sand

by momonster

sand

squishes, seeps, pushes

through my toes

when dry

it is hot

burning hot

when wet

it is cold

icky mucky cold

sand

gets everywhere

even in my

behind

sand

gives shells

sand

gives adorable

sandcrabs

sand

gives

happiness

memories

and sand

means beach

i love the beach

and sand

creaturefeature wrote a review...

I've only been to a beach once, and even then it was a frightening experience altogether, so I'm technically underqualified to review this and completely understand. :/

positives

Now, I said I despise the beach as a whole, but beach-like themes are actually really interesting. Beaches are places where people can get together and hang out, which is a huge thing for numerous individuals who appreciate spending time with others.

There are endless possibilities for topics; the water, the fish bathing in the waters, the scorching sun, and countless more. From the title and intestines of this, you picked sand. Sand is quite complex, and when I say it's complex, I mean it's smaller than gravel and still very heavy.

adorable sand crabs

I'm a little bewildered about what a sand crab is? Is it merely a regular crab or something different? I'm getting off-topic though - I really enjoy how you describe them as adorable because it adds individuality and a lighter demeanor to the setting choices.

Ahhh also, I just searched for an image, and they are not adorable in any way.

suggestions

Contrary to the popular opinion on this subject, "squishes, seeps, pushes" isn't doing it for me. It's essentially addressed to the first one in the sequence because squishing doesn't remind me of sand. It creates more of a chewy candy picture in my head.

The verb "seeps" also typically indicates something is leaking gradually through a penetrable material. In the rain, your clothes will get soaked because most clothing is made of permeable items; sand would not be considered that because it's grainy and rough.

"Pushes" could technically work, but pushing demands something provides a force that sand itself doesn't possess as an inanimate, lifeless object. Let's say someone is wandering around and that somehow pushes the sand, that works, but that sounds fraudulent.

And that's all I have to say here ~

Cheers again! <3

momonster says...

Thanks again! i could fight with you about that, but i won't <3

Hijinks wrote a review...

Hi LordMomo! I'm here for the requested #RevMo review ~ since you've already gotten quite a few reviews on this poem and I don't want to be too repetitive, this might be on the slightly shorter side.

First impressions
This is a really cute little poem! I'm noticing a lot of similarities between it and "camping" ~ you've taken a fairly simple concept and written about how it makes you feel, you've used all lowercase capitalization, not much punctuation, very short & disjointed lines, and you end the poem with "i love ____".

Imagery
I agree with some of your other reviewers that the touch imagery you use is lovely, especially near the beginning ("squishes, seeps, pushes" and hot/cold descriptions). But while using the sense of touch can be really effective in poetry, I would suggest trying not to only use it. Right now, the reader knows what sand feels like, but they don't know what it looks like, what it smells like, what it sounds like, or even (a bit of a stretch) what it tastes like. (Of course technically your reader probably does know most or all of those things, but for the sake of the poem it's best to pretend they don't.) So if you sprinkle in some other types of descriptions - maybe how the sand sparkles in the sun, how it crinkles beneath your feet as you walk, stuff like that, - then the reader will really be able to imagine that they're there on the beach with you!

Continuity
I like that you've taken one idea - sand! - and stayed completely focused on it throughout the poem. You mention seashells and crabs briefly, but only in the context of how they're in the sand, so you don't get distracted at all. That's really great for a poem like this, especially one which has the title "sand", since then the reader's expectation is to read about sand ~ and you don't disappoint :)

In conclusion
I like how simple and to-the-point this poem is, and I like that it stays on topic throughout! My main suggestion would be adding some other senses (sight, sound, smell, maybe even taste) to the descriptions so that the reader feels fully immersed. I hope you find this useful, and thank you again for requesting a review!

whatchamacallit

Featuring the wonderful Elfboy's banner!

momonster says...

thanks for the review!

Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:54 am
Riverlight wrote a review...

Hello there, @MomoandAppa! As promised, here's another review!

