z

Young Writers Society


16+ Violence

The Adventures of Rose Hood Chapter 26: The Shard and the King

by keeperofgaming


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for violence.

These beasts. I’ll kill them all. That one. That’s the godly. I’ll eat it and... wait, what?

“Consume.”

What?

“Eat.”

Why?

“I am you and you are me.”

Who are you?

“Evil.”

What?

“We were sealed.”

I matured. My memories... all of them. I am a shard of evil. Why would I do those things?

“We are a beast. Let’s destroy.”

No.

No.

“Royce was killed by them.”

I already destroyed Falden.

“Then finish the job.”

“No.”

A new voice. No. That was mine.

“Obey me.”

“No.”

“Destroy!”

“NO!”

“I am-”

“Good!”

The voice raged against me, but I was no longer interested in it. Royce was standing, alive.

The Whilder shouted at me. It charged at Royce. I tackled it.

“Grouw?”

It was not expecting my power. It fell before getting up and roaring at me.

Two godly beasts roared and shouted.

“Run Whilder King. I will kill you otherwise.”

“Foolish dragon, you are too young. We are equals in raw power, but when it comes to skill I exceed you, greatly.”

“Obey...”

“What?”

“Obey my will and flee.”

“What are you, little dragon?”

“Obey my will and flee.”

“Very well. I shall spare you this time.”

The Whilder King began to leave, and I heard the beings behind me cheer. But my siblings looked at me with fear.

I shifted into my catkin form. It looked the exact same despite my maturing.

The people were cheering, but they didn’t know what they cheered for. I could only hope I wouldn’t kill them in the end.

I walked up to my siblings. They looked at me, fear emanating from their bodies.

“I remember now, but don’t fear.”

I walked past them, but they stayed frozen.

Royce and Dallel stood, they had no fear, but only concern.

“Are you okay, Rose?”

“I’m fine, that took a lot out of me though.”

“At least you are okay.”

“Yeah... at... least... I... am-”

“Rose!”

_

Rose collapsed. Royce caught her. The adventurers were now all aware that she was a dragon, but that last part. Her true self. That was something no one could ever know.

Despite being a shard of evil, she still looked so young and kind.

Only I heard the words she whispered to her siblings.

Her bindings were gone, she could’ve killed all of us, but she didn’t. Could it be because of her being raised as a dragon?

All I understood was that she was a threat bigger than anything I’ve ever seen, but I can’t hurt her. I don’t think I could bring myself too.

I hoped she would still have her pacifist mentality. Not wanting to kill as many as she could.

Her power was evil. Pure evil. We needed to be careful not to anger her, but in that moment, she was so young looking. Almost as though she was a kid.

“Looking at her, I can’t find the dragon who just killed over 100000 people alone.”

Asura was correct, there was no sign of evil. No sign of violence, just a sleeping girl. So kind that she managed to make me and Royce like her.

“We should take her to her inn room.”

We nodded. Elren picked her up from Royce and carried her with a seeming kindness that he’d never shown to anyone else, including me and the other elves. He knew her nature and was scared by it, but he still showed great love for her. Thalia was the same, her expression showed a form of love that could only be shown between siblings. Despite knowing... they loved her.

Elren carried Rose into the city and Thalia guided him to the inn.

The elves had never seen their king show such kindness, so they looked shocked. They were used to either the playful king, or the demanding father who loved fighting. Never as the helpful older brother. And frankly, seeing him like that scared me too.

_

I woke up. I sensed Elren nearby me and Thalia right over me.

“What happened?”

“What do you remember?”

“I know... what do I know?”

I just felt tired. I knew that I had matured, yet I don’t remember anything that happened to achieve it.

“Who did I kill?”

“The entirety of the Falden army.”

“I see.”

“Everyone now knows that you are a dragon.”

“I see... Thalia, am I forgetting something important?”

She froze for a moment before lying.

“No. Not at all.”

She knew I knew she was lying, but I didn’t push it.

“Thalia?”

“Yes?”

“I can’t move.”

“You just took on a godly Whilder and an entire army of mythics. You are exhausted.”

“We lost a lot of people, but because of your efforts, we won.”

Then I remembered the last thing I remembered before waking up.

“Royce, is he okay?”

“Yes, I managed to heal him, but you became bloodlusted by his pain and your failure to heal him.”

“Thank goodness.”

I decided to check my stats. Some surprised me. I now fully understand why they didn’t tell me.

------------------------------------------

Rose Hood/ Nickname: Innocence

HP: 609403/137000000

MP: 26438/9000000

SP: 15/1000000

LV: 32

Race: Mature Arcane Dragon (Catkin form)

Age: 133

Skills:

Fire Divination: MAX

Water Divination: 9

Earth Divination: MAX

Wind Divination: MAX

Arcane Divination: 8

Draconic Shift: MAX

Inquisitive mind: 9

Oblivion: 5

Death’s Blow: 5

Elemental Breath: MAX

Immortal Scales: 3

Immortal’s Regeneration: 6

Sword King: 7

Archmage: 3

Siphoner: 1

Dominion: 2

God’s Wrath: 1

God Form: 1

Evil Domination: 2

Indomitable

Contract Breaker

Title:

Dragon of Arcane

Godly Beast

Slayer of Legends

Army Crusher [NEW]

Whilder Slayer [NEW]

Queen of Evil [NEW]

Shard of the Evil God

Hidden Dominion

Queen of Beasts [NEW]

-----------------------------------

“I’m a shard?”

