The Adventures of Rose Hood Chapter 18: Dragon Tamer Royce

by keeperofgaming

Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for violence.

Bandit Chief POV

Ha. The village is ours. We had so much money now.

"Kill them all!"

I couldn't help but laugh. No one could save them. The knights were too selfish, and the other villages were too scared of us.

Just to think, a few days ago, we were worried about starving.

"Mam, please spare us."

The village leader looked at me in a pleading look.

"Why should I do that? You could give me something."

The old man wasn't that appealing, but I could help myself to his son. Upon seeing my look, they both cringed.

"You're disgusting!"

The son yelled. He was angry at me for burning his village.

"Oh, please. You weren't giving us food, why should I spare you?"

"We offered a discount even; you wanted us to give it to you for free. We need that money to live."

"Well now you won't live."

All of the sudden the screaming got louder. I turned and saw some of my men pointing at the sky.

"D-d-dragon!"

Oh crap. Screw the village I need to get out of he-

_

I crushed the leader and Royce leapt off of my back and started cutting down bandits. I also covered him and slashed some in half. As the bandits started to flee, I charged forward and burnt them to a crisp.

After the village was safe, the villagers looked at me in fear.

"Sir Royce? What are you doing here? Why is there a dragon?"

"I was returning from Calesen, when I saw the bandits."

"So, the dragon..."

Royce began to struggle for an excuse, but then.

"Sir Royce tamed a dragon! Incredible."

... What?

"Huh? No-"

"We must spread the word. Royce Dragon Tamer, thank you so much for you and your pet dragon!"

"Bu-"

"Take this, I hope it's enough to compensate."

"I don't need money."

"Ah, how noble. We thank you again for your great service to us."

Then they left, singing Royce's praises. He looked at me with a look that said, 'the heck just happened.'

"Let's just go."

I agreed and let him back onto my back. We flew and the people were whooping.

"I'm just worried about what everyone else will think."

I laughed.

"Mammon and my siblings will think it's hilarious."

"The king will be annoyed but accept it."

"Jalad and Dallel..."

"They'll kill me."

"Yep."

_

When we got closer to the gate I landed in a forest and shifted back into my catkin form.

We approached the gate and the gate guard said,

"Hey Rose, good job on scaring off that massive beast."

So, that's the story they're going with.

"It was hard."

"I'd imagine, good thing you're okay though."

We went to the guild and entered.

"Ah, Sir Royce."

Jalad's smile made Royce flinch. He wrapped his arm around his shoulder and grinned.

"Mind explaining this story that reached us a few minutes ago?"

"Pray tell, what is it?"

"That you made a wonderful movement and tamed a dragon making it your pet."

"Ah... that..."

"Come with me."

Jalad dragged Royce into Mammon's office and then unleashed his aura.

"Mind explaining?"

Royce looked at me hopefully. I sighed,

"Me and Royce found a village in danger on our way back, I helped, and they assumed he had tamed me."

"And he accepted it."

"Nope, they wouldn't let him respond."

"Ah..."

Jalad looked less upset, but still glared at Royce. Mammon came in laughing.

"Ah look, the pet's back."

"Guildmaster, please don't say that if you want to keep your head."

"Hah, Dallel, I ain't scared of ya."

Dallel gave a glare to Royce who once again wilted. For some reason he seemed angrier than Jalad.

After we explained it Dallel was still glaring while Mammon only laughed more.

"Anyways, Lassie. We didn't tell anyone about you being... yeah, so you're still on track to be an A rank."

"Thanks."

"Thank the king, if it weren't for his direct order, the 3 aces would've spread the word as far as they could see."

"I will, if he doesn't attempt something that dumb again."

"Yeah..."

Royce spoke up,

"I need to meet with the king actually, so I'll take my leave."

"What do you need to meet with him for?"

"The king of Calesen is open for negotiations since Saliad is dead."

"That's why they were hostile? Really?"

Royce left. Jalad turned to me in confusion.

"Were they really hostile for Saliad alone?"

"He essentially threatened the king and left after the coronation. This kingdom defended him."

"I see."

Mammon seemed upset, I could understand, they used to be party members, so the sudden realization that Saliad and Galswell weren't the saints he thought they were was probably a bigger shock to him.

"I should probably get my armor checked on."

"By the way, Rose. How'd the king figure out you were a dragon in the first place."

Mammon's question caught me off guard. I turned.

"He sent Galswell to get whatever could be scavenged from the fire dragon. Her being alive was a major hint."

"I see, is she still alive?"

"She was the elf I carried when I was fleeing."

"I see, that matches what the king said."

I left the office as Jalad, Dallel, and Mammon sat in silence.

_

I entered the blacksmith shop after avoiding detection from the tons of people that looked for me.

"Ah, the shining star returns."

"Hello, Thalias."

"Hello, I see you learned my name."

"Would you be able to examine my armor to make sure it's still in good condition, I had a few skirmishes."

"I see, hmmm. That's odd, it looks refined from the crude armor I gave you."

"My sister is a master blacksmith, she refined it, sorry."

"Incredible workmanship, she is better than I am at least. Though as your sister, she could probably hold grammite a lot easier."

