The Adventures of Rose Hood Chapter 22: Negotiations and New Truths

by keeperofgaming

Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for violence.

“Save the nation...”

Dallel nodded, his head still aimed at the ground.

“By killing our father?!”

“You don’t know what he did!”

Dallel yelled. For as long as both me and Royce had known him, neither of us heard him yell like that. Even Doleaira was shaken by that.

“Dallel, what did the former king do.”

“Attempt to summon a demon king.”

Everyone froze. A demon king. Wouldn’t that destroy the entire country?

“You’d need way to many sacrifices to do that. There's no way he could’ve done it.”

“El- King Elren, please remember the time that the messenger came to tell everyone the king was killed by me.”

He blanched.

“The moonlight festival.”

“The moonlight festival?”

“Once every hundred years, the moon is in perfect alignment with the sun to shine the most light on the capital. All elves gather in the capital for a massive festival.”

“In other words...”

“It’s the perfect time for a demonic summoning.”

“Father, he tried to use the whole kingdom as sacrifices?”

“Yes...”

Something didn’t work though.

“Why didn’t you tell anyone?”

“The contr-”

“Don’t lie, I saw the contract, it didn’t mention that you couldn’t explain, only that you’d take the blame.”

“I...”

“You wanted everyone to remember him as a good king, didn’t you.”

“Yes, I only discovered it due to the contract. It led me to a hidden passageway that led to a massive ritual circle. Father was in the middle, speaking dark magic. I could sense the evil halfway through the passage.”

“Why would he do that?”

“I... I don’t know.”

“Something doesn’t feel right.”

“Rose?”

“Dallel, without invoking magic, could you tell me exactly what the king said?”

“I can.”

He began speaking the words. Everyone was confused except me. It was then that I understood the weight of sin that Dallel kept hidden.

“Dallel, you have no idea what that meant.”

“Wait, was he inn-”

“No. It was far worse than you thought. Please tell me you destroyed the circle.”

“Of course, I did.”

“Thank goodness. He wasn’t summoning a Demon king.”

“Then what-”

“He was summoning a shard of evil.”

They all looked at me confused. No one except scholars knew what a shard of evil is, so I shouldn’t be surprised.

“Have you ever heard the legend of the evil god?”

“Of course, she was killed, however.”

“Gods don’t die.”

“Then what-”

“She was shattered into 10 shards. Each one was formed as a godly threat monster.”

“So, he... he tried to summon a godly level evil?”

“Yes.”

“How do you know of this?”

“Unlike the rest of our siblings, I used Mother’s library to read a lot.”

“So, it was good that I killed him?”

“Yes. A thousand times yes. If he finished the incantation, the nations surrounding Calesen would also be turned into a wasteland.”

“Godlies are that strong?”

“Yes.”

“Then that makes our negotiations that much more urgent.”

“Sir Royce, what do you mean?”

“King Elren, Rose fought two whilders and determined that they had been organized.

“Okay?”

“They were both mythics, but Rose said they acted like grunts.”

“Wait...”

“We think one of the Whilders is a godly.”

_

“A godly? That’s insane.”

“Not when you consider that one of them was as strong as a high mythic.”

“A high mythic? Even dragons are only midlevel mythics.”

“It took me and an S ranker to kill it.”

“The fact that an S rank would try to work with you at all is impressive. I’m assuming you were in dragon form.”

“Yes, and what makes it worse is that it was the strongest adventurer, Asura. And we still barely won with decent injuries.”

“And you think that was a grunt.”

“Yes.”

“I can see why the king of Selethon would want aid.”

“So, what do you think?”

“Hmm. I can’t send many, but I will send what I can.”

“Why can’t you send many?”

“Because we are in a war with Falden.”

Falden was an international trade center, as far as I had known, they were friends with Calesen, but apparently not anymore.

“What happened to the trade?”

“They learnt I was a dragon.”

“And they cut trade over that?”

“They said that they wouldn’t negotiate with beasts and declared war only yesterday.”

“That’s not good.”

“I agree, and Whilders will most certainly make it harder. The biggest concern for me is how they evolved in the first place. It makes no sense.”

“What do you mean?”

“The Whilder’s strongest in the past was a legendary, yet now we suspect a Godly? That doesn’t just happen.”

“You have a point.”

