Conics Unfortunately: 70

by Ventomology

The last few weeks were a flurry. Ellipse’s arms ached from playing the drum beats of her solo song over and over, until she had a series of sounds she could actually synthesize from on the computer. Her throat hurt from singing her voice raw, and her lips buzzed unpleasantly from the trumpet. Now if she could just get into the recording studio without anyone noticing.

The opulent decor of the satellite surrounded her on all sides, still glittering with inlays and well-shined carvings. Ellipse strode confidently, her face set in the same stern frown she wore when inspiration hit for a new song. People walking around the satellite knew that face by now, and knew better than to bother her when she wore it.

It was best not to interrupt the genius while profiting off of her.

The lights were dimmed, glowing dark red to provide light without interfering with people’s sleep cycles. Ellipse felt sluggish, and her eyes kept threatening to droop, but she had a short window in which to do this, and she needed the element of surprise. If she was not expected in the recording studio, the monitoring on file exports and deletions from the servers would be lighter.

Not sparing a glance over her shoulder, Ellipse slipped into the studio. It was roomier than the music rooms, with a soundproof box for the computers and boards and a large, open space for bands and singers and microphones. The walls had been covered up with wood and spongy acoustic panels to help with the sound quality, since metal made everything sound tinny.

Ellipse darted into the computer room and locked the door behind her. She zeroed in on her usual computer, its screen black but its lights blinking rapidly, and raced to wake it up. Her fingers shook as she typed in her password, and as the welcome screen slid away, on came her still-open sound editor. The export to an mp3 had a tiny sliver of time left, and so she opened the obligatory word processor. She brought up her statement, read it over once, and let out a short breath.

The song finished exporting. Everything was ready.

In the black room, lit up only by the computers and their flickering lights, Ellipse opened the satellite-wide email server and attached her song and statement, then sent it to herself. It popped up on her watch a moment later, only milliseconds after she turned on the tiny watch screen.

A bright yellow warning notice lit up the computer screen, but Ellipse ignored it. She forwarded the email through Tejal and Focci’s pinpoint fold generator on the Ink and waited, breath held, as the tiny loading circle on her watch spun around and around.

And then it disappeared, and a tiny window confirmed that the message had sent. The deed was done. The information on Andra-Media’s treatment of her was out in the universe now, away from the satellite’s databases. In minutes, the boys would have her story on every inhabited planet and moon and man-made-space-place in the known universe.

As her eyes flicked up to the yellow warning screen, Ellipse considered the math. Her statement was to be leaked to news outlets in addition to its original postings, and the journalists needed time to write. Once the story was passed around on Earth, it could be another few hours, even a day or so, before someone arrived at the Andra-Media headquarters to investigate.

With a heavy exhale, Ellipse glanced around the dark computer room. She had no reason to play innocent here. In fact, the more torture she could undergo before someone from Earth showed up, the better. She needed every bit of evidence she could get her hands on.

Ellipse tapped the computer screen to make the warning go away and figured if she was going out, she might as well do it with a bang. She pressed play on the mp3 of her song and turned up the volume as loud as it would go.

Immediately, a low thrum echoed through the room as drum beats layered in one on top of the other. A quiet trumpet drifted in, and then came her own voice.

Sirens demonstrated sincerity through the clearness of their singing, with perfect jumps between notes and open, bell-like tones, and though earthling singers sometimes went for raggedness or breaks to get across their most powerful emotions, Ellipse went full siren for this one. Her voice, crystalline and airy, bellowed through the speakers in an undulating melody that rose and fell like waves.

Supposedly, this one was for her debut. It was supposed to be a powerful, soulful opener to a long and successful idol career, with the idea that Ellipse would cater to more solemn tastes while Andra continued to put out bops and bangers and cheerful dance tunes. And in truth, Ellipse did write something soulful; the lyrics in both English and Trade Siren told a story of breaking chains and the gift of freedom. But Ellipse had no desire to be crafted into a star. She would write music again, but not for Andra-Media.

She span in her chair just as the song entered the bridge, smiling as the trumpet descant she had struggled with fluttered above the drums. Then she blew a raspberry and imagined the looks on people’s faces when they walked in to find her. Her guard would probably be flustered, concerned about her whereabouts. The rest of security would remain emotionless behind dark glasses, but Ellipse would take pride in getting one or two mouths to drop open.

The lady in white would probably startle at first, and then settle into her normal threatening voice. That would be less fun.

