Conics Unfortunately: 12

by Ventomology

The green slushy was for Focci, which explained why Ellipse found it so disgusting. The spinach-cranberry taste was supposed to imitate that of a very unhealthy eel-ish thing. As Ellipse pulled herself into the ship, she caught Focci giving her a grossed-out, wide-eyed look, tail curling protectively around his snacks.

“Did you eat any of my stuff?” he asked, tone bordering on shrill.

Ellipse wrinkled her nose. “Yes. Your food sucks.”

“Then maybe do not eat it,” Focci suggested. He curled his tail in further and began a long scoot towards his room, bags of food wrapped up in his spiny tailfin. His gills alternated between flaring and drooping, like he could not decide between acting horrified and throwing a hissy fit.

“Do not worry. I would not touch your food again if you paid me.” She crouched by the floor hatch and stuck her arm down so Wrecktrix could pass up the rest of their haul. But like everything else in the universe, Wrecktrix took option b and threw his snacks through the hatch. Ellipse got a faceful of crinkly bags.

As he clambered up, Ellipse curled up a lip and gave him the stink eye. “That was rude,” she told him.

“I am in a hurry.” Wrecktrix kicked the hatch shut and listened for the air proof seal to hiss into effect. “Shoo. Go find Captain Maj. Tell them we need to leave because his friends are here.”

Some friends, Ellipse thought. She stuck her tongue out at Wrecktrix for making her play messenger and then climbed up the ladder to the second floor. Captain Maj would most likely be in either their cabin or the cockpit, or the cargo bay if something was wrong. According to Focci and Wrecktrix, the captain tried to stay away from the cargo bay outside of loading and unloading. They did not even help with inventory check.

She peeked down the hall, towards the ship’s bow. The cockpit door was wide open, and Ellipse could see Min’s thick, white, serpentine root system piled up like a resting snake. No Captain in there. Huffing, she continued her climb.

On the third floor, she followed the black plastic floor panels towards the ship’s stern and stopped outside a bathroom stall style door stuck between two panels of lime green. Fishing in her pockets for her lightbox, Ellipse tapped at a little button installed near the door’s lock. No knocking; the specifus had probably the worst hearing of any space-faring species in the universe.

She waited a few seconds, tapping her toes against the floor in a rhythm that alternated meters every few beats. Specifus walked so hecking slowly. What was the point of Wrecktrix’s hurrying if nothing ever got done quickly on this ship? Scratching her neck, Ellipse reached out and pressed the captain’s door light again. Then she dropped to the ground and shoved her lightbox under the door.

“Wrecktrix says your friends are here,” she flashed. “What friends? Why does he think this means we have to leave in a hurry?”

A tremor passed through the floor panel, a sign that something was actually moving behind the door. Wondering if the captain had been ignoring her, Ellipse frowned and retracted her hands. She stood, staring at the lightbox and biting her lips. She had not paid attention to the signage for the dock next door and had no clue if Captain Maj’s friends were specifus, or what their occupation might be, or even the name of their ship.

Before she could try to make too many assumptions (the captain’s so-called friends probably were not bounty hunters, if the Conics could still dock at the fold terminals), the door swung open, squeaking like the bathroom stall door it was.

“Get out of the way,” the captain flashed, and then he tumbled out of the door, roots writhing along the ground like giant centipede legs.

Hecking jerk. They did not even try to answer Ellipse’s questions. She watched, nostrils flaring, as the captain scurried to the ladder, and then stomped after them, trying as hard as she could to make the panels shake. Alas, she did not have nearly as much mass as anyone else on the Conics, and therefore not nearly as much transferrable momentum. Angry at her genetics for making her only average-human-sized, she stomped harder.

When she reached the top of the ladder and found the captain still curling and uncurling their roots around the bars, she clucked her tongue and cupped her hands around her mouth. “Focci!” she sang, “Where are you?”

The notes for ‘cargo’ floated up through the floors. Evidently someone was already setting up the hangout.

“I want to ask you some things!”

Ellipse caught the little octave jump that ended all questions and let out a growl, as if that would somehow encourage the captain to climb faster. She could not tell if Focci was asking her to repeat whatever she had just said or asking what she wanted to know.

