Hunchback, Vampire and Pedro Garcia : Flash Fiction

by Radrook

The new tenant, Pedro Garcia, banged on the apartment door until the landlord, Mr. Gordon, a man who suffered from a spinal deformity appeared.

“What do you want?” he barked hoarsely.

"You should know what I want,” Garcia, a young, short, dark-complexioned, Mexican-American of strong Mestizo facial features responded.

“But I don't!" the landlord bellowed.

“Mr. Gordon, what did I ask you when I was applying for an apartment?”

“Be specific and cut to the chase dammit!” the hunchbacked landlord shot back.

“OK, I will. Why did you rent me the apartment when I very clearly said that I was looking for a quiet place to live? A place where I could feel safe and get some sound sleep?”

“Why did I say that to you, you ask? Simple! Because this is a place where you can feel safe and get sound sleep. Has anyone here stopped you from getting sound sleep?” he asked, suspiciously jutting his Kirk-Douglas chin and squinting one green eye.

“Don’t play the innocent with me, Mr. Gordon," Garcia immediately responded.

“You know exactly what I am talking about. If you had told me who lives here, I would never have agreed to sign that freakin' lease and given you a deposit."

“I certainly did not mislead you! Have any of my tenants messed with you-eh?”

“Well, directly? No, I can’t say that they have,” Garcia responded sheepishly.

“Then case closed and up your nose with a rubber hose! Bye!”

“No! The case is not closed, Mr. Gordon!” Garcia kept the hunchbacked landlord from shutting the door in his face by pressing on it with his hand.

“Get your fat hand off my door!” the landlord said menacingly.

“I’ll take it off your door as soon as you tell me why you lied, Mr. Gordon. I had a right to know.” Garcia, who strongly resembled Erick Estrada, said squinting a brown eye right back.

“To know what? Dammit! Spit it out already and be done with it. I have other things to do than stand here listening to you griping and whining and bellyaching all morning!”

“Alright Mr. Gordon, I'll tell you why. Very simple! You rented me an apartment next to someone who behaves and looks like some damned vampire.”

“Vampire? Vampire? What vampire? Ohhhhhh, I know who you might mean. You probably mean Vladimir Petrescuvich, the immigrant from Romania. Heh! Heh! Heh!” 

Transylvania? Garcia was about to ask but refrained for the sake of keeping the conversation on an even keel.

“He is more or less a recluse and keeps pretty much to himself.”

“Really? Why is he so pale?”

“Why? Does everyone in your immediate vicinity have to have a suntan? This isn’t San Antonio California, Guadalajara or Chihuahua Mexico Mr. Garcia, you know?”

“No, I’m not talking about just a mild pale. I’m talking about an extremely, abnormal deathly pale similar to a Caucasian cadaver drained of blood. An impossible kind of pale.”

“Gee! I don’t know,  Mr. Garcia. Maybe he has pernicious anemia? Vitiligo? Why? What exactly is it that you are imagining that Vladimir has? As if his paleness were any of your business anyway.”

“Well, how pale a person is becomes my business if whenever we bump into each other in the hallway the person stops and stares at my neck as if he wants to bite and slurp!”

“Vladimir bite and slurp?" Mr. Gordon scratched his pate as if to indicate total disbelief.

"Vladimir hasn’t bitten anyone in this building and he has been living here for a full three months. No one else has ever complained about him staring at them in the way you say he did you. Not only that, but he always pays his rent on time and goes to work every single day at his job as a mortician. He also never--”

“He’s a mortician?”

“Why? You have some personal gripe against morticians?”

“Of course I don’t have anything against morticians, as long as they aren’t as pale as death itself and don’t stare at my neck as if they want to bite and slurp.”

“So why bring this to me? Why not take it to Vladimir himself? You are both adults. I’m sure you can both work this out?”

“Because you rented me the apartment and you are to blame for the situation.”

For a few moments, the landlord stood there as if pondering what Garcia had said, silently shaking his head first in the negative and then nodding in the positive as if weighing the prose and the cons. Then finally, after heaving a deep, tired sigh of resignation:

“Alright Mr. Garcia. Alright! Let’s go upstairs to Vladimir’s apartment and clear up this mess. How does that sound?”

Seeing that Garcia was nervously hesitating he added:

“It’s better than having to move before the lease is up and losing your deposit.”

“I just don’t like getting involved in messed-up situations,” Garcia responded.

“But there really isn’t any situation, Mr Garcia,” the landlord said finally removing the chain-lock stepping outside into the semi-dark hallway and shutting the door behind him.

”But since you insist that there is a situation, then let’s take the matter up with Vladimir personally. What do you say?”

