z

Young Writers Society


12+

Ryu, a poem for you

by TahaT11n


Ryu, it's late night
yet I write
A poem- short, simple-
For you.
When it will be morning,
Perhaps you will read it,
Perhaps you will not.
But souls want to scream loud
The words trapped inside-
Specially when it's night-
Either a listener answers or not.

Ryu,the poem is for you
But, it's not about  you.
You see, the night is too dark
Leaving you to feel only you
And your cold skin
Where memories crawl
And memories hunt
Your soul.
Ryu, what can I do?
I am not strong enough to fight night,
I accept defeat
And so I write
To you
Not about you.

Ryu, night reminds me
Of only me
And me.

Ryu, I have hunger
And it increases
As night deepens.
I am never satisfied, Ryu.
Ryu, no,not even you
Could fulfill it.
So, I write, Ryu.
You tell me, what else can I do?
What else is there to do??
I can only stare at the long dark selfish night
And starve...

But, can I let it go on like this?
The way it has been-
I cannot let it be
The same way. 

So, I write, Ryu..
To tell you of  my hunger
The hunger I can't control,
The hunger I can't stand anymore
The hunger I am tired of..

Tired of.
Too tired.

But, Ryu..
This hunger doesn't make me weak
It only makes me stronger
It gives me a strength
From a thorn-piercing pain
And I devour it
Only to write...

To write to you, Ryu,
Only to you.
Only you had the hand
To feed me
To satisfy me
To let my hunger be
gone..
Just like dusts of the night-
Gone.

But, you didn't lift your hands, Ryu,
Did you?
You said," I raise my hands to you"
And you started to make it higher
Than the normal position.
But, then, what?
You stopped.
You stopped moving your hand
You stopped raising it
Let alone, bringing it to me.

Now, Ryu, tell me
What else can I do except writing?
I have to hold onto something
To live through this night
And, so, here is this poem
Either you read it tomorrow morning or not
At least, my soul was able to let out
A few words of its own. 



the end.I don't know if you like it or not, but, i think, i like it! :D I love this poem..though it's not that good


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
54 Reviews


Points: 524
Reviews: 54

Donate
Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:09 am
StupidSoup says...



This is to long. I do like what you say and it is definitely worth making this poem long enough to say it but it is redundant and it there are some lines you can take out. There's a whole two stanzas dedicated to hunger that you could probably put together. Also, your structure just seems to stretch the entire poem. This could easily be shorter if you put a lot of the lines together. Not a big problem I know but it is something to keep in mind. The second to last stanza really messes up the flow of the story and feels out of place. It can be cut really without consequence.

That's all I have. I'm not particularly coherent right now so i apologize for the rambling.

Also why Ryu?




TahaT11n says...


Yeah, I know. It is long. I will keep the length thing in mind.
And..of all the 5 people who have commented here, you are the first and only one to ask about the name. Well...I don't know, why Ryu. I guess I just got it from KaiRyu, the last reviewer. Or maybe because it starts with the same word and has three words. XDD Or maybe because my brain subconsciously chose it cus it kinda rhymes with "You"...Could be anything. Why do you ask??



User avatar
77 Reviews


Points: 58
Reviews: 77

Donate
Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:17 pm
RadiantShadow says...



Hey :)

Well all I can say is this poem is utterly amazing. It is literally one of my favorite poems on YWS so far. You deserve to be in the literary spotlight and I cant wait to read more!

~RS




TahaT11n says...


Thank you so much. :D I am so happy and inspired. I will write more and more.*sheds the sparkling tear drops of happiness and inspiration*



User avatar
77 Reviews


Points: 1812
Reviews: 77

Donate
Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:21 pm
View Likes
KaiRyu wrote a review...



