Words are like drugs

by Radrook

.

Words are like drugs.

They can calm the nervous,

or set them roiling with blood boiling

recoiling and ricocheting

off bone muscle and tendon.

Cause confusion of mind,

contusions via implications,

dazzle the blind

with sarcastic brilliance

of infamous insinuations.

Instigate commotions,

mimic acidic corrosion,

a piercing stab,

or savage bludgeon,

a clawing grab.

Hurl the depressed into a deeper dungeon

of their own despair,

stripped mercilessly bare

to public stare

of life impaired.

Words are like drugs

Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:35 pm
AutoPilot wrote a review...

Good afternoon friend!

Apologies for happy biases in the following review. To begin with, I'm in love with your writing style. It reminds me of many drafts i have saved in dark folders away from judgmental eyes. Reading your verses is like body surfing in the ocean on a windy day, Your first line is calm and sober but as your poem progresses the power of your words surges like the waves, growing ever more intense until the end. At the end it crashes to a calm by repeating the first verse. I love your word usage, the paired adjectives and actions and use of alliteration in parts really appeals to me.

When I first began reading, it momentarily bugged me that some of your verses are capitalized and some are not. But as i read i realized you used that to your advantage in terms of organization. Each capitalized line begins a section of your work, each capitalized line continues that. I rather like it.

Your spelling is impeccable, so good that!

Have a great day and may you never again know writers block

Radrook says...

Thanks for the encouraging words. Your review is very informative and will greatly help me as a writer.

Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:26 pm
DeerInBacPac wrote a review...

Hello, E.E here for a possibly quick review and maybe some utter nonsense! Grim is here as well, drinking hot cocoa and being a slacker. *Grim looks over, glaring* So, lets get started. :smt020

So, to start off this review a few lines here and there are missing commas. Those lines would be "hey can calm the nervous", "or set them roiling with blood boiling", "Cause confusion of mind", "contusions via implications", "dazzle the blind" and "with sarcastic brilliance". A few places need periods but those should be easy to spot! ((almost typed sports! Ewwwww :P)) Anywho, I love how you styled the poem and it flowed very well. ONTO THE MEANING!!!

Now is when I dissect your poem and see if I can't get its meaning right! So, in your poem you are telling us, the reader, that words can hurt, so damn much. They can become something we need, be it nice or bad. These words can be like knives in our back or maybe even sweet candy, relief from the evil in this world. But what you know is that most words are knives. Poised knives.

Overall, I loved the poem and keep up the good work! Happy Thanks- WAIT, MERRY CHRISTMAS, I CAN SAY THAT NOW! OR HAPPY HANUKA I really need to go now Grim has souls to reap and he needs more cocoa. He has a problem, seriously. Cheerio and fruit loops to you!

Radrook says...

Thanks for the review. Will fix the punctuation.

DeerInBacPac says...

No problem!

Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:15 am
StupidSoup says...

Amazing rhyme scheme in the beginning. Trails off and becomes unimaginative near the end.
Still, good work.

Radrook says...

Thanks for the review. How can I make it more imaginative towards the end?

StupidSoup says...

Try sticking to the longer more descript style of verse you started with rather than shortening the lines which is what you did near the end.

StupidSoup says...

Radrook says...

Thanx for the advice. Very much appreciated.

StupidSoup says...

Sorry for the double post. YWS freaked out when I posted this.

Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:14 pm
LakeOfCancer wrote a review...

Love the poem! The one thing I didn't really enjoy was the fact that the letters at the start of a new line weren't capitalized. While it may have distracted me the slightest but, I still loved it the same.It was very deep and heart-felt, something I look for in a poem. I think you did a great job, and I congratulate you! Great job and Keep up the fantastical work!:)

Radrook says...

Thanks for the review.

Maybe my being a victim of barrages of incessant insults helped. LOL!

LakeOfCancer says...

Maybe!XD

Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:13 pm
ellasnotebook wrote a review...

Hello! I really like this poem. I think it perfectly describes the power and addictiveness of words. I really liked the desperation of the middle sections.

One thing I noticed was in this line, "hurling the depressed into deeper dungeons/of there own despair," you wrote "there" when it should be "their".

Suggestion: In the first line, I would replace "nervous" with "nerves", but that's just me.

Have you ever considered doing spoken word poetry? This made me think of that, you might enjoy it.

Overall, I really enjoyed this poem and I appreciate what it meant from my interpretation. Your comparison of words and drugs was accurate, to say the least. I really enjoyed reading it, keep writing!

ella

Radrook says...

Here is the revised version based on the two reviews:

Words are like drugs, calming the nerves

or setting them roiling with blood boiling

recoiling and ricocheting off bone muscle

and tendon

causing confusion and contusions via implications

dazzling the blind with sarcastic brilliance

of infamous insinuations,

instigating commotions, mimicking acidic corrosion,

a piercing stab, or savage bludgeon or

a clawing grab,

hurling the depressed into deeper dungeons

of there own despair,

stripping them mercilessly bare to public stare

of a life impaired via things declared.

Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:54 pm
CocoaCat wrote a review...

Hey there, Radrook, it's your girl Leafpool coming in with a review!
I absolutely ADORE the rhyming in this poem. And no grammar or punctuation mistakes, nice!
I don't know why but I feel that I need to share this; while I was reading this, in my head, the beginning was slow and calm and then around here

¨a piercing stab, or savage bludgeon or
a clawing grab,
of there own despair,
of a life impaired via things declared.¨

I started reading it really intensely and quickly but the last line was really slow and somber again. Again, felt like I needed to share that, still not sure why.
Anyway, great poem, keep writing! :)

Radrook says...

Thanks for the review:

I will see what I can do to fix that last line. To be honest, I had stopped he poem at the previous line and that last came with difficulty and I hesitated in adding it. I think I will remove it since it seems redundant. Thanks!

Radrook says...

-

and tendon

of infamous insinuations,

a piercing stab, or savage bludgeon or

a clawing grab,

of there own despair,

of a life impaired via things declared

Radrook says...

-

and tendon

of infamous insinuations,

a piercing stab, or savage bludgeon or

a clawing grab,

of there own despair,

of a life impaired via things declared

It's easier to come up with new stories than it is to finish the ones you already have. I think every author would feel that way.
— Stephanie Meyer