z

Young Writers Society



Petals of the Fallen

by indieeloise


Gone, but never forgotten - in honor of the twenty babies that entered heaven’s gates December 14, 2012.

.

I came across the Painter today.

His gently worn hands were spattered with flecks

of exuberant colors and hues.

.

He used a cloud for a canvas:

red from passion mixed with the purity of white

for the pink of childhood's rosy cheeks.

.

Dipping his fingers in the green

of recurring life,

he romanced the image to the skies.

.

"What are you painting?"

I asked the bearded Man

with brown eyes that pierced the soul.

.

Stalks of green were coaxed to the skyline:

one, two, three, I counted.

When creation was complete, there were twenty

.

pink blooms smeared the white space

above the stems, painted

not with precision, but untouched beauty.

.

But then the Artist's expression changed.

Deep and anguished sadness

engraved the creases of his face.

.

The white of the canvas turned black

with the darkening of the horizon

and the upheaval of the skies.

.

It rained. The sky opened,

its quiet tears disappearing

into the shadow of uprooted innocence.

.

I had forgotten the painter was next to me

until he exhaled into the mist.

Droplets of grief hastened from his whisper.

.

He brushed his fingers once more

into the green of vitality,

sprouting life from the petals of the fallen.

.

It occurred to me then -

though cut off from its source of survival,

the essence of each blossom lives on.

.

From the rain of suffering, the tears shed,

each spirit can grow, be revivified in the form

of a future in remembrance of the original twenty seeds.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
60 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 60

Donate
Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:24 am
therealme wrote a review...



I love this. What a beautiful story you told with your poetry :) My favourite part of writing and reading other people's writing is the story behind the words. You told a very meaningful story and laced the emotion excellently into it.
Very good job :)




User avatar


Points: 300
Reviews: 0

Donate
Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:41 pm
Nats9 says...



Inspiring :)




User avatar
1176 Reviews


Points: 1979
Reviews: 1176

Donate
Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:53 am
Twit wrote a review...



Hi Indieeloise! Sorry this has taken a while to get to.


Gone, but never forgotten - in honor of the twenty flowers who entered heaven’s gates December 14, 2012.

This kind of description is often very subjective. You might think it sweet; I know people who would hate it for being sentimental. I’m torn, because it is sweet, but it’s sentimental as well.


He used a cloud for a canvas
Red from passion mixed with the purity of white
for the pink of childhood’s rosy cheeks

This doesn’t sound quite right. I get what you’re saying, but it’s said wrong. “The red of passion”, maybe? There’s a lot of passive voice in this stanza, which doesn’t run so well.


Dipping his fingers in the green
from virescence of recurring life,
he romanced the image to the skies

You’re getting a bit OTT in the last line. “Romanced the image” is too vague and purple. Also “green from virescence of recurring life” sounds a bit wordy. “The green of recurring life”? Is virescence a word? And why “recurring”? It’s not a very emotive word.


“What are you painting?”
I asked the bearded Man
with brown eyes that pierced the soul

The structure here makes it sound like the speaker has brown eyes that pierce the soul.


And then it rained.
The sky opened, its quiet tears disappearing
into the shadow of uprooted innocence

This feel too sentimental.


From the rain of suffering, and from the tears shed
each spirit can grow, be revivified in the form
of a future in remembrance of the original twenty seeds.

This is a bit convoluted. If you read it out loud, it’s a bit of a mouthful.


---

So this is an important subject, so it needs to be perfect. You have some lovely imagery, and I like the overall picture of the poem with the Painter and questioning observer. You’re missing punctuation in some places—not much, just some missed out commas and full stops and the like. There’s a lot of emotion in the language, and the pacing worked very well.

What I’m not sure about is the message. I really like the image of the Painter, but I’m not sure that it’s suitable. When writing about children, and about bad things that have happened to children, there is a tendency to overly romanticise it all, and talk about precious angels and taken too soon and flowers in God’s garden. I’m not trying to be callous, because what happened was terrible, and if some people find solace in that kind of image, then that’s wonderful. But I, personally, would shy away from that kind of image, because to me it conjures up Victorian ideals of rosy-cheeked children on chocolate boxes that are Too Good For This World; and none of it seems real. I have several younger brothers, and if anything happened to them and they died, I wouldn’t want someone telling me that they were flowers and angels, because they’re not. They’re people, humans, children. They play too many computer games and watch too much YouTube and don’t do their chores and forget to flush the toilet. They’re loud and annoying and disobedient, and they are not flowers and angels.

This is a very nice poem, but you just need to be careful in some places that you’re not leaving the poetic and stepping into maudlin.

PM or Wall me if you have any questions.

-twit




User avatar
67 Reviews


Points: 2724
Reviews: 67

Donate
Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:35 am
DarknecrosisX wrote a review...



