Conics Unfortunately: 7

by Ventomology

The siren burst out of hiding only five measures into the New World Symphony. His face blossomed with forest green, and his feathery gills stood up in all directions. “Stop that!” he shrieked. “You do not know what you are even singing!”

If only Sirens had a language equivalent to French. Ellipse needed something snotty to say that would translate as “au contraire.” Instead, she just shrugged and kept playing, a smug glimmer in her eyes.

“I will lick you!” He leveled a pair of pliers in her direction and waved them about. “I really will! Do not try me!”

Like Ellipse was scared of being licked. She was infinitely more nimble than the siren; he could never catch her.

Actually, scratch that.

Ellipse felt a flutter run through her stomach, fracked a note as she lost her footing and her heels floated off the floor. Sirens had tails and webbing and sail-like fins. Even if air resistance was puny compared to water resistance, the siren had a distinct advantage in mobility once Ellipse took gravity out of the equation.

She fumbled another note and tore the trumpet from her mouth, allowing herself a look of despair that landed halfway between smile and grimace. The siren grinned, delighted, and swam towards her, wide tail flicking up and down in strong, even strokes.

This would be an oh-heck moment, Ellipse thought, before realizing that it was, in fact, an oh-heck moment and that she really ought to do something. Leaving her trumpet to float, she stretched her feet to the ground and pushed off towards the computer room door, arms flailing in a poor rendition of Michael Phelp’s front crawl.

As hard as Ellipse tried to propel herself forward, she moved no faster than a snail The siren was somewhere around caterpillar speed and still kicked comically fast for someone travelling less than thirty centimeters per second, but at least he moved. And he could probably turn without assistance.

Letting out a muffled groan, Ellipse stretched her arms out, trying to get the slightest grip on the machinery that surrounded her. If she could just catch the tiniest bit of plastic, she could propel herself a little faster, or pull in towards the walls.

The fingertips of her left hand whispered over a break between computing towers, and she managed to catch a portable drive sticking out beyond the sheets of metal. Using what little friction existed between her skin and the metal, Ellipse dragged herself closer to the wall of computers. Then, she flipped so her front faced the wall, and pulled herself out the door.

“Get back here!” the siren shouted. “You cannot just recite love poetry like that! It is rude! An affront to social mores!”

Ellipse stuck her fingers in her ears and floated by the hatch in the floor. She even puckered her lips and inhaled to give the appearance that she might start whistling. Sirens hated the way earthlings whistled.

“Fine! Sing all the love poetry you want!” The siren flailed in the doorway, forgetting that he too could use his arms to put Newton’s third law to good use. “Just come back here so I can get Mouthbot to learn all of your voices!”

“Maybe,” Ellipse drawled, moving her arms to pillow her head. She shot the siren a smug smile. “I mean that is the reason I have passage on this ship. I’ll have to get to that at some point.”

“Yes, exactly,” the siren huffed. He stopped flailing and banged on the door frame, which sent him smacking into the other side of the opening. “Now get back-

“Hey earthling!” That was the tyran. The hard syllables of his language stuttered and repeated, signs that he was drawing out his words. “We’re about to pass through the Fold! Send Focci down to the cargo bay for me, would you?”

Ellipse peered at the siren, eyes narrow. “You are Focci, right?” she sang, probably butchering the pronunciation of his name. She knew was that it was similar to the Tyran and English words for foci, but Sirens had a terrible love for creating variations on themes. No one could translate a siren’s name correctly on the first try.

“Yes,” the siren replied, rubbing his shoulder and wincing. “But you should sing the high tonic twice instead of adding in the leading tone. What did Wrecktrix want?”

“He wants you in the cargo bay.”

Focci wheezed, the green flush of anger receding from his face. “Ugh. I hate working in the cargo bay.”

“I could probably do it,” Ellipse offered, shrugging. Her head bumped against a wall, and she reached backward to reposition herself.

“No no. You will just make a mess of things.” At this, Ellipse scowled. “Just tell him I will be down once I have finished training Mouthbot to learn from you.”

Ellipse shrugged. Keeping one hand on the wall behind her, she cupped her other palm over her mouth and shouted. “Focci says he will be down in a few minutes! He has to do something with Mouthbot so I can teach it to translate better.”

The tyran let out a squawk of a groan, and Ellipse tried to pinpoint exactly what emotion she was supposed to interpret from that. But then Focci was gesturing for her to come back to the computer room, so she kicked off of the wall and dove for the doorway.

As much as Ellipse would have liked to watch the ship slide through the Fold, she wound up stuck in the computer room for several hours. The captain had decided to bypass stopping at the Triune Fold Terminal in favor of a mobile scan, report, and check-in, and the Conics was now headed for the system’s life-belt.

“Say, Mouthbot,” Ellipse droned, picking at her fingernails and interrupting whatever question the computer had just asked.

“Yes. Ellipse?”

“What can you tell me about the Triune system?”

