The Quest for Fire - Into the Mists - Chapter Nineteen

by felistia

Zoltar woke a few hours later. The wind had stopped howling and had been replaced by the gentle pattering of rain on the rocks outside. The cave was dim with only the light of a few glow worms over head to provide some elimination.

As he lay there, Zoltar could hear the faint gurgle of a stream. It was coming from deeper inside the cave.

‘That’s strange,’ he thought as he listened. He’d never seen or heard of a river underground. Curiosity welled within him and he found himself compelled to find the source of the distant lapping water.

The feeling was fleeting however as Zoltar’s thoughts returned to his present situation. He was in an unknown cave, on a strange island at night with serious wounds that left him unable to fly.

The river would have to wait for now. It would be a life saver later though if he had to stay here a while.

Gritting his teeth, Zoltar attempted to get to his feet. Sharp stabs of pain shot through his back and belly and he was forced to lay back down.

This wasn’t good. He could barely move without reopening a wound. How was he going to get food? Injuries like this could take weeks to heal and he could only go two to three weeks without food. Water wasn’t a problem thank goodness. He could only last a few days without water.

He could venture out and see if he could find something to eat, but then he risked running into the raptors or even worse a Wisp Talon and he was in no condition to defend himself. If a predator found him, he was as good as dead.

One of two things could happen. He could stay in the cave for a few weeks and let his lesions heal with the help of the river or go back to the hunting grounds in the hope that Felistia or Shiraku would find him. The last one wasn’t really an option at the moment though. He couldn’t go out there like this. He’d be an easy target for any predator. He’d have to wait until he was a bit better, though by then Felistia and Shiraku would probably have stopped looking for him, if they were looking for him at all.

Zoltar sighed and rested his head on his paws. Time was ticking away for him to complete his quest for the ruby. Every day counted and here he was looking at wasting at least a month healing and that was the best case scenario. He might not survive at all.

The metallic sound of scales brushing past leaves cut through the silence. Zoltar stiffened. Crouching behind his hiding place, Zoltar held his breath as the sound of claws clacking against stone echoed throughout the cave.

Zoltar’s heart hammered in his ears as thoughts whirled through his head. What could it be? Was it a Wisp Talon, a raptor or some other predator? More importantly, did it know he was here?

The creature’s scales scraped against the cave floor and all went silent.

The seconds past without a sound.

Where was it? What was it doing? Zoltar couldn’t bare the silence, but he didn’t dare look for fear, whatever it was, would see him. If he could stay hidden and allude its senses maybe he’d be able to last the night.

This is what happened when you made friends with other dragons. If he hadn’t tried to be the hero, hadn’t tried to gain a bit of Shiraku’s trust, he wouldn’t be in this mess. Why had he been so stupid? It had been an unnecessary risk to his mission and he hadn’t served to gain anything from it. He needed a Wisp Talon scale. That was it. It wasn’t that hard. Yet here he was, alone and wounded, without help and for nothing.

Scorpus would be so disappointed. Zoltar almost laughed at the irony of it. He’d made the same sort of mistake that Scorpus had. It had cost Scorpus and Nira their lives. What was his error going to cost him?

A faint whimpering broke the silence, jerking Zoltar from his thoughts. He cocked his head. It was coming from where the creature had lain down. He strained his ears, listening. It was more than a mere whimper. The creature was crying.

It was crying? It couldn’t be a raptor or some predatory animal then. Zoltar feel his stomach turn. It must be a dragon. It couldn’t be Felistia and Shiraku. They’d be back at the cave for the night. He couldn’t expect them out until morning. Which meant only one thing. There was a Wisp Talon in the cave with him.

What was he going to do? A Wisp Talon was the worst possible thing that could have come into the cave. It could detect him at any moment.

Zoltar shrank back against the stalagmites, suddenly aware of how vital his pitch black scales were. He must last the night.

The Wisp Talon would leave eventually. If he could just make it until then.

Minutes went by, with only the sound of the Wisp Talons muffled sobs to break the silence.

As he lay there, Zoltar’s thoughts spun around his head. Why was it crying? It seemed alone as he hadn’t heard any other footsteps. Why was it out here in this storm without others of its kind? He mulled over these questions as the minutes dragged past.

The Wisp Talon breathed a shaky sigh as it stopped weeping. “Oh Lera. What are we going to do?” she whispered.

Zoltar’s ears pricked up. He recognized that voice. How could he forget it? It was Emerald.

Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:11 pm
Necromancer14 wrote a review...

Wooh! Cliffhangers! I love 'em.

Anyway here's my review:

This was an interesting chapter, as we get to see some more of Zoltar's thoughts as he's in quite the pickle. The descriptions were good like usual, and also like usual I would've preferred more of them. When you're really good at descriptions and can make them interesting, go ahead and put lots of them in! I mean, Charles Dickens got away with tons of descriptions. Anyway for character development Zoltar is, well, definitely in a pickle, like I said, and his thoughts of "I made a mistake" was interesting. Also I don't know why Felistia and Shiraku wouldn't go looking for him to see if he survived, unless they don't really care about him. (Which I'm pretty sure at least Felistia cares about his welfare.) Plus, I'm SUPER curious about Emerald and the Wisp Talons and what on Earth is going on with them.

Anyway that's my review! I hope it was helpful.

Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:53 am

Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening/Night (whichever one it is in your part of the world),

Almost halfway but not quite,

First Impression:

The part that is reviewing this: Interesting development. Also nice little depiction of how severe the wounds are.

The other part of the brain: "Keep an eye out. That theory I mentioned. It sounds very likely"

Anyway on with it,

Nice little subtle description on how frequently he has to eat.

This seems contradictory. If he can survive for two weeks he should be at least partially healed and better able to get something to eat.

Here I don't see why Shiraku or Felistia couldn't locate him. This cave must be fairly close to the point that they were hinting and they should be able to locate him with a fairly simple search if they bothered to look.

Another bit of nice tension.

Oof! He does make a good point. He could have run way too. But then he has the curse of being the protagonist of the story.

This mistake though is a very different one. I don't think you can compare the two. Scorpus chose to ignore the danger completely and lacked the foresight to see it. Here he had a pretty good idea of the danger and just decided to be a bit of a hero.

Which meant only one thing. There was a Wisp Talon in the cave with him.

Hasn't he been told that there were other outcasts here? Wouldn't it make more sense for him to assume it was another dragon especially because an outcast like that would have much more reason to be sheltering in a cave and crying?

And things just got even more interesting.

And that's it for this chapter.

Overall: Nice bit of mystery built up here about this Emerald. Looks like she might play a bigger part in the story. Also nice that you remind us of the mission.

Okay that's all. As always take what you think helps and forget the rest.

felistia says...

Thank you again. Now that you've got into the story somewhat, you're coming up with a lot of good points as far as inconsistency goes. It's going to be so helpful once I get back to editing. Thank you so much for all your reviews.

HarryHardy says...

Your Welcome!!! Hoping to get out another review before I have to take a break. And I'll do my best to finish book 1 before the day is out.

Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:08 pm
Liberty wrote a review...

Heya felistia!

Hope you're doing well today or tonight, depending on what side of the world you're on. I'm here to give you a review! Let's start, before I forget. :P

Zoltar you are a hero! You saved them, and you're nothing like Scorpus. You were being kind and passionate about getting food and you offered, so yay! You're a better dragon than Scorpus, so it's okaaaaayyy.

Oooh, it's Emerald! She's the nice one! Ahhh! What's gonna happen? Why's my girl crying? And she's talking to some Lera dragoness.

The chapter went smoothly, not too slow, not too fast. It's very nice. Not much happened, but this Emerald part really pops out and makes me want to read more, and that's exactly what I'll do after this review. (:

Alright, I have a couple of critiques before I wrap up the review.

The cave was dim with only the light of a few glow worms over head to provide some elimination.

I think you meant "illumination" instead of "elimination".

The seconds past without a sound.

Instead of "past", I think "passed" would do better.

Zoltar couldn’t bare the silence, but he didn’t dare look for fear, whatever it was, would see him.

And instead of "bare", "bear" would work better.

Okay, so I'm done with my review! Hope this helped in some sort of way. Of course, if you have any questions, feel free to reach out.

And as always...

~Liberty

Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:45 pm
Awru wrote a review...

Oh!!Zoltar ofcourse it was right for you to play the hero.U r a hero!!I am glad to see Emerald back.I think Zoltar is going to help her in a way and get that scale.The underground river thing sparked up my interest real good.This novel just keeps getting more and more interesting and versatile.You don't let anyone get unhooked.I guessing maybe that river is some sort of heaven on earth for Zoltar and his allies.I am already missing Felistia and Shiraku but ofcourse they will be back.I just wish there were more male dragons.
Keep Up the Excellent work :smt023

peace out

YAY!! I missed this! <3

This made me laugh, but I think you meant illumination. XD DEATHLY GLOW WORMS INCOMING.

The second paragraph seemed contradictory to the point made in the previous paragraph. xD We already established that he can't move without reopening wounds or making them worse, so why would he consider going out for food? The narrator already clarified he'd have to consider not eating for 2-3 weeks.

FORGET THEM, ZOLTAR. YOU GOT THIS. You were planning to be alone anyway IT'S COOL YOU GOT THIS.

The seconds past without a sound.

Passed. I don't know why I'm correcting spelling right now. But I do know passed/past can be confusing and takes some practice. :D

Zoltar couldn’t bare the silence

Bear the silence. :D Bare means naked, but bear is used in just about every other case.

BECAUSE YOU'RE A HERO, ZOLTAR. YOU'RE A SOLDIER. It's in your boooooones.

Well, Scorpus just wasn't cautious or observant. Zoltar was being helpful and considerate. I'm just saying, Zoltar. I gotchu.

A WISP TALON?!

Are wisp talons okay with storms or do they prefer to be indoors? Do they have a preference? Zoltar made it sound like Wisp Talons would be out in the storm anyway, but I would assume dragons would prefer to stay out of it. Maybe we just don't know much about Wisp Talons yet!

EMERALD.

OMG IT'S EMERALD. SHE'S THE NICE ONE. AHHHHHHHHHH.

This was a pretty well-paced chapter. Nothing really happened, but it was necessary to go through his options and consider what he can do next. So this was good, and at the same time, it brings back Emerald from earlier to keep us interested. I look forward to the next chapterrrr!

Jabber, the One and Only!

felistia says...

Thank you again for another chapter. I'll see about writing the next one soon. :D

felistia says...

*review. Lol. Not chapter.

You are going to love some of your characters because they are you, or some facet of you, and you are going to hate some characters for the same reason.
— Anne Lamott