The Adventures of Rose Hood Chapter 39: Envy's Embrace

by keeperofgaming

Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for violence.

Envy POV

The battle was going perfectly. The Whilder King died quickly, making the shards the only challenge, but that was intentional.

I knew Wrath also wanted that body. The arcane dragon. I don’t know how Innocence obtained a form such as that, but I need it more.

I saw that Sloth was in there as well, a fun plan to split during battle and catch the enemy off guard. Sloth must think this is an important event.

Well, next time they split, I would strike. All I needed is to draw Wrath towards her. Disguise voice and...

“Lady Wrath, Innocence is open.”

Wrath took notice and threw off Peace before charging Innocence who blocked barely, she was still injured from her throat being torn out. Wrath took the advantage to push down on her.

Innocence battled and Peace was swarmed. Sloth realized that they needed to move, so she leapt out and got a strike on Wrath, catching her off guard.

Perfect.

I crept up to the body as the duo clashed with Wrath, and then I saw the perfect chance.

“MINE!”

She turned and recognized me in the second before I reached out. Every shard’s eyes widened.

They knew what I was doing, but it was too late. My hand grabbed her face and my essence pushed into her.

She lost her memories, and Sloth was outside. There was nothing she could do. I shattered her mind in an instant. All of her memories echoed through me... I could see why she loved this world...

No matter. I will make it all equal. No slavery. No monopoly. Rose... me and you together. We shall destroy this world and remake it.

“Hu ha hu ha hahahaha! I win. I win I win I win I WIN!!!”

I couldn’t help but laugh. I heard a voice from the frontlines of the miserable humans.

“Rose?”

“No, I’m not Rose. The name’s Envy. I would tell you to remember it, but none of you will leave this battlefield alive.”

_

Side Jalad

The words confirmed that we had lost. Rose was taken, not by Wrath, but by this Envy. The only sound that could be heard on the battlefield after Envy’s proclamation was laughter. Zath was hysterical.

“Incredible play! Ha ha ha. Something not even I could’ve expected! Envy established as a core? This will shake the stage completely.”

All of us knew Zath couldn’t be trusted, but something wasn’t adding up. I thought a core needed to absorb another shard. She absorbed Rose. I suppose a body would also enhance the chances of being the core.

“You *****! You killed Rose!”

The woman named Sloth charged Envy, but Envy was faster, chopping off Sloth’s arm and absorbing her, too.

“AH~ I am so much stronger than you, and so much closer to destroying everything~”

Envy looked elated as though she just finished eating a feast.

“Dragon strength in addition to the shards. It’s almost too much!”

“Well, Wrath!”

“Yes, Peace?”

“I think you know what we need to do.”

“Agreed, we need to defeat Envy.”

All 7 of the present shards nodded and charged Envy who dodged and countered each one.

The war was still happening, and even though the shards were fighting to defeat Envy, the soldiers still battled and raged against one another.

I slew another goblin as I slowly drew closer to Rose’s body, because she told me one plan. One solution.

_

“Jalad, do you remember the question I asked you?”

“Yeah, I’m still not killing you.”

“I know, but if I get controlled, I want you to use this next to me.”

“What is it?”

“Insurance that we will win.”

“Will it kill you?”

“If you need to use it, I’ll already be dead.”

“Please don’t.”

She smiled.

“I'll try."

_

I couldn’t stop the tears in my eyes, I knew that we prepared for it, but I never expected her to actually die.

I brought the device and Envy noticed me.

“Oh, a human, I guess you will be my second nourishment in this body.”

She charged me and I saw the beautiful face that used to be full of love and innocence twisted in sick glee.

I pressed the button and light shot out. It seized each shard, all of whom began screaming in pain.

Envy tried breaking out, but even Rose’s body was dragged in. The device consumed the shards, then it became too hot to handle and I dropped it with a shout.

We could all feel the immense evil energy in the device. The entire battle stopped as the evil creatures no longer had guides, and the men no longer had to fight to live.

