The Adventures of Rose Hood Chapter 13: The Dragon and the Rose

by keeperofgaming

Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for violence.

Mammon POV

A dragon, in the city? An elf hanging from its talons. We needed to kill it quickly.

The elf was severely injured too, what had the monster done to it?

I leapt up to crush its wing, I noticed a cursed arrow in its eyes, which meant that even my weapon could hurt it.

I met up with the king on the way, he had a furious expression.

“Your majesty, what happened? I saw it leave the castle. Is Rose okay?”

His gaze faltered for a moment.

“That beast killed Galswell.”

So, Rose must have been killed. That’s the only reason he wouldn’t say it.

“I see, we need to save the elf from it then.”

“No!”

“What?”

“That elf is a dragon too.”

“A shifted dragon?”

“Yes, we were going to kill it when the other dragon showed up.”

“I see, so it defended her.”

“Yes, they are sisters.”

“Well, what’s the plan?”

“Gather your best fighters and charge it.”

I saw the guard.

“Jalad, Dallel! You two with me.”

They nodded and told their men to get back.

I got the 3 Aces to come with me.

All together, we had a force of 12. Killing the dragon should’ve been hard, but it confused us by offering its neck.

Even the king, who was ready to butcher it, was confused.

However, the shocking events weren’t done, as the moment Dallel struck to kill the beast. Royce showed up and clashed with the blow defending the beast.

“Royce? What are you doing here?”

“Stopping you from making the biggest mistake of your life.”

_

I had accepted death, someone else would be able to reproduce for our race, I couldn’t hurt those 2 who were so kind to me.

Then I heard metal clash with metal.

“Royce? What are you doing here?”

“What do you mean? It’s a dragon.”

“Kill that beast Royce, now!”

The king lashed out at Royce.

“I will not.”

“What? It's a monster, who has probably killed countless people.”

“5 is not countless, especially when they were the aggressors in each situation.”

How did he know I killed more people? Dallel was as shocked as I was.

“Royce, why are you acting like you know the beast.”

“Because I do, and you do too. The secrets out, there’s no point in hiding it anymore.”

I knew what he meant and shifted myself back into the catkin. An arrow in my eye, a shattered arm, and my stomach with a massive amount of injuries.

“What?”

The adventurers that knew me dropped their weapons and Jalad and Dallel both fell back.

“Hi,”

I gave a smile despite my extensive injuries. And I heard Jalad say something that I wasn’t expecting.

“I was right.”

The King also thought to speak.

“See, she’s a monster. She must have used a spell to make you align with her that quickly and it seems that Royce is still under that spell.”

Royce laughed bitterly,

“No, because I met her while she was still in a contract with someone. She fought to save my life from a Whilderbeast. Upon answering our questions, I decided to trust her of my own volition. If any of you wants to kill her.”

He smiled grimly.

“You’ll have to get through us.”

The group of fighters that were there in the woods when I was first revealed came out in my defense.

“No, stop. I’m willing to die.”

“Yeah, but I’m not willing to let you die.”

“Her spell is horrible. She’s using it to make people fight for her.”

An adventurer yelled. That was getting annoying.

“Dragons don’t have mind control spells, don’t be stupid!”

The king was furious.

“Whether or not there is a spell doesn’t matter, she’s a monster and she needs to be subjugated.”

Half of the group nodded, but the rest seemed skeptical. Suddenly I started laughing. It was a bitter dark laugh that even made Royce turn around with some fear.

“You call us monsters?! Hahaha! You went to my sister’s nest, unprovokedly attacking her and torturing her, then you destroyed the nest and broke the eggs in front of her, only to teleport back to the castle and throw her in front of me to provoke me, after shooting me for no reason but my nature.”

I stopped laughing and glared at the king, my aura on full display.

“And you have the gall to call us monsters?! Contrary to what you think, dragons have a lot of care for people around us, in combat we are mostly unforgiving and violent, but that’s battle. Something that each one of you has done.”

The king’s determination faltered when I called him out for his monstrous actions. Then in a final attempt to maintain his confidence in his actions, he said one last thing quietly.

“But you also killed Saliad.”

“And can you not imagine why I did? I am over 100 years old, but when I was no older than 10, he came into the nest, killed my father and mother with no mercy and shattered the unhatched eggs. Then when I faced him in the arena, he bragged about killing my older brother like he wasn’t even worth remembering. Imagine someone doing that to you and tell me if you wouldn’t kill them. I even gave him the mercy of a quick death.”

The king had no more bloodlust, and even the adventurers and guards that were cheering for my death now sat in silence.

“You killed Galswell.”

“Because he was going to kill my sister.”

It was at that moment that Jalad and Dallel noticed that I was in a defensive position over Thalia.

