When the dragons ruled

by momonster

Sit 'round, my children,

Sit down and I will tell.

Tell a tale of long ago

The time when dragons ruled.

'Twas a time of much hardship

When the dragons ruled.

The people were enslaved to them,

and they were given no time to rest.

Finally, a little girl,

of youth and golden hair

stood up one day to the dragons

and here is what she said,

"You monsters! You beasts!

You work us all to death.

You do not care what

challenges we face.

As long as it means

you don't have to lift a claw,

you'll be happy in your golden caves

of treasure and delight."

Now the dragons, as I'm sure you've guessed,

blew fire in the air.

In their rage they roared to their queen

for the youth's golden head.

The queen, in her founts of justice,

demanded for a trial.

To see, fair and just,

if the girl deserved death.

The girl was brought to the queen,

and marveled in awe,

at the queen's beauty,

for she was the fairest of them all.

Her scales could be any color she wanted,

and the same for her deadly fire.

Her eyes were of piercing blue

and her claws were instant death.

The little girl, in shock and awe,

fell to the ground in worship.

The queen was flattered,

for no human had done this thing before.

The queen proceeded with the trial

still in shock and gaping jaw.

Her attendants had to remind her that she was queen

so she'd close her open mouth.

After a grueling trial of seven days and nights,

the little girl was released,

proven she had done no wrong.

But when she returned to her home...

She found a huge surprise!

Her family and friends,

and everyone else,

had been freed from captivity.

The queen, in her mighty fount of mercy,

had been moved by the young girl's story.

She had admitted the humans had been captives for too long,

and set all of them free.

There you have it children,

a tale ten decades old.

But beware, and be so careful,

the dragons still roam and rule....

Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:42 pm
creaturefeature wrote a review...

Ah I am quite sick today, but I'll try to get in some reviews - I'm not doing the whole "positives/suggestions" thing I did in the rest of the reviews, so I'm really sorry if this is all over the place and shorter than my normal reviews.

So first thing is "Sit 'round, my children, / Sit down and I will tell." I like the narration feeling happening, and it's setting a big example for the rest of the poem to be an legendary story about something fantasy themed (dragons I assume because of the title.) Expectations are high, everything is delivered because it is a poem about dragons and fantasy, so all is good on that aspect of the storytelling methods and language choices used.

The storytelling is slightly awkward at times though; when informing someone about a thing that has happened in history or in fiction, all details must be present to immerse them into the time and location. If small details are missing from the narrating, the whole point of creating or restating the tale is lost - like with "The people were enslaved to them, / and they were given no time to rest" because there isn't much on before that happened.

(And having no time to rest is not the worst part of being enslaved. There is a lack of respect for the enslaved person's work and wellbeing, an overlook of any issues they might have with the surroundings and jobs, and a very clear power imbalance between those involved.)

Now, I enjoy the idea of the lines "Finally, a little girl / of youth and golden hair / stood up one day to the dragons" because in settings like this, little girls rarely have any appearances. Although, I am very sure a little girl would be too afraid of the dragons to do that, and parents would be rather angry too. It's a big plot convenience for the narrator figure to continue the tale on though, so it works for the narrative being created, I suppose.

I also feel the same way about "The queen, in her mighty fount of mercy, / had been moved by the young girl's story" due to most monarchs actually being terribly cruel people. A small child will not change anything, and even a village of adults wouldn't change anything. Once again, it is an important plot convenience to wrap up the epic tale. Considering that, everything is working well with the narrative choices that happened beforehand.

My general first thoughts when reading were "dragons make me go :O" and that still describes how I am feeling about everything right now.

Cheers! <3

momonster says...

Thanks! This, again, wasn't one of the best poem I've written, so your feedback is greatly appreciated! Cheers <3

Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:12 pm
SpiderFingers wrote a review...

Great job at crafting this poem! I love the format. How it's being told - by a narrator to a group of children - definitely gives it a great legend/storytelling feeling. The imagery is immersive and the characters within the poem (especially the "little girl of youth and golden hair" along with the dragon queen) were all well written. Lessons in the poem, consisting of bravery and mercy, leave the reader with an important message to think about.

Nice work!

~Spider~

momonster says...

rida says...

Hi! I really liked the poem, and especially the way it’s ended, but I think that in the second last line, you can cut out the word ‘so’ , it’s totally unnecessary. Other then that I find no other mistakes and I’m sure that others have already cleared out all the other mistakes I have missed out

momonster says...

thanks for the review!

Buranko wrote a review...

Hi there fellow writer!
Lovely poem you wrote here, isn't it ? I love the vibrant images that roam freely through your lines "golden head" "piercing blue". Also the way the poem flows makes me think it's a narrative work not a poem, resembles a fable to a certain point. You could call it a ballad but meh, I dont really think that this is the literary genre it belongs to. Nevertheless it's still gorgeous.
The way you portrayed the characters is so nice. From the initial description I thought all dragons are fierce beasts only causing pain for the human kind, prideful creatures that wouldn't forgive a small child that expressed her point of view. I expected the queen to belong in that kind of behaviour as well. However, you gave me a pleasant surprise and made me realise how wise and merciful the dragon queen really is.
I find a hidden meaning in here, and that is that with proper etiquette and actions you can manipulate anything to be in your favour.
Great work !

momonster says...

thanks for the review!

LittleLee wrote a review...

Hello, Momo!

Wow, this is an interesting poem. Or should i say ballad?

I liked the entire poem. Plot wise there wasn't really anything missing, and both beginning and ending were satisfying. But allow me to nitpick a little.

Sit down and I will tell.

I read the fullstop as a comma, then realised what it was and didn't like the lines nearly as much. The fullstop jars the reader, snapping a sentence in two.

Sit 'round, my children,

Sit down and I will tell.

Tell a tale of long ago

The time when dragons ruled.

'Twas a time of much hardship

When the dragons ruled.

With these lines, there's a certain beat. A very enjoyable one, at that. I was hoping the rest of the poem would have a similar beat, but that isn't the case. In my opinion, a ballad especially requires some kind of rhythm to its lines or it falls quite flat. This felt far too much like a vague story than am "epic" telling of a young heroine. So, maybe you could rework the lines a little, and try to insert a meter?

You work us all to death.

The girl says this - all well and good - but then goes on to say, "you'll be happy in your golden caves." So why are the humans working at all? What do the dragons even make them do, when they only care for wealth? I'm assuming the humans mine gold or something, but that information should be coming from you, not from within myself.

blew fire in the air.

for the youth's golden head.

...even for dragons, that seems very unreasonable. Especially considering tht the queen is quick to spare the humans afterwards.

The queen, in her founts of justice,

demanded for a trial.

You don't demand for something, you just demand something.
Sheesh, that sucks as an explanation. My point is, remove the "for." It shouldn't be used here.

and marveled in awe,

at the queen's beauty

I'm not sure if it's spelled the same way wherever you're from, but I think there should be two "L"s in "marvelled."
And since this is one sentence, the comma is not meant to be here.

The queen was flattered,

The queen proceeded with the trial

still in shock and gaping jaw.

My least favourite part. Flattered does not imply shock. Flattery dos not usually lead to people gaping in such a way. And being the queen of the dragons, shouldn't she be used to this kind of behaviour?

But when she returned to her home...

She found a huge surprise!

Her family and friends,

and everyone else,

had been freed from captivity.

Loved this surprise. :D

I also like how the queen had a fount of justice and then a fount of mercy. It's a rather nice image. Well done.

the dragons still roam and rule....

*hides*

Well, that's it! I found this poem very cute and enjoyable, with a particularly pleasant ending, so you get points for that! Also, it's just a nice telling. :)

I'm sorry if I was too critical; just trying to help! Feel free to disregard anything you found unhelpful.

- Lee

momonster says...

thanks for the review!

i love me some swole chickens
— yosh