Ellipse stopped the chair when she faced the door and slumped into the cushions like she owned the place. Spreading her knees to give the impression of confidence, she crossed her arms and took a few deep breaths. She would be fine.

The door burst open right as her song restarted, and Ellipse thought it quite fitting. The rumbling bass drums and timpani provided excellent accompaniment to stomping guards. They filtered in, two by two, and arced the room, leaving space for the lady in white to stand in the doorway.

As Ellipse had predicted, she stiffened when she spotted Ellipse.

“Elliott,” the lady said, her nasal voice cold, “what is going on?”

“Ahh, nothing,” Ellipse replied. She forced herself to sound airy and unconcerned. “I think you will find out in about six days? Give or take one or two, of course. It takes time to get across the solar system.”

The lady stepped forward, her slippers slapping on the ground. “Repeat that again for me.”

“It takes time to get across the solar system.” Ellipse gave the lady a pitying pout. “Everyone knows that… Penelope.” That was her name, right?

“Not. That.”

Ellipse arched an eyebrow and pulled her mouth into a straight line. “I leaked that song you wanted to use for my debut. Whoops. It was never for your use anyways.”

“You are under contract,” the woman hissed. “Any music you produce belongs to Andra-Media.”

Spinning the chair in a slow circle, Ellipse shrugged. “Oh, I do not mind facing a civil court case. Especially not if the Andra-Media corporation is going to international court for violating child labor agreements. By the way, I know Titan keeps track of the military spacecraft. Does anyone know if one of the UN ships is nearby?””

The guards shifted uneasily, their dark outfits just barely visible under the lights from the computers. The lady in white trembled, and the blue lights cast long shadows over her angry snarl.

“I know the Bellevue hangs around Titan, especially since the citizen database attacks,” Ellipse mused. “If she comes, that would mean, oh, maybe an hour for the story to go to the UN, and then maybe another hour to decide to send someone to check around, and then another hour and a half to send a transmission to the Bellevue, and then they would be here within the day.”

“So go ahead,” Ellipse finished, coming back to face the lady, “punish me.”

“It takes almost two hours for any signal from this satellite to reach Earth,” the lady said. She sounded confident again, except for the little quiver at the end of her sentence. Ellipse’s change in attitude must have thrown her off. “It has to travel from-

“Here to Titan to Earth,” Ellipse finished, “and be approved by the people manning the servers and transmissions. I know. Let us just call it my extensive, universe-altering, little secret, shall we?” She stood up and presented her wrists, pressed together and ready to be bound. “Do your worst. I will always be ahead of you.”

With a frustrated breath, the lady pivoted and rushed out the door. “Bring her to her room,” she ordered.

Ellipse allowed the guards to take her and kept her chin up high.

TheSilverFox wrote a review...

“Do your worst. I will always be ahead of you.”

*loud cheering*

Hahaha yesss this is such a satisfying chapter. It addresses a couple of newly-introduced mysteries - mainly Ellipse's dedication to the song - and initiates her grand plan. After all this misery, she's finally spread her message of freedom and crushed the integrity of Andra-Media as a respectable company with an email and a few minutes' time. It's wonderful to see the first major use of the pinpoint fold generator, though I have to wonder why the nerds, in chronologically later chapters, don't advertise its involvement in saving Ellipse? Then again, considering this is a significant criminal case, and all the information associated with it is likely being kept behind closed doors, it probably wouldn't be in their best interests to disclose something so vital until after the trial ends. Still though, Penelope's rage and the guards' discomfort is so rewarding, as is Ellipse's sense of ease and confidence. She's done what she needed to do; now she can sit back and watch the show. No wonder Penelope is off her game - Ellipse has solidly outmaneuvered her, as she points out in the best line of dialogue in the chapter.

I dunno, I'm having a much harder time seeing plot holes than either Blue or Bisc? I rely on one assumption, which is that Andra-Media is extremely unethical. So, if Ellipse is under a guardianship contract, she could feasibly wait until she's 18 and walk away scot-free. However, if she wants to create her own music or anything like that, she has to cover her tracks well. I don't think Andra-Media would stop hunting for her, publicly or otherwise, and they would likely capture her and force her to sign a binding contract, then tout it as legitimate. She'd be about as trapped as she was before, and she wants to be free, so it just wouldn't work. I also doubt she could've just walked up to the UN and told her story. For one thing, Ellipse has spent the past year convinced that she needs to be as hidden as possible, and going to the UN is hardly staying under the radar. Secondly, I wouldn't be surprised if Andra-Media has had some influence of the UN, large and powerful as it is? Andra-Media could've theoretically controlled and disputed anything Ellipse said if it was small enough. And then, you know, pinpoint and capture her. Better to go with an audacious, public scheme that Andra-Media can't possibly diminish. That forces the UN's hand, since they'd lose a lot of face if they didn't look closer. And, well, as Ellipse notes, the more she makes her suffering under Andra-Media clear, the better her case. What better way to do that than hanging around in the Andra-Media satellite?