They flinched, so that is what they tried to hide from me. I understand entirely.

“Eh, I’m too tired to do anything, don’t worry.”

“You... aren’t mad we tried to hide it?”

“No, I’m fully aware of why you did it. I’m assuming I was bound by Mother?”

“Yes, they would break when you mature.”

“Though, what’s with this Queen of Beasts title?”

“I think it’s because you managed to command the Whilder King.”

“That would make sense.”

I stood up.

“I’m going to walk around.”

“Yeah, just please don’t tell anyone about that. Royce and Dallel know because we thought you’d destroy all of us.”

“I see. Well, it seems the time I spent in the nest gave me actual empathy. Plus, I don’t remember anything about being a shard, so, for now at least, I should be safe.”

They sighed in relief.

“Above all, you are still our sister, we will stand by you.”

“Thanks.”

I left my room and walked through the streets. Multiple adventurers nodded at me. I learnt a bit, my identity as a dragon was still not widely known, and the adventurers that were present during the fight were to act like I was a national secret. Mammon enforced this.

Asura walked up to me and smiled.

“So, how are you fairing after that fight?”

“Tired.”

“Oh, and don’t think I didn’t notice that blast of evil. I think I can trust you for now but act carefully. Control that evil power or other S ranks will try to bring you down.”

“Thanks.”

“Honestly, I don’t know much. All I know is that Elren knows about it. The moment you evolved he seemed to wilt in fear. Thalia even snapped right out of her bloodlust upon your maturing. That was before the wave of evil. So, whatever it is that they know that caused two mature dragons to wilt in fear, I think you should keep it a secret.”

“I just learned of it, but I agree.”

“Besides, I can’t bring you down yet, I need to get a lot stronger.”

“Hm, what level are you?”

“87.”

“32.”

“Wait, what level were you our first fight?”

“5.”

“...”

“Asura?”

“HA HA HA! AS EXPECTED OF MY RIVAL! EVEN AT A LOW LEVEL YOU ARE STILL A MATCH FOR ME!!”

“And you are still too loud.”

“Ha. Sorry. Tell ya what. Let me treat you to a drink.”

“Why?”

“You destroyed the entire army of Falden and routed a godly Whilderbeast. If you don’t deserve a drink, then the city doesn’t deserve anything.”

“I guess.”

“Do you actually remember anything?”

“Nothing after I failed to heal Royce.”

“Ah, that makes sense. You were bloodlusted. Heck, I don’t think I would have stood a chance against you then. Makes me wonder how Saliad managed to push you so far.”

“I overestimated him greatly and played with too much caution. In addition, I didn’t want to break the city.”

“That makes sense, I guess. You know, I have no clue how dragons gained a reputation as simple beasts.”

“We are beasts, we just have full consciousnesses as well.”

“Huh. Don’t things like goblins have those though?”

“There is a difference. Dragons are capable of empathy and caring for one another. Whilders also have high intelligence, but as you probably saw, the Whilders couldn’t care less about their fallen comrades.”

“I see, though, I am still confused why he ran.”

“What do you mean?”

“Well, you looked him dead in the eyes for 10 minutes and then he suddenly just left.”

“Huh, odd.”

“Yeah. Welp, we are here, time for that drink I promised.”

We went in and cheers erupted from the adventurers.

“So, a dragon? I guess that explains that obsession with meat.”

“I heard it was treated like a national secret.”

“Well, it’s hard to keep quiet when you crash through the bar, crush an employee, and then save our lives.”

“Oh... that did happen.”

“Did you forget?”

“Most of the fight is a blur in my mind.”

“I guess that makes sense, though when they said the pacifist Rose just ate the entire Falden army, I was a bit shocked.”

“Bloodlust is a horrible state.”

“I can imagine, heck some are saying that you scared off a godly Whilder.”

That brushed my suspicions. Only dragons and beings like them called them Whilders. The rest called them Whilderbeasts.

“So, are you a human? Or something else.”

“Hey Rose, that’s surprisingly prying.”

Asura seemed concerned, but the bartender merely laughed.

“I guess I couldn’t keep it hidden forever. How’d you figure it out?”

“Only dragons or other mythic beasts call them Whilders. Everyone else calls them Whilderbeasts.”

“Ah, well I’m a demon king.”

The guild went silent except for me.

“So, who summoned you?”

“No one, I simply appeared in this world, but unlike those peers of mine, I have no interest in destruction. I’m a black sheep in that respect. Not unlike you, actually.”

“Fun.”

“I contracted myself to Mammon so he wouldn’t try to kill me.”

“Ah, I see. Is that why I can’t sense any evil on you?”

“Yes, after all demon is a race like any other, we just tend to be bound to evil, not unlike dragons being bound to elemental magic.”

