z

Young Writers Society



A Fool's Bucket - Ch. 14.2

by ExOmelas


Eventually Misene came back to the moment and the continued their conversation until Wailune came through to tell them that dinner was ready. Wailune was slightly short, with brown skin and hair tied carefully back into a bun that sat low on the back of his head. If Buck remembered right, that was only for while he was making dinner, and afterwards Wailune would set free voluminous frizzy dark hair that draped around his shoulders. He led them all to the dining room, then helped Misene get Lundene set up in a little wooden highchair at one end of the table.

The food they were brought was both exciting and homely, a simple stew but with some fruits that Buck hadn’t tasted much of in a long time. The valley had its own range of berries and many, many different kinds of potato, but Buck hadn’t tasted a banana in months. He let the conversation wash over him as he ate, chipping in when he felt like it, not worrying if silences popped up every now and then. He had a wonderful meal in front of him, and he just wanted to appreciate it.

As he finished his stew, he was going to take advantage of a momentary lull to discuss the current fashions in the city. He thought he might try and get Dorrea one extra present to go with her massive haul for the day. Wailune was a tailor as well so Buck wondered if he had any particular top tips to share. But just at that moment Lundene started to murmur and stretch forward over the end of her chair towards Wailune.

Wailune leaned over and kissed her on the head. As he stood up he said, “Yes, yes. I can get you some more milk, honey.” He left the room for a moment and came back carrying a little grey flask. As he held it up and walked towards her, he said, “You’re in luck actually, because Rostine couldn’t get a babysitter today so she was nursing her little one during her lunch break. She had some milk left over, so she thought you might like it.” He poured it into Lundene’s empty cup and held it up to her lips. Immediately, she started gulping and he had to take it away before she choked herself. She grinned up at him, smiling and clapping.

“Ooh that’s cool!” Rydone exclaimed. “Is it safe?”

“Well, we mostly use milk from Gorbane, the girl who gave birth to Lundene in the first place,” Wailune explained. “Just for the first six months or so, you know. It was so kind of her to volunteer. We had thought about this, but, well…” He shrugged.

“It seemed a big ask,” Milene said. “She was already giving us a baby, you know.”

“Wait, so you do you have a big box of breast milk somewhere?” Rydone asked.

Wailune chuckled. “No, one of us drops into the tavern on the way home and she gives us a day’s worth at a time. I offered to pay her once but she was very explicit about the fact that she wanted to volunteer this, for Lundene.”

Misene nodded. “We keep it in a hole in the ground, with some wooden planks keeping the damp out. That usually keeps it cold for the length of a day.”

Buck chuckled. “You could use help from my dad. Last I heard he was an expert in cooling devices.”

“That would be fantastic,” Wailune said.

Misene twisted around to face Buck, the back of his black wooden chair squeaking slightly. “Is Pires still trying to get him back?”

Buck smiled slightly. It was nice to be back among people who had heard ‘The Lay of a Lost Father’.

“Oh! That reminds me!” Wailune rushed out of the room again, and came back even quicker with a little white envelope. He handed it to Buck. “Pires dropped this off in the shop today. She came in to get some clothes for another big ceremony she’s planning. She asked me to give this to you, since she couldn’t seem to find you at your treehouse.”

“I was at my mum’s – I mean Victane’s,” Buck said as he took it. Clearly Pires had had more luck with letter writing today than him. “Would anyone mind if I read this now?”

“No, go ahead,” Wailune said, “Sorry I forgot to give it to you before.”

Buck shook his head. “All good.” But he wasn’t really paying attention to Wailune anymore.

BUCK. BUCKET. BUTTANE. IT IS TIME. I HAVE MADE CONTACT WITH THE NATION TO THE SOUTH. THEY ARE SENDING AN ENVOY.

Now that I have your attention, I’ll explain.

When yours and Erson’s letters reached me, I knew that the time was here. I wrote once again to the leader of the band with whom we communicated before, and offered them an audience with our prince. A week it took for that letter to get there, safe in the hands of our finest sailors. They must have been waiting for this, because a week later our ship returned – with an affirmative reply on board.

They will be here in two weeks, Buck. Two weeks.

I do not yet know if they are bringing your father.