“I want to ask you some things!” she tried again. Captain Maj looked up at her and covered one of their lights with a vine, the specifus version of a finger over the lips.

Focci sang back something about knowing that already, and Mouthbot asked a question about possible euphemisms associated with ‘things.’ Ellipse ignored it all until the captain finally stepped off the ladder and began crawling towards the cockpit. Then she practically slid down the ladder and scrambled off for the cargo bay hatch, leaving Mouthbot to repeat the euphemisms question over and over again.

Ellipse dropped into the bay not thirty seconds later, landing with a hard thud on one of the metal crates stacked under the hole in the first floor. On the other end, Focci and Wrecktrix were already bustling about, stuffing their snacks into the same empty crate that held their other food and filling up water bottles so they could avoid dealing with loose water during in zero-gravity.

“One of you explain why we are supposedly in a hurry to leave,” she said, once in siren and then in tyran. Focci and Wrecktrix turned to look at her, still shoving things away in preparation for takeoff, but Wrecktrix only shivered and ignored the demand.

Snapping a rubber band around the blue shrimp bag, Focci sucked in a breath and wrinkled his snout. “You really want to know? It is not a nice thing for earthlings to hear.”

“I can handle it,” Ellipse retorted. She slid down to the cargo bay floor and checked to make sure she had not touched a switch for the ship’s electromagnets.

“Okay then, but I warned you.” He gave Wrecktrix a look, as though asking for permission, and when the tyran slumped over in resignation, proceeded to explain the situation. “As an earthling, I assume you know that specifus and earthlings do not always like each other.”

They sort of ripped off each other’s tech, so it was understandable. “Yeah,” Ellipse said.

“Good. Anyway, minor specifus shipping operations are not supposed to deal with earthlings. It is… unpatriotic. But here we are, headed to planet five to deliver food to some of the earthling terraforming workers there. We have been doing this job for months; it is good money.” Focci tossed the shrimp bag at Wrecktrix, who grumbled about having already shut the snack crate.

“I see,” Ellipse said. “So that would make the captain like a progressive or something? Pro-trade, pro-space-drugs, pro-being-nice-to-other-species, whatever.”

Focci turned green, like he might explode into a pile of icky cucumber-colored goop. “Stars,” he tittered. “Tell that to Wrecktrix!”

Ellipse repeated herself in tyran, and got an earful of raucous howling and beak clicking. Her cheeks heated up in embarrassment. “What?” she asked, crossing her arms. “I was only making a guess.”

“I know, I know!” Wrecktrix giggled. “But it was funny! Captain Maj? Progressive?”

“I swear upon the ocean floor,” Focci muttered, one webbed hand over his mouth. “That might be the most hilarious thing I have heard since we were in the Un system.”

Hecking aliens. “Yeah? Well I was not trying to be funny. Tell me what is going on!” Ellipse imagined herself clomping through the bay and tugging Focci’s gills or taping Wrecktrix’s beak shut.

“Okay, okay,” Focci relented, voice still stuck in an airy, upper register. He coughed, and suddenly was very businesslike again. “Captain Maj likes to take earthling money. That is it. It is like that history between the big antlered-animal-head-shaped country and the nation that lost the moon colony near your ringed planet. Just on a very small scale.”

Ellipse squinted. “China and the United States?” she asked.

“Yes, yes. The one-way trade thingy. It is like that. Only the other specifus do not get it, so they are always trying to convince the captain to stop.”

Focci probably did not understand either earthling or specifus history and politics all that well, Ellipse decided. Earth was complicated, just like every other planet out there. “Okay then,” she said, trying to sound unconvinced.

“The last time one of Captain Maj’s friends caught us, we got stuck on the Mao station for hours. It takes so long for them to talk, you know, and they tried so hard to convince the captain to stop his dealings with earthlings.”