"Yeah, she is pretty strong."

"You don't need to apologize; this armor is far better than anything I could ever make. I'm just happy to have the chance to examine it."

He inspected the armor with an almost crude look. As someone that has the fire element, I could understand he was only interested in the armor, but if someone came in, they'd assume that he was a weirdo lusting after a little girl.

"That armor is incredible. Your sister is amazing. I must meet her, where is she?"

"Calesen."

"Ah... it would be hard to meet her."

"Thalias, what're you doin'?"

Thalias's brother in arms, Gallson came in.

"Come on, give me a break, her sister refined her gear to a point where neither of us could match it."

"Really, could I see the blade?"

I handed him the blade and he examined it with eagerness.

"Incredible. I doubt I could even attempt to melt it down. There's even a dragon claw incorporated."

"I saw multiple dragon scales in your armor as well. A crimson dragon must have shed directly onto the armor there were so many."

"What?"

"On the inside of the armor there's a second layer of scales."

"Really?"

Thalia put her literal spare body parts in the gear.

"The grammite is refined too, if I couldn't feel the magic I incorporated into the gear, I'd assume you threw our crappy gear away for a full new set."

"Really?"

"It's leagues above everything I've seen made."

I guess 700 years of blacksmithing helps with the creative process.

"She does have a lot of experience."

"I can see that."

They did the check up and found that there were no issues. I checked and even I couldn't scratch it, so Thalia was just a master smith.

Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:13 pm

Hello there, human! I'm reviewing using the YWS S'more Method today!

Shalt we commence with the mutated S’more?

Top Graham Cracker - Rose and Royce protect a village, Rose goes off on adventure with her new armor, and her secret is kept safe.

Slightly Burnt Marshmallow - I feel like you meant to say “have” in the beginning, but if not, then please ignore this.

Chocolate Bar - I love how the bandit chief was fine with stealing until he saw Rose and Royce. Their attitude was immediately changed afterwards! It’s absolutely hilarious, no one should mess with dragons! Even funnier is how the village immediately thinks that Royce tamed a dragon. It’s the only way for them to explain it, but it’s just…off. [In a good way.]

Closing Graham Cracker - Overall, a lovely chapter of Royce and Rose protecting the village, and of Rose going on an adventure. Hopefully Rose will be able to protect more people and create more bonds! :>

I wish you a fantastic day/night! ^v^

RavenAkuma wrote a review...

Hello Again, My Friend!

It's me, Raven, and I'd like to review the next chapter in this great story using my Familiar method! Let's dive in, shall we? Heh heh heh...

What The Black Eyes See...

It was great to see Rose and Royce take down those bandits, only for Royce to earn an...awkward new title, haha. Likewise, Rose reuniting with the guild members was great to see, and the new story even made it amusing. Let's get into the details though.

Where The Dagger Points...

No recommendations for content! This chapter had an exciting battle, a touching reunion, and a sort of "update" to Rose's condition and her gear's condition. All perfect to sum up this arc of chaos. There was just one tiny recommendation I have here:

"Mam, please spare us."

Unless it's a name and I'm reading it wrong, I think this was supposed to be "Ma'am" here. Very minor error, if so, I used to spell it the same way lol.

That is all, great writing job ~

Why The Grin Widened...

Right off the bat, I loved how you framed the fight with the bandits and the village. I thought the conflict sounded real, and it added a bit to the worldbuilding, as it's easy to see/imagine that villages like this could be struggling to get by and make easy targets, hence the need for warriors like Rose and Royce.

You weren't giving us food, why should I spare you?"

An element of survival to the motive, but also greed. Not to mention callousness, willing to take the leader's son for "payment." That made the bandits feel more authentic, but also added to the satisfaction of seeing them crushed by a dragon and a kinsguard, haha. Nice attention to detail.

Seeing the guild members react to the story of "Royce the Dragon Tamer" was very funny. Mammon laughing about it, Jalad showing this sort of passive-aggressive interrogation, and Dallel just being flat-out bitter about it. The first two were a bit predictable (no less amusing), but I was a bit surprised at Dallel, thinking he might crack a snarky joke and tease Rose a bit, or something. Again, that speaks to how he's grown to respect Rose so much. So everything felt in line with their characters and I enjoyed the moment a lot ~

Moving onto the blacksmiths, it was great to finally learn more about Rose's upgraded armor, and by extension, Thalia's skill as a blacksmith herself. The fact that she put her own scales in the armor, something (obviously) meant to protect Rose from danger, made me think it could be a cute bit of symbolism that speaks to their bond.

Also, this...

I could understand he was only interested in the armor, but if someone came in, they'd assume that he was a weirdo lusting after a little girl.

This made me cringe-laugh to myself. I swear, these blacksmiths are always getting the short end of the stick when they make gear for Rose XD

Our Mad Thoughts...

Overall, awesome chapter, nicely done! :)

keeperofgaming says...

Thanks for the review.
This is one of my personal favorite chapters simply because of the awkwardness there. But yeah, I do need to change from mam to ma'am.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon.
— Paul Brandt