The computer hummed for a moment before the standard lady-voice crackled back into the air. “Information on all systems available on this ship is uploaded in the Specifus language.”

So this was a Specifus ship, or at least a ship made by them. Ellipse gritted her teeth and wished that internet existed in empty space. “Then I’ll translate it. Flash me the info.”

“Flash?” Mouthbot repeated, voice echoing in the quiet. “To flash is to show something quickly. It has many conno-

“Hecking shut up,” Ellipse groaned. She turned a somersault and reached out for her trumpet, which floated an arm’s length away. “Earthlings use the word flash to refer to any kind of light-based communication. It is not that hard to figure out.” Where had the crew found this computer’s English data? Google Translate?

“Updated,” Mouthbot said. “I will now proceed to. Flash. The Triune system information.”

Computers were so hecking awkward. Fiddling with the keys on her trumpet, Ellipse flexed her leg muscles and tried to flip backwards.

As it turned out, the Triune system had a smaller, older version of the Earthling system’s sun at its center. Its first planet resembled Mercury, and the next three had birthed intelligent, space-faring life, which was why Earthlings called the place the Triune system in the first place. A single gas giant orbited out in the void by its lonesome, and the oft-mentioned planet five was currently being transformed into a ski resort.

Ellipse did not know how to ski or snowboard and really did not want to learn. As she translated sentence-by-sentence for Mouthbot, she imagined her lifeless body oozing blood after falling off a trail, starting an avalanche, and being crushed by rocks.

Her stomach chose that moment to be needy. Which was good, because she stopped thinking about dying, but also embarrassing, because Mouthbot wanted an English translation for the rumbling sound.

“That would be my stomach,” Ellipse said, and then she repeated herself in Global Gliss. “Earthling stomachs make noise when they do not have enough to digest.” Did other species not do that? Ellipse swore she had once heard a hydrogen floater pass gas while its digestive tract decided to reduce the amount of acid in its intestines.

“But earthlings produce noise only from their mouths, do they not?”

Burying her face in her empty hand, Ellipse let out a long, heavy groan. “I will explain this to you later. For now, just accept that my body is telling me to eat.”

“Can you translate that into-

“No.” Ellipse reached out for the wall and pushed herself through the hall of computers. “I am leaving. To eat.”

“That is-

“Good bye!” Ellipse shouted over her shoulder. She somersaulted out of the computer room and aimed herself at the ladder leading up to the second floor. Time to locate a kitchen.

Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:48 pm
TheSilverFox wrote a review...

As she translated sentence-by-sentence for Mouthbot, she imagined her lifeless body oozing blood after falling off a trail, starting an avalanche, and being crushed by rocks.

You have immediately killed off my interest in skiing. :P

I'm already at Chapter 7? Okay then. Regardless, I must say that it's a good chapter! I'm happy that the romance song worked as well as it did, as well as the hilariously ineffective run in a zero-gravity environment (save for a clever use of Newton's laws of motion). Too, there's something lovely about Mouthbot's total inability to comprehend human language and behavior, and I'm fairly sure it got most of its information from Google Translate and a few books by the Specifus, who don't sound all that wise at the moment. Honestly, that much of the information on the nature of the ship and the Triune system (which is explained wonderfully well, by the way) being a language that I suspect nobody on the crew speaks as their first language (including Ellipse, but everything is her second language) seems like an unintended flaw on the part of either the shipbuilders, the crew, or both of them. Either way, I'm interested in the inconvenience it provides, as I imagine that will come back to bite someone later on, particularly if there are no good translators in the area. And misery is fun. :P

So, onto the critiques:

I’ll have to get to that at some point.

Erm, I think Ellipse just used a contraction?

A single gas giant orbited out in the void by its lonesome, and the oft-mentioned planet five was currently being transformed into a ski resort.

The second part of this sentence is awesome, but the first seems like it's missing a word or two. "By its lonesome self" perhaps?

Otherwise, that's about all. I notice that this is probably the first time Ellipse's purpose on the ship is specifically outlined? I mean, I remember the previous chapter mentioning something about Mouthbot, but, beforehand, it always felt more like she had done Focci a favor and had thus been able to get on the ship. That still applies, I believe, but it's cool to see that she now has a firm role as helping one of the most incompetent translators to ever exist. In that case, I look forward to seeing what happens next. Thanks for another great chapter!

Ventomology says...

I've been trying to work in a bit of dialogue about how Mouthbot's software actually works, but it could be a while before that actually shows up. But for real, I have a legitimate software-engineering reason for what you're reading.

Also, thanks for catching that little blip with Ellipse's dialogue. I do that all the time, but usually I manage to catch myself. Oops.

Thanks again!

ExOmelas wrote a review...

Hiii again!

I nearly burst out laughing in the middle of a room full of people at this.

arms flailing in a poor rendition of Michael Phelp’s front crawl.

Either Phelps's or Phelps' (his name is Phelps). Also, not sure how likely it is that Michael Phelps's legacy makes it to space?

she moved no faster than a snail The siren

Missed full stop.

