A Fool's Bucket - Ch. 7.2

by ExOmelas

A/N: Full disclosure, I haven't spent much time planning Buck's mum's personality... by which I mean I forgot to do it. I have an idea in my head but the seeds I'm trying to plant are a little rushed. Let me know what you think I guess?

---

Dorea led them back up the hill a bit, and west, walking along parallel to the side of the palace. It stretched out for even longer than buck had realised from the angle he'd seen it before. It would actually be quite exciting to explore all that, but for now he followed his mother as she ushered him and the guards into her cottage.

He didn't remember the living room very well - all his memories just seemed a little dark. But as he stepped through the door, he realised that was because the lighting was just poor. There were two windows, but both were small squares quite high up in the wall. Glass wasn't as readily available up here, and even the homes that lacked glass in Resador City could afford to have nice big windows because the air they were letting in wasn't too cold. If Dorea's windows were any bigger, the cold northern air would filter in and give them all the chills.

The sofa was made of a long wooden crate, with a few planks as a backboard. There were thick woollen blankets piled on top of each other to sit on. It wasn't as uncomfortable as Buck was expecting, but it did force him to sit with somewhat better posture than he was accustomed to.

"So how was the journey?" Dorea called through from the kitchen. Buck could hear the clank of metal and water being poured. A moment later a hissing began, which he assumed was the kettle being put on, because soon his mum came back and sat on a thin wooden chair nearer the door.

"Not bad," Buck said. "I had forgotten how beautiful a lot of the countryside is. Plus, I had some interesting conversations with folk I met in passing on the way here, so there was rarely a dull moment."

Buck glanced at Hilene, who was sitting at the same little circular table as his mum. He didn't seem to have flinched, so perhaps he only had an aversion to plotting and information gathering if Buck tried to rope him into it.

"Is that right?" Dorea said. "What sort of conversations? Learn any interesting information?"

Buck rubbed the back of his neck and could have sworn his mum smirked. He'd thought what he'd said could just as easily have been taken as him talking about hearing lots of interesting ghost stories, but his mum seemed to know exactly what he was thinking.

He shifted around a little. "Well, I did hear something about Erson that makes what happened at the palace make more sense."

At this, even Hilene's eyes widened. "You did? Is it fixable? I thought at the time that was harsh on you, you know."

"I appreciate that, Hilene," Buck said, smiling at the concern in his voice. "What I learned may well be common knowledge up here, and judging by the number of travellers headed for Resador City maybe it's common knowledge down there too by now. But anyway, I learned that Erson is already in love."

"Oh..." Victane said. Then he seemed to pause to let it sink in properly. "So that's why he hated the suggestion of marriage. But then... why isn't he simply married?"

"You really don't know?" Dorea asked. The kettle started to whistle and she had to go back to the kitchen, but she called through, "The Queen doesn't like the match."

Hilene scoffed. "According to that shepherd, the Queen doesn't like a lot of things."

Dorea poked her head through from the kitchen. "And which shepherd was this?"

"He didn't say his name," Buck said, reaching into his pocket for his parchment. "Why?"

Dorea shook her head. "Never mind. And that's Prince Erson to you, by the way."

Hilene gulped as she disappeared again. "Oops."

"Don't worry about it," Buck said, finding himself grinning a little, "I think she was telling me off more than you."

When Dorea came back through holding the first two mugs, Buck got up to help her with the others. When he came back, Hilene was saying, "I just wanted to check. Like, it wasn't a big deal exactly."

"What's this?" Buck asked, handing a mug of tea to Hilene.

"Oh, just that shepherd. The whole thing about not seeing many people of my complexion. It's probably not a big deal, honestly." Hilene raised his hands as if in surrender.

"It is true that we don't see many folks with darker skin up here," Dorea said, accepting her own tea from Buck. Buck's and Victane's had been put on a small coffee table in front of them. "But I'd hope it wouldn't be an issue. Most folks don't seem to mind what they do get coming up from the south."

"What's that?" Victane asked, sipping his tea.

Dorea tapped her own mug. "Exotic foodstuffs."

Victane snorted his tea with the least dignity Buck had ever seen from him. He looked down at the contents of his mug. "A fair point."

In the silence that followed, thoughts fluttered about in Buck's head but he couldn't get them to sit still. And underneath them all was a warm fuzziness whenever he looked at his mum, which rather distracted him from any attempt to join dots together. He put the thoughts from his mind for a moment, and settled into chatting with his mum and his friends.

Eventually, Buck had to bring the conversation around to sleeping arrangements. He'd warned Hilene and Victane that there wouldn't be room for all of them in his mother's cottage, but he would pay for a stay at an inn using Pires's money.

"Mum, is there an inn nearby?" he asked.

"Not exactly," she said. "There's bothies dotted around that people sometimes stay in if there's space free."

Hilene's eyebrows shot up. "What if they're all full?"

Dorea chuckled and shrugged. "Then everyone squeezes in tighter together."

"I don't suppose there's any chance that Buck here could sing for our board in the palace?" Victane chuckled.

"Ah, it's not like back down in-" Dorea started to say, then she leaned forward and exclaimed, "Actually, I tell a lie! I almost forgot that the Princess has decided to invite some performers to the palace this evening. I think she's getting a little jealous of her big brother."

Buck too had almost forgotten about Princess Myal, but more her existence in general than some court she may be assembling. He had heard very little about Erson either before the past two weeks, away down in Resador. The city especially was like its own little world.

