The Adventures of Rose Hood Chapter 51: The Earth Dragon

by keeperofgaming

Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for violence.

“You may enter.”

I entered the hall and saw my brother, Onyx on the throne.

“Hello.”

“Rose.”

Upon hearing that name all of the guards drew their weapons.

“At ease men. I can handle her.”

He looked at me and stood up.

“So, have you come to kill me?”

“No, I actually came to ask for aid.”

“A shard of the evil god asking for aid. That’s almost laughable how obvious of a lie that it is.”

“I am not a shard of the evil god.”

“I know what you are, Rose. You can’t deny it.”

“I don’t mean I never was, but I was purified.”

“If you were you’d be dead. Pure evil can’t be purified like that.”

I smiled.

“I am not pure evil.”

“Oh, please, I’ve done research, Innocence. I’m not falling for any of your tricks.”

“My name isn’t Innocence.”

“Do you really believe I should call you by that name the foolish wolf gave you.”

“Not what I mean. I’m no longer the Core Lie, Innocence.”

“I don’t believe you.”

“I am the Core Truth, Purity.”

“I won’t fall for your lies like Gerard. Besides he is helping you, that is betraying me, so I brought him in.”

Gerard was dragged in by the same catkin that attempted to collar me yesterday.

“While I am thankful that you did not kill my guard captain, I will still have to kill you.”

“I do not wish to fight.”

“I don’t care.”

He struck at me, but I dodged. He continued to strike, but his attacks only cut air.

“ASPECT OF THE EARTH DRAGON!!!”

He powered up and charged me. He was still too slow.

‘Can I fight him?’

‘No, I will handle him.’

‘Alright.’

I dodged, then he got an idea. He caused an earthquake and grabbed me while I was off balance.

“Got you.”

“Smart, but I’m done with this.”

He leapt back, expecting an attack, but what I did instead caused him to drop his weapon.

My aura was unleased at full power. The rightness of it caused all of his guards to drop their weapons. Vines grew on the walls and my presence exhibited royalty. Gerard looked in awe at the raw nature that I only showed a small, diluted piece of to him.

Onyx fell back and looked at me in awe.

“What is this?”

“As I said, I am not the Core Lie, nor am I the evil god. I am the shard of the good god. Core Truth, Purity, and I have come to ask for aid against the last 5 shards of evil attempting to destroy Selethon. Now I ask you, not as a god-”

I smothered the overwhelming aura and looked at him with a soft smile.

“-but as a sister. Please help me protect the nation I call home.”

I bowed deeply, showing respect as I could.

He looked at me, but this time it was with respect.

“I see the error of my attitude, I will consider sending aid, please forgive me for my transgression.”

“You made no mistake, under normal circumstances I would be a threat, you had no way of knowing this development.”

“Thank you, Gerard I must apologize for doubting you, your intuition was always better than mine.”

“You are fine, your majesty. I understand your concern and know that I should communicate with you better on what I find.”

“Thank you for understanding. Rose, Gerard, you are dismissed.”

We both bowed and went to leave.

“And Rose, I suppose I should stop the wanted dead posters.”

“Thank you, Onyx.”

“No problem.”

As Dalis thought, even someone wholly devoted to killing me would give in upon seeing my nature. Each of my siblings were told to kill me before I could mature, so now that I am matured, they will hunt me, and if the other gods join them, there could be a massive war.

I left the palace and wandered the streets when I felt a presence following me.

‘Gerard.’

‘Rose? What-’

‘No time, could you give me a request that would have me leave the town for a bit.’

‘Sure?’

“Hey Rose, before you go, could you please go check up on a goblin camp outside of town. I know that normally an S rank wouldn’t, but it’s been causing a lot of trouble.”

“Sure, I can.”

_

I wandered out of town and the presence of whatever it was didn’t leave, so I could confirm that it was following me. As I wandered, I found the camp and stood out of sight.

“I know you are here.”

A man walked out, but it was no human.

“Celios, god of the sky.”

“You do remember, Kala.”

“It’s Rose, not Kala.”

“Right, that foolish wolf named a god.”

“He isn’t foolish.”

“He most certainly is, naming a dragon is foolish enough, but a god is another matter, especially a fallen one.”

“What do you want?”

“So hostile, I thought you’d love to see your family after this long.”

“I have not forgotten.”

“Well, then you know I cannot let you remerge.”