Rose, what the heck did you give me?

_

Side Envy

I have the ultimate power, I don’t care what these fools do, even all of the shards can’t take me down. Sloth foolishly charged and died so quickly.

They kept charging, but I simply fought back. Wrath was furious.

“She was my prey!”

“Fool, you really thought I had no plan to take her form?”

Wrath and I clashed, but I was three, so I threw her back so easily.

Odd a human was coming up with no fear, only sadness.

I guess I can have more nourishment.

I charged him, but he pressed the odd thing he was holding.

This light, it hurts. The other shards are also screaming.

“AAAHHHHHH!”

Pain pain pain!!!

“Wait where are we?”

I looked up and saw all of the shards around us, and on an elevated platform was a face I never thought I’d see again.

“Hello girls, welcome to our contingency.”

We all looked in shock as Rose and Sloth sat side by side on thrones with triumphant smiles.

“We aren’t going to fall that easily.”

RavenAkuma wrote a review...

Hello Again, My Friend!

It's me, Raven, and I'd like to review the next chapter in this great story using my Familiar method! Let's dive in, shall we? Heh heh heh...

What The Black Eyes See...

Ooou, this chapter was so tense! Each shard clambering to take control of Rose, and one as nasty as Envy being the first to do it? Not to mention the contingency plan -the initial staging of it, that Rose was gone, and Jalad showing great grief, only for that ending to turn things around? Incredible!! Let's get into the details though.

Where The Dagger Points...

No complaints! Loved this!

Why The Grin Widened...

First of all, I love how even when she's not directly saying "I'm so jealous" or something, everything Envy does or says has an air of...well, envy, lol. I think I mentioned this before, but seriously, you do such a great job at capturing the essence of the shards while still giving them individual characterizations. And the addition of a motive for the destruction of the world...

Perfect! It adds a layer to the conflict beyond destroying something just because they're evil. The world does have deep-seated problems and vile people, something a corrupt goddess may see as a project beyond repair, but as we know from Rose's experience, there are also great people, great places, and a surplus of hope and potential to make it better. So it allows you to understand the villains while still -of course- siding with the hero.

“Agreed, we need to defeat Envy.”

I was surprised that Peace and Wrath agreed and teamed here. If nothing else, because -as the names imply- it's just incredibly ironic and added a bit of humor.

Jalad's description here really shows his bond to Rose, and the deep impact that her perceived death is having on him. Great character moment ~

This was a great way to show the range and severity of the influence the shards had on their armies and subjects, and the kind of power they have.

Awesome way to end this! Love this! The visual, the implications, the sense of power, that confident final line; all of it, brilliant!

Our Mad Thoughts...

Overall, that was a great chapter to continue the battle! Reviews may become more spaced out since I've taken up *so* many projects lately, but I'm excited to see where this goes. Nicely done! :D

Thanks for the reviews and I fully understand

Hello there, human! I'm reviewing using the YWS S'more Method today!

Shalt we commence with the review?

Top Graham Cracker - Envy took control of Rose and absorbed Sloth, but since Jalad did what Rose asked him to do, all of the shards were absorbed, and Rose and Sloth were okay!

Slightly Burnt Marshmallow - This chapter is fine, I like this chapter.

Chocolate Bar - I seriously thought that Rose and Sloth were dead. I almost thought that this was the end, but when they were revealed to be alive…I’m so glad that they’re okay! I wonder what they’re going to do, now that they’re all together. Will the others ever know that they’re okay?

Closing Graham Cracker - Envy took brief control of Rose’s body, but since Jalad did what Rose asked, all is getting into order, and Rose and Sloth are ready to fight. Just Rose and the shards.

I wish you a beautiful day/night! :>

Glad you enjoyed.

fun fact i hear my evil twin once wrote a story about a hacker who used the name fyshi33k bc there are 33k-ish species of fish and she liked phishing so fyshi-33k made sense but then she got super embarrassed when someone forced her to explain
— VyperShadow