Pedro Garcia hadn't noticed just how hunchbacked Mr. Gordon was when he first applied for an apartment. Mr. Gordon had been seated behind an huge, oaken office-desk and the hunch had been more-or-less hidden. Neither had Gordon shown him the apartment. That task had been assigned to Willie the handyman who ambled with a pronounced limp. So it was with a severe shock that Pedro observed Gordon emerge so hunched. It coordinated too much with the image of his neighbor Vladimir and made Pedro feel as if he had just entered a dungeon of sorts and given the keeper money for renting him a cell.

"Thank you Mr. Gordon, but maybe this isn't such a good idea after all?" Garcia responded nervously.

"Why not? Is it cause you got a good look at my hunchback?"

"No that has nothing--"

"Let me assure you, Mr Garcia, being hunchbacked has nothing to do with being good or evil."

"No that isn't--"

"What do you think? That I'm going to slap you on a torture wrack once we get to Vlad's apartment and let him feast?”  Mr. Gordon grinned, partially exposing some yellow-tinged teeth..

"No I Would--"

"Or that I'm gonna stab you in the back as you walk up the stairs with this?” Mr. Gordon seemed to have whipped out a machete from seemingly nowhere.

"That never--""

“Or maybe set you on fire after dowsing you with this?" Mr. Gordon produced a jug of what Garcia perceived as being gasoline.

"Madre de Dios! Keep the rent money!" Garcia screamed and bolted as Mr. Gordon stood with a broad smile on his face and took a few swigs from the jug full of filtered water.

"Wow! Why do people have to be so skittish?" he mumbled as he ambled back into his apartment where Vladimir greeted him with a brotherly hug.

----

BTW

Please note that if some commas are omitted it's because that's the way I want the character involved to speak. It's part of characterization.

https://www.dailywritingtips.com/showing-not-telli...

Under harrowing circumstances we tend to rush our sentences and pauses come less frequently. Creating grammatical pauses just for the sake of grammar comes across as artificial and self conscious. 

[quote]I had a right to know.[/quote]

Garcia is referring to the right he had to know when he applied for the apartment rental.

Shady wrote a review...

You posted something! Yay! I'm so excited to read it! :D Let's get started...

This sentence is a little difficult to follow. I think it's technically correct, but it causes a bit of confusion for your readers since we are trying to keep up with both the action of the banging on the door and the description of the landlord's deformity. I think it would be an improvement to separate this into two sentences. Maybe something like:

"The new tenant, Pedro Garcia, banged on the apartment door until the landlord appeared. Mr. Gordon was an aging man who suffered from a spinal deformity, and he didn't look at all pleased at the sudden intrusion of his newest client."

Or something. Just helps our brain separate what's going on.

Garcia, a young, short, dark-complexioned, Mexican-American of strong Mestizo facial features responded.

Same for here. The description is fantastic, but it's hard to keep up with it in a dialogue tag. Maybe have "Garcia responded. He was a young, short, dark-complexioned Mexican-American man with strong Mestizo facial features"

Or something like that. I'm not 100% what Mestizo facial features are (which is a fault of mine, not of your writing) so I'm not sure if that's a correct way of putting it -- but just a general suggestion to not have the description in the same sentence as the dialogue tag.

I think you could remove the "OK, I will" and not lose anything from this bit of dialogue. I would assume that a comment like cut to the chase would likely be a bit frustrating, and the "OK, I will" sounds like he's being pretty calm about it and not really cutting to the chase after all. I think you'd be fine to go straight in with the questions.

I think you could find a stronger word here for your dialogue tag than "immediately responded" maybe something like "snapped" would work well since it also conveys an immediate, irritable response.

Hahaha, I know Mr. Gordon is prickly and probably not supposed to be likable, but he's quite the character. This was a hysterical comeback.

“Get your fat hand off my door!” the landlord said, menacingly.

No comma needed here.

the landlord said finally removing the chain-lock stepping outside into the semi-dark hallway and shutting the door behind him.

I would mention the chain-lock earlier in the story. It's not a huge deal, but I was imagining a fully opened door -- especially when Garcia stopped him from closing it. It'd help with mental imagery.

I'd put this in the same paragraph. How it is I thought Mr. Garcia was talking at first, and was wondering why he was saying that Mr. Gordon was insisting there was a situation, when it's pretty clear that Mr. Gordon doesn't see a problem.

Also you missed the period after Mr. in this bit.

That task had been assigned to Willie the handyman who ambled with a pronounced limp.

Hunchbacks, vampires, cripples -- everyone is messed up at that apartment complex, eh? Lol.

Mr Gordon seemed to have whipped out a Machete from seemingly nowhere.

You missed the period after Mr again. Also, machete shouldn't be capitalized -- it's just an object, like knife, dagger, etc. that also wouldn't be capitalized.
~

I didn't mention the omission of commas I noticed because I saw the disagreement in the first review, but I will make a comment on it now. I read the link you provided, and the impression I was getting was word choices and accents to get across characterization, not leaving out punctuation.

