Absolute - Chapter 1

by Vervain

-text removed-

Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:05 am
Hattable says...

Remind me to read this until I do.

Vervain says...

Will do.

Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:24 am
Songmorning wrote a review...

This has such beautiful and vivid descriptions. You write about the neighborhood in Orlando as if you've been there. I also really felt the emotion there when Rem switched from furious raging to crying. I bet my brother could relate to Elijah--the fear of having not answered lots of calls and text messages.

I thought it was a little extreme when Elijah actually threw away his shirt just because it smelled like beer. Who would do that? Shirts cost money. Well, maybe that's just my frugality talking.

Or maybe he doesn't care about the shirt because of all this talk about their "last day on Earth" and "going out". That makes me curious. They seem way to casual to be about to all die, but some of the things they say almost sound like it.

I'm very interested to find out what will happen next.

Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:11 pm
SpiritedWolfe wrote a review...

Hiya, Ark!~ About time I got here :P Please excuse any typos as I am on a tablet.

Overall, Megrim's review covered a lot of the technical, "actually write-y" stuff, so I'll see what I can add to that as well as my own impressions.

After actually reading this, yes I can see why some people are concerned (if that's the word) why there aren't any sci-if elements, because as of now, the main conflict seems to be realistic drama between Rema and Elijiah. Which seem to be convoluted on their own. But I can comment on this because I'm a cheater, I did enjoy seeing mention of the library and perhaps some slight foreshadowing -- as I recall that Mavon works at a library. Unless she doesn't and I'm utterly wrong.

Your descriptions were beautiful, I must admit, however, they did feel out of place. Back tracking a little bit, the beginning was not one that instantly grabbed my attention, which isn't bad. I had to push on a little to start getting into it, but that lead to a little confusion or misconception -- perhaps my fault. As I was reading the beginning, I was under the impressing that it was nighttime and sunset, which was confusing for bit. That misconception may have stemmed from skimming the paragraph to find 'the point'. So, my recommendation is to drop more hints early on. Perhaps push back the scene setting just a moment to create even a little tension that sparks interest more than a sunrise would.

Again, as of now, it's not horrible. I loved the imagery and vividness I could see the scene (once I figured out time of day) but it was a start that relied on the reader enagaging themselves more than a hook, if that makes sense.

(I'm sorry if that was really scattered and hard to follow, your writing doesn't leave me with much to critique ^^)

The final thing that I think Megrim said but just wanted to reiterate is that description can be your best friend, but it can also bog down writing. No matter how luxurious it is, too much description makes it harder to read and discourage readers to continue, so perhaps cut down on some of the setting description here and look to gives us character images, perhaps just some quick details, like hair and eye color.

Otherwise, I love the characterization. Elijah sounds like my kind of character and it was really entertaining seeing him try and dodge around things (first the library books and then Rem.)

Alright, I lied. One more thing XD I don't understand the relationship between Rem and Elijiah. I originally thought they were dating, from the way Rem was calling Elijiah over and over again, and the way she said he wasn't there to defend herself, but if they were dating, wouldn't her parents know that? And I honestly don't understand why what the parents asked as so bad...? This may not be as pressing because I am younger, if that makes a difference xD

Overall, this was well written and enjoyable and I look forward to reading the next part-- which should be right now. Best of luck!
~Wolfe

Vervain says...

Bleh, my little ramble for the day: I don't GET why if it says "Sci-fi" it has to be sci-fi in every little moment of every little freaking word. The whole POINT is that the sci-fi and realistic plots have equal weight. And this isn't you, specifically, it's just that every. single. person. has gone "but whyyy no sci-fi" and it's getting really on my nerves xD Patience is a virtue and all that.

Rem comes from an old-fashioned, old-money, and Quite Religious background, which is why it's a big deal for her if her parents think she's pregnant or even has the possibility of being pregnant. (For the record, she's not even interested in dating people; romance in general freaks her out.)

Also, literally the third word is "sunrise", so... uh, yeah, about getting the time confused. "The Orlando sunrise", first three words of the entire novel.

I don't even have that much setting description in this entire piece (actually, as it's been pointed out, I don't have ENOUGH to begin with), and I prefer not to describe things like characters' hair and eye color unless they're something that my main character would notice. The description I'm getting bogged down with is description of movement, which I know from re-reading it and getting others' reviews on this.

Thanks for your review!

Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:42 am
Megrim wrote a review...

Megrim here for the Big Review! Excited to actually review something of yours. I haven't read it yet and am going to comment as I go.

The imagery in the first paragraph is excellent. I love it. Vivid, evocative, engaging multiple senses. My only qualm is that starting with the sunset delays the start of the story proper. The character is introduced, but only as far as his name, really. Getting the setting in is great, but I'm a little leery of spending 3-4 sentences on it before anything else is established. What's lacking for me is conflict or tension--there's no stakes, and for all I know it's a normal boring day for him. I'd prefer we get a bit more context before pausing to expand on the scenery. Perhaps just move this paragraph down a little?

I will admint "phone's constant buzzing" doesn't particularly excite me as the source of tension. Maybe a line about the real issue, behind the phone buzzing, which is what's really on his mind?

He tried to keep his phone turned on all the time in case of emergency, but Rem was seriously trying his patience. He didn't want to see how many missed calls he had, not after he'd been woken up by his phone yelling insults at him in a vaguely French accent, and she'd just kept calling. Even when he turned his volume off, he could almost feel her fuming from the apartment.

So early in the novel, IMO it's crucial to be very judicious about what is or isn't included. I like to think of words having a value or cost, and they should be spent wisely. At this point you're still trying to engage the reader and establish their trust, so every sentence counts. Personally I consider something like keeping the phone on all the time a superfluous detail. It doesn't add character or forward the plot. The paragraph ends up feeling a little redundant, eg with the "even when he turned his volume off," on top of having already said it was buzzing. Also small thing, I don't think you need the italics on want.

Elijah shrugged and pulled his phone out, holding down the power button until it gave him the option to shut off.

Ah, here's a perfect example of unnecessary detail. That's a lot of words for something that could be said a lot more simply ("He powered down his phone"), and the result is it draws a lot of attention to something that doesn't deserve it. You want my focus on the characters and dialogue, not the phone, so I think this distracts from the more important stuff.

Morgan popped her bubblegum and jiggled the key in the lock for a minute before tugging it back out. "What did you skip this time to piss her off so bad?"

Great imagery. The action beat punctuates the dialogue with a hint of characterisation, while also reminding us of the setting.

"I don't choose to see it as skipping dinner with her parents," he drawled, earning a sharp laugh from the bartender. "Let's look at it instead as enjoying my last night on Earth."

Drawled really stands out here. Some people say never use said bookisms. My rule of thumb is to base it off where I want the focus--the dialogue, or the tone or action? Here, it's the dialogue, so I would use said to avoid breaking the flow.

Also I would get rid of all these italics. I've heard a lot of different arguments, such as that the words should stand by themselves such that the emphasis is clear by the context. I guess I don't like being handheld with where to place the emphasis. Nothing seems gained by it here.

He crossed his hands over his chest and looked up to the sky, trying to hold the laughter in, but it only worked halfway.

Kinda laughing at his own joke here, isn't he? Feels out of place.

Elijah shook his head. "No way in hell, you know what that does to me. You ask me, I'd rather go out sober."

Interesting tidbit of characterisation.

Clipping her thermos into the bike's cupholder, Morgan undid the lock in three swift movements—he had to admit that he was a little jealous of that. In three years of hanging out with her, he'd never once been able to figure out her combination, even though she admitted to using the same set of numbers for every lock and password imaginable.

Important? Relevant?

the cops would've been jumping with joy to ticket him with public intoxication, even if it was just his clothes.

This makes it sound like the cops have it out for him in particular.

linking his fingers together and pushing his hands towards the sky,

Another example of overwriting. It reminds me of a satire article on Dan Brown, which went something like, "He walked from one side of the lounge to the other, using his feet which were attached to his legs."

he could hear dogs barking from every direction, taste brackish water on the breeze, feel the Florida morning soaking into his bones with every drop of sweat. Somewhere in the distance, a radio was playing the Beatles; he almost stopped to listen, but kept moving when a beat-up Cadillac rolled past him.