Enclosed are some ideas I have for a welcoming ceremony – hopefully it will go better than the last one. Please peruse me and come find me at your earliest convenience. I doubt I will be able to calm down enough to sleep any time soon, so if you would like to come see me tonight please feel free to do so.

Your friend,

Pires.

Buck briefly flicked through the pages behind, which were full of brainstormed ideas in increasingly messy handwriting. But he would look at that on the way to the palace – in the morning.

He looked up at Rydone, then looked at Misene, then Wailune and Lundene. “Um… can I have a hug?”

Before he knew it Misene had leant into him and Rydone had darted around from the other side of the table. He sank into their warmth for a moment.

“Do you want to explain what’s going on?” Rydone asked.

“Nuh-uh,” Buck murmured. “Hug now. Thinking later.”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
4101 Reviews


Points: 254038
Reviews: 4101

Donate
Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:00 am
View Likes
KateHardy wrote a review...



Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening/Night(whichever one it is in your part of the world)

The penultimate review for this one.

First Impression: Looks like the second part of the plan just might work out for Buck but then you can never be sure. Also does this mean that Buck no longer works in Pires' court if she had to come find him to deliver a letter? Also how does Wailune cover so manu shifts as a guard while also doing a tailoring business.

The food they were brought was both exciting and homely, a simple stew but with some fruits that Buck hadn’t tasted much of in a long time. The valley had its own range of berries and many, many different kinds of potato, but Buck hadn’t tasted a banana in months. He let the conversation wash over him as he ate, chipping in when he felt like it, not worrying if silences popped up every now and then. He had a wonderful meal in front of him, and he just wanted to appreciate it.


That's a great bit of description of the food there but this would mean that the past week that he's been here Buck has somehow avoided a banana. Seems like he would've gone and eaten one sometime in that week.

“Wait, so you do you have a big box of breast milk somewhere?” Rydone asked.


Wait, hasn't she been around the past few months. They got the baby like before Buck was banished or sometime around that. How has Rydone has somehow not run into this whole milk thing before in all that time?

“Oh! That reminds me!” Wailune rushed out of the room again, and came back even quicker with a little white envelope. He handed it to Buck. “Pires dropped this off in the shop today. She came in to get some clothes for another big ceremony she’s planning. She asked me to give this to you, since she couldn’t seem to find you at your treehouse.”


Once I have to ask how does Wailune manage to run a tailoring shop that caters the Duchess while also putting in extra shifts at work?

When yours and Erson’s letters reached me, I knew that the time was here. I wrote once again to the leader of the band with whom we communicated before, and offered them an audience with our prince. A week it took for that letter to get there, safe in the hands of our finest sailors. They must have been waiting for this, because a week later our ship returned – with an affirmative reply on board.

They will be here in two weeks, Buck. Two weeks.

I do not yet know if they are bringing your father.


Looks like Buck might get what he wants after all. Unless Erson does more farting in the welcome ceremony.

“Nuh-uh,” Buck murmured. “Hug now. Thinking later.”


This is definitely the way to go in a situation like that.

And that's it for this.

Overall: Some exciting news in this one. As for the rest it was a little bit of backstory that was delivered pretty well except for that fact that Rydone seems to be asking questions that she should know the answer to.

As always take what you think was helpful and forget the rest.

Stay Safe
Harry




User avatar
1464 Reviews


Points: 83957
Reviews: 1464

Donate
Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:04 pm
View Likes
JabberHut wrote a review...



Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww there is so much cute and sweetness in this bit and I have to say that I am just pleased to see normalcy in Buck's life. I kinda went on and on about it last segment, but it's just really nice to see. Buck clearly needed this kind of companionship. He's been non-stop working for so long, it seemed, that now he can finally be himself with people who know him inside and out.

Like, Buck can even mention his father, comforted by the fact he doesn't have to go into explanations or cover his slip-ups with more [white] lies. I, as the reader, probably feel more relieved for him on his behalf.

One of the biggest aspects to this segment/chapter is Wailune's introduction. We're finally meeting him for the first time, and I have to say that I love him so much. He definitely has a more outgoing personality to Misene's reservedness, and that's a great step in showing us how these two are compatible with each other. But I also love the physical description of him and how his personality seems to ooze through his looks -- the temporary bun when he's cooking, etc.