Of course punctuation can be a good way to express how the dialogue is coming across -- dashes can be used to convey urgency, ellipses to convey hesitation, etc. And I do understand that you are going for more of a rushed, harried sort of feel by the lack of commas. However, I would suggest using your dialogue tags to make that clearer -- rather than a lack of commas.

Certain word choices you used got across the feel for the different characters and each had a distinct voice -- the commas, however, I would have perceived as being grammatical mistakes rather than characterization if I hadn't read the disclaimer before I started the story. As such, I think it could use improvement -- regardless of how you choose to do that.
~ ~ ~

Overall, I really enjoyed this story! It is humorous, and I enjoy how Mr. Gordon ends up being in league with the vampire at the end. It almost felt like slap-stick humor with the machete and the gasoline at the end, but I can imagine poor Mr. Garcia's distress and it's amusing.

You have good characters as well. They each have a distinct voice and I like how you turned Mr. Gordon into a sort of crazy old man (I guess you didn't say an age but I was getting strong old man vibes) with poor Garcia being uncertain but also unhappy with the situation.

It's just a fantastic bit of fiction -- you give us a good amount of details that keep us interesting while keeping it brief and snappy enough to be good flash fiction. Great job with it!

Sorry if anything I said was discouraging, it was not meant to be so. I am simply giving my opinion in hopes of helping you improve already-good prose.

~Shady 8)

Radrook says...

Thanks for the feedback.

The machete capitalization was because I originally had posted a specific kind of machete and forgot to de-capitalize when I reverted to a regular machete.

Not sure why you are saying that the narrator comments are within dialogue tags since narration isn't dialogue. Care to explain please.

Good point about age indication. I should have indicated it in a more direct way.

I don't consider the sentences you say are hard to follow inherently hard to follow. However, I do like the alternatives you suggest and will definitely try to incorporate that alternate technique into my writing in order to ad variety. Thank you!

No I am not upset about your recommendations. I am here to learn just like everyone else and benefit from the advice I receive if the advice is indeed warranted.

About punctuation being good for conveying different dialogue emotions, good point. Dashes and eclipses can certainly be used to convey interruptions, trailing off of thoughts, and there is certainly nothing wrong with using commas. However, if a man%u2019s wife is being raped and I start punctuating his reaction with comas based merely on grammatical correctness, then it will sound silly and fake. Same applies to extreme fear. That is what I was referring to. People don%u2019t speak that way when under extreme duress and there is nothing wrong on ignoring commas to convey anxiety and quickness of speech.

Another thing I wanted to convey but did not is that the hallway is rather dark and not brightly lit. All those things can add to the story and I originally had included it but it somehow got deleted in the shuffling around to find a balance within the approx 1000 word limit I usually set for the flash fictions. Glad to know that the humor was what came through since that was the effect I was aiming for and not horror. A mestizo look a strong Native American appearance, with high cheekbones, a rather oriental type look. I think I did mention Erick Estrada as an example but he might not ring a bell. Maybe that comment should be made clearer in order t avoid confusing those unfamiliar with how the typical Mexicans look in the USA as well as most of Mexiico.

Shady says...

The reason I put them in "" is to make it clear what was my suggestion for an edit and what was further explanation on my part. It would probably be clear without it, but I suppose that's just a quirk of mine when I'm reviewing to put my suggestions in quotation marks. Sorry if that caused confusion!

Thanks for the clarification about the Mestizo look. I wasn't familiar with Erik Estrada or Kirk Douglas, but I assume that most of your readers would be. I am absolutely terrible at remembering the names of actors. Like I can name about a handful of actors/actresses and beyond that someone names someone and I'm like "huh?" and they go "You /have/ to know this person. They play in this and this and this" and then I suddenly realize who they're talking about lol. I googled both of the examples you listed and I'm almost certain I've seen movies with them in it, but yeah, I'm just bad at that sort of thing.

But I have Mexican American friends (like their parents immigrated to the US, so they've still got strong Mexican genes) so I just imagined them when I was reading and it worked well :) No worries there.

elysian wrote a review...

Hello, here to help to get this out of the green room!

**disclaimer: I will most likely focus on negative aspects more so than positive aspects when reviewing, and this is just to help you grow as a writer! It is totally okay not to agree with something I say! Also, If I repeat anything already said, it's probably because it needs to be changed!**

Grammar:

The new tenant, Pedro Garcia, banged on the apartment door until the landlord, Mr. Gordon, a man who suffered from a spinal deformity, in otherwords he was hunchbacked, finally appeared.