You could probably rearrange to avoid the filter verbs (could hear, taste, feel). (Those are verbs that place an extra step between the reader and the scene, when you're in deep pov; the character acts as a "filter" perceiving everything instead of it being stated directly, a la "the Florida morning soaked into his bones").

That aside, as much as I love these descriptions, I'm still not convinced it's the time and place for them. The only plot impetus we have is Rem being angry with him about something related to having dinner with the in-laws. There's not much of a hook in there. I'm not worried or excited or anxious to see what will happen. It's still pretty much a typical day for him. At this point, we're so far in, I expect something to happen. As a normal reader, my interest would wan here and I might put it down.

On the other side, there was a sudden drop in the number of used car lots—only one, Mike's Used Auto—and a spike in the number of convenience stores and mom-and-pop businesses dotting the sides of the road. He couldn't have named any of their proprietors, except for Mike, who still tried to sell him a car once in a while when he passed by on a morning walk.

I have to force myself not to skim here. I'm starting to think, "Blah, blah, blah, let's get to the point." Why does it matter that there are more used car lots on one side of some Avenue than the other? Why should I care that he can't name any of their proprietors? Yes, it's great having a fleshed out setting, but be careful about what details you put into the narrative, and where. Consider it on a need-to-know basis, plus a little extra for flavour. That is to say, what will enhance the scene, here and now? I might allow *one* stray thought that serves no purpose besides a little background on the character, or a little atmosphere to the world, but if it were me, I'd hack away at all these big paragraphs of fluff.

There was the library, right next to the kids' park with the playground and the dog walk, but it was all abandoned for the sake of theme parks and Wet N' Wild. No one wanted to be on a metal slide in the middle of summer, and no kid would've been caught dead in the library if not for the computers and the air conditioning.

Unless there's something unique and place/time/universe-specific, I wouldn't bother mentioning this sort of thing. People everywhere don't want to go down a metal slide. Why is it worth mentioning in your story? If he has a personal experience relating to a hot slide, or in this society the playgrounds are a BIG deal and it's crazy that no one's on them, then yeah, that needs to be said. But if it's just today's society, I don't think there's much gained by repeating something so everyday.

It was less of a decision and more of an instinctual maneuver to survive, but he had to admit, being chased up four flights of stairs by a travel agent was one hell of a cardio workout.

This is getting more interesting. I found the next section fairly quick and easy to read, and nothing really threw me out of the story. Some points seemed a little over the top, namely the descriptions of Rem's emotional state. "Her jaw was shaking, her teeth chattering" seems pretty extreme for being upset over skipping out on dinner.

"They asked me," she growled, "if Luke and I were dating. If we were engaged. If we were planning on dating. If I waspregnant. They acted like... Like I was a child, couldn't take care of myself. And you left and you went—wherever the hell you went. You weren't even here to defend us, Elijah. You weren't even here to defend us."

I assumed Elijah and Rem were dating. Now I'm not so sure. Brother and sister are a possibility. Or best friends?

Closing Comments:

I'm a little surprised it ended where it did. TBH I expected to find out more about what exactly the dinner was about. I don't feel I know that much more than when I started. I'm unclear on the characters' relationships, understand that Rem is mad but not really why, and don't have a sense of where we're going. The chapter seemed to be mostly fluff, as far as I could tell.

Plot: I wouldn't say I have a good grasp on where this is going in either the long term or the short term. Not much happened in the chapter--basically he went home and had a brief confrontation. Why does the story start here? Is this the inciting incident, the life-changing moment? The genre is listed as sci-fi, but I didn't get any hints of sciencey undercurrents or anything different about your story world versus our own. I think if I were reading this in a bookstore, I wouldn't feel compelled to continue.

Setting: This is very nicely done. I liked that you mentioned it here and there throughout, to keep us grounded. I don't think so many *details* are necessary, but the overall atmosphere was captured nicely.