"I could do that," he said. "What time?"

"I think some people might have been milling around for a while already. Just whoever's not busy with their livestock will probably drift in and out," Dorea said, waving one hand slowly back and forth.

"Will they be expecting, er... ballads on the slower side?" Buck asked.

"Who, the shepherds?" Dorea tilted her head to the side. "Not particularly. The Princess though, you might want to go easy on her. Nothing too intense, alright? Her family haven't had much time for singing these past few years. Actually, I suppose the palace has never been known for song around here. That's more of a campfire thing."

"So what do you think, Buc- Buttane?" Victane asked.

Buck glanced towards his mum, wondering if she'd been hoping for a night at home with him. But she was smiling, and so was Hilene, so he looked back at Victane and said, "Nice and easy. Yeah, I... guess I can do that."

Continuing with Chapter 7,

First Impression: Ooh. Adding another dimension. I think this is a touch like a filler but to answer your question Dorea is giving off generic motherly vibes at the moment. I don't get much of a unique trait quite yet.

Anyway on with the review,

Nice bit of subtle world building there.

Good to see Buck is paying attention to all that.

Plot twist. I like that. Introduces some interesting complications to the plot.

That's a nice moment there. Shows a good connection between Buck and his mother.

I get the feeling that Buck wasn't the only one who forget her existence but maybe that's just me. You should probably mention her at least once earlier.

Sounds like we are in for another great song courtesy of Buck. Excited to see what you came up with.

And that is it for this review.

Overall: Bit of a filler sounding chapter but it ends on a pretty good note.

And I'll take a break now but I'll be back to finish off Chapter 7 soon. As always remember to take what you think will help and forget the rest

LadyMysterio wrote a review...

I'm am back to review another chapter, the one before the one I just review by the sound of it.

You have a great description of the surroundings, here as well as with the character's facial expressions.
Even though you haven't given much thought to Buck's mom, I like her.
The story isn't too rushed or to slow and you keep the reader entertained and engaged throughout the story.

That is about all I have to say
-Lady Mysterio

Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:23 pm

She's just as sweet as I thought she'd be!!

I really like her. Considering you haven't given her much thought before, she's already shaping up to be Buck's mother. She's sweet with a similar sense of humor as Buck's, and she seems just so happy! She just FEELS like a female version of Buck. She even has so much energy, considering how much she was running around and how eager she was to talk.

And the fact that she didn't know what shepherd Hilene was talking about tells me that either 1) more than one shepherd gripes like that about the queen hahahaha or 2) she legitimately doesn't know who this could be. I like to think it's the former though. XD

The way their conversation started in the house made me wonder how the conversation on the road beforehand went. Maybe there wasn't any chatter on the way home?! Or perhaps Dorea was busy catching Buck up on life at the farm and hadn't asked him how the journey was yet? I don't know how on earch this occurred to me, but I did wonder about it!

I freaking LOVE her house omg. It feels like a little hobbit hole for some reason. It also feels very self-sustained, and I can't help but feel like Victane would TOTALLY love it here. I don't know whY YOU'VE PLANTED A BUG IN MY BRAIN AND I SHIP THEM NOW.

We didn't get a lot of Victane here though, so there isn't really a hint of a ship here between him and Dorea yet. But you do give us one nugget, where Victane has a chuckle about findng room and board at the palace, and that actually gives Dorea an idea. Like, that alone is adorable and feeds my heart and soul.

Kinda sad Victane and Hilene won't be sleeping on the floor for some reason I don't know why. They're gonna be so far away if Buck earns the guards some rooms. :C

We DID get a lot more Hilene though, and I simply love the fact that he's so freaking comfortable with Buck's mother. Because now we see Hilene talking more than Victane, rather than the other way around. IT'S SUCH A CUTE BALANCE BETWEEN THESE GUARDS GUH. Also, Hilene's snark over the shepherd was hilarious and well-deliverd. (Though I don't know why Dorea made a quip about him not calling him Prince Erson. I think Hilene only addressed the queen??)

And DOREA'S COMMENT ABOUT FOODSTUFFS LIKE *YES* YES WHAT A FREAKING WINNER

ALSO PRINCESS OMG. I'm really excited about this idea of Erson's sister getting involved. I wonder if she's far more social than he is, or if she's super reserved due to her older brother's dominance. The fact that she might be jealous of her brother tells me that she's probably got a little more spunk and I just CANNOT wait to see if she and Buck will get along or not. I just want to meet her so I can KNOW WHO SHE IS AND HOW SHE'LL FIT.

and omg I love this idea that singing in general is more of a "campfire thing". Like how clever is this ?? It's almost like a Footloose approach, but simply calling it a "campfire thing" made me so freaking GIDDY. Buck is gonna save the WORLD WITH MUSIC ASLDFJASL;DK

ExOmelas says...

hi hi sorry I'm late, I read this a while ago on my phone but was busy so couldn't say thanks - so thank you :D

I did actually mean that she was telling Buck off about "that's prince erson to you" and Hilene had got confused. I don't know to what extent I meant to turn him into myself, but he may be something of an anxious boy. I think that fits with his whole not wanting to slip up and say something he shouldn't in Pires's court, right? I might try and make him cooler in some scenarios, poor thing xD

Thanks again :D

True belonging doesn’t require you to change who you are, it requires you to be who you are.
— Brené Brown