z

Young Writers Society



Conics Unfortunately: 26

by Ventomology


Ellipse was at a crossroads. She could jam her tofu-filled chopsticks down Tejal’s throat, which would force him to get some protein for once but might also result in injury and trauma, or she could try to convince the stubborn brat that spicy, coagulated soy was, in fact, tasty. And no, it was neither poisonous nor a carcinogen.

“It looks like mealy white jell-o,” Tejal hissed, trying to push into the back of his chair. He was shoved up against a dull, stainless steel wall, Ellipse standing between him and his freedom, trying to dodge the bowl of food she kept pushing at his face.

“You have to eat it,” she hissed back. “You do not eat meat, you do not eat beans, and you do not eat nuts. This is your last option. You will get protein, even if I have to cut you open and stick food directly into your stomach.”

“But that looks gross!” he wailed.

Rolling her eyes, Ellipse picked up a cube of tofu and held it in front of Tejal’s face. “Refried beans are more gross, and I still eat those! At least this is not mush. Besides, the sauce is good.”

“It has the same color scheme as Jupiter. That can’t be natural.”

“Peppers and oil do that. Get over your weird blue food and start eating like an earthling.” Bending over to try for looming and intimidating, Ellipse dunked the tofu piece back in the bowl and smirked. “After all, you will never grow buff if you do not eat the right nutrients.”

Tejal cross his arms and straightened, almost headbutting Ellipse in the process. “My size doesn’t matter, Oval.”

“What? Sour that you will never be taller than me?” Ellipse wanted to empty the bowl over Tejal’s head at this point, but she knew goading was always a better option with the brat. “That is no excuse for bad nutrition. Being in a wheelchair does not mean you are incapable of being a strong, healthy individual, and it does not excuse you from developing good habits.”

Finally, Tejal thrust out his hands, palms up, and looked away. “Fine,” he snarled. “Pick on the kid in the wheelchair. Just give me your gross tofu already.”

Ah, so much better. Grinning, Ellipse placed the bowl and chopsticks in Tejal’s hands and almost reached out to pat his head. Then she remembered that she had just poked fun at his height, so condescending actions were probably unwise.

“I am going to check on Focci,” she said, taking a step back. “He said he would download the new Andra album so he could give us the verdict first.”

Tejal’s eyebrows rose. “Did he? Oops. I already have it on my tablet.”

Maybe Focci had mentioned that while working on Mouthbot’s input programming. It was not a big deal though, so Ellipse returned Tejal’s look of surprise and tilted her head expectantly. She would ignore how quickly he had downloaded the album for now.

“It was good,” Tejal admitted. “But it wasn’t… uh, how do I put it?” He grimaced and fingered the spokes of his chair. “When I listen to an Andra album, I expect to hear something new and surprising, right? But this album just wasn’t. It wasn’t as interesting or funky-sounding as the other albums.”

Given how few earthling polyglots learned alien languages, that was a given. Andra’s earlier songs had been written to be poetic in siren, incorporate light-based communication rhythms in each groove, and be punctuated by spurts of the more earthling-like languages. Every melody originated from a place vastly different from the centuries of Earth culture that most earthling music came from.

“I think the only thing better than last time was the lyrics,” Tejal said.

Ellipse blinked. She had forgotten that Andra actually wrote all the earthling lyrics. Feeling sheepish, she pursed her lips and examined the polished metal floor.

Quirking an eyebrow, Tejal lifted up a piece of tofu and then watched the little cube disintegrate and fall back into the bowl. “I take it you don’t listen to the lyrics? You should; they’re pretty good.”

So sue her if she never paid attention to the words. Most of the universe did the exact same thing, and they were the people she marketed to. “What does Andra even sing about?” she asked.

“Everything, I guess.” Frowning, Tejal continued prodding at the tofu. “There’s the usual love-hate junk, but sometimes you get an anthem, and once I think Andra rapped about economics, like, the way an economist would rap about economics.”

Oh, Ellipse did remember that one. She had spent days building a groove to counter the rap’s syncopated rhythms, and the main melody translated into a funny siren folk tale about rust and fake currency. Her amusement at the memory must have shown on her face, because after a few moments of quiet, Tejal squinted at her and asked if she was okay.

“I am fine, sorry.” Ellipse waved a hand and glanced back at the ship to see if Focci had finished the download yet, but the cargo hold was empty of sirens as well as crates. “Anything interesting in this album?”

Tejal hummed. “There’s a song about biochemistry and some friend who’s interested in the stuff, but what’s really interesting is what’s not on the album.” He jammed a piece of tofu in his mouth, grimaced as he chewed, and swallowed. “It’s common knowledge that Andra was a doting older sibling, probably because the parents couldn’t be on the Andra-Media satellite with them, but whatever. The point is, there wasn’t a single song that could possibly be related to Elliott’s disappearance, and you’d think that Andra would at least write about missing her in some roundabout way.”

Ellipse was not about to argue on that. Few people knew anything about Elliott Bei beyond her relationship to Andra, and it was a situation best kept that way.