Yeah, I think her leaking information like this was her best option, particularly with regards to Andra's effective, but damaging scheme. And it's so fun to read the results, so I'm happy you went that route. All in all, thanks for another memorable chapter - great job!

TheSilverFox says...

Also, forgot to mention: there's two quotation marks in

Does anyone know if one of the UN ships is nearby?%u201D%u201D

TheSilverFox says...

um, what did I do. o-o

Ventomology says...

I think partially I just could never get my settled in one direction as far as the legal stuff goes. Plus I... don't know much about law... and research on law is probably one of the least fun things I've ever done.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:31 am

okay sorry I may have found another plot hole

Spinning the chair in a slow circle, Ellipse shrugged. “Oh, I do not mind facing a civil court case.

How old is Ellipse? Admittedly I don't know the laws of your universe. But if she's under 18, no contract is legally binding - or at least, it wouldn't bind her. If she broke the rules of the contract, her parents would be the ones you'd have to sue. She was definitely under 18 when she ran off, but now she's been in hiding for a year. So she could be 18 now.

But since her parents would have signed the original contract, Andra-Media would have to sign her on again under a new contract now that she's of age. Especially if they wanted anything to stick. But in that case, since she's now 18, it seems like she could just walk off and decide not to resign with them. I guess I could see her doing that to set her plan in motion to destroy them, but Andra already has a plan in the works to destroy them - a plan that could keep Ellipse out of it, somewhere where she doesn't have to diet and engage in intense exercise and deal with people who don't care about her at all.

So I guess what I'm saying is, I can't see why she'd bother signing on and putting herself through torture for months when, based on what I know about her age and contract law...she really doesn't need to. Like, another reason for her not to stay after the transaction that brings Tejal and Focci their money, I guess.

Ventomology says...

Ah, no, she's still under 18 through this. It was heavily implied though that Andra-Media has guardianship of her in addition to being her employer, or at least that's how I wrote the chapter where she spills to the boys? Idk honestly I'm going to have to clean up the legal stuff a lot in the revisions.

BluesClues says...

Oh, okay. So if she has guardianship that's sort of one thing but I think it would still work totally different than the obligations she'd face if she was of age and under an actual contract.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:06 am
ExOmelas wrote a review...

I got frustrated with trying to plan the setting for my own LMS novel for next round, so ima hide out here where I don't have to make my brain do creative work :P

Nit-picks and nice moments:

Haha, lel.

By the way, I know Titan keeps track of the military spacecraft. Does anyone know if one of the UN ships is nearby?””

In keeping with my only nit-pick last time being a typo (I think that was you), you have a double set of speech marks here.

So, I think I might be confused about an element of plot. Why could Ellipse not just go to the UN and tell them her story in the first place? If there are people who will care enough to act on this story, then presumably they would have cared enough about the accusation to investigate. All this has achieved is get Tejal and Focci the money for the pinpoint fold generator, which would be a reasonable enough motivation for Ellipse to be fair, but I feel like it was framed as this being the perfect way to get Ellipse released from the bounty on her head.

Also, if this works out for Ellipse, if this plan works, while it will be painful to see her go through so much pain from now until her victory, I think it will be too easy. I'm holding back criticism until I see how it plays out, but I figured you should know I'm keeping my eye on that.

However, things I loved included the image of Ellipse sitting there in the dark having her moment of glory, the description of the song and the confusion of Penelope.

Hope this helps,
Biscuits :)

Ventomology says...

Mmm, self-reporting would be good. Maybe I should have played up a bit more isolation regarding signals in and out of the Andra-Media satellite? Like, there was the money obviously, but then comes up the question of why Ellipse has to stick around after the transaction...

So many holes ugh. Thanks!

It doesn’t smell old, it just smells like a bad idea.
— James Hoffman