Impressions

by indieeloise

III.

I had planned to straighten my hair
tonight, to look pretty
so maybe that new guy,
the one in my computer class
with the deep brown eyes
that find my mouth when I laugh,
might notice me
tomorrow

but it is now 10pm
on a school night. I spent
the last hour telling
a stranger who felt
like giving up
that I believe in him.

VI.

This weekend I am going 
to the beach with the guy
I rode horses with one
rainy day. My mind says,
Don't eat the leftover
Easter candy; you want
to look good for him
on Saturday, don't you?

But the Hannah inside
questions why I should deny
myself something that I love
for someone I am merely
amused by. 
I will have a bite
of chocolate after 8pm
if I want to.

I.

Tonight, I shook hands
with a stranger named Purpose 
and realized there is more
to life
than third and sixth
impressions.

Audy wrote a review...

Hey Indie,

I absolutely love the voice and the earnestness in your piece -- I think I might say that about all of your pieces though? It's something very consistent in all of them, there's a style that is uniquely your own, so much so, that I could probably pick out one of your pieces from anonymous ones.

The cool thing about this piece is that you start off with a sort of hook that engages the reader right into the narrative/storytelling aspect of this piece, which I thought was enjoyable, there's a lot of character in that.

with the deep brown eyes
that find my mouth

This part here disrupted the poem for me, I think it's because I'm wondering if you're saying that the boy's eyes find the speaker's mouth? It's grammatically correct but it just sounds awkward when read -- it's one of those things where you hear "finds" in your head, even though that's the incorrect way of saying it xD Maybe "deep brown eyes that follow" might work better? Your choice.

But then again, I'm left wondering -- if he is looking in the direction of the speaker then he must have already noticed her, why point out that he doesn't notice her?

The only other thing I would comment about is the third and sixth impressions, simply because I'm not too familiar with it, I'm wondering if it's an actual phrase that people say, or you just arbitrarily chose those numbers? In either case, interesting, because each stanza reveals a new aspect of the speaker as well :)

Keep up the good work!

~ as always, Audy

Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:58 pm
primrose22 wrote a review...

Hello! I read angel83's comment, and I do want to say that I hold a different opinion. I know in writing that you definitely want to be as specific as possible, and in poetry it is often no different. Poems are one of the most personal types of writing, and I often find that these little tidbits of information make it all the more intimate and truthful. They paint a solid picture in people's minds, and help deveop your theme. I think angel83 is right in that it may not be as timeless as something else with less specifics, but really you are writing for today, yourself and the world as they are here and now, right? Really it is up to you and what you relate to and want others to relate to. If you want to focus on abtract emotions that will always be timeless, then go ahead. I think having little details such as "Easter" and the times are good as well.

Now, as I read this, your transformation of ideals did seem a *bit* rushed to me, especially at the part where you mention "Hannah." As a reader, I don't know who "Hannah" is. Is it a reference to something that other readers might know of? Then I think it is probably fine, if maybe a little too unknown.
But is it someone only you would know about? If it is the latter, then you might want to consider elaborating upon her more or mentioning in the first (or, uh, third? XD) part of the poem or make up a totally new part for her explaining who she is and how she affected you.

I do like what you did what your numbered stanzas. That was really clever, and has the potentiol, I think, to add so many different meanings to the poem.

Overall, I really like this. It has a wonderful theme, (that I, uh, totally agree with, by the way! XD) and nice imagery and words. It's just that it is a bit rushed and confusing to read because you do not develop it enough.

Keep writing this. ^^

angel83 wrote a review...

Okay I'll review you today. That was okay for the purpose i am lead to believe you wrote it for, but it would only work for you. If i read this in a poetry book 100 years from now it would make no sense to me. You should try using less specific adjectives to give it a timeless feel and make it so anyone can feel the emotion in it and relate to it, not just you. You shouldn't use names or classes because no one will understand that. It was slightly hard to follow but that is mostly because of what i already said. The last stanza is the highlight of the whole poem. Try writing the entire thing like that. Keep writing!

Congratulations!
— Magestorrrow