“I don’t know if there’s a story behind the quiet or not,” Tejal continued. “When my parents took on the bounty, they looked into things a bit, but Andra-Media wanted to keep things on the down-low. Maybe Andra was just advised to be quiet too. Or maybe there’s something else going on.”

Trying not to let any of her opinions show, Ellipse shrugged. “I imagine it is the company, like you said before.” She checked her watch, wondering what was taking Focci so long, and then pretended to take a moment to digest everything else Tejal had just said. “By the way, what kind of stuff did you and your parents learn about Elliott Bei? Any top-secret kinds of things?” To play up her innocence, she let loose a mischievous, gossipy grin and steepled her fingers.

Tejal immediately sighed, exasperated. Rolling his eyes, he shifted in his chair and set his chopsticks on the bowl’s rim. “Seriously? Are you asking me for celebrity gossip? You didn’t even know who Elliott Bei was when we met.”

“I like to know secrets.”

That earned her a glare, but Tejal relented anyways. “Fine. Here’s what I know. Elliott Bei disappeared from the Andra-Media satellite where she and Andra had been living. Plans were in the works for Elliott to be slowly introduced as a second universal media star, since she was nearing the age Andra had been at the debut, though it was certain she would ever escape her older sibling’s shadow. If you actually paid attention to culture, you’d probably know this.”

Ellipse whistled a little jingle and glanced up at the smooth, chrome ceiling, keeping up her act of shameless ignorance.

“As for things that people don’t generally know, I guess I would mention that there were originally plans to consider Elliott’s disappearance from the missing child angle instead of a criminal one.” Tejal picked up his chopsticks again and poked at his food. “But because she was—what, fifteen?—the company decided she was old enough to deliberately cause Andra-Media harm, and that leaving was her way of doing so. I guess she broke some kind of contract.”

“Contracts with minors are not legally binding,” Ellipse said automatically.

Tejal just picked up a tofu cube. “Maybe it was a contract with the Bei parents, or with Andra. Either way, that’s what I know.” He stuffed the tofu into his mouth and shuddered, then glanced up at the Conics. “What’s taking Focci so long? I know you hung the ropes before landing.”

On cue, a loud smack echoed from the ship’s cargo hold. Then, after a few seconds of flopping and smacking, Focci appeared at the mouth of the hold, snout wrinkled and black eyes bulging. His gills flared in a perfect arc around his head.

“Is he angry?” Tejal asked through a mouthful of tofu.

“Very.”

When Focci sang, his voice was shrill and reedy, and it came out as a mix between a whisper and a shriek. “That was hecking awful,” he spat. “Andra is supposed to release poetry, not gibberish. I feel attacked. Alienated.”

Good, Ellipse thought. That was the whole point of this album. She made a show of frowning sympathetically, and gave Focci a friendly tap on his nose once he slid down the cargo ramp. “I am sorry,” she sang. “We should go pick up the next shipment. The Sauron fold monitor is a big place, so you will have plenty of time to complain to me.”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
760 Reviews


Points: 31396
Reviews: 760

Donate
Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:01 pm
ExOmelas wrote a review...



I was going to do an intro line as usual but:

She could jam her tofu-filled chopsticks down Tejal’s throat, which would force him to get some protein for once but might also result in injury and trauma

Yayayay we're doing the making Tejal eat thing!

“Peppers and oil do that. Get over your weird blue food and start eating like an earthling.”

I was about to say that Jupiter's probably brown-ish and brown is natural but haha makes sense.

Ah, so much better.

That should probably be in italics because it's the direct words of a thought.

You didn’t even know who Elliott Bei was when we met.”

Wait, really? Ellipse seems to have been a fan of Andra for a while. I would have thought if some big news happened about her family she would have heard about it.

If you actually paid attention to culture, you’d probably know this.”

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. I dunno, I think that explanation either needed to be the sentence before my previous nit-pick or just sooner afterwards than it is. Oh wait, she was pretending not to know? Okay, maybe Tejal should just be more surprised in general like, "How can you be an Andra fan and not know who Elliott Bei is?"

Good, Ellipse thought. That was the whole point of this album.

But she hasn't even heard it yet... What don't I know? Gahhh something's being hinted at but I can't figure this out! I think this is praise, btw, I realise it might not sound like it.

Overall:

This is a lot of time to talk about tofu and an album for. Since this seems to be a side plot, would it not make more sense for their main mission to get in the way and them talk about this kind of stuff every so often while doing other things? Filler chapters can be fun, but you had some very very suspenseful momentum built up at the end of the last chapter which is kind of diluted by this.

It would also mean that it was more subtle. I'd be thinking about the fold generator because that's the big important thing and the wondering of what was going on here would build up as a gradual itch. That said, that's pretty much what you've done so far with this stuff and it's been going well, hence I'm so frustrated to still not fully understand what's going on. I think this is maybe a small break with very good work, if that makes sense.

That being said, this chapter was very very fun to read and if you want to leave it the way it is I doubt any readers would complain. I'm just showing you the ways that I think it could be optimised, but if you enjoy the way it is and it's a filler chapter on purpose, then honestly I think that's fine.

Hope this helps,
Biscuits :)




Ventomology says...