“Falden, Selethon, and Calesen are the three kingdoms that border the forest.”

“You think Falden gave foul play?”

“Perhaps, they disliked both nations for a long time, they only accepted us due to the good trades we gave. I think they were looking for a way to cut ties for a long time.”

“And now that you are revealed as a dragon, and the king is making a deal with you.”

“They could easily both cut ties and declare both nations as enemies of both humans and demi-humans.”

“But why evolve the Whilders?”

“Simple, by evolving them, they could subjugate them and command them to cause strife to force an agreement. My being a dragon just brings the icing onto the cake.”

Royce was a bit confused.

“How would evolving a Whilderbeast give them control?”

I took the explanation.

“Think of it like a draconic contract, the master can command anything, but they still need to give something in return to get it, unless the dragon makes the contract on their own.”

“Okay?”

“If they offered evolution in return for a contract, then that would both give them control and evolve the Whilders.”

“That makes sense.”

We realized our situation with grim expressions, so of course Thalia came in and failed to read the room.

“Ah, Rose, two men? Wow. Are you building a harem?”

“Elren?”

“Yes, Rose?”

“It’s time we become the 8.”

I stand up.

“Wait, ROSE?!”

Thalia started running.

“AAHH!”

“GET BACK HERE!!”

Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:43 pm

Hello there, human! I'm reviewing using the YWS S'more Method today!

Shalt we commence with the review?

Top Graham Cracker - A godly could be coming, demons might be around, and only Rose and her adventurers are there to combat the forces.

Slightly Burnt Marshmallow - No recommendations as if right now!

Chocolate Bar - I love how the fact that Dallel killed the King went from a bad action to a good action. Dallel saved the Kingdom from becoming sacrifices and dealing with demons, he saved the lives of entire nations!

Closing Graham Cracker - Rose will still have to venture out and fight, there will be many challenges and setbacks on the way…

I wish you a fabulous day/night! ^v^

Animist1 wrote a review...

Hello hi, i am anew member of YWS, i could have done this a long time ago but i had no account. How could a king that they loved and trusted try to use them all for a demonic contract. If the dragons are all together i think they would have won any war coming thier way. What about the other dragons, do they have children to increase the dragon race. Great story keep it up.

RavenAkuma wrote a review...

Hello Again, My Friend!

It's me, Raven, and I'd like to review the next chapter in this great story using my Familiar method! Let's dive in, shall we? Heh heh heh...

What The Black Eyes See...

Whelp, that answered a lot of questions, and gave us plenty of shocking revelations! Learning about Dallel's crime, which became a bridge to the issue at hand; the Whilders, the warring nation, the idea of contract, and most interesting to me was the idea of the evil god and ten shards. Let's get into the details though.

Where The Dagger Points...

No recommendations for content! Descriptions were great; I understood what was being relayed, and especially since the pieces of information tied into each other, it all came together nicely. There was just one recommendation I wanted to make in good spirit:

the nation's surrounding Calesen would also be turned into a wasteland.”

I don't think "nations" here needs an apostrophe, but of course, this is a very minor thing. Great writing job ~

Why The Grin Widened...

Despite the shorter length of this chapter, where was still plenty to learn and enjoy, each point answering a big question from the last chapter, and/or building anticipation with more information on a godly-level evil. It really sounds like an obscure legend, perhaps due to how old it could be, and for that it makes sense why only Rose -a bookworm and a dragon- would recognize it. So, points for consistency ~

I love the explanation of the last king's goal:

Ah, the idea of weaponizing your own kingdom's festival to make so many sacrifices, and summon a demonic or godly-level evil -chills! That's so wicked but an awesome point for an antagonistic character! And it definitely sets a justification for Dallel's crime, hopefully clearing his name in the kingdom (or at least among this inner circle).

Following that, the revelation of what he was actually trying to summon...

That's such a cool concept to have added to this story! Just the idea that one of these shards may be disturbed -and by who- already has me eager to see what's ahead ~

And finally, Rose chasing Thalia...

“AAHH!”

“GET BACK HERE!!”

Definitely felt like a pesky sibling moment, it made me laugh to myself, haha.

Our Mad Thoughts...

Overall, great bit of exposition for what has and has yet to come, nicely done! :D

sometimes i don't consider myself a poet but then i remember that i literally write poetry
— chikara