Instructions for Visiting the Tree Café

by Liminality

- The sign is fine, there’s no need to pick it up, where it is – sitting on the floor for a bask in the sun. It says ‘Oak’s Kitchen’, did you know that? In our tongue. The carved letters settled deep and old.

- Walk under the lichen curtain of the cave, and don’t miss it too. Being a tree café hasn’t stopped it from being made of shapely rock, the ridges intricate under the palm, the walls cool and dark.

- You should see the trail of dandelion tufts floating, glowing white with magic, resonant ringing forcefield. Follow it to the menu stand.

- If you look, you will find the hole in the roof that lets the light in. That’s where the shyness melts away, warmed by sunlight. It’s a cold yellow beam, but refreshing, lemon-flavoured, and you should try the cakes, they are very zesty.

- In this place, we consider ‘very’ a very good word to use.

- Sit down at one of the toadstools, carefully – they’re quite springy: quite lofty in attitude and sometimes their spots wink. But they don’t usually mind being sat on, so don’t worry too much about it.

- The one at the counter, we call him Papa. Dark green leaves bush together from his chest to his feet, which rustle when the wind pours through the cave opening.

- What you do when you get here, is you pick one of the bottles humming in the pigeon hole. They are crammed and cluttered, yes, there’s not much space to carve out of stone here, but we have made do. The roots need to grow, too.

- And as a gesture of courtesy, kiss the knots in the tree that holds the walls together. Did you see it? Pale brown, seeming young-skinned even in his old age, the slender limbs that weave through the cracks in the cavern, snaking up to the cusp of the outside, quietly bursting into leaf-springs and soft grasses.

Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:48 am

Hey Lim! Hope you don't mind I saved reviewing this for RevMo to give me something fun to review! :)

First off the bat I really love the concept that this poem is written in - because it's really inventive and calls for a lot of whimsy (which seems to be present in a lot of your recent work!) and makes the reader sort of invent a scenario in which they would need these instructions for which is pretty fun.

Word Choice
I really like the voice that the instructions are expressed in - the little asides like "did you see it" and "they are very zesty" and "but we have made do" give a lot of personality to the instructions that give the author / narrator their own voice. The narrator comes across as a sort of tour-guide that is in love with what they're describing; very enthralled by the environment, and also almost magical or otherworldly in how they describe their relationship with the personified and valued environment.

The word choice and phrasing you use paints a beautiful picture of nature that really "comes alive" as its being described and even though the poem is mainly instructive and descriptive it still manages to be active which I think is pretty impressive and makes the piece all the more engaging to have that balance.

I wasn't distracted by any mistakes or inconsistencies so you did a good job editing the piece as always; the only thing wording-wise that I paused at a little bit was I sort of wanted you to use the word "very" again maybe in the last list item after you mention specifically it being a good word to use.

The "cafe" allusions were sparse but interwoven in nicely, but it seemed like the main point was sort of the nature imagery throughout.

Meaning / Mood
The mood I get when reading the poem is being surprised at something unexpected, and gaining a better appreciation for nature from the inventive lens it's described in the poem from. If there's a "meaning" maybe it's "take a second look" or even a sort of eco-poetry take: that we need to appreciate nature more - because it is more magical and interesting and lively than even a typical bustling cafe.

In the final bullet point the narrator expresses a sort of reverence to the tree the cafe is housed in - like a "tree of life" sort of situation - which maybe expresses that the whole cafe is housed around this tree which is essential to it. And we also shouldn't take nature for granted because our whole lives are based in it, even if we are a bit more disconnected than the narrator is to their tree cafe. Perhaps we need to re-discover the "magic" of being connected to nature / finding life from it.

I have to say I also really appreciate the blending of moods that you were able to pull of in this poem of sort of humor (from the funny notes like "leave the sign on the ground" and "don't worry too much about sitting on the toadstools; they don't mind" etc) mixed with this magic / awe / reverence. I don't usually see those two moods blended together and it's a really pleasant feeling to read through / imagine this poem and to experience those two moods at once.

Favorites & Imagery
My favorite two parts are probably the very first bullet point which really sets the mood of the rest of the poem and also introduces this hint of "magic / mystery" with the note "in our tongue. the carved letters settled deep and old" which is great description! and then I also liked the image of the people kissing the tree that was old but seemed young!