*words,
(I think this sentence is quite the run on, maybe separate some sentences?

he asked suspiciously jutting his Kirk Douglas chin a squinting one eye green eye..

*.

“Don’t play the innocent with me Mr. Gordon," Garcia immediately responded.

*me, Mr.

If you had told me who lives here I would never have agreed to sign that freakin lease and give you a deposit."

*freakin'

“No! The case is not closed Mr. Gordon!” Garcia kept the hunchbacked landlord from shutting the door in his face by pressing on it with his hand.

*closed, Mr.

“Alright Mr Gordon, I'll tell you why.

*Mr.

Well, how pale a person isbecomes my business if whenever we bump into each other in the hallway the person stops and stares at my neck as if he wants to bite and slurp!”

*delete is

“Of course I don’t have anything against morticians as long a they aren’t as pale as death itself and don’t stare at my neck as if they want to bite and slurp.”

*delete a

For a few moments the landlord stood there as if pondering what Garcia had said, silently shaking his head first in the negative and then nodding in the positive as if weighing the prose and the cons.

*moments,
*pros

Alright Mr. Garcia. Alright! Let’s go upstairs to Vladimir’s apartment and clear up this mess. How does that sound?”

*Alright,

“I just don’t like getting involved into messed up situations,” Garcia responded.

*in

“But there really isn’t any situation,Mr Garcia,” the landlord said finally removing the chain-lock stepping outside into the semi-dark hallway and shutting the door behind him.

*Mr.

Mr Gordon had been seated behind an huge oaken office-desk and the hunch had been more or less hidden.

*Mr.
*a huge

"Thank you Mr. Gordon but maybe this isn't such a good idea after all?" Garcia responded nervously.

*Thank you, Mr. Gordon, but

"Let me assure you Mr Garcia, that being hunchbacked has nothing to do with being good or evil."

*assure you, Mr. Garcia,

Gordan grinned partially exposing some yellow-tinged teeth..

*.

"No I Would--"

*No,

*Mr.

"That never--""

*"

"Wow! Why do people have to be so skitissh?"

*skittish

Story:

"one eye green eye" doesn't make sense, maybe say "chin and squinting one green eye"

*given you

“I cerrrrtainly did not mislead you! Have any of my tenants messed with you-eh?”

I think leaving certainly as it's regular spelling would still have the same effect :-)

I had a right to know.

watch your tenses, you're talking in the present, so it would be "I have a right to know."

This is kind of confusing, when did he say something about Transylvania?

This isn’t San Antonio California, Guadalajara or Chihuahua Mexico Mr. Garcia, you know?”

*Mexico, Mr. Garcia,

If this were true, why would he confront the landlord?

ah, interesting ending. I think this was a fun read and I liked how it ended. The dialogue could use some work to make it seem less childish, but then again, that depends what audience you're trying to reach. This would work well as a childrens book honestly, because it isn't crazy gory and it's funny.

Hope I helped someway! Thanks for this fun read.

- Del

Radrook says...

Thanks for pointing out all the typos and punctuation I overlooked.

However

That isn't a run-on sentence.

Why did he get involved despite his general aversion to getting involved? Desperation? Impulsiveness? He is lying in order to get out of danger? I would.

He doesn't have to say anything directly about Transylvania in order for the person to make a connection between Transylvania and Romania. It is common knowledge that Transylvania, where the real Dracula or Vlad the Impaler lived is located in Romania.
https://www.exploring-castles.com/europ ... as_castle/

I guess a child would readily realize that?

elysian says...

I'm sorry if you took offense to anything I said, but as mentioned in my disclaimer, these things are purely my opinion and you don't have to listen to it at all.

Radrook says...

No offense taken. Just providing some feedback to improve reviewing skill.

For example:

Please note that if some commas are omitted it's because tat's the way I want the character involved to speak. It's part of characterization.

Under harrowing circumstances we tend to rush our sentences and pauses come less frequently. Creating grammatical pauses just for the sake of grammar comes across as artificial and self- conscious.

elysian says...

I understand, I just go through and pick out what is grammatically incorrect, understanding some things might be a stylistic choice, but some might be mistakes. Again, that's why I provide a disclaimer.

Radrook says...

Thanks for pointing out the many places where I legitimately needed to fix things.
Much appreciated.

Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:43 am
Radrook says...

BTW
Just because I classify this under horror doesn't mean that I was trying to convey serious horror. It is a comedy/horror mix. More comedy than horror actually. I avoid writing pure horror because I frighten myself when I do. So I only have one that is pure horror and don't enjoy reading it because it gets me nervous. In short, I would rather laugh than cower.

Please also note that this is flash fiction and the words are limited to approx 1000 which means that the addition of one thing means the erasing of something else in order to stay within the genre word limits.

Moo.
— Cow