I LOVE THIS!!!!! :D :D :D I love absolutly EVERYTHING about this!! If you were being literal about the night alerting your senses, making you feel alive, than I totally get it!!! If not, I still get it!!!XD I know, I'm crazy... Okay... *Getting breathing back to normal* I LOVE this poem, and not because I'm part of it, but because of how you describe yourself at night. I also love the setting, how you placed it during the night, my favoret time of day, even if it isn't day... Couple of questions, not good with poetry, you should know that. What do you mean by " you started to make it higher" do you mean like higher in character or something totally different? I don't know what you be saying at the end, saying that it's not very good. For like the first time in FOREVER, I actually get what this poem is talking about, well, at least 90% of it anyway... But still!!!!! Change absolutly NOTHING about this poem, it's perfect just the way it is!!! Sorry for that sloppy intro there, had to adress that statement first. So until next time, LadyRanicorn out!!!!!! Must say this again... LOVE THIS!!!!!!!!!XD'




TahaT11n says...


I am glad that you love it.
By "higher" I mean to "raise hand higher".
Thank you so much. :)



KaiRyu says...


You be welcome!!!!!!:P



User avatar
806 Reviews


Points: 1883
Reviews: 806

Donate
Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:02 pm
View Likes
Aley wrote a review...



Hey TahaT11n,

As requested, here's a review from me to you~

First off I want to say that I'm really happy to see that this poem really sounds like it comes from the heart. That's not to say that you wrote it about an experience you had, but it sounds like something from one real individual to another, and if you're Not writing about yourself, that's hard to do. I like that about this poem because you're including things which normally wouldn't be thought about in a poem that didn't sound honest, such as bringing up that this isn't a poem About Ryu, it's a poem To Ryu. That distinction is important in the poem, and it's important for the reader too because it's not a commemorative ode, it's a poem, and it's a dialogue from one individual to another. This type of conversational poetry is the type I love the best, so good job!

That being said, there are always things to improve. You have some minor grammar errors and a couple sentences that don't make much sense if you read them all together as a sentence. Because of this, I've taken the liberty to smash your lines back together and put it into a paragraph so you can try to see what I'm seeing as a reader.

Here is the result:

Spoiler! :
Ryu, it's late night yet I write A poem- short, simple- For you. When it will be morning, Perhaps you will read it, Perhaps you will not. But souls want to scream loud The words trapped inside- Specially when it's night- Either a listener answers or not.

Ryu,the poem is for you But, it's not about you. You see, the night is too dark Leaving you to feel only you And your cold skin Where memories crawl And memories hunt Your soul. Ryu, what can I do? I am not strong enough to fight night, I accept defeat And so I write To you Not about you.

Ryu, night reminds me Of only me And me.

Ryu, I have hunger And it increases As night deepens. I am never satisfied, Ryu. Ryu, no,not even you Could fulfill it. So, I write, Ryu. You tell me, what else can I do? What else is there to do?? I can only stare at the long dark selfish night And starve...

But, can I let it go on like this? The way it has been- I cannot let it be The same way.

So, I write, Ryu.. To tell you of my hunger The hunger I can't control, The hunger I can't stand anymore The hunger I am tired of..

Tired of. Too tired.

But, Ryu.. This hunger doesn't make me weak It only makes me stronger It gives me a strength From a thorn-piercing pain And I devour it Only to write...

To write to you, Ryu, Only to you. Only you had the hand To feed me To satisfy me To let my hunger be gone.. Just like dusts of the night- Gone.

But, you didn't lift your hands, Ryu, Did you? You said," I raise my hands to you" And you started to make it higher Than the normal position. But, then, what? You stopped. You stopped moving your hand You stopped raising it Let alone, bringing it to me.

Now, Ryu, tell me What else can I do except writing? I have to hold onto something To live through this night And, so, here is this poem Either you read it tomorrow morning or not At least, my soul was able to let out A few words of its own.


So the few errors that I found, one was a word that was the wrong word, or rather a word that was misspelled. Specially is like, I made this specially for you, especially is the word you were looking for. Especially is an adverb which basically is singling something out. Specially is to do something in a special manner. You want to single out that it's done a lot more frequently at night, or it's felt a lot more frequently at night, that's especially. When we talk, it's slurred a lot of the time and the e is dropped, but in writing, it needs to be there or you need a ' to indicate that something was removed. "'specially" or "especially" are thus your options.

Next issue is a bit of a pluralization problem. Why are there multiple souls screaming out again? Aren't we just dealing with a singular soul, the speakers' soul? Having multiple souls with "souls" sort of throws that off, especially when you're just using one soul later.