So, my first impression of this poem is that you give special attention to details when you go to various places, as you displayed in "camping." You've got a knack for the memorization of details.

Like in "camping," there's really a lack in formatting here regarding how your poem is written. However, you have again balanced out your poem by providing an opposite-- in this case, hot and cold.

Have a nice [*insert time of day here*]!!!

momonster says...

thanks for the review!

Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:26 am
starlitmind wrote a review...

Hey there, MomoandAppa! I'm finally here as requested :D I skimmed through the other reviews, so I'll try not to repeat anything someone has already said!

This poem gives me a "cute" feel and vibe, if that makes sense xD I love the simple topic of this poem! It's simple, but I don't mind the simple feel the poem gives off. It almost makes sense in a way, because sand is so abundant and just looks the same. So in a way, your poem is reflecting sand. I really enjoyed reading this! There are some things I would like to mention about this poem. These are just suggestions, so feel free to ignore the, if you don't agree! :)

The first things I would like to mention are line length and stanzas. Your lines are pretty abrupt, and there's nothing wrong with that! But to me, since it gives that abrupt feeling, I don't get the emotion of your love of the sand. Like if this poem was talking about how you hate the sand, the abrupt lines would contribute to that feeling. But since this is about your love of sand, I kind of expected this poem to have a flow-y and easy feeling. You don't have to change your line length if that's what you're happy with; this is merely a suggestion! :)

I also think your poem would benefit from stanzas. Stanzas are nice in making poems easier to read and a bit less intimidating. I'm going to give you one way you could divide this poem into stanzas. I'm also going to play with the line length bit and add some punctuation. Of course, there are so many ways to divide your poem up, so I'm just going to divide it up one way!

sand squishes, seeps, pushes
through my toes

when dry, it is hot
burning hot
when wet, it is cold
icky mucky cold

sand gets everywhere
even in my behind

sand gives shells
sand gives adorable sandcrabs
sand gives happiness, memories
and sand means beach

i love the beach
and sand

small note: the internet says "sandcrabs" should be "sand crabs"

The next thing I would like to mention is punctuation. Punctuation is a stylistic choice, so please feel free to disregard this if you don't agree! :D You only use punctuation in the second line and then not anywhere else. I feel that if you are only going to use it once, you might as well not use it all to remain consistent. Personally, I think the whole poem could use some punctuation, because right now, it's a bit confusing where one thought starts and one thought ends. I would personally use punctuation like commas and periods throughout the poem. If anything, I think a period at the very end of this poem would give this a sense of completion. But again, this is all up to you!

One other thing I would like to mention is imagery. Right now, your language is very straightforward, and I think you could elaborate on the feelings sand gives you more and add more vivid language. I believe you should try to add more imagery throughout your poem, but I am going to point out specific places that I think could use it the most

sand

gives shells

sand

gives adorable

sandcrabs

What kind of shells? What colour were they? What did they look like? Same for sand crabs

sand

gives

happiness

memories

What kind of memories? The reader can't feel the emotions unless you describe them vividly to them :)

There's one last thing I wanted to mention, and it deals with these lines

when wet

it is cold

icky mucky cold

"icky mucky cold" has a negative connotation associated with it, so here I am losing the fact that you enjoy sand. It seems to me that you don't like it and have negative feelings towards it. I would personally change the language to more positive words, but feel free to keep it the way it is!

Overall, I really enjoyed this poem. It's light-hearted and fun! You've been posting a lot of poetry here, and I love reading what you come up with. You're a talented poet, and I'm excited to read more works from you. I hope this helped! :D

momonster says...

thank you! i appreciate the review :D

JoyDark wrote a review...

Hey! You wanted a review, so... I'll do the best I can.

This truly is about sand. It describes the textures of sand, how it feels, where it is, even what lives in it. You have some really good imagery in here. I could really get a sense of what you were describing. I especially like how you focused on touch more than more common senses like, say, sight. A lot of times when people are giving out images, they describe just about what they see. There are four other senses! And touch is a good one. So I'm just glad you used that sense a lot.