He's actually a very skilled guy, holy crap! I'm honestly impressed, and I'll bet Misene would believe he's just as lucky to have such a smart and talented person in his life. Wailune is a guard, so he's got some skills required for that position, but he's also a cook and a tailor. I wonder if he's one of those guys who wants to try everything -- like a jack of all trades, master of none. (I know I am ahahaha.)

Also the way he talked to Lucene, I giggled reading it without a baby voice as if she were an adult. XD (also lucene is so ADORABLE i smiled the whole bit)

I did find it interesting that Pires gave the letter to Wailune in confidence, but that's mainly because I barely know Wailune as it is, so I don't know how close he is to Buck. I know they all knew of him, but I didn't know to what extent they were familiar with Wailune. I'm only just meeting him now. That said. I expected Pires to give it to Rydone or Misene.

I LOVE PIRES' LETTER. The letter sounded SO MUCH like her. I love how her personality really shines in this. Right away, we see a hastily-written tldr at the top that transitions so beautifully into her message and I just got a really huge kick out of reading this. XD

That aside, KINDA HUGE NEWS. Even if they don't have Buck's father, there's progress. People are actually coming to Resador and there could be a potential advancement in Buck's goal to find him and I just. I honest-to-goodness love Buck's reaction here too. This is a shocking moment that welcomes all kinds of emotions -- good and bad -- so he asks for a hug. c: IT'S SO SWEET AND PRECIOUS AND I JUST it's so relatable and perfect and simple.

Buck is undoubtedly excited but worried, optimistic yet realistic -- like he has to put things into perspective, but he's desperately wanted to save his father for years and to think that there was finally some progress on that front -- that there's hope coming to Resador -- I relate to him trying desperately not to get overly optimistic. Staying realistic in these cases can be so dreadfully hard. We'll see his true reaction next chapter, if he's still in a state of shock or processing his emotions still, or if he's finally collected himself and is taking it one step at a time without getting excited -- he's clearly not overly-excited 'cause he isn't planning to visit Pires tonight. He's also not hurriedly telling his friends and mother what the letter says. I'm pretty sure he's just processing things now and will handle it in the morning when he's gathered his thoughts about it.

we'll see tho :D

It just occurred to me that Wailune was reminded of the letter after Misene asked about Buck's father. XD Did Wailune read this ahead of time? I don't know if it's a big deal, but it intrigues me for some reason.

Anyway, I really enjoyed this chapter, and I love how the ending brings us back to the main plot and moves it forward. So I'm looking forward to reading the next part! :D




ExOmelas says...


ooooops I gave Wailune two jobs. I decided I wanted him to be a tailor a while ago because I wanted him to be someone who was an expert in one particular part of Buck's life (brightly coloured clothes) and they could have something to talk about. But I also wanted Victane to know him because I wanted to give the city that small town feel. He could be both???? I guess I don't know him well yet and like you say jack-of-all-trades is a legit idea so he could have several jobs? Maybe trying to make ends meet with the baby and such? Will figure this out xD

I was hoping I could avoid the impression that he remembered when Buck talked about his father. It was meant to be the mention of Pires. Can fidget with that.

Anyways, thanks for your reviews! I was worried this was too fluffy but I figured if I was enjoying writing it then you would enjoy reading it. I feel like Buck, as much of an ass as he's been, he did deserve this. Besides, I knew I was about to throw him into this next plot step, so I wanted to give him a little bit of peace first :P

Thanks again! :D



JabberHut says...


LOL I totally get that. I think it kinda worked with guard duty being his job and tailoring being a hobby, but it could easily be him working a second job to help make ends meet or guard duty is meant to support his passion for tailoring. I never really considered he was someone working two jobs. XD

FLUFF IS GOOD. It's good to give our MCs a break sometimes, a nice reminder of normalcy or who they are away from the craziness that is Plot. Also gives the reader a breather too, not just Buck. XD So yeah, I think this chapter worked incredibly well (AND SO FUN TO READ).




I would like to be the air that inhabits you for a moment only. I would like to be that unnoticed and that necessary.
— Margaret Atwood