z

Young Writers Society



Under the Tree in the Dream

by Liminality


Soft brown cloth dimples, where the hood lifts,

as cloaked she waits for you under the angsana.

The knotted trunk rises, narrows

and dives into the hole in the wall

through shimmering edges of sleep-stone.

.

Lifting up and out again, under the rafters, the tree

bark appears and begins to splinter out into lean, sinewy twigs:

some reaching to scratch gently against the house, and others

spread like fingers reaching skyward.

.

Yellow flowers lightly rustling, about to take flight,

and one takes off from the tip of a branch

and floats gently to rest

on the soft tip of the cowl,

and she picks it off gently with her fingers,

making you an offering, in a pink palm.

.

A/N: Some questions I have for you, dear reader! Answer them if you'd like :)

1. What sort of feeling do the images convey to you?

2. Does your knowledge/ lack of knowledge of what an angsana tree is affect your reading?


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
967 Reviews


Points: 97
Reviews: 967

Donate
Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:32 pm
vampricone6783 wrote a review...



To answer your questions:The images in the story make me think that there is mystery woven in the love for the girl mentioned.I think that my lack of knowledge on what an angsana tree is does affect my reading because it might hold symbolic meaning in the poem that makes it more special.I hope you have a cool and nice day and night.




User avatar
1227 Reviews


Points: 144400
Reviews: 1227

Donate
Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:53 am
View Likes
alliyah wrote a review...



Hi Liminality! I learned a new reviewing method, so going to give it a try here! :)
But first I'll grrab your two questions!

1. What sort of feeling do the images convey to you?

The feeling I got from this poem was sort of a peaceful watching expectently following the trail of the action of the tree and flowers. I couldn't quite tell if the "she" was the tree itself, or a person, or something else at first but that was a bit mysterious especially given that they were hooded. I thought it was a nice suprise when the flower was offered back to the "you" at the end - reading the "you" as the reader it was like the poem offered a gift back.

2. Does your knowledge/ lack of knowledge of what an angsana tree is affect your reading?
To me it made the poem a bit more whimsical and mysterious because I wasn't familiar with what the tree looked like so didn't quite know what to expect or if there were any sorts of specific folklore around the tree. Where I'm from there aren't a ton of trees that have yellow-flowers either so that was a bit of a suprise, but didn't impede my reading. I looked up a picture of one after reading.

So I'm going to start off by just naming some of my initial impressions from the poem:
My overall experience of the poem was sort of dreamlike as the title suggested, it felt like being an observer to some peaceful pleasant exchange, I'm not quite initially sure of the "meaning" of the poem except maybe the idea of nature being more benevolent and hopeful than we often give it/her credit for.

Now I'll move on to examining some of the foreground / background materials. :)

Foreground Features I liked
Tremendous job describing a tree that was vivid and active and humanlike while not making it cliche or expected. For a poem about the movement of a tree, this was really vivid and active. It is easy to picture the images that are being described.

I really enjoyed how you divided the lines too - it seemed very intentional throughout, felt like it flowed well as well as highlighting the images as you moved from item to item.

Something that stood out to me too in reading was the mix of things passively happening vs actively happening. ie. the hood is described as just lifting itself without an actor making it so, which is unexpected, while the tree gets a lot of active descriptors - I thought that was a neat way to highlight the personhood / value / interest in the tree as well - it really came across as the "main character" of the poem.

Foreground Feature for improvement
The figure in hood was a prominent first reading image but it was bit difficult for me to track whether this figure was the tree, was someone else, or etc. I think that's part of the interest and whimsy of the poem, but I think digging a little bit more in their description would give the reader more to chew on.

Background Features I liked
A feature I didn't notice right away was how the sentence structure sort of shifts in the third stanza. Where the first two stanzas have the pattern of description, description-action, and description. And then the 3rd stanza has the line slow down to description and description and description and description. So the extra conjunctions make it feel a bit like the petal is slowly floating down and the action settles. That's a nice structural feature that's a bit hidden at first! :)

Background Feature I wasn't sure about
I liked the presence of the different colors in the poem, but I was a little unsure if there was somehow a symbolism between the three colors (brown, pink, yellow) that I was missing some association with. I know different colors can be symbolic, but wasn't quite sure if I should read more into the colors than I was.

Overall this is a really light and beautiful poem, that I think gives a reader more appreciation for trees and nature. And I think you do some really artsy nice things with your line structure that make the poem beautiful and intersting to read too. Please let me know if you have any questions about my review since this wasn't my typical review structure I might have missed some aspects!

all the very best, keep writing poetry forever please.

~ alliyah




Liminality says...


