Paradoxical Roots

by indieeloise

A/N: First thing I've written completely since April, although I'm not entirely sure it's yet completed.

We are painting trees
on paper --

and I am disappointed
by the number of 
rings that encircle
your soul.

When lightning strikes
and I collide with the ground
in a forest, I know you won't
be near to hear me
fall.

Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:13 am
IrumZahra says...

"by the number of
rings that encircle
your soul."
This is my favorite line. It's perfect.

Juniper wrote a review...

Hey there, I'm June,

To me, this poem is perfect. It's so simple but says so much in its short life that I can't help but deeply appreciate it. The more I read over it, the more room I find for interpretation, which keeps me thinking about it after the fact (and that's an incredible achievement in writing, to have your words stick with your audience after the fact).

I don't know what more to say about this other than that I enjoyed it immensely. I don't often encounter poems that make me want to pour forth showers of praise, but this one makes me want to. Two thumbs up; I'd love to see more from you.

June

deleted12 says...

Um...pretty good! :) -Neonmask

saria wrote a review...

I'm still trying to understand the deeper meaning of poetry. I have a friend who loves poetry but when she shows it to me I don't understand. Then she explains it to me and I see the deeper meaning and how beautiful it really is. Or sometimes how it shows deep personal encounters. Or you just express your feelings. Could you please leave a short description for me?

Kaylyn wrote a review...

I'd say firstly that I think you could do a lot more with this poem than what is already here. However, just a couple technical things:

"on paper --"
If you are going to use the -, just use one. There is no need for the double --.

"in a forest, I know you won't"
I would suggest that you take out in a forest, it's not really needed here, and flows better without it.

I like this imagery that is consistant to one with the trees:
"by the number of
rings that encircle
your soul."

Overall, I think I would just suggest adding more, I think that this would have some potential behind it. Adding some more "tree/forest" imagery as long as you stay away from the cliches would be fantastic. Good luck and keep going with this.
~Kay

We understand how dangerous a mask can be. We all become what we pretend to be.
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind