The Adventures of Rose Hood Chapter 33: At the Hours of Death

by keeperofgaming

Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for violence.

Jalad POV

(3 hours ago)

After talking to Mammon about my concerns about Rose, I decided to head to my station. I monitored people coming in, glaring at those with slaves.

Despite my and the king’s best efforts, we couldn’t outlaw slavery. Too many nobles had them or money invested in them. Rose was a good antislaver, she managed to stop three major slavers in the time it takes for someone to go through boot camp.

Her status as an adventurer was only overshadowed by her nature as a mature arcane dragon. Few would mess with the guild, less would mess with a mature dragon.

“Boss, you’ve been working hard these past few hours, feel free to take a break. Go meet up with Rose, I heard she’s been sleeping in the park for a few hours.”

“Good, she needs the sleep, but I guess I can go over there for a bit on patrol. Man my station.”

“Yes, Sir!”

I walked over to the central park where I saw Rose, she was sleeping so adorably. She may look like an adult when awake, but while asleep she looked like an innocent child. I should bring her to her inn room. It would be mor-

Cold. Her hand is cold.

No.

No no no.

I felt her pulse. There was none.

“Detect life!”

I was panicking, hoping she would be outlined by the skill.

There was no outline. My breathing was ragged as I picked her up, full bridal style and ran to the guild full speed.

_

I kicked through the door causing everyone inside to jump.

“It’s Rose!”

They were confused, but then they saw my face, tears falling down it, and they realized the situation.

“Bring her to the medical room.”

I ran and carefully put her in the bed.

“Jalad, relax.”

My breathing was ragged.

“JALAD!”

I looked up and saw Dallel.

“Calm down and tell us what happened.”

“I walked up and saw her sleeping in the park. I decided to take her to her inn, but she was cold. Concerned I checked her pulse, there was no pulse, I used detect life... and...”

I started crying again and Dallel and Royce looked at me in shock.

“How could this happen?”

“I d-don't know.”

The nurse came back.

“It’s odd.”

Mammon handled the talking as he was still calm.

“Did you find a cause of death?”

“That’s the odd part. There is no cause. Not even any traces of disease. It’s like she just died.”

“People don’t just drop dead, Agatha.”

“I know, Sir, but there’s no way to explain this. If not for the detect life skill not working, I’d assume she was still alive.”

All of the sudden I had a splitting headache.

“GAHK”

“Jalad?!”

“URK that hurts. ERN.”

What was that pain? Something was happening.

It stopped.

“I’m fine... what was that?”

“Jalad, you scared me. I thought you were about to drop dead like Rose.”

“I thought so too.”

The door to the medical center got kicked open.

“WHERE IS MY SISTER?!”

A panicked Elren came in with Thalia. He froze on seeing her on the bed.

“No life... none at all... what happened?”

He grabbed Dallel by the throat picking him up.

“What happened to my sister?!”

“We don’t know, there isn’t a cause of death.”

“What do you mea-”

“Elren, put my brother down. I understand you are shocked, we all are, but can’t you see that they are as affected as you are.”

An elven woman came in with a child who looked confused. The kid walked over to the bed.

“She’s not dead though.”

“What?”

“She’s not dead, her soul is still connected, it’s just somewhere else right now.”

“Alice, are you saying we can save her?”

“No need. She’ll return eventually.”

“How do you know this?”

Elren turned to me.

“Jalad, right? This is my daughter, Alice, she is a death dragon. That allows her to see souls.”

“I see, so she isn’t dead?”

“It seems not.”

“Thank goodness.”

“We will stay here until she wakes up.”

The nurse sighs.

“So, that’s why there was no sign of death. I was stumped. How did this happen?”

“Probably because Aunty is a MMPH!”

“I see that makes sense.”

We all looked oddly at Elren except for Thalia.

“It’s a matter that is secret to dragons.”

We nodded still skeptical, but Dallel and Royce oddly enough accepted it with full trust.

“I guess it isn’t our business then.”

Mammon gave them a confused look.

“Royce, Dallel, you are being weird, but King Elren, if it affects my adventurer, I’d rather be aware of what it is.”

“I understand, but frankly we don’t know how to deal with it either, so I think it’s better to not tell you.”

“I see.”

Thu May 16, 2024 6:08 am
Animist1 says...

💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯

RavenAkuma wrote a review...

Hello Again, My Friend!

It's me, Raven, and I'd like to review the next chapter in this great story using my Familiar method! Let's dive in, shall we? Heh heh heh...

What The Black Eyes See...

Yes, I've said it before, but I love these alternative-perspective chapters! Especially after the conversation Rose had with Jalad about death, this was such a chilling moment to read through! I was as stumped as the characters about what was happening, but Alice's explanation is a fascinating clue. Let's get into the details though.

Where The Dagger Points...

I found nothing to put here this time! Good writing job ~

Why The Grin Widened...

This was a shorter chapter, but it had a lot of great content. First of all, I thought you captured Jalad's panic and remorse very well after he discovered Rose's semi-corpse, like here:

I thought this was a great way to prominently display the bond between him and Rose, and how close they've become as friends. Very nice work there ~

Dallel, Thalia, Royce, and Mammon immediately being brought to attention, and worrying about what happened, also showed the reach of Rose's influence on those around her. Not to mention, Elren immediately panicking in a fit of anger, to the point of momentarily attacking Dallel, really showed his defensive nature as her older brother.

And finally, while being as adorable to imagine as ever, Alice's ability and explanation as a death dragon...

She’s not dead, her soul is still connected, it’s just somewhere else right now.”

Super cool! And while I'm not exactly sure what these shards have done to Rose to have caused this disconnect, it definitely speaks to more of the negative effects and influences they can have on her. But overall, I think this was a great way to hint toward the true effects that Rose's death would have on those around her, much less the scenario of them having to kill her like she mentioned.

Our Mad Thoughts...

Overall, this chapter was awesome, nicely done! :D

Hello there, human! I'm reviewing using the YWS S'more Method today!

Shalt we commence with the mutated S’more?

Top Graham Cracker - Her friends find Rose in her limbo state, in the state of which she is conversing with the sins. For a moment, it looks like she’s dead, but she is, in fact, alive.

Slightly Burnt Marshmallow - I think that you meant to put in a question mark for when Alice is being asked how she knows Rose will be alright, but if not, then please ignore this.

Chocolate Bar - I like how concerned Jalad is about Rose, it shows how much he cares about her. They all care about her, and I’m sure that they still would if they knew the truth. She has good people in her life.

Closing Graham Cracker - It’s a touching perspective, from the view of her friends watching Rose in her limbo state. Perhaps they will be able to help her, or maybe she’ll have to do it alone. But in the end, they’ll be waiting for her.

I wish you a lovely day/night! :>

Every empire tells itself and the world that it is unlike all other empires.
— Edward Said