Character: This was also nicely done. I felt all three characters with screen time were distinct, and each had a little bit of unique personality and characterisation, be it what they were wearing, mannerisms, etc.

Technique: I thought the prose was nice and pleasant to read. Occasionally there was some purple prose which took me out of the story. My biggest issue is just the abundance of what seems to be mundane detail, which slows the pace and dilutes out whatever is actually important.

Your writing style is very pleasant, and despite my complaining, I'm actually quite eager to read chapter 2. Maybe it's because I'm curious to figure out where you wanted to go with this, since it's so open-ended here. Anyway, thanks for sharing and happy writing!

Vervain says...

To be honest, this is something of my stand-in chapter one until I can go back and figure out where the story really needs to start. Because it's a first draft, I got chapter one -- the hardest part -- done and out of the way with something that might or might not build into the main story.

And I definitely have a problem with details xD When I put them in, it's too many; when I leave them out, I need more. I always feel weird with action verbs, because I feel like I need to describe more, because when I don't describe more, people tell me off for not describing, and just... ugh. It's a big vicious cycle, and I can't figure out how to make it work for me.

Purple prose is something I've cut down on a lot since I started writing; nowadays, I think, I skip over it when I'm spot-editing because I'm more afraid of having beige prose. I'm leerier of falling into the pit of "He did this. Then he did that" than I am of how I'm writing now, if that makes sense? All the same, yeah, it's something I need to focus on when I go back and edit this, and thank you for confirming my suspicions on that <3

Like I said, this chapter is really open-ended because it's kind of a small tidbit of an introduction -- I'm afraid of dropping the readers in too deep, and I'm afraid of taking them out too shallow, so I started it where I know I'll have a chapter or two to further develop the situation, plot, and world. Definitely not ideal for a finished book (or even a second draft), but for a first draft, it's what I do to get words on the page.

Thank you very much for your feedback!

Megrim says...

"because when I don't describe more, people tell me off for not describing"
Sometimes when people say you should describe more, what they really mean is they didn't have a good sense of what to picture. I think a lot of beginners try to compensate by adding volume, but that has it's own problems, as we've seen. I think the trick is being strategic about it. I like to think of it like cold reading, the technique used by psychics: pick a few highly specific details, which gives a strong scaffold, and the audience's imagination fills in the rest.

I only noticed something I thought was purple prose once in a while, definitely nothing too overboard. One suggestion for avoiding "He did this. Then he did that" might be to consider everything through the perspective and judgments of the POV character. So like, conversational, like the natural thoughts in their head. Voice, I guess you could say.

Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:06 am
RedaMajid wrote a review...

This chapter just isn't drawing me in and I don't really see where this story is going when I saw the comment about the Cadillac I thought this story would get interesting but is just continued to be dull. The first chapter is supposed to drawn in the reader because that is what most people judge the book on. Also you don't really describe the characters enough.

Vervain says...

What exactly did you find uninteresting? How do you think I could fix this while keeping the atmosphere and tone in the piece? I don't know how to fix the problems you have with the piece unless you tell me what exactly isn't working.

RedaMajid says...

Try an add something to keep the reader going I cant help you with this because I don't know where this book is going!

Vervain says...

This is no help at all; if you don't give me advice, then how am I supposed to improve? All you've done is told me "this is boring" and not told me how to fix it.

kayfortnight wrote a review...

Kay here :)

Details first:

I like your opening description; with the comparison to a "Wish You Were Here" card, it's not the usual fare, in a good way. It paints a picture for me and blends into the next lines very well.

I would like even just a throwaway line for physical description of the bartender, Morgan, as we have an image of her personality but not of her, well, actual image. I'm assuming she's built athletically, because she's a cyclist, but that's all I can see.

the cops would've been jumping with joy to ticket him with public intoxication, even if it was just his clothes

This makes me think that Elijah is a scruffy-looking man, potentially of minority descent since cops tend to be more aggressive there. What you were going for?