“And thus, we have to leave as soon as possible,” Ellipse concluded. Sighing, she rubbed her temples and took a small step backwards. “I am going to go train Mouthbot some more,” she sang, reaching up to find purchase on the crates. “Let me know if you need anything.” As the gravity began to drop, she jumped to the top of the crates and looked back to see Focci and Wrecktrix still giggling at the idea of a pro-trade Captain Maj. Jerks.

At least bounty hunters were not involved.

Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:09 pm
ExOmelas wrote a review...

Hi again, here for review of the day for team tortoise.

Nit-picks and nice moments:

grossed-out, wide-eyed look

Why is he grossed-out not just angry?

But like everything else in the universe, Wrecktrix took option b and threw his snacks through the hatch.

Hehehe

This seems like a very forward way to talk to the captain.

then he tumbled out of the door

I might be wrong but I think you've changed the captain's pronoun.

I'm not sure how believable it is that they would be able to hear each other sing through several floors.

dealing with loose water during in zero-gravity.

lose either "during" or "in"

they tried so hard to convince the captain to stop his dealings

pronoun change again

Character: The relationships between Ellipse and her two friends were more consistent this time, which is good. However, they seem to have a really close relationship with the captain that is making me wonder about the size of the ship. For some reason I thought it was enormous with lots of departments, but it just sort of seems like the captain knows these random crew members really well, which is less consistent.

Setting: Not much is necessary here but you get in the bits that I need to understand the movement well.

Plot: Ooooooooh! I think a bit more jeopardy could be added if the specifus were going to try and shut Captain Maj down rather than just stall them for a long time. That doesn't seem that bad so there isn't that much suspense about whether or not it's going to happen. Nonetheless, the story is moving along at a good pace and I'm enjoying myself.

Hope this helps,
Biscuits :)

Ventomology says...

Ah, I hate it when I mess up pronouns. Societal binary is such a pain.

Anyways, sorry for not replying to some of your other reviews. I did read them! Thanks so much for keeping with this!

ExOmelas says...

Ah, that's fair. One time my friend asked me if I knew this person called Elias and I said something like "I've never met... I don't even know whether to say he or she" and my friend said "Ah! You still subscribe to the gender binary!" and I was like "nuuuuuuu it was grammar's fault!" So I feel you :P

No worries :)

Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:12 pm
TheSilverFox wrote a review...

Haha, I called a US-China struggle over control of their local region of space by not understanding a word of Mandarin or Cantonese Chinese and assuming that Planet Mao was a reference to Mao Zedong. I don't feel all that proud in myself. <.<

I think I'm a little over halfway through these chapters by now? Anyways, I like the chapter, mostly due to the fact that this is probably the most Maj has ever featured, I correctly guessed that they were taking advantage of a unique trading market for profit, and the reveal turned out to be completely anticlimatic. How shocking that he actually trade with earthlings, enough to get him stern, hours-long warnings from creatures who talk incredibly slowly and don't seem to find him worth enough to actually punish with a jail sentence or something. :P Actually, despite my expectations being deflated, I found it funny that everyone would be so hesitant to mention it to Ellipse and treat it with nothing less than absolute seriousness. It's perfectly understandable on their part, as she's human and they don't know enough about her to predict how she might react, but the dissonance between their treatment of the topic and her response is fantastic. Maybe Mouthbot can keep better company. :P

Too, the green slushy mystery is solved as quickly as possible, and I love the fact it's actually for Focci and is supposed to be similar in taste to some kind of eel-thing. It makes me gag a little bit, but that would explain why nobody tried to tell Ellipse. On that same train of thought, Focci's possessiveness and shrill voice is hilarious, as is her reaction - I think she'll be intensely distrustworthy of any slushy she sees from this point onward. Yeah, in general, this chapter is more comedic than its predecessors, whether in the anticlimatic reveals or the accidental joke about a progressive Maj (who is clearly pro-money, as BlueAfrica says) or even Captain Maj being extremely, annoyingly slow. I enjoyed every part of it, as the comedy is played to its full effect while also providing some worldbuilding, explaining the current goal of the Conics, and outlining a possible future conflict if Maj runs into his own species again. Thus, all in all, great job!

Ventomology says...

Oh, you will love chapter 21. I think it's the new funniest chapter so far.

