z

Young Writers Society


12+ Violence

Hurricane Columns

by Chaser


Falling to my death                                   through the eye                                           of a hurricane

      Plunging,                                                     flying,                                              screaming down

           Pleading for                                   your skyward winds                        to slaughter me

                Debris-laden storms to                   catch me              by the innards on a telephone pole

                       Crucify me                               like a god                 with the dignity of being killed

                           Anything to break          this pressurized silence               into living rain

                                Your hurricane               gently turns          to surround me with

                                                               This murderous love


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
624 Reviews


Points: 3571
Reviews: 624

Donate
Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:25 am
Casanova says...



yo bug me about reviewing this




Chaser says...


review dis



User avatar
841 Reviews


Points: 664
Reviews: 841

Donate
Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:04 am
View Likes
Radrook wrote a review...



I am definitely impressed by the way the poem is organized on the page. Also, it has a lot of imagery which definitely is a plus for a poem. Please note that I do realize that the poem is under the category of Dramatically Romantic and it was intended as such.

However, there are so many religious images that I found it almost impossible not to see a link between them and the life of Jesus or how someone might interpret his life.

For example, the crucification of a god, is applicable to Jesus Christ and his Ransom Sacrifice. The hurricane? Well, his last hours on Earth were indeed like a hurricane. The love? The Bible clearly teaches that he was being crucified for the sake of the Love God has for mankind. Honor or dignity? That also harmonizes with Jesus' death, resurrection and glorification.

The silence mentioned also dovetails with the fact that Jesus asked why God had abandoned him. Which might indicate that the speaker believes that Jesus was actually abandoned due to God's silence during the whole ordeal.

But there is something that differs significantly from the biblical message in the poem, the concept of murderous love.

Not saying that all this was intentional or not. I don't claim to know. Only that it is one way that it might be understood. In short, once a pole, crucifixion, a god, love and a death, a hurricane like situation are mentioned, the possibility of such an understanding or misunderstanding becomes highly probable.

On the other hand it can be seen as referring to a romantic situation that involves a rush of events.

Looking forward to reading more of your work.




User avatar
265 Reviews


Points: 16
Reviews: 265

Donate
Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:35 pm
myjaspercat wrote a review...



Hey there Chaser,
Myjaspercat here to leave you a review.

First of all, in the description of your piece you told us that the poem could be read both horizontally and by column, however when I read it both ways I got a little confused with the later. Is there a certain way that the readers should view this piece if they read it by column?
-->That all aside, like alliyah said, the formatting is really neat and it really brings a sense of originality into the piece so kudos for you there.

Second, I enjoyed the imagery you had here even though it seemed a bit vague. I also didn't get why the second column was all in italics while the other two weren't. What's the significance to that?

Other then that I don't see much else to comment on. You have a pretty solid piece here. Good luck and continue writing.




User avatar
1227 Reviews


Points: 144550
Reviews: 1227

Donate
Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:18 pm
alliyah says...



The formatting of this is really neat!





The very worst use of time is to do very well what need not be done at all.
— Benjamin Tregoe