z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

A help.. PLSSSS

by TahaT11n


hello, readers. i know i am not that good at writing haikus..still, i have got gutts. i am trying to write a haiku for a contest. it doesn't require the traditional style of haiku, in other words, the haiku doesn't have to have 5-7-5 syllable count. the theme of the contest is - "celebration inspired by cherry blossom". I have come up with a haiku, the story mainly. but i am having trouble with how to write it. i wrote several ones. i would like you to pick up the haiku that you think sounds the best ( and has the potential to get a prize! ) also, please tell me if you think the haiku portrays the theme or not. 

here's the haiku - 

under the cherries' bloom
a teenage boy smiles
throwing the noose away

under the cherries' bloom
a teenage boy sings
throwing the noose away


cherries' bloom
a boy sings
throwing the noose away


Now, I wanna mean "celebrating life" through either "smile" or "sing" - which one do you think is better? Also, I feel that the first two ones are too big, although they don't exceed 17 syllables. That's why I thought of the third one. Which one sounds better? 

I know these questions of mine must make you feel being confined to specific thoughts. But, that's not the thing. These are the things that popped in my head when I was working with the haiku. And I really need the answers to these, along with your OWN opinion on the haiku. Of course, you have the freedom to tell whatever you want. And, if you can't give straight answers to my questions,it's ok, too. Cus I know you are trying your best. But, I would really appreciate to get the answers to the questions cus they are confusing me a lot. 
If this post of mine somehow irritated you, I apologize. I truly am sorry. 

Top


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
54 Reviews


Points: 2061
Reviews: 54

Donate
Wed May 25, 2016 3:53 am
View Likes
chhlovebooks says...



Hey Taha, nice stuff here! I'm super tired here on my side of the planet, as it's kinda late, and I can't really string too many coherent thoughts together right now, so I'll just put down a load of my opinions down. Tell me if you want or need more info, ok? And don't feel that you're bothering me or anyone else by asking for our opinions. We here all WANT to help (really, why would we join this site and not somewhere geared more to only putting the stories out there if we didn't want to give our opinions and provide aid)?

Ok, now onto more real stuff. I think I like the "sings +teenage" version best. I like it because it is very descriptive, and I prefer it over smiles because singing seems more triumphant. Kind of like telling the world something like " Hey! World! Nice try, but I am still alive here! Booyah, in your face!" or singing your happiness out to the world because life threw you a really tough punch, and you still managed to shake it off, and keep moving on with a smile on your face. The "smile" one seems more peaceful, like something happened, and they went through a lot of inner turmoil over whether or not to use the noose, but they eventually came to a decision and are at peace with it. Or at least, these things are how I see it.




User avatar
77 Reviews


Points: 1812
Reviews: 77

Donate
Tue May 24, 2016 5:30 pm
View Likes
KaiRyu wrote a review...



Hello everyone! LadyRanicorn here for another amazing review!

Good job Taha, for being brave and writing a haiku when you know you're no good at it! Let's see, hmm, well I have to go with Gravity on this one. The haiku's you were suggesting does indeed have a kind of somber mood about it, you just need to unlock that and fully embrace it. For me, that's the only thing missing in these haiku. They're sort of in the middle of somber and not being somber enough for it to actually be any good. Maybe you could add cries instead of smile or sings to try and embrace the mood. If this WASN'T your intent, to make the mood the way I see it, then just ignore the above sentences.

This is the little section for if the mood was supposed to be happy. If this is the case, you REALLY need to get rid of the last sentence in all of the haiku you have listed here, it just wouldn't go with the intended mood. If it doesn't have to follow that pattern then I would suggest you replace that line with "Watching swirling sakura." Sakura means Cherry Blossom in Japanese so that's how it would fit. Since the cherry blossom festival originated in Japan then wouldn't it be neat to have an obvious reference to Japan? I'm sorry if it seems as if I'm trying to take over your haiku, I'm just trying to share my thoughts.

Good luck with the contest Taha! I hope you win, just remember to try and stay true to the intended mood, and your haiku would sound a LOT better. Until next time, LadyRanicorn out!!




TahaT11n says...


well, thanks for the help.. it's just i want the haiku to be this way. i mean, i wanna show that cherry blossom inspired a boy to re-live his life and celebrate it..
Spoiler! :
i am done



KaiRyu says...


WHAT?!?!



User avatar
271 Reviews


Points: 414
Reviews: 271

Donate
Tue May 24, 2016 1:06 pm
View Likes
Gravity wrote a review...



Heya, Gravity here for a review!

So, the thing about Haiku (yes, there is no s in the plural form, those tricky Japanese :)) is that they can be very powerful, so you need to maximize every word possible in order to really emphasize your meaning. I love what you did with this, I think it's very unique and I love the idea.

My suggestion to you is to use more powerful words. I really like this shorter one because I feel like you can add on to it more or even minimize it for greater impact.


cherries' bloom
a boy sings
throwing the noose away


Okay, so having the apostrophe next to cherries makes it sound possessive, which it is. But I think you should change it so it's not possessive, to "cherries bloom". When you read it out loud at sounds nicer, and the parallel structure of it just sort of works better because you are putting the cherries blooming side by side with the boy throwing the noose away. Almost as if this boy is the blooming cherries. He is blooming, he is taking his Spring to become a new person and take a new path, to finally blossom the way he's supposed to. Shockingly, this little apostrophe makes that much more difference.

I don't think sing or smile are necessarily the right words for this poem. To me, (this is just my interpretation), I feel like this poem has a more somber feel to it, with some hope. Using words like sing or smile makes the mood of the poem happy when we're supposed to recognize the boy's sadness. Maybe you could say something like "inhales" or "gasps", something of the like.

Another way to do it is write it like this
"cherries bloom
a boy faces the noose
throwing it away"

That's 18 syllables, but you could morph that and try to change it into your own thing.

One other option I just thought of, adding a word after "smiles" to make the mood more somber.

"cherries bloom
a boy smiles wistfully
throwing the noose away"

or

"cherries bloom
a boy smiles hopefully
throwing the noose away"

One last option (sorry, I must be confusing you to death) is to not even say "a boy". To just say "he" and imply there's a boy.

"cherries bloom
he smiles wistfully
throwing the noose away"

or with my earlier idea that would've had too many syllables

"cherries bloom
he faces the noose
throwing it away"

or "cherries bloom
he faces the noose
but throws it away"

Sorry, I've given far too many options, but I really wanted to show you all the things you could do with this. I love the idea, using a noose. Very creative :)

XOXO,
Gravity





This is a message to all you out there. You don't have to be the fastest writer. You don't have to write 2000 words in one sitting. But if you put your mind to it and really love your project, you can and will get further along than you ever thought possible.
— FireEyes