The Cadillac statement is interesting, but I'm not sure what to make of it. If there's a reason behind it, I assume it will be revealed later; if it's a case of some bizarre prejudice against Cadillac drivers, I remain confused :)

Again, the description of his locale is interesting. I notice where he lives appears to be a nicer part of town than where he works, although we don't really get information on exactly how much better is it. Perhaps a little more description on the apartment building? It's good enough to have AC, but is the carpeting frayed and blue or do they have marble floors? It can basically show where he is monetarily in life.

Leesee... So, Luke, Rem, and Elijah share an apartment. At first, with the way Elijah was talking about Rem in the beginning, I thought the two of them were romantically involved, but by the end of the chapter I just get the impression of a close friendship. I don't know how Luke fits in yet.

Other character things:

Elijah: Parental problems, though the specifics are not addressed quite yet. I think he works at the Tricky Dick, considering his rapport with Morgan and a drunk spilled something on him.

Rem: Parental problems- parents seem to be wanting for grandchildren or something, or they see chemistry between her and Luke that no one else does. They are acknowledged to be a big pain and I'd venture to say Rem isn't close to them. Fancy first name- parents are either rich/eccentric or trying to sound like they are. Rem is a control freak/ worrier.

Morgan: Athletic, runs the Tricky Dick, knows Elijah very well and Rem too, but sounds like she might know Rem through Elijah, not separately, since she sides with Elijah.

Luke: Takes classes somewhere, pretty loyal to Rem.

Plot: Not much going on yet, but that's normal for a first chapter. I'm intrigued, but it's a character thing, which isn't necessarily bad.

So... That's my observations for this chapter. There's nothing necessarily to criticize about your characters or plot yet, since it's so early on and all that's happening now is establishment, so I figured I'd just point things out and see if I'm getting the impressions you're aiming for.

Vervain says...

Hey there~

To start with, yeah, I'm not the best at describing things and people. I always feel like my descriptions end up too clunky or they don't fit, so I rarely ever write one that actually stays in the chapter; I should probably extend a few descriptions to my characters and major places, though, I guess xD I'll definitely try to add some visual descriptors in later chapters!

And Elijah is in fact a little bit scruffy and a little bit minority -- he's half-Korean, so he's not exactly the most discriminated guy in the world, but he's still obviously not white, which can lead to a few problems with the backwards folks you can find in any major city.

As for your comments on the characters, you're pretty much spot-on, except Elijah's more of a hanger-on at the Tricky Dick than anything else. This will (hopefully) become clearer in later chapters, but he's a self-professed "bar philosopher", sometimes drifting between part-time jobs and currently unemployed. He'll spend the night in a bar, drinking soda or water instead of alcohol, and talk some poor soul's ear off with so-called "deep" theories. (He, personally, finds it hilarious. He has a degree in Literature Studies, focused in classics, so he can find or fake a "deep" meaning in almost anything you throw at him.)

Thanks for your feedback on your impressions! It's actually really helpful to know how my characters are coming across this early on, so I know if I'm writing them the way I intended them to be. (And, as a side note, poor Rem's first name is actually stolen from the younger sister of one of my friends in high school. Even he had no clue why his parents named her Remington.)

kayfortnight says...

Alright :)

Some of your descriptions were very good, and I definitely know what you mean about fearing they'll come off clunky :) Since you've read my chapter already, you've probably noticed I'm not the best at description either! Actually, that one might be a style question, considering there's Tolkien-description and then some writers are pretty sparse with it.

That's good that your characters are coming off the way you'd like :) I like the character-based feedback method because I tend to pick up a novel for good characters over plot, so I notice more about them. Good to get confirmations on my correct guesses and a clearing-up of Elijah's position. The nice thing about my observations is that they're supposed to change with more information, so in a chapter or two, I'll be saying, "Oh, I see. Not this, but this."

And poor Remington :) I've never been the nasty nickname type and even I can think of ways little kids would abuse that name.

Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:50 am
CowLogic says...

The last line of this really speaks to me. It's a real throwback to the days of chivalry and high culture, where men would refer to one another as "ma'am" and women would refer to each other as "sir." Those were the good old days, before the used of "fam" and "bae" as pseudomonikers.

A poet is, before anything else, a person who is passionately in love with language.
— W.H. Auden