“Is that your sister?”

I nodded weakly.

At this point, the king started crying. I could sense no more fear, only sorrow and regret.

“I made a mistake. I went on my own biases and attacked someone just trying to live their life. I... I did this.”

The adventurers and royal guards also noticed that they had let fear drive them and attempted to kill someone who had no intention to kill them.

Many sat down with tears in their eyes, and I took advantage and grabbed my sister. Turning back into a dragon, I picked her up and struggled to fly away. My wing was barely functioning, but it would heal when the curse let up.

I only heard a small voice from Mammon before I left earshot.

“What have we done?”

Hello there, human! I'm reviewing using the YWS S'more Method today!

Shalt we commence with the possessed S’more?

Top Graham Cracker - Everyone finds out that Rose and Thalia are dragons. After almost dying, Rose flies off with Thalia, away from the King and his regretful adventurers.

Slightly Burnt Marshmallow - When Royce is warning the others about attacking Rose, I think you meant to say “want”. But if not, then ignore this.

Chocolate Bar - Where should I start? Hmm…perhaps my favorite part would be when Rose calls out the King and his adventurers for their biases against dragons, it’s so satisfying to see her tell them off. Another favorite part of mine is how they all immediately regret their actions. A minute ago, they were going to kill her, but now they’re feeling sorry.

Closing Graham Cracker - A lovely little chapter where those who care about Rose come to her defense, and she’s still alive from the killings! That brush with death was a close one, but at least Royce came to her defense.

I wish you a fantastic day/night! :>

RavenAkuma wrote a review...

Hello Again, My Friend!

It's me, Raven, and I'd like to review the next chapter in this great story using my Familiar method! Let's dive in, shall we? Heh heh heh...

What The Black Eyes See...

Ah, more tension but a lot of relief too! The way the king refused to elaborate that it was Rose at first was so shady! However, the way Rose was honest and made them see reason was great to read -and of course, Royce was once again an awesome character! Let's get into the details though.

Where The Dagger Points...

No recommendations for content! This chapter was awesome! There were two sentences that lacked proper question marks:

The elf was severely injured too, what had the monster done to it.

“Well, what’s the plan.”

However, that's a minor thing, and that's all I could say. Great writing job ~

Why The Grin Widened...

This section will be a long one, but there was so much to take in...

I really like how you handled the king toward the beginning. The way he refused to tell the truth about Rose to Mammon, and still tried to keep it even as Royce jumped in to stop them, was really suspicious. It makes you wonder if he's lying just to ensure nobody hesitates to kill this dragon, or if he's lying to spare them the grief of killing someone they *thought* they knew. It added a sense of unpredictability and anticipation as the chapter continues.

I also loved how you started Rose's POV.

It's so morbid to see the contrast in her character and its direction here: not even two chapters ago, Rose was making plans for the future of herself and dragonkind, and so was Thalia. Now here, with Thalia in seemingly critical condition, Rose admits to discarding those plans and just accepts death. And not only that, but she does it for the good of Jalad and Dallel, which was such an emotional moment!

Speaking of which, as I mentioned, Royce is just so cool; he really is one of my favorite characters. I mean, this:

“No, stop. I’m willing to die.”

Yes, yes, yes! It was so satisfying to read how even when Rose gives up, she has at least one person who knows the truth, and more importantly, accepts and protects her regardless!

As Rose spits the truth like fire (yes that was a dragon joke sorry lol), I find myself invested with each exchange; every time the king brought up something to use against her, she was ready to justify what had happened and why.

That furious tone was spot-on, and big points for consistency! Rose isn't exaggerating or lying about any of this, she has shown respect for the fighters they come across, including Saliad. Even if she gets angry with them, and even if she has to ultimately kill them.

I was a bit surprised at the volume of emotion in the king's response, and just because of that behavior toward the beginning, I wonder if they're crocodile tears (that could just be me, ever the skeptic especially with authority characters lol...) However, seeing that level of response from the soldiers felt not only appropriate, but like it was one big moment of sobriety. Realizing that they pretty much tortured and almost killed a girl that they've all come to know and respect to some degree, and none of it was down to "mind control" as they so desperately wanted to believe at first. That was very nicely done ~

That final line from Mammon was the perfect touch to end the chapter. He knew something was up with Rose after all, and that hardly slowed him down. I am very much interested in seeing what he will make of this. Likewise, I would love to see what Jalad has to say, now that he knows his suspicions were correct, and what Dallel will make of it (just because I like Dallel and his friendship with Rose lol).

Our Mad Thoughts...

Overall, awesome chapter, I am so eager to see where you take us from here! Nicely done! :)

keeperofgaming says...

thanks for the review and the pointing out of the ever elusive question marks

People find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right.
— Albus Dumbledore