12+

lies i take as truths

by momonster

i broke my mirror yesterday because i didn't like what it said.

liquid lies seeped out of my reflection and into my mind,

twisting my gaze and my thoughts.

its sickly sweet voice told me i didn't deserve happiness,

and that i should starve and shrivel up into a faceless lifeless being.

its words wrapped around my brain, taking it in a chokehold,

making my own image the only thing i can overthink.

i contemplate every word i've said and every word i didn't,

every thing i've done, and what others thought of me.

i cannot force these thoughts from my head,

so i wear a thin mask of positivity and a smile in front of

my friends and family, hiding what i truly feel and think.

even though if i asked for help with carrying these burdens,

they wouldn't hesitate to assist me with my load.

but what if they would only see me as an inconvenience,

and brush me off with a dismissive wave?

Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:45 am
Kaia wrote a review...

Greetings, momo! Sorry it took a while for me to arrive. Life has been on the hectic side, but here I am to inspect a pair of neglected shoes sitting all alone by the corner. How sad!!

Honestly, I can find no place for improvement. This poem is perfectly worded and instantly paints images in my mind. So all I can really do is break down the poem and analyze what I got from it. :)

The things that I really liked about it are the descriptions. You used a lot of poetic themes here to really make them great. For example, when you said "liquid lies" the alliteration there is perfect. Then, to add to the mental picture you used the verb "seeped." Very nice combination!!

Now the character him/herself. The whole poem revolves around the main characters thoughts. He or she feels very uncomfortable with his or her reflection in the mirror. Depression and sad thoughts have clouded over the reality of the situation and made this person think that living as a shriveled up faceless creature would be better than living altogether.

Normally, I would be begging to know why the character feels like this, but you cleverly illustrates the idea that this character did nothing wrong and these are only extremely depressed thoughts when you wrote that the character contemplates everything he or she did, said, and did and did not say.

Now, at this point I have to wonder if the mirror is even real or if the character's "mirror" is a part of him or herself that likes to reflect on the bad that has been done and paint an evil, lying image of the person in the person's brain. Seeing as though the person's thoughts are so clouded by darkness, this seems to be rather likely.

It looks like that as the poem progresses these thoughts get darker and darker, twisting into an ever deepening mental hole. I just want to crawl into the mind of the person and whisper some truth into the haze of darkness wrapped around this person's brain.

All right, that's all I've got. Hope you found this review helpful and uplifting! :)

-Kaia

momonster says...

thank you for the review! i%u2019m glad you enjoyed the poem.

momonster says...

Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:03 pm
OrabellaAvenue wrote a review...

Hi there! This is Copper, a story bunny, here to review your wonderful poem!

Are you okay there, friend? This sure is a sad poem. No, not sad. Sad isn't a very good word to describe it.
You know, Orabella has told me a very similar story about her own life. If you ever want to talk to her, she's there. ^^

Overall impressions:
This is based heavily on self images. And the mirror is such a perfect metaphor that I'm hopping around with joy! Mirrors just reflect what they see, but they can be easily distorted, whether it's the actual mirror or its viewer. (Or both) Also, the cover is really cool. I couldn't think up a better one to fit this poem.

Anyways, on to the review!

All in 12 words, you describe the feeling I think you were going for perfectly, and introduce my favorite metaphor. The mirror was reflecting this person, but they didn't like what they looked like or they didn't like themself. Maybe they broke the mirror because they were angry? Or they didn't want to see themself again, because in their eyes, they were ugly or they weren't worth enough or they felt like they just aren't good enough. (That's a lot of "they". Sorry)

twisting my gaze and my thoughts.

"Lies" refers to the title, correct? Lies that you consider truths. They know they're lies, but they can't help believing them. Which doesn't make sense when I say it…
It's like there's a voice in their head telling you these things, or like little insecurities are building on each other and making them seem bigger than they are. They aren't solid; they're a liquid easily able to slip through the cracks. More perfect metaphors!

This voice is telling them that they don't matter. They don't deserve life, don't deserve happiness, and they don't deserve to eat. They deserve to starve. (Which is never true, by the way. Never.) The sickly sweet reminds me of before, how they know it's wrong, that it's a lie, but they still believe it and they still let it influence them.

It's kinda like once you let it in, it starts to take a stronger hold. And its small voice grows and grows until it's overwhelming. It traps them, making it so they can't move, like a chokehold, and if they try to they'll suffocate. Their self-image is corrupted and they worry about who they are or what they look like.

They think about what they should've done, what they shouldn't have. They go over and over again things in their mind that they did wrong or things that were embarrassing, especially things that would affect others. I can't tell you how many people do this. I really can't, because I don't know. But I'm gonna guess that, like me, like you, there are so many other people out there that feel this way, and worry so much about what other people think and wish they could take back or say so many words.

Again, these thoughts are just invading their mind, and they want them to stop. But the thoughts won't leave.

Another metaphor! The mask. They wear a mask that both blocks their true feelings and portrays a different one. One that isn't struggling. And no one knows. Their friends and their family don't know what they think of themself. The fact that it's thin could mean that they aren't sure how well they're hiding it, or maybe it's easily breakable. Or maybe I'm over analyzing.

What's so sad is that this person knows there will be people to help them; that there will be people who would even be sad that they didn't and want to help more than anything, and yet this person still can't bring themself to tell others. Which, again, is something that so many people deal with.

And even though they know people would help them, they're still afraid of dismissal. They're afraid they won't be cared about, or that they'll be thought of as "too sensitive". Okay, this is making me really sad. Can I just go through the screen and give them a hug? Or just words of encouragement or appreciation? Everyone deserves to be loved, and it's saddening to me that people feel this way. I won't say who, but I know a fair amount of people that feel like that.

If you ever need anything, I'll always be here. <3

I absolutely adore this poem! It almost made me cry; it was that powerful. I'll definitely tell Orabella to read more of your poems, because they're amazing! (She says that if she had to choose any poem in the world that is most relatable, it would be this one. And she's read many poems in her lifetime.) This is literally my new favorite. ^^

As is the story bunny motto:

If this helps, here's a cute bunny picture to lighten your mood:

momonster says...

thank you so much for this review! you pretty much picked up on everything i was trying to say in this poem. it's good to know other people understand what you're going through. thanks for the through-the-screen hug; it's much appreciated! <3

Of course! Thanks for telling me about it. I might never have known about this amazing poem at all.

spottedpebble wrote a review...

This poem is like a reflection of my own thoughts sometimes.

I like the way this poem flows and how it's written in free verse. The way you have frased everything makes it powerful and real.

Did you not capitalize the word 'i' because the person in the poem feels as if they're not important? I think that's brilliant. It really reflects the narrator's opinion of themselves.

My summary from what I have interpreted this poem as: Someone broke their mirror because they didn't like the reflection. The person started to believe the lies their reflection told them, and it's messing up their thoughts. They feel as though they don't deserve happiness and like they can't tell anyone because they think no one will want to help them.

I know what this feels like. And though I want the poem to have a happy ending, I know that sometimes asking for help is hard because what if no one wants to help you? Then you feel even worse knowing that people don't care about your troubles.

But hopefully there's always someone who wants to help. :)

momonster says...

thanks for the review! i personally don%u2019t capitalize my poetry as a stylistic choice; it%u2019s what i prefer and what i think expresses my poetry best :)

herbalhour wrote a review...

Back again, reviewing because I didn't lengthen my original comment enough for it to count as a review.

As I said, I really liked the flow of this work. The use of the mirror and personification of it was really touching. The way you described its voice helped me envision this.

I didn't realize this the first time I read, but I realized that you spaced every, and thing. This didn't cross my mind, but made the sentence more impactful. I really like poetry, and think that this is amazing. ^_^

☆*: .。. o(≧▽≦)o .。.:*☆

momonster says...

thanks for the review! i'm glad you enjoyed reading.

herbalhour says...

your welcome ^^
anytime :3

herbalhour says...

I really liked the flow of this!
The absence of capitalization helped convey your message better, and I liked the final line.
This is relatable for me, and I think it doesn't need any tweaks.
You are really talented!!

:D

You are strong enough to conquer this day and the rest of your life.
— Tuckster