This is what I love about inspired pieces: they convey such a powerful message because the writer knows how the audience should feel- which is often the same way they felt. The use of an artist is quite symbolic of a storyteller, but through a picture that is described by the narrator for the audience to see it for themselves, which is pretty clever. The use of life as a connotation of flowers and green, and grief and sadness from rain I found very fitting for the theme of this poem, and with prose it is vital that you give strong emotive language and techniques in this manner to effect the reader.

Onto the grammatical side of things- it was perfect, save for the capital lettering for the terms used to label the painter, but I think it works well because it represents him as a higher character, and some could interpret him as God from a particular view. Either way, if that was accidental, watch out. Spelling was perfect (I even learned a new word), and you used a range of vocabulary, but variation in punctuation was slightly lacking, I feel. From your style, I think a full stop at the end of most of the stanzas in this poem would have been fine, simply because the subject changes too much in the following verse to miss one. But that's my opinion.

Regardless, this is a fantastic commemoration to those who lost their lives at the Newtown shooting, and you really captured a lot of emotion when you wrote this. Well done, this is a truly fantastic poem.

Regards
DNX




indieeloise says...


Thank you so much. Yes, I capitalized the painter's title on purpose. I will review this in terms of punctuation, thanks for the suggestion!



User avatar
50 Reviews


Points: 822
Reviews: 50

Donate
Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:37 am
Pencil2paper wrote a review...



That was absolutely amazing. I am literally tearing up now becuase of both its beauty and the beauty of the intent behind it. Very few things make me cry. I had to read the poem again so that I would be objective when critiquing it. The beginning was great and the ending was amazing, but I think it lost something in the middle. I would especially pay attention to and revise the last half of the poem, excluding the last paragraph. Overall, very well done and I am very glad to have read it. It may have been one of the most heartfelt things I've ever read.




indieeloise says...


I will definitely shape up the second half. Thank you so much.



User avatar
25 Reviews


Points: 1234
Reviews: 25

Donate
Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:00 am
nomadpenguin wrote a review...



I really hate to criticize this poem because it's intention and concept are so good. The first half was astonishing, but the second half fell short of the high standards the first half had placed.

Your initial descriptions of the painting of the flowers was gorgeous. You created a very beautiful serene mood.

I'm very sorry to say, but the second half of the poem where the mood grows darker is underwhelming. The diction became just a little un-poetic. The longer words disrupted the rhythm, and the structure was just a little bit too straightforward. I think it would do you good if you took the second half and made it much, much shorter. Because you're not trying to depict trauma, just sadness and loss, I think that it would be enough to just create the image of the destruction of the flowers, and let the reader fill in the emotions instead of explicitly depicting the tear on the speaker's cheek. I'm not saying that this part was bad, but it just wasn't half as good as the rest.

If I were you, I would put the dedication at the beginning of the poem.

Also, I'm a bit confused by the painter. Is he god? Society?


I don't want to sound like I don't like this poem, I really did. I just think it could be so much better.




indieeloise says...


I felt the same way when writing the last half. I hadn't edited that part yet when I posted it because I was working to finish it for an hour and a half straight in the library at school and I was just mentally tired, haha. I will definitely work with it to make it more compact, and at the same time, impactful. The painter is God, and someone else mentioned that who he was was a little unclear, so I will play around with some subtle hints to stress that a little more. Thank you so much for all your suggestions, they really help a lot!



User avatar
15 Reviews


Points: 1019
Reviews: 15

Donate
Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:54 pm
CinnaThePoet wrote a review...



This poem is absolutely wonderful. It is truly wonderful in every way.
First things first, I'm a fan of your structure. It keeps the reader moving at a quick pace, which is important when your poem is longer than 20 or 30 lines.
Now, your punctuation is a stylistic choice, but if I were you I would put periods at the end of sentences. I think it's important for this poem because many of your sentences are at the end of the stanzas, so there were a few spots where I got confused, for example:

"the essence of the each blossom lives on

From the rain of suffering, and from the tears shed"

I stumbled in my reading because I wasn't sure if the sentence continued or not. But this is really my only criticism. I love the imagery, I love the colorful description. Is the painter supposed to represent God? I'm not sure if I misunderstood that.

Keep up the great writing!
-Alex




indieeloise says...


I knew something was missing from those two separate lines, and you nailed it! I have revised a little of the punctuation, thanks for pointing it out. Yes, the painter is intended to be God, but you can perceive it however you wish. Thanks so much for your support!



User avatar
56 Reviews


Points: 728
Reviews: 56

Donate
Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:24 pm
methrirr123 wrote a review...



Quite possibly the most beautiful language I have seen in a poem on this site in the days I've spent here. Not saying I've been here long. This paints a vivid image, and most importantly makes the reader feel. Few works can do that. It's an accomplishment to do that with poetry, and I am by no means a poet. But you, writer, are a poet, one of great prowess, one of heavy heart and bright mind. That day, that sad day, was my sisters birthday. You are an amazing writer. Keep it up.




indieeloise says...


Thank you so much.




constant state of confuzzle
— Quillfeather