z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

the solstice

by momonster


it has come

the day has come

the shortest day

of the year

                  

the sun goes out

at 4 o'clock

leaving humanity

in darkness

                           

the souls scream

from the pitch

"save us, save us!

the day of doom

is here."

                            

i stand in awe

and fear

at this joining

of the galaxy

                             

what caused this?

who thought this

was a good idea?

i ask the stars

                             

they are quiet

staring at our pitiful

humanity with cold eyes.

our masters do not care

for us

                         

suddenly it stops

the light returns

with beautiful light

of pink and purple hues

                               

i watch the sun

the salvation

rising with a smile

we are saved


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
218 Reviews


Points: 85
Reviews: 218

Donate
Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:13 pm
View Likes
creaturefeature wrote a review...



Ooh, my favourite time of the year ~

I agree with the statement about religion connecting to the solstice, and I believe it shows through in this whole stanza especially:

the sun goes out

at 4 o'clock

leaving humanity

in darkness


It's probably because of the part about "leaving humanity in darkness," which can be taken in the literal form and in the metaphorical form depending on the time and place. I think in historical celebrations of holidays being celebrated now always have this gap between olden days and right now - like evil-doings being associated with practitioners of Germanic and polytheistic religions, the witch trials sacrificing innocent women, etc etc.

The metaphorical darkness could be caused by a newfound fear, a general confusion about these kind of things, or something else entirely. It's a complex thing to capture in many words without a limit in place, and in poetry, it must be even harder.

the souls scream

from the pitch

"save us, save us!

the day of doom

is here."


If I'm being technical because I actually celebrate Yule (the celebration of the winter solstice) and so does my family, the solstice actually symbolizes the opposite of bringing doom to these souls; it is a sign that the sun has been reborn and so have the lost / vengeful / scared / *insert whatever negative adjective here* souls that have been lingering in the dark.

I do understand that the narrator is afraid for some reason and assumes the dark is equal to a day of doom-bringing, and that could be why they believe the souls feel the same way. It works for the atmosphere of a general anxiety about something unknown.

what caused this?

who thought this

was a good idea?

i ask the stars


I like this idea of talking to stars because it feels similar to they way scared people will attempt to seek answers and somehow make themselves feel worse. If the stars were to answer in a way where they give actual information as of why, it wouldn't change the narrator's thoughts because fear does weird things often.

The next stanza find of furthers that with the mention of "cold eyes" because it hints that they might think in similar ways about everything, too.

i watch the sun

the salvation

rising with a smile

we are saved


This is my favourite stanza - I especially like the last line because it shows a development of our narrator figure, and how their thoughts have changed because of the light. It also ties back to the religion, I believe, because good and evil is a long debated subject.

This is really wonderful ~

Cheers! <3




momonster says...


Thanks again!



User avatar
415 Reviews


Points: 31520
Reviews: 415

Donate
Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:06 pm
View Likes
keystrings wrote a review...



Hello there! I’m back for your second requested review.

As the other poem you linked contains formatting (i.e. italics) I would encourage to use that same idea here, to distinguish between thoughts/actions of the speaker and give the reader a bit of a nuance when it comes to certain lines of this poem. Mostly I would say to italicize "what caused this? / who thought this was a good idea ?" as I was a bit confused when reading over that stanza and who was speaking/thinking those words.

There's plenty of religious/ritualistic/other-worldly-ness about solstices -- I'm guessing this is the winter solstice, judging from "4 o'clock" being dark already, and so that definitely already adds to this overall idea of what the changing of seasons could represent in peoples' minds, or what shorter days represent, and else things like that.

I am a bit confused as to what this is supposed to mean in the context of the poem, as the comments/screams from the mentioned "souls" I imagine are the speaker's neighbors/people nearby them, but the fear they feel towards the solstice feels like it belongs back in the Middle Ages, or a prominent time of fear towards anything unknown or not understandable.

For the context, then my suggestions for this might be a bit different, but I have a couple of general ones. I would make note of how long time has passed, maybe some kind of action occurring between the passage of time here, as we're really only given the fact that night has fallen and then the sun rising again, as well as some other description, perhaps using the speaker's other senses to help place them standing outside/inside/wherever and witnessing this event occur in real time.

This is a plenty good, dramatic retelling of what a solstice is, in a general sense. I think the short stanzas/lines work well here as this builds up the tense mood, this nervousness that the speaker feels along with everyone else. Commas/punctuation could help piece together which lines are meant to flow into each other, but that's more up to you.

This was an interesting read! I liked it though and I hope this helped!




momonster says...


Thank you!



User avatar


Points: 256
Reviews: 1

Donate
Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:02 pm
View Likes
josierae says...



Love this piece so much. Great job with it.

I don't see much that needs changing, it honestly hit home with me and I really enjoyed reading it.

Keep up the great writing, I would love to see more of your work.

Merry Christmas!




momonster says...


Thank you@ Merry Christmas!



User avatar
15 Reviews


Points: 84
Reviews: 15

Donate
Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:27 pm
View Likes
AndyS6 wrote a review...



I like your poem.

Some of the stanzas seem somewhat blocky in the sense that the words themselves do not flow cleanly. Maybe changing some of wording and using different words would give it a clearer flow throughout the poem.

I also think adding commas to the end of different lines will help the reader find where the flow is. The commas will allow the reader to know where you intent on the flow to be where the: pauses, stops, and continuations are.

Just two things to keep in mind while writing poetry to help with flow.

Otherwise I think the poem is really good! :)




momonster says...


Thank you!




"If I see an American in real life or a kiwi in a blockbuster, it feels surreal and weird, and like a funny trip."
— SirenCymbaline the Kiwi