Thanks so much for the review, alliyah! Oh that's really interesting that the hooded figure kind of blends into the tree there. Yeah, I hadn't noticed the thing about the colours. I'd sort of chosen them just based off of trying to get 'earthy' looking colours like brown, and also just based on whatever image popped into my head, like pink palms. That's really interesting. Maybe if I tried using more specific descriptions that give context to the colours, this might change (like saying 'rosy skin of her palms' or 'brown of her cotton cloak')

And I like your interpretation of nature being more benevolent than we think! I like to think perhaps that was an underlying idea of the poem c: I'm really glad that the tree does come across as a 'main character' here, because that was the main thing I was going for I think! That and trying to create this 'little world' of the poem.

Thanks again! <3



User avatar
1232 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 1232

Donate
Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:04 pm
View Likes
MailicedeNamedy wrote a review...



Hi Lim,

Mailice here with a short review! :D


So, I just try to write what I felt during reading and why I liked the poem.

First of all, I have to say that I really liked that it didn't feel directly like a poem, but like a kind of story that you tell in a kind of anecdote. It was only with the next stanzas that I got the feeling that we were going into a poem.

What I like very much, and what I also wrote in my comment, was this warmth and security that comes with the descriptions. I like the way you start from the top down and describe the angsana, which gave me that feeling. Especially in the first stanza, like here:

as cloaked she waits for you under the angsana.


I guess it's that umbrella that gave me that semblance. But also that chirpy voice that you started with, where I felt that security.

What I liked a lot was in the second stanza, how there was this change.

Lifting up and out again, under the rafters, the tree
bark appears and begins to splinter out into lean, sinewy twigs:

It's like a kind of omen where you can expect something and I see with the descriptions a tree that is getting older, and partly also gives me this urge as if something has come that doesn't want to come.

some reaching to scratch gently against the house, and others
spread like fingers reaching skyward.

Here was the first time I had this feeling where I thought it could be a dream, because here with "gently" and "spread like fingers" it seemed like a wish, something that was not possible in real life. Somehow, at the same time, it gave me this emptiness, a vastness of a beginning, where I as a reader had the impression that we were also heading towards a direction of loneliness here.

The last stanza seemed to me, the realistic one, as if it were no longer a dream, but that's what I liked very much. You have awakened something in me with the first two stanzas, which gives me the impression of this security, but which then comes to an end here. Call it mistrust, but the poem reminds me of those sugary sweet dreams where everything is so beautiful and you're with someone, but idese become more and more bland and blurred the further you get and you linger in this melancholy for days afterwards. :D

What I really liked about this poem was its "simplicity", where you could quickly understand the story behind it at first glance and start interpreting it. Since I am still struggling a bit, I think I also liked the poem because it told a story in a chronological sequence.

Of course, I wrote a lot from my own thoughts and I don't know, for example, what the ansgana stands for in Southeast Asia? Is it more a sign of a certain quality or do people attribute any special powers to the tree?

In summary, a very beautiful poem, but also with an aftertaste of melancholy and caution. :D

Have fun writing!

Mailice




Liminality says...


Thanks for the review, Mailice! I enjoyed reading about how certain lines made you feel. Ah, loneliness and melancholy certainly are interesting - I can see how that might come through in the poem, since it's a calm yet sort of unreal-feeling scene.

I wrote about angsanas here because they grow outside of my house, so it's more of a personal reference for me. I did do a bit of Googling on that before writing the poem though, and I think the flowers and leaves are used in traditional medicine sometimes, and this tree is also the national tree of the Philippines. (There it's called narra, and not angsana, but I recognised it from the scientific name Pterocarpus indicus) In Malaysia, we mostly see it planted along roads and in park/garden areas.

Thanks again!



User avatar
1232 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 1232

Donate
Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:44 pm
View Likes
MailicedeNamedy says...



Maybe I´m coming back to review this piece but I´m just here to say that I like it and to answer the two questions.

1. While reading I got a feeling of warmth and security but also an open level where you could somehow be attacked from all sides. It was an alternation between a pleasant breeze and a rather uncertain prologue.

2. Through my frequent visits to the botanical garden, I was able to quickly form a picture of an Angsana tree, but I usually have more of a picture of a weeping willow in my head. I do not know why.




Liminality says...


Thanks Mailice! It's interesting to see there's an element of uncertainty there :D And oh, also super interesting about the weeping willow. Maybe the "hood" and "cloak" image kind of seem more resemblant of a soft willow tree than of an angsana tree.





That could be it with the hood. :D



User avatar
66 Reviews


Points: 400
Reviews: 66

Donate
Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:13 pm
View Likes
Starve says...



1. A sense of calm amidst mild chaos, comfort

2. Yes
When I googled an Angsana I was able to better visualize it. If I'd seen one irl I can guarantee the impact would be stronger




Liminality says...


Thanks so much for the comment! Ah, it's interesting to see chaos there as well :D Yup, I was thinking adding more specific detail about the angsana might help convey the picture better, so that's good to know~




Life is about losing everything.
— Isabel Allende