Suggestions
I don't really have much I'd change, maybe one slight note is I didn't feel like that second half of the final sentence felt very final, and "soft grasses" seemed like maybe not the strongest image to end on as the grass takes you outside of the tree and throws you back outside of the poem instead of lingering in it. While the first bullet point made the rest of the list feel almost narrative, the second half of the final bullet point felt more of a list than the end of that narrative. I may have been missing some sort of symbolism in that final line though!

Altogether a really fun / imaginative poem that is totally different than anything I've read before! Thanks for sharing it; it was a sweet little moment to read it. :)

Let me know if you had any questions about my review or interpretation etc!

~ alliyah

Liminality says...

Thanks so much for the review, alliyah! I'm glad that this poem stirs the whimsical side of the imagination - that was def the thread for my NaPo poems and still nowadays.

the only thing wording-wise that I paused at a little bit was I sort of wanted you to use the word "very" again maybe in the last list item after you mention specifically it being a good word to use.

Oh yes that's a great thought!!

I can certainly see that! I think I'm just better at describing nature scenes in general because I've had more practice, and it's really an aim of mine to try and integrate the natural elements of my poems a bit more with the constructed elements, especially in poems like these where both are promised in the title :D

I totally get you on that final line! If I revise this one sometime, that would def be on my changelist.

Thanks so much for this thoughtful review! I really enjoyed reading your perspective on this.

Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:00 am
Plume wrote a review...

Hey there! Plume here, with a review!!

Ooh, a good old list poem!! And quite delightful too, I might add!! Right away, I was drawn in. I love the juxtaposition of the title with the actual content as well; I normally think of instructions as bland, straightforward things, but you've managed to create some that are a true work of art!! Well done!!

You really nailed the flow of this one. The variation in sentence length and the way you play with sentence structure make the poem feel like a tree branch swaying. I loved the contrast that's peppered through as well—you've got these terse, imperative sentences like "walk under the lichen curtain" and "follow it to the menu stand" combined with other more flowery fragments, and it gives the poem a very familiar voice, like the narrator is recounting their own memories and giving the reader insider info about this café, in a way. Throughout, there's this sense of nativeness on the part of the speaker that makes the poem feel extra cozy and comforting.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention your stupendous imagery as well. That description of the sunbeam is so cheery and delightful, and so is the one about the toadstools. It really makes the poem feel right out of a fairy tale or some sort of cute fantasy RPG. Really nice work; every word feels purposeful and only helps to further the magical environment you created within this poem.

The sign is fine

Already, I love the little rhyme at the beginning. It helps to set the tone of this poem as whimsical and fun.

the ridges intricate under the palm,

Also loved this bit of soundplay here—'ridges' and 'intricate' complement each other nicely. One thing you were stupendously consistent with throughout is throwing in little bits of soundplay that I think also contributed to the flow of this poem and gave it that distinct poetic quality.

Pale brown, seeming young-skinned even in his old age, the slender limbs that weave through the cracks in the cavern, snaking up to the cusp of the outside, quietly bursting into leaf-springs and soft grasses.

While the imagery in this sentence is fantastic, I did notice that there isn't a true verb in it. I am a believer in tossing grammar conventions out when writing poetry, but I do think that the unconventionalness of it makes me crave something more after it. It doesn't feel finished. I feel like you either need a true verb in there (e. g. changing "that weave" to "weave") or putting a shorter, true sentence after this one, to make it feel final.

Overall: what a lovely poem!! It's so tranquil and magical, and your flow, imagery, and soundplay showcase this truly imaginative tree café. I hope to read more of your poetry soon! Until next time!!

Liminality says...

Thanks so much for your thoughtful review! I love how you phrased your impressions and I'm so happy all that came through. This poem was def inspired by fantasy RPGs, so it's super cool to see you bring that up. I was also trying to go for familiarity in quite a few of my NaPo poems, but especially this one as well. Thanks for the observation on that last line as well! You're right, I think not having a main verb to focus on makes it read a bit clunky and cluttered, which means it's not a great place to end on.

Thanks again, and good luck on the Great Tortoise Race!

The tree cafe seems like a magical place to be.Who wouldn’t want to go there? I would love to be in that environment.I think fairies dine there.It wouldn’t be a big surprise.Everything in there is alive and full of color.This poem expresses it vividly.I can see it from reading it.This was nice.I hope you have a cool day and night.

Writing is the geometry of the soul.
— Plato