Second chance

by niteowl

You kissed me as we danced one summer night
Strong arms kept me from falling down
You said my eyes were lovely as the moonlight
and I hoped you'd always be around

But you wanted skyscrapers instead of stars
and I only saw my future here
The last night, before you got in your car
I was crying as you pulled me near
and said 

[Chorus 1]
 "Don't forget me" as if I ever could,
Thought we'd have a magic ending like Hollywood
You were the greatest love of my life so far 
But big city dreams broke my small town heart 

You struck it rich, the world was now yours to own
I had a ring and a man so true 
On my wedding day, you snuck in the back row
Because you were missing me too

At the reception you asked for one last dance
Your arms pulled me close once more
You asked forgiveness for breaking our romance 
And whispered in my ear like before 
saying...

[Chorus 2]
"Don't forget me, because I never could,
Glad you have your magic ending like Hollywood,
I still haven't found a love like yours so far
City girls ain't got nothing on your small town heart"

I had two kids with him, forty lovely years
Then cancer made me a widow
Your two divorce trials confirmed your worst fears
Couldn't stand the city all alone

You came back to town, wondered if I forgot 
How sweet it was when you were mine
But you picked me up, and we went to our spot
And kissed like it was the first time

[Chorus 3]
Now we won't forget and now we really could 
Have a magic ending sweeter than Hollywood
Big city dreams of riches took you so far
But you can't buy nothing like our small town hearts

Even with weaker arms we still like to dance
And you still love my moonlight eyes
So glad we could have this second chance 
A first love that refused to die 

Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:01 pm
StudentAH says...

Oh my, what nice lyrics these are! Its kind of cliche but I like it that way. :)

Jordanavitch says...

Depending on the sort of music this is going to be put to these could work, they sound as though they are for a standard pop song, by no means Bob Dylan!

Rydia wrote a review...

Hello! I don't recall if you asked for a review on this, or if I picked it out at some point while looking for things to read, but wither way it has made it on to my list and is the last in my queue to review! Don't you feel special ;)

1. The first stanza doesn't capture me. There's nothing that screams original, just kissing at night and references to moonlight. What makes these two people different from everyone else? What's unique about them? Do they have a spot where they kiss, under the bridge or at the old playground? Give us something that will plant an image in our mind and that will add a personal touch to this romance.

2. I love the first line of stanza two. In fact, I like pretty much everything about stanza two - it's fluid and it paints a solid picture. Very nice.

3. You need another syllable in that second line of the chorus. Something as simple as 'a magic ending like in Hollywood' is good and would give you the right emphasis.

4. I'm not sure about line three and the suggestion there's going to be another love. Where's the certainty that this guy was the one or could have been? I find that a slightly odd line and it really comes out of nowhere and kind of breaks me out of the song.

5. I don't think you need the 'now' in line one of stanza three. It's a little disruptive. The rest of that stanza works and now I kind of get that previous line, but I'm still not sure if I like it. I like that she has found another man but do you need to hint about it before? I don't know.

6. Stanza four works nicely!

7. Woah. Stanza five is far too rushed! You have too much going on and don't give us a chance to get to grips with any of it. I think you need to spread that over two stanzas instead so you can move us through it more gently.

8. The sixth stanza is a little flat and uneventful. I'd like to know more of their reunion. Does he bring her a present? Or does his hand still fit the small of her back? Kissing at their 'spot' is too vague and could, again, reference any couple. I want to feel the personalities of this small town girl and the town boy turned city man.

The ending is sweet and I liked that it went full circle. Generally this had a really nice story to it and followed through well, but it felt like it could have been just a little longer or more fleshed out in places. I liked that it wasn't the typical romance though and that it took them time to come back together, but they never lost sight of one another along the way. A very nice storyline!

Hopefully this gives you a few ideas - keep it up and feel free to ask questions.

All the best,

Heather xxx

Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:08 am
LifeUnknown wrote a review...

It's really good. There was really one thing that really bothered me. I don't want to repeat whats already been said, so that leaves one thing.

You only label the chorus. And in songs there is, an intro, verses, choruses and outros/codas. (Pre-choruses and bridges too. Though those aren't always needed).

That is my only problem, it helps me understand the song better. Other than that I enjoyed your lyrics.

If you have questions about this review, just ask.

-LifeUnknown

Laminated wrote a review...

This is beautiful. It tells a story like a true country song. Some of the phrases you use I absolutely loved, like "Big city dreams broke my small town heart." In all, fantastic job.

You might want to be careful on a couple lines where you use cliches ineffectively. For example, "A man so true," just does not feel right. Also, the line that says, "Your two divorce trials confirmed your worst fears," seems very unmoving for something very sad. Maybe something along the lines of, "Two divorces made cracks in your soul." I understand that doing that would mean having to rework the rhyming sequence, though. Just a thought.

So, yeah, basically, like GeeLyria said... this is magical. And I think hearing it sung would be an absolutely amazing experienced. If you ever get it recorded or produced, please notify me :P

Thanks so much for sharing!

Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:01 pm
GeeLyria wrote a review...

Niteowl, hi!

Geez! I am almost never in a romantic mood, but this gave me goosebumps and all. >.< Thing is that not only this song is about two people who love each other but it's about these couple who live in reality, not in the ninth cloud.

If someone asks me to describe your piece with one word, I'd say magical. Because even though I am reading and not listening, I feel the melody as I read. The narration is really touchy, and I love how you altered the choruses in clever ways because that keeps the reader from getting bored.

However, I find this verse to be quite different when you compare it with the other ones:

Heard the knock on my door, had to let you in
Thinking of what I need to say
But you kissed me instead and said "Let's begin
To reshape our youthful love today"

And that's probably because I consider it to be the part everyone is waiting for, and I expected it to be a little bit more shocking (verbally, lol). What I mean is that the wording is pretty common, perhaps you can find a better way to express what you said, I think that would be appreciated.

There's my grain of sand. I hope I've expressed myself correctly. However, feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

~GeeLyria

niteowl says...

Yeah I see what you mean, I'll look into reworking that stanza. Thanks for reviewing and glad you liked it!

Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:45 pm
musicgirl5001 wrote a review...

Alright so this is my first review and forgive me if I don't say that much. Ok so I really like these lyrics. I am a big fan of love songs, so these lyrics are really awesome. You must have a very good inspiration for these lyrics. There is no grammatical corrections, but I think you should add a little more to the song. For some reason I already got a tune for this song in my head. And just wondering would you want this song to be like a slow ballad or kind of a fast paced song. I was just wondering because it seems like a fast paced song to me. So that's pretty much it.

Peace,
musicgirl5001

niteowl says...

Hi musicgirl and welcome to YWS! I appreciate all comments, especially lyrics as they don't get much love. That's interesting that you thought it was fast paced, since I had it pegged at slow to mid-tempo. Glad you liked it!

Irrigation of the land with seawater desalinated by fusion power is ancient. It's called 'rain'.
— Michael McClary