I especially likes these words in this line:

squishes, seeps, pushes

Those are great words for touch. Those words took me to the beach, feeling the tiny grains between my toes. So good on that.

Now stuff that I think could be improved in this poem. Personally, I don't really know what the overall tone of this poem is supposed to be. I know it's about sand. That much is very clear. But in which light are you trying to portray it? You describe it both negatively and positively in this poem, and while the positive stuff is near the bottom (roughly) and the negative stuff is near the top (roughly), it still all feels mashed together. I read poems often because of how they make me feel. In this poem, because of the two conflicting tones, I wasn't sure what feeling to focus on, and because of that I finished reading this feeling a little lost. I didn't really feel drawn into this little world you made by using all this imagery, I felt disconnected.

I also felt disconnected because of how you sort of wrote this poem. That line I pointed out earlier? I love that line! Those three words are amazing words! But the rest of the vocabulary in your poem in comparison seems... lackluster. "Icky mucky cold" conveys a feeling very well, but icky and mucky are a little basic compared to "seeping." You could try and find other words that are synonyms to icky that fit your tone instead. I find the same problem with "adorable sandcrabs" (switch out adorable). Even "behind" could be a bit more elegant. Maybe replace it with "swimsuit" or something like that? Describing butts without actually saying "butt" or something a bit more explicit is difficult to do without sounding a little juvenile. (Trust me, it's a problem I've had before too.)

If you wanted to fix your tone so that's it's more cohesive and I feel more drawn in, maybe just focus on portraying your poem topic in one light, either positively or negatively or neutrally. Or split your poem into two stanzas and make one negative and one positive. That would at least help the ideas flow a little better.

Last thing: those last four lines.
and sand

means beach

i love the beach

and sand

I'm sorry. Please hate me if I'm being mean. But I don't like these last four lines. I don't think they do justice to the poem. The other parts of your poem seem at least a bit eloquent or well-written, with a lot of imagery. But then you just come here and say "beach" without describing it at all. It's a step down from the rest of the poem, maybe even two steps down. It seems like the ending of the poem is rushed. Maybe you could describe the beach a bit more, or describe the beach throughout the poem, making that the main focus of the poem instead? These last four lines are probably the most tonally inconsistent thing about this poem. You've said so many things that aren't great about sand, like how it gets too hot or too cold and how it gets into your swimsuit. So why now are you saying that you love it? It's very abrupt and seems forced. Did I miss something? (Because if I did please let me know!)

Overall: I think this is a fine poem. Sand seems like sort of a bland thing until you take a closer look. You definitely took a closer look, examining so many things about something that seems not really that important at first glance. I gave some suggestions, but this is your poem. Do what you will! :D

Thanks for pointing this out to me!

momonster says...

thanks for the review! and i don't hate you, no worries :D

mythh wrote a review...

Hey, I'm back with another review! So... let's get started without further ado.

I felt like this was a huge spray of ideas about one thing you like/hate. I'd suggest maybe sorting it out a little. The idea is there, and so is the foundation. It's the way it's displayed that you need to work on. I mean, it does make sense that your poem is scattered like sand, but it can be just a little more sorted, that's all.

Also, I assume that the fact that there's no capitalization is part of the style intended to be shown. No problem then. Something I like about this poem is the way you've connected the previous idea to the next. That was done well. You could still make it flow smoother. I didn't notice any particular rhythm in the poem, so I'm not going to go into that.

Overall, I think the poem could improve in the areas I specified. Otherwise, it's pretty good and you should express more of your ideas :D

Yours sincerely,
Myth

__|_|__

Others may use my banner:

Code: Select all
[img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/715635114423615549/750281735618428978/My_Post_1.jpg/img]

momonster says...

thanks for the review! :D

Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:58 am
Icon says...

I don't like sand. It's coarse, and rough, and irritating, and it gets everywhere.

momonster says...

YES

Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:40 am
VioletFantasy wrote a review...

VioletFantasy here with the review I promised! This poem may be simple, but it is so beautiful. After reading it, I feel a great need to go to the beach. It is such a wonderful place, and you describe the sand so well! Now, onto some of the specifics.

sand

squishes, seeps, pushes

through my toes

I love the alliteration in this part of the poem. It gives it a great flow and makes it fun to read. Also, words like “squishes” and “seeps” create really vivid imagery. It’s a perfect way to start off the poem!

when dry

it is hot

burning hot

when wet

it is cold

icky mucky cold

This was enjoyable to read because it shows how sand has so many properties and can be anything. Hot and cold are opposites, but sand can be both of these things. One thing that I wanted to mention that might help improve this is adding another word in between “burning” and “hot”. Then, it would match the “icky mucky cold” line and add to the structure. For example, you could make it “burning lava hot”, or something else along those lines.

sand

gets everywhere

even in my

behind

It does get EVERYWHERE. I will find sand in my ears and on my scalp weeks (and many showers) after a beach trip. It’s insane! I’m glad you added this because that is one of sand’s main qualities.

sand

gives shells

sand

gives adorable

sandcrabs

I love digging up shells out of the sand and looking at the cute little crabs. These are some of the best things that sand can offer physically.

sand

gives

happiness

memories

and sand

means beach

i love the beach

and sand

The last part talked about what sand can offer physically, and this part shows what sand can offer us emotionally and mentally. There is something very therapeutic about being on the beach. It’s hard not to be happy and you think of all the memories of past trips.

Overall, this is a lovely piece of art. I am so glad that I got a chance to review it! I can’t wait to read more of your writing in the future. Keep writing! :)

MoonIris wrote a review...

Hi MomoandAppa,
I'm here with a review. You've already received a pretty complete one so mine is going to be shorter. I personally really like sand and the see. Actually nature in general. I think you captured the idea of the sand well. I found two little grammar mistakes.
"sandcrabs"
It should be sand crabs.
"i love the beach"
It should be I or is it a stylistic choice?
I think your poem is very nice. I hope my review helped you and didn't offend you in any way,
MoonIris.

momonster says...

hi! the lowercase is a stylistic choice:D thanks for the reveiw!

Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:27 pm
silented1 says...

I disagree with part of the previous review. I think that the negative parts are in line with the beginning and flow into the end. The change is somewhat abrupt, maybe use the word "despite" and that could really fix it.

momonster says...

ok thanks!

Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:34 pm
anneonomus wrote a review...

Hi! Your description about being "reverse Anakin" really drew me in, mostly because I'm the exact opposite- I hate sand (it's rough and it's coarse and it gets everywhere). I've even written some poems to that sentiment (complete with Star Wars references) for a creative writing course myself, so the concept of someone being "reverse Anakin" intrigues and baffles me.
I think you did a good job of describing sand, though I did wonder about some of the adjectives you used, like "burning", "icky", and "mucky", which to me have very negative connotations and seemed to contrast the general mood of the poem. It might help to change them or to clarify that these more negative sensations are either part of or exist despite the appeal of sand, and explain how and why that is.
I would also love to see you expand on the concepts of "happiness" and "memories" that you mention, perhaps tying them in with the idea of sand getting everywhere- is the coating of sand akin to a coating of happiness? Or do the memories cling to you like the sand sticking everywhere? Moreover, how does the happiness feel, and what memories does the sand hold for you? You could even dip into a metaphorical territory with the shells and sandcrabs you mention, assigning them attributes of your happiness or your memories- for example, if your memory of sand was associated with your childhood, you could describe the sandcrabs as childlike/innocent, or give them actions like playing or frolicking in the sand as you remember yourself doing. (if that makes any sense)
Though I am still bewildered by your ability to love sand (it's my mortal enemy), I really enjoyed this poem, and I think that you've got a lot here that you could nicely expand on. I think if you keep building on this piece about sand, you can make it into a pearl.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask! And don't hesitate to take this with a grain of sand salt.

momonster says...

thank you! i appriciate this :)

One who sits between two chairs may easily fall down.
— Proverb from Romania and Russia