12+

mirror / reflection

by momonster

TW: b*dy dym*rph*a, r*pe, d*ath

a toddler taking her first steps,
carefully stumbling,
her parents cheering her on.

a young girl playing with her mother's makeup,
hoping she doesn't get caught.
full of innocence and wonder.

a teenager crying, hating her body,
wishing anything she was anything
than what she is.

a teenager sitting on her bed,
heart hollow, tears running down her cheeks;
she is numb, and her eyes see nothing.

a young woman looking at her pregnant belly,
full of anticipation and fear for her child,
and the life to come.

a mother nursing her baby, tears running down her face,
her whole life has changed,
and she doesn't know what to do.

a mother playing house with her daughter,
pretending a perfect life,
and forgetting the world for just a moment

a mother dressing her daughter for her first day of school,
both full of excitement and nerves
for this new stage of life.

a mother sobbing inconsolably, holding her daughter's dolls.
a life is gone before it began,
and the pain is irreversible.

a heartbroken woman praying to a god
she never believed in,
trying to change her life.

a new woman dressing for church,
a smile on her face as she worships;
she has found peace.

Thu May 04, 2023 5:39 pm
AmayaStatham wrote a review...

Hey there @momonster ,

🍨 I'm here to deliver you your Ice cream, as you requested! 🍨

I have to mention that I'm not a professional yet and I'm just starting out. So please understand if this doesn't fulfil all your wishes.

First of all: This poem really touches my heart. With ordinary words you have captured a deep and powerful emotion, highlighting the happiness and struggles of the human life. It's very nicely written and I can sense that you have really put some thought in it before writing this poem.

Your message, is effective that life is a series of ups and downs, and that our emotions are an integral part of the journey.

a toddler taking her first steps,
carefully stumbling,
her parents cheering her on.

Your poem begins with a toddles taking her first steps, which is a moment of innocence that is captured wonderfully in the part of her stumbling while her parents cheer her on.

hoping she doesn't get caught.
full of innocence and wonder.

This part of the young girl playing with her mother's makeup and hoping she doesn't get caught is very relatable for every young girl I think. You've got that part quite right. It talks about the curiosity of childhood. This stanza captures an amazing moment that many readers will be able to relate too.

a teenager crying, hating her body,
wishing anything she was anything
than what she is.

a teenager sitting on her bed,
she is numb, and her eyes see nothing.

This part deals with body image issues, anorexia and emotional stress. It conveys the pain and isolation that can come with these experiences and the numbness that the girl feels which holds a lot of emotion in it. Your use of language is very simple but effective, it also conveys the rawness of these emotions and makes readers able to create vivid images for themself.

and the life to come.

This stanza deals about the young woman looking at her pregnant belly which is powerful and touching. The feeling of fear that comes with bringing a child into the world are vividly portrayed, making this stanza very relatable and hit deep.

her whole life has changed,
and she doesn't know what to do.

pretending a perfect life,
and forgetting the world for just a moment.

both full of excitement and nerves
for this new stage of life.

These stanza's are about motherhood and are really touching. The image of a mother nursing her baby while tears run down her face is both a sweet and sad moment, grabbing the overwhelming emotions that come with becoming a parent. The stanza of the mother playing house with her daughter is a touchy moment of connection while the other one about her dressing her daughter for her first day of school is full of enthousiasm and excitement.

a life is gone before it began,
and the pain is irreversible.

This stanza talks about a mother who lost her daughter, a life gone before it began is just the best way possible to talk about element. The little girl lost her life in a very cruel way and the pain is unbearable for the mother. This part covers rare but deep growing emotion.

a heartbroken woman praying to a god
she never believed in,
trying to change her life.

This stanza deals about a heartbroken woman praying to god because she never believed in a powerful moment of desperation and pain. This part effectively conveys the intensity of her emotions, making it a visceral and emotional moment.

a new woman dressing for church,
a smile on her face as she worships;
she has found peace.

The final stanza, where the mother has found peace and is smiling as she worships the lord, is a hopeful and uplifting moment. It brings the poem in a full circle, ending on a positive note that conveys the resilience and strength of the human spirit.

Overall, your poem is a powerful and moving exploration of a broken life. The use of vivid imagery and simple language effectively emphazices the emotions and experiences of each moment, making it relatable and emotional for the reader. The poem effectively communicates its message that life is a series of highs and lows, but that there is always hope and possibility for growth and change.

I hope my review was helpful. Keep writing! Have a nice day/night!

- Rinisha

momonster says...

thank you so much! i'm glad you enjoyed reading :)

WinnyWriter wrote a review...

Hey, there! I started this poem with a bit of a reminder of one I have written concerning a mirror, but this one does take a different route than mine, which is supposed to happen because all authors are different. :) Anyway, allow me a few comments.

I found the whole things easy to read, which always earns it positive points for me. Each stanza is clear and concise, and each one distinctly shows a different life phase, which is interesting. I noticed that there are no actual mirrors or reflections mentioned throughout the poem, but since it has the title it does, it provides for the reader to think of the poem as a whole in the context of what the girl/young woman might be seeing in her mirror throughout her life. However, I would say that titling a poem with an object or concept that doesn't explicitly show up in the body of the poem is a two-way street. It can either work really well or it can flop. When done right, it can give a nice sense of a cohesive theme. Still, one has to use it carefully so the reader doesn't end up wondering what in the world is going on. So there's just an observation to take or leave as you might find it applies.

I appreciate how the end brings us to a better point than where we might've thought we were going. I kind of expected it to come back around in a sort of circle to showing the little daughter as a sort of copy of who we see in the opening lines. But I think the way you took it is much better. While there is a place for showing the tragedies of life, it's also important to have written works that tell us of better endings and new hope. I definitely appreciate that, as well as the implication that no one has gotten too messed up to find peace in God.

Well, that's all for now. Keep up the good work!

momonster says...

thank you so much for your wonderful review!my original inspo for writing this poem was seeing how your reflection changed, but i got really into it while writing and forgot to bring that imagery into it more. i'm so glad you enjoyed reading! <3

The author of my life has some ambitious ideas for me to become a super villain
— FireEyes