“You can’t do anything.”

“Perhaps, and I’m not dumb enough to take you on so close to a city. At least, one that will last to the next month.”

That got me mad.

“Listen here-”

He was already gone.

I took out my anger on the goblin camp.

I came back to town, emanating an angry aura. I entered the guild hall and Gerard went up to me.

“What was that about?”

“Someone strong enough to defeat me issued a death threat.”

“I see...”

Everyone had learnt that I was the same Rose that they were supposed to keep an eye out for, and everyone in this nation knew my nature, so having me say that someone stronger than me wanted me dead was a terrifying idea.

“Was it one of the other shards?”

A random adventurer asked.

“It was someone far stronger than a mere shard.”

They blanched. Only gods were stronger than shards. There was great concern if one was willing to kill me.

“Why would a god come after you?”

“Because I’m telling people of their sin.”

The nation heard of it from my brother after I explained it to him. As Lust used to run a major cult around here, having her appear as Piety helped my case.

He agreed to send a sizeable force to aid in the battle.

After saying my goodbyes and my brother releasing word that no one outside of the nation should know my identity, I flew off, heading to the next nation.

RavenAkuma wrote a review...

Hello Again, My Friend!

It's me, Raven, and I'd like to review the next chapter in this great story using my Familiar method! Let's dive in, shall we? Heh heh heh...

What The Black Eyes See...

Ah, we finally get to see Onyx the Earth Dragon! I loved his character and how different his character felt from Rose, Thalia, and Elren. Then, we got hit with yet another big surprise, with Celios and a chilling revelation about his involvement from Rose! Let's get into the details though.

Where The Dagger Points...

Mainly, there was just one thing that I noticed:

My aura was unleased at full power.

I think there's a missing "h" in "unleashed" here. That's all, good writing job ~

Why The Grin Widened...

Ooo, I was really enjoying the tension between Onyx and Rose as the chapter first started. His refusal to believe Rose showed a certain amount of stubbornness that I haven't seen in a dragon yet, and by saying things like Rose's call for help being a lie, or calling Royce a "foolish wolf" for naming a dragon/god, I thought it also showed a certain level of disdain for humans and beastkin. Again, something I haven't seen in a dragon yet that had me interested.

The fight was cool too! Tbh, I kinda wish the conflict got dragged out a little longer, and maybe referencing their childhood and parents or something along the way, but I can understand why it would end so fast with Rose's incredible power.

Moving on, when Rose leaves the city for a while, we get introduced to another intriguing character...

“Celios, god of the sky.”

Another god?! Woah! And not only that, but a god familiar with Rose, at least by another name...

“It’s Rose, not Kala.”

Where did the name 'Kala' come from? Where does this god land in Rose's past?! Tbh, I feel like the name is familiar, so if this was referenced in a past chapter and I'm drawing a blank, sorry 'bout that...Either way, the idea of another god getting in Rose's way...Ooo, I wonder how this will go ~

And, as a side note...

“Why would a god come after you?”

That's an awesome motive and revelation!! Of course, because it was other gods that corrupted the original god in the first place -that makes perfect sense, and it immediately raises the stakes, because who knows how many gods are still around and willing to come after Rose?!

I wonder what awaits in the next nation...

Our Mad Thoughts...

Overall, that was an awesome chapter, nicely done! :D

Sat Jun 15, 2024 2:11 pm

Hello there, human! I'm reviewing using the YWS S'more Method today!

Shalt we commence with the possessed S’more?

Top Graham Cracker - After much convincing, Rose was able to get Onyx on her side. However, Celios, the God of the sky, has come to fight Rose, and the very fate of the world holds in her hands.

Slightly Burnt Marshmallow - I think that you meant to put in a question mark for when Rose asks Gerard to send a request in, but that’s just one little thing.

Chocolate Bar - I like that now Rose may have met her match with Celios, another God. She’s a done a number on her enemies, and I’m hope that she’ll be able to hold him off, but one can never be too sure. I have a feeling that we might be reaching the end soon…

Closing Graham Cracker - Rose has gained the support of Onyx, but there’s the looming threat of her other siblings and the other Gods coming to kill her. She’s got to watch out, or else the end wouldn’t be too savory…

I wish you a lovely day/night! ^v^

“All stories are true," Skarpi said. "But this one really happened, if that's what you mean.”
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind