z

Young Writers Society



Conics Unfortunately: 35

by Ventomology


Three weeks after leaving Hub Titan and flying through empty space, when the Conics was docking in a tiny hole in a corner of Un Station’s massive network of rings and hallways, Ellipse noticed a little ‘new email’ notification on her watch.

She stood at the edge of the cargo bay floor, where the ramp began its descent, with her hand damp with the sweat she had literally just wiped off her forehead, staring at her watch like it had grown legs. No one used regular email unless both parties were known to live on the same planet, and she had not received an email since the day she originally flitted off Titan. That had been over a year ago.

“Something wrong?” Tejal shouted at her. His hands rested on the wheels of his chair, already gripping the sides so he could get a move on.

Ellipse shook her head. “No,” she called. “I am good. I think my watch’s purposeful obsolescence is kicking in is all.”

Rolling his eyes, Tejal snorted and smiled. “You know Focci and I could fix it up for you, right?”

“No way.” Ellipse started down the ramp and shoved her hands in her pockets. “You would stick one of your little fold generators inside of it, and Focci would rewrite the whole operating system. I do not need that.”

“We wouldn’t stick a generator in your watch,” Tejal said, laughing. He rolled forwards a few centimeters and drummed his fingers along his wheels. “I already installed one inside the Conics, and we attached the other to a changing room on Hub Titan.”

Ellipse almost tripped. “You did what?”

“There’s a miniature fold generator hooked up to the Conics,” Tejal said, swiveling to face Ellipse again. “Now come on. Focci says he found a bathroom.”

She sauntered off the ramp and reached over to ruffle Tejal’s hair. “I still do not think that will work again,” she said.

“Well, if it doesn’t,” Tejal said, shrugging and pushing himself after her, “then we’ll just come up with a new strategy for finding Max.” He beamed, and his countenance was so joyful that his hair actually bounced.

Okay, too much excitement. Grimacing, Ellipse scratched her neck and slouched over. “I think we should go back to that little detail where you installed an explosive, space-time-transcendent sliver of metal inside our ship,” she grumbled. She opened the person-sized docking bay door, gestured for Tejal to go ahead of her, and then followed after him.

“It’s not like we had it turned on when we passed through the fold,” Tejal said. “That’s what caused the Impending to explode.”

“But I thought the little generators were unstable to begin with,” Ellipse pointed out.

Tejal cringed. “Uh. I mean, Focci and I aren’t even sure if our generators are working.” He gave himself one particularly hard push and gazed up at the curved, cement ceiling. “I can’t put something that uses a lot of energy in a phone or watch, so I tried to design a generator that would only cut maybe an hour max off of regular battery life. And well, I had to pretend that the properties of space-time are really convenient in order to do that.”

“Convenient how?” Ellipse asked. She brought up her watch and tried to pinpoint Focci’s location in the labyrinth of circles and short, straight stretches.

“You know the graph of x-cubed?”

Ellipse nodded. She was not entirely ignorant to math and science.

“I’m kind of hoping that the graph relating energy consumption to fold size looks like that, only shifted over a little.”

That sort of made sense, except for the fact that size could not be negative, so the graph would presumably cut off at x-equals-zero. Still holding up her watch hand, Ellipse glanced around the station to look for the next turn.

Every station in the Un system was designed for hydrogen floaters, not for any of the other species, who all either required tall, open hallways to fly, or nice flooring on which to walk. Un Station’s unfinished metal floors looked grubby in the white, too-close lighting, and walking through the halls felt like being trapped in a hospital basement. Everything was cramped and small, and the slightly lowered gravity made the halls feel still smaller.

Ellipse led Tejal down an even tighter hallway next, watching as the red dot that represented her on her watch’s map crept closer to Focci’s blue dot. She dodged a gaggle of hydrogen floaters’ tentacles as she walked past, and then shooed a crowd of saur away from Tejal’s path so he would not run over any of them.

When at last, after too many turns and backtracks, Ellipse and Tejal met up with Focci, both earthlings gave the scene around them a long look of disbelief.

“This is not a bathroom,” Ellipse sang, gesturing at the open pipe next to her. It looked like one of those ‘lazy river’ swimming pool attractions, only with metal instead of white plaster.

“I would use it as a bathroom,” Focci said. Of course he would. He did not have to pee, and sirens had community bathrooms so that they could more effectively get rid of waste while underwater. “A gato would use it as a bathroom.”

Gato prefered private squat toilets, and everyone in the universe knew that.

“There is nowhere to hide here!” Ellipse argued. “Max would not keep away from bounty hunters by hanging out by a pipe where everyone can see them.”

Focci’s gills flared. “Maybe you should have known that this station does not have earthling style bathrooms.”

As Ellipse fumed, trying to come up with a reply, Tejal rolled in between them and put his hands up, placating.

“Guys,” he said, “it’s okay. We’ll keep looking elsewhere. And even if we don’t find Max, there’s still Ami out there.”

“I knew this would not work,” Ellipse muttered, crossing her arms.

The boys gave her twin, disappointed, are-you-serious looks.

“Okay, fine.” She threw up her hands and brought her watch to her face. “We will give ourselves two hours to comb this station from top to bottom. It looks like the largest room in this place is the floating garden, so we will go there and then divvy up the halls, finish our searches, and then return to the garden. Sound good?”

“Sounds good,” Tejal said. After a few moments of Mouthbot singing with exactly the tone of Ellipse’s trumpet, Focci agreed too.

“Right,” Ellipse said. She pivoted on her toes, examined her watch again, and began to march.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
760 Reviews


Points: 31396
Reviews: 760

Donate
Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:25 pm
ExOmelas wrote a review...



Alrighty, let's get started on this. Eleven chapters behind, eh? *Cracks knuckles*

Nit-picks (well, nit-pick singular as it turns out):

She sauntered off the ramp and reached over to ruffle Tejal’s hair.

Ruffle? Is that really a thing Ellipse would do to Tejal? I rather feel like Tejal would slap her hand away, or glare at her, for that.

Overall:

I'm going to get my only criticism out of the way first. That is that the science-y speak seems to in some way affect the plot that I don't understand:

“You know the graph of x-cubed?”

Ellipse nodded. She was not entirely ignorant to math and science.

“I’m kind of hoping that the graph relating energy consumption to fold size looks like that, only shifted over a little.”

That sort of made sense, except for the fact that size could not be negative, so the graph would presumably cut off at x-equals-zero. Still holding up her watch hand, Ellipse glanced around the station to look for the next turn.


Okay so I actually just realised what this was about as I started writing this sentence. Her watch has a map on it, right? With her position denoted? And this was made possible by Tejal doing something funky with science involving the graph of x-cubed? If that is the case, I would say halfway through the review is probably too late for me to get that :P Could you just put a sentence at the end of the maths-speak that reminds me this has in some way enabled a very fancy map.

Alright, onto nice things.

I have missed their relationships so much ^.^ These characters are really enjoyable to read about and I really like the relaxed pace of their adventures. There's a thing they have to do, but there's always time to chat and show me interesting space-stuff.

I think I remember from when I was reviewing this before that some chapters would kind of tail off and not have that much impact on the plot, but I don't think you've had that problem in this chapter, so that's great.

See you at the next chapter,
Biscuits :D




User avatar
299 Reviews


Points: 24185
Reviews: 299

Donate
Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:45 pm
TheSilverFox wrote a review...



Gato prefered private squat toilets, and everyone in the universe knew that.


Is it wrong that my first thought was "well, that raises some interesting questions about Tejal's childhood"? Also, *preferred.

Your bathroom humor is indeed sophisticated. It's actually a nice touch of world-building that serves well for comedic purposes, especially when Ellipse has to be a buzzkill and remind them once again that searching for Max like this wouldn't work. And yes, I did also read the part about hydrogen floaters not having bathrooms, and I love how much sense that comment makes now (and the sheer irony it creates). XD

Beyond that, I think I have a harder time immersing myself in this chapter than in previous ones. It could just be that I'm in a weird headspace right now, but I can't really remember the watch being mentioned before. I mean, it's not like it could have been of too much use in the past, since our protagonists have always been in close proximity to each other, but it seems a bit odd to have it mentioned now, without any accompanying description. Unless, like I said, I forgot. There's also Focci's anger at Ellipse not understand what the bathrooms would be like, when it appears she was always critical of the idea of searching for bathrooms, and it may not actually be her own idea. I'm also not sure what the point is in placing a miniature fold generator in a changing room that they won't be close to, but I imagine that will be explained in due time. And then there is the saur and what size they would be that Tejal running over some of them might be a threat, although that's almost certainly my bad memory (I just think of them as big dinosaurs, admittedly, because of their species name). Otherwise, most everything else in the chapter is well-explained. Ellipse's comments on what Focci and Tejal would do to the watch are my favorite part (and I have to imagine Tejal is thinking "oooh, what if the fold generator was that small"), as is her pulling the conversation back to the miniature fold generators. The graph of x^3 evokes a few painful memories of polynomials and the like, but it's an effective visualization here.

Beyond that, the email bit is extremely clever, especially when one realizes what exactly it means (though Ellipse appears not to, or it is simply not mentioned whether she does recognize its meaning or not, which is a bit odd). In a greater sense, you come back to the overarching plot effectively, granting them a solid reason to explore the creepy Un system facility. Their latest plan sounds like it'll work (since it's what paid off last time), and I'm interested in learning a bit about the floating gardens and the place at large. So, all in all, this is a well-written chapter with good implications, and I look forward to seeing how/if they find Max. Well done!




User avatar
1735 Reviews


Points: 91980
Reviews: 1735

Donate
Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:16 pm
BluesClues wrote a review...



I think my watch’s purposeful obsolescence is kicking in is all.”

Rolling his eyes, Tejal snorted and smiled. “You know Focci and I could fix it up for you, right?”

“No way.”


Ellipse is me.

Question: would the email actually be from today, or would the email be from a year ago but only have come through today because Ellipse is back on Titan and her watch finally realized there was an email?

I love the non-Earth-style bathrooms, it's a detail I never would have thought of that's just an inconvenience for the characters. It's probably a little weird that I like it so much, but I do.

Not much else to say on this chapter! A good balance and nice moving along, as usual. Enjoyed the humor of the non-Earth bathrooms. You do a nice job of bringing in science and math - making this feel more realistic and possible, despite being set far in the future when all sorts of regular space travel is possible - without overwhelming or boring people who don't know much about physics and math.

Were Max and Ami some of those specifus they were looking for, like the red one? That was the only thing I was a little confused by, but I think it's because I haven't read the chapters with the red specifus for so long and not because of your writing.

Image




Ventomology says...


My bathroom humor is sophisticated.

Yeah, Max and Ami are the other specifus from the Impending. I admit that I didn't do a good job recapping that here.

Thanks again!




Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try!
— Dr. Seuss