Describing the sky

by Liminality

Describing the sky

how many times can I write

'blue' in a haiku?

Same scenes from my breezy house,

backdrop without a foreground.

Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:23 am

This reminds my Homer's "wine-dark sea" and how there are theories that maybe ancient people could not see the color blue / or didn't have a name for it because "blue" doesn't appear in ancient literature outside of Egypt (as far as I know, could be wrong!)

I like that there's a little assonance between sky/write, blue/haiku, house/ground - creates a nice pattern there along with some alliteration towards the end. The description of the sky as a "backdrop" makes the case that "blue" is almost generic / un-noticed which is pretty interesting too, because it begs the question... why do we even go about describing the sky at all in the first place because of COURSE it's blue and of course it's there... it's almost like saying "I saw a human, their skin was on their face and between their eyes there sat a nose, and I thought I could see teeth in their mouth when they smiled" - ha, it's a funny habit of writers to include blue or to include descriptions of the sky at all.

This poem made me think more than I thought it would - and brought a smile to my face, it'll give me pause the next time I inevitably try to come up with a unique description for the blue-sky. :)

Thanks for sharing,

alliyah

Liminality says...

Thanks for the review! I'm happy you caught the assonance and the link between the blue sky and "backdrop". Thanks again!

Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:44 pm

Funny and cute! There are a lot of poems describing how “blue and beautiful” the sky is, but do people even realize that the sky isn’t always blue?

Here are the 1000,000,000,000 ways people describe skies:”They are so vast and blue and beautiful. They remind me of the eyes of my love and how much I love this person and how great the sky and love is blah blah blah..”

Hope that was ”helpful”!

I wish you an awesome day/night.

Liminality says...

Thanks for the review! I tend to describe the sky as blue quite a bit, because I compose haiku while walking in the garden (and my walks are always at mid-morning, during sunny weather). Though I can't say I've ever used the sky as a metaphor for someone's eyes, myself.

People are different and that%u2019s fine.

Thank you for posting this poem. I enjoyed it.

Death is only the end if you assume the story is about you.
— Welcome to Night Vale