I don't really get this. Why is she smug when she's agreeing to do the thing he wants her to do? It all sounds rather reasonable.

Their friendliness towards each other just seems a bit sudden.

Ellipse gritted her teeth and wished that internet existed in empty space.

Given that later chapter I read, that's really good foreshadowing.

A single gas giant orbited out in the void by its lonesome

d'awwww

Which was good, because she stopped thinking about dying, but also embarrassing, because Mouthbot wanted an English translation for the rumbling sound.

I actually did laugh out loud at that.

Character: I'm still really really enjoying Ellipse's narration. I think you're getting funnier with every chapter and I think that the arguments that Ellipse and Focci have are a perfect level of petty but made to feel important (it sort of evens out as deadpan funny).

However I do think the argument de-escalated a bit quickly. Like, they were almost physically fighting as far as I can tell. There was definitely an action sequence of some sort. Then they just shrug it off? I just don't really get it.

Setting: I really like your worldbuilding of the Triune system. Don't have much specific to say about that, but it was good. I'm a little bit confused about how Wrecktrix fits into the situation. Ellipse is a guest so why is he talking to her rather than Focci?

Plot: I love how light-hearted and just enjoyable this plot is. There isn't a massive amount of jeopardy compared to earlier on, but programming Mouthbot feels important because it's important to the characters, and you've made the characters really easy to care about. Good job on that!

Hope this helps,
Biscuits :)

Ventomology says...

Oh, I'm so glad you think I'm funny. I sometimes feel like my humor is too dry for most people.

And yeah, I need to work on the continuity of tense and calm periods. I've gotten a number of comments about that, so hopefully it's been getting better through the chapters.

Anyways, thanks so much! If there's anything I can review for you, let me know. I'd be happy to return the favor!

ExOmelas says...

dry humour = best humour :P

I'll let you know if I think it's getting better :)

My current story is Off Court - Chapter 1 but I'm honestly only reading this cos I'm enjoying it, so don't feel like you have to xD (would be very grateful if you did though)

Omg I love Mouthbot. I also like the way you punctuate her (its?) sentences so that it really feels like a GPS sort of voice talking.

Question: why doesn't Wrecktrix talk to Focci directly? I mean, how did they get along before Ellipse showed up? It's obvious she can talk to Wrecktrix from pretty much wherever she is on the ship, so it's kind of weird to me that Wrecktrix would be like "Tell Focci..." Like why can't Wrecktrix do that? Unless I missed something somewhere.

RIGHT so now that I've read further...wait, no. I was remembering how Ellipse translated specifus all week for Focci, not Wrecktrix. So never mind, I guess. I was like, "This totally makes sense now, because Focci was pretending not to understand..." but no. Actually, that raises the question of why Ellipse wouldn't wonder: why does Focci, who has been on a specifus ship far longer than I have, need me to translate specifus for him? I'd think she'd call him out on that.

ANYWAY. To add to what I was saying about this before, I like the way you show Ellipse trying to move in what I can only imagine is anti-gravity, and how Focci has it easier because he's used to moving in a substance that, while not air, is something closer to air than what she's used to walking on.

Although on that note, if this is anti-gravity, wouldn't Ellipse have some sort of physical reaction like nausea or something from not being used to it? Or is she used to it from other experiences we don't know about?

Ventomology says...

I love that moment when someone points out something totally obvious that completely slipped my mind. I have brought dishonor upon my family.

And I'm glad you like Mouthbot! I wasn't sure how the punctuation thing would go over with people, so it's reassuring to know that it worked.

Thanks so much!

BluesClues says...

Well, I'm sure it won't be to some people's taste, and that's okay. But *I* liked it, and I'm sure other people will, too. It made it so much easier to put all her (its) speech into robot-woman voice.

Silberfee wrote a review...

pushed off towards the computer room door, arms flailing in a poor rendition of Michael Phelp’s front crawl.
Unless Michael Phelps is contextually revelant to this novel I wouldn't mention him in this novel. As a reader who doesn't really follow sports and also doesn't live in America I had to look him up to understand the context.

The siren was somewhere around caterpillar speed and still kicked comically fast for someone travelling less than thirty centimeters per second, but at least he moved. And he could probably turn without assistance.

And
Computers were so hecking awkward. Fiddling with the keys on her trumpet, Ellipse flexed her leg muscles and tried to flip backwards
This sentence structure mimics human thought/informal speech - if it is what Ellipse is thinking then I would make it more clearer that this is her thought otherwise I would restructure it. It is confusing for me to read because the narration is in second person so I wouldn't be expecting the text to frequently show her thought.

Ventomology says...

Hey thanks for giving this a read! I'll look over the two thought-intrusions again to see what I can do.

Silberfee says...

No problem ! ^^ I'm trying to review more stories so I can prepare to write my own (when I think of a plot :) )

Let the wild rumpus start!
— Maurice Sendak