“Interesting.”

Then he spoke directly to my mind.

‘And don’t think I failed to notice, mistress. It’s been a long time since I’ve spoken to a shard. Don’t worry, I won’t tell anyone, just know I will support you unless Mammon orders me otherwise.’

‘Thank you.’

‘No, thank you for gracing me with your presence.’

Then out loud.

“Well, I guess I should extend some thanks to you for saving the city. Have a drink, on the house.”

Asura clearly sensed something was said between us, but he remained calm. It was clear he didn’t know what was said.

“So, you serve Mammon?”

“Yes, a demon’s contract is as binding as a dragon’s contract. Rose here can affirm how strong that is.”

“Yes, draconic contracts give full control to the master, so technically, Mammon could order his death and the demon would have no choice but to kill himself.”

“Yes, but my name is Alazath, but you can call me Zath.”

Asura clearly knew his name.

“The Gentle Demon?”

“I believe that’s one of my titles, yes.”

Zath brought me my drink, and I thanked him.

The guild slowly came back to life as the shock of the friendly barkeep being a demon king wore off.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
235 Reviews


Points: 41092
Reviews: 235

Donate
Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:13 pm
View Likes
RavenAkuma wrote a review...



Hello Again, My Friend!

(Word of warning, sorry if this review seems low energy compared to the usual, that's just me not the chapter lol). It's me, Raven, and I'd like to review the next chapter in this great story using my Familiar method! Let's dive in, shall we? Heh heh heh...

What The Black Eyes See...

That was great! The fight gets wrapped up in a very tense way, as does tha rampant shock and confusion from the characters, and it all leads to a calm moment of recollection with an unexpected twist. Let's get into the details though.

Where The Dagger Points...

I didn't find anything to put here today! Good writing job ~

Why The Grin Widened...

The way the chapter started with Rose arguing with her own psyche, or the repressed evil within it, was really cool and built up the atmosphere. Then, the way she tells the Whilder king off like nothing -knowing Falden is completely destroyed- made for a great end to this grizzly fight. And as Rose passes out, I liked seeing Dallel's perspective on the whole thing;

All I understood was that she was a threat bigger than anything I’ve ever seen, but I can’t hurt her. I don’t think I could bring myself too.


How sweet of him, as well as Elren and Thalia for standing by her even when this evil shard's been unchained. And when Rose wakes up to figure out what happened...

“Eh, I’m too tired to do anything, don’t worry.”


That made me laugh, and it seems like she's come to terms with the truth about herself. Though Ican't help but wonder if, when she recovers a bit more or is pushed on a mission again, that could change...

I loved reading about Asura in this chapter, his explosive remarks are always fun, and this was an unexpected twist in the bar:

“Ah, well I’m a demon king.”


“The Gentle Demon?”


Cool concept! I really loved the parallels that were drawn between demons being bound to evil, and dragons being bound to bestial nature. It makes me wonder if this demon will be able to use that similarity to help Rose if she runs into trouble. Oh, and also the telepathy was a nice touch ~

Our Mad Thoughts...

Overall, great chapter, nicely done! :D

Image






The review was good. You always give 120% its okay to use 100 sometimes.



User avatar
980 Reviews


Points: 148
Reviews: 980

Donate
Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:17 pm
View Likes
vampricone6783 wrote a review...



Hello there, human! I'm reviewing using the YWS S'more Method today!

Shalt we commence with the possessed S’more?

Top Graham Cracker - Rose fights off the evilness within her, she and Asura get a drink, the dragon secret is kept safe and sound.

Slightly Burnt Marshmallow - I think that this chapter is fine for now.

Chocolate Bar - I like that Thalia and Asura still care about Rose, even after she realized that she was a shard of evil. Being raised as a dragon sure did help Rose to care about those around her. Hopefully she stays that way…but who knows?

Closing Graham Cracker - Rose and Asura get a drink, they make a new friend named Zath, and the adventurers have agreed to keep her dragon form a secret. They’ve got more threats on the way, but they can do this.

I wish you a lovely day/night! ^v^






Well, Asura just recognized evil magic, he doesn't quite know she's a shard, and Thalia already knew.

But, thanks for the review



User avatar
10 Reviews


Points: 686
Reviews: 10

Donate
Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:17 pm
View Likes
Animist1 wrote a review...



My name is Animist1, i am here to drop a quick review, the story is awesome and i am happy to be the first person to review this amazing work. Rose stats has now increased than it was at the begining of the story, she is so strong she could wipe out an entire country. Anyone who want to relate with her should be careful on how he/she relates with Rose. And another intresting character is the gentle demon-Zath, no wonder he did not like killing. When i read the last episode, i tought her family and friends would abadon her because of her nature, but i am suprised by action, i was wrong about them. And i guess that the person who enslaved them may be planing a secret attack, if my guesses are right (sorry for spoiling the story) till the next episode. Quick notice: if i made any mistakes, pls notify me with a reply.






Hey, would you please be able to review the Prime Control, my other series?



Animist1 says...


No problem, just send me the link.








And thanks




Brain freezes are temporary, but milkshakes are forever.
— SilverNight