Next thing next, I'd like to introduce you to the wonderful world of ellipsis. You're using them, but you're so all over the board with them that you should really read this and learn what you're using. The Great Grammar Compendium and here's a really short version that's not as through Dashes, Semicolons, and Ellipses but please, check it out. Personally that's one of the reasons I really dislike the use of ellipsis in poetry. People always disrespect it as a punctuation mark after the era of chat because they just see it as a way to pause for as many dots as you put in, but No, that's not how it works. If you're writing something that's supposed to be pretty grammar, or supposed to be published, you don't use chat language, just like you don't write a poem with u unless you're making a comment on the disintegration of our language because of chat. It's just bad form, and isolates the poem from an older audience which isn't dead yet. The older audience sees it as unprofessional and thus dismisses it out of hand.

Moving on. You have some run on sentences, or sentences which have more than one subject and should be split up or conjoined with a conjunction, or semi-colon.

But souls want to scream loud The words trapped inside- Specially when it's night- Either a listener answers or not.


The first sentence is subject: But souls, predicate: want to scream loud.
The second sentence is subject: The words predicate: trapped inside, especially* when it's night.
The third sentence is subject: Either a listener predicate: answers or not.

In short, you should have three sentences here. I think the reason you don't have three sentences here is because you are omitting conjunctions in your poem, which is fine, but a little confusing. The problem shows up when you start capitalizing the start of the sentences but not having a period. You're capitalizing the start of the sentences because you want to have a capital at the beginning of each line. Whether that's conscious or just what your word program does whenever you hit enter, is completely irrelevant. You posted the poem with the first letter of every sentence capitalized and it takes away from the poem.

You have some really good emotion in this, but with all of the capitals thrown around, it's hard to see that. You really have to focus on reading through the lines to get to that emotion, and because of your capitalization, it takes away from that ability because you wonder if maybe you forgot a period, but no, you just don't have a lot of them.

I'd suggest you take out the capitals, and then go through and check your punctuation to make sure it is where you want it, where you want your reader to breath. Your punctuation should follow your breathing pattern as you read it for this poem because it's so driven by emotion. That's going to portray the best reading and give the most drama to the poem.

Last thing last: you have some grammar and punctuation errors such as in: You said," I raise my hands to you"
which should be: You said, "I raise my hands to you"
and a space is missing after your punctuation here: "Ryu,the poem is for you"

So, read it again, and change your punctuation to fit your breathing, take out the capitals at the beginning of each line, and after all that's said and done, read it one more time and see if there's anything that gets off topic, isn't clear, or doesn't add to the poem, and take that out.

Overall, you have a really strong poem here, but you're missing some things that could really make it pop. Do that, and the poem will be even better, in my opinion.

Hope this helps ^^

Aley




TahaT11n says...


Thank you so much for the review. It's really helped a lot. :)



User avatar
524 Reviews


Points: 7146
Reviews: 524

Donate
Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:08 am
felistia wrote a review...



Hi TahaT11n, Felistia here with a review for you on this wonderful day. :D

Sorry if this review is a bit short. I am a bit tired. :D

Theme: This is quite an interesting poem that has a nice rhythm to it. I did find it a bit repetitive though and I do think that you should cut down on it a bit. :D

Description: You did put in a good amount of description into this poem. You described the dark very well and also put a lot into the hunger parts. You could maybe put a bit more into that part, but that's just me. :D I do feel that you should use a few different words for hunger, because at times it begins to feel a bit repetitive.

Grammar and Punctuation: As far as I can see you got all the grammar and punctuation right. :D

Small suggestions: The only real suggestion is to cut the poem down a bit. :D

Overall it was a great poem and I look forward to seeing more of your work. Never stop writing and I hope you have a great day\night. :D

Your friend, Felistia. :D




TahaT11n says...


Thanks for the review.
Actually, I love the poem the way it is...not thinking to edit it or cut it.




The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices; to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill, and suspicions can destroy. A thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all of its own.
— Rod Serling, Twilight Zone