Mon May 08, 2017 11:20 am

My guess was pro-making-lots-of-money.

the big antlered-animal-head-shaped country

This the best description I've ever heard of the U.S.

This chapter flowed well and made sense to me. As ever, I love your details about the different types of languages your aliens use, like this.

Captain Maj looked up at her and covered one of their lights with a vine, the specifus version of a finger over the lips.

Plus the fact that, instead of knocking, Ellipse had to press a thing that flashed a light. Although naturally that makes me wonder: what if the specifus isn't looking at the source of the light at that particular moment?

The only thing that sort of got me was this.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what actually happened here, but basically it sounds like they don't want the "friends" to catch them because they'll be tied up for hours as the specifus talk. Which is a little anticlimactic, considering how scared Wrecktrix seemed to be in the last chapter and how much of a hurry they're in to get away. Like, yeah, it's a bummer to be bored for hours, waiting for someone to convince someone else of something, but...it's just really not the kind of thing I was imagining, I guess. It just seemed like not really that big a deal, aside from slightly potentially screwing up their delivery schedule.

P.S. Tech week like drama club???

Ventomology says...

Yes, tech week like drama. I'm in the pit orchestra for the school production of South Pacific! It was very exciting.

And do not worry about the anticlimactic-ness. I have plans and 100% did it on purpose.

BluesClues says...

OH GOOD. (About both of these things.) It's always an enjoyable read, anyhow ^_^

Mon May 08, 2017 8:29 am
Gringoamericano wrote a review...

Hello! Kind of coming in without much context, so sorry if I miss some things.

One thing that really struck me about the piece was how much world-building you put into it. Everything from inter-galactic politics and relations to alien species descriptions and diets to (future) Earth histories was brushed upon in this chapter alone, and I quite enjoy that. I also really like how your characters are all kind of snarky and mild jerks (or at the very least; the types who have to worry about bounty hunters). From this chapter alone I was able to get a decent idea in regards to the characterization of a few of your characters.

My one complaint (and this is utterly subjective); the humor isn't quite all there, if that makes sense? I can see very much what you were going for, in regards to the sass and oddball characteristics among your cast, and all the little quirks of the world they inhabit. While it does make for an interesting story, it slightly misses the mark in regards to humor. Ultimately though, that's just a rather nitpicky thing in what was an otherwise fine read.

Thank you for sharing! Hopefully you're able to find someone who's able to go through and read (and review) each individual chapter!

Mon May 08, 2017 5:44 am
ChieTheWriter wrote a review...

Hi there! I’m gonna take a crack at your chapter!

I really liked how you described the characters and the general theme here. It truly was funny as Focci snarls at Ellipse to keep away from her hoard of grub. You did a good job at drawing readers in and the other necessary chapter qualifications.

Now for the nitpickies.

“As Ellipse pulled herself into the ship, she caught Focci giving her a grossed-out, wide-eyed look, tail curling protectively around his snacks.”
her tail. It sounds better and makes the sentence flow better.

his tone.

He curled his tail in further and began a long scoot towards his room, bags of food wrapped up in his spiny tailfin.
“Scoot” is a verb, not a noun, to the adjective “long” shouldn’t go there. You could say something along the lines of:
He curled his tail in further and began to scoot towards his room, his scooting causing the journey to take a while. He growled and retreated into his room with bags of food wrapped up in his spiny tailfin.”

His gills alternated between flaring and drooping, like he could not decide between acting horrified and throwing a hissy fit.
and it was as if he could not decide between acting horrified and throwing a hissy fit.

Another thing I noticed is that you referred to the captain as “they”. If he was a he or a she, you should have said so, because that can be a little confusing.

Besides that, you’re good!

Sincerely,

~Chie

Ventomology says...

The great thing about aliens is that they might not follow the same gender structures that we do. I don't want to use 'it' as the gender neutral pronoun, since it is demeaning, so I use 'they,' because we can colloquially use it as a singular pronoun when gender is unknown.

Thanks for the tips!

Ok! I'm glad you clarified that. You're welcome.

GET YER EYES AWAY FROM MY EYE SOCKETS >.>
— herbalhour