Oh, the album is pretty important later on. We'll get there though. No worries!



User avatar
1735 Reviews


Points: 91980
Reviews: 1735

Donate
Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:28 pm
BluesClues wrote a review...



Alienated. I see what you did there. (I also liked Oval.)

“That is no excuse for bad nutrition. Being in a wheelchair does not mean you are incapable of being a strong, healthy individual, and it does not excuse you from developing good habits.”

Finally, Tejal thrust out his hands, palms up, and looked away. “Fine,” he snarled. “Pick on the kid in the wheelchair. Just give me your gross tofu already.”


"Fine, pick on the kid in the wheelchair," says Tejal, ignoring the fact that what Ellipse said was basically the opposite of picking on.

(To be fair to him, of all the earth things she could feed him...tofu is kind of not the best, even a little bit. I don't hate it, but...it's...it's tofu.)

I really liked the details about Andra's new album and the old albums - how there were lyrics, yes, that earthlings and other species with similar languages enjoyed, but then the music spoke to the sirens rather than just providing accompaniment. That's a beautiful duality that would have made the old music just completely amazing. It's a shame this is a book so I can't hear any of it. I'm curious as to whether the "gibberish" is literal gibberish - nonsensical, noises without real meaning (a siren equivalent of baby talk, maybe?) - or if it's just strings of words that make no sense put all together.

“But that looks gross!” he wailed.

Rolling her eyes, Ellipse picked up a cube of tofu and held it in front of Tejal’s face. “Refried beans are more gross, and I still eat those!


Psh. Ellipse. I love you. But you are just so, so wrong. Refried beans are delicious as heck.

Re: contracts with minors aren't legally binding, if the contract was with a parent or guardian, it would be the parent or guardian who would get in trouble when the minor broke contract, not the minor herself. Additionally, this wouldn't be a criminal case at all. Breach of contract is a civil matter. The company could sue the parent or guardian for breach of contract, although the amount of the suit would depend on a) what the company wanted to get out of it and how they could spin that so a judge would agree and b) what the judge decides the company can actually reasonably take. Oh, and whether or not the contract specified any particular amount, of course.

But then also this is space, so I don't know if you've actually thought about how these laws work in your world or if you're just drawing on earth laws. Those are the real-life earth laws, anyway.

I like that we get to find out more about Elliott Bei and Andra-Media in this chapter. It's satisfying after so many hints and very little actual information.

Image




Ventomology says...


Yes, I am keeping breach of contract as a civil case in space (it's a space case, haha), but that is all I shall say for now.

As a Taiwanese child raised on tofu, I will agree to disagree with you on tofu-vs-refried-beans. But as long as you enjoyed the interaction, it's all good.

Thanks so much!



User avatar
299 Reviews


Points: 24185
Reviews: 299

Donate
Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:57 pm
TheSilverFox wrote a review...



“There’s a song about biochemistry and some friend who’s interested in the stuff, but what’s really interesting is what’s not on the album.”


Hmmm, I wonder who the friend might be. :P

Seriously though, this is a pretty good addition to the overall mystery of who exactly is Elliot Bei/Ellipse. I think she's about as good as feigning innocence as I am at lying in a public setting (i.e. poor), and my guess is that Tejal only provides the information he does because he still questions her facade and wants to see her responses. After their conversation, particularly due to the quickness with which she mentioned that a contract with a minor is not legally binding, he has all the more reason to doubt her. Along that line, it appears that Andra is/was sort of a cool older sister (though, considering how infrequently Ellipse seems to acknowledge Andra's existence (beyond the latter's small scope of language skills) I can't really trust this statement), and Ellipse is likely between 15-16 years old. In which case she becomes all the more interesting, given her precociousness. There's still the overwhelming, antagonizing, curiosity-driving question of why she left, though it appears to be to escape from the harsh policies and actions of Andra-Media, who probably have more than a few interstellar shady political deals in their resume. Of course, there's also the question of who she is, as I remember that she once said that Andra doesn't have a sister; I suspect this is also related to the Earth-Titan conflict and Andra-Media's influence. Regardless, this was an informative chapter via the conversation alone, and solid on all remaining counts.

Other than that, I don't have much to say? The pun was glorious, and I'll admit it's still my favorite part of the chapter (except for Ellipse being called Oval, which also made me crack up). Spicy, coagulated tofu really doesn't sound appetizing, if only because I associate the word coagulated with blood and I typically feel faint if I think about that for too long. As such, I can sort of understand Tejal's discontent with it, though he's still being a twit about it. There's also the dissonance between Tejal and Focci's reactions around the anthropocentric (haha, there's another word I haven't had a chance to use before now) new album, which is fitting and also extremely enjoyable to read. All in all: Ellipse's hopes have been realized, Tejal is still a fanboy, and Focci is no longer a fanboy (fansiren?). This was a fun chapter to read from start to finish, as it was both informative and funny, and I look forward to the next one. Well done!




Ventomology says...


God I love tofu so much. That's the whole reason I was looking forward to writing this post. I'm glad you enjoy the direction Ellipse's mystery is going in! It's actually really fun to write.




It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong.
— Voltaire