I Can't Save You

by niteowl

You're gambling with your life
Abusing all your time
I hate to watch you burn
But you never seem to learn
Oh no

I've said all I can say,
you're not listening anyway,
so I'm gonna let it go
and try to live my life
You know

I won't fight you anymore, anymore
Because I can't save you,
I can't save you, no

You climb into the sky
And swear that you can fly
But it hurts you in the end
I don't wanna watch again

You'll wake up from this dream
And it's my name you'll scream
But this was your mistake
So I won't take the blame
Oh no

I won't fight you anymore, anymore
Because I can't save you,
I can't save you, no

When it comes to your life
You can't fall for the lies
When it comes to your health
you gotta fight for yourself

I won't fight you anymore, anymore
Because I can't save you,
I can't save you, no

A/N: I did a QUICK (aka not very good and I don't have the best voice to begin with) recording so you have an idea of what this sounds like: http://vocaroo.com/i/s0Q4fCF5RjWy

Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:04 am
GeorgiaMasonIII wrote a review...

I have been in this situation and have written...basically this song. (And I think you did it better than I did.) I would have liked a few more details about the individual the song is about, but other than that, the story comes across really well. If I absolutely had to choose something to suggest changing, I would edit the rhyme scheme in the first pre-chorus ("I've said all I can say...you know"). In the second pre-chorus, you have an AABB rhyme scheme, but in the first pre-chorus, you have AABC. So I might change one of them so they have the same rhyme scheme.

Well done, and keep writing!

StarGazer wrote a review...

Hello! I don't write song lyrics (though not for any lack of trying), so take this with a grain of salt. I really liked all the rhyming in this piece. Often times songs get away with no rhymes or half rhymes because they're lyrics and so they can do that. You, however, did rhyme and did it well. The only line that feels even slightly forced is "And it's my name you'll scream". The wording of that line is a bit uncomfortable, only because of how obvious it is the rhyme was forced. Beyond that, I really love it. I couldn't listen to the recording, so it might be broken, but I can imagine how it would be sang. I'm probably totally wrong, but who knows? Excellent job, and maybe try to post the recording again? I'd love to hear it!

cindy2000 says...

i enjoyed reading your poem and there was a lot of emotion in it, it made reflect on what exactly a person can do to save their loved one

niteowl says...

Thanks! Yeah, it's hard to be in a situation where a loved one (in this case a very close friend of mine) is self-destructing and you want to help, but often you end up codependent and self-destructing yourself in the process.

Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:33 am
felistia wrote a review...

Hi niteowl, Felistia here with a review for you on this wonderful day. :D

Meaning: I really like the emotion you put in this lyric's words. You explain in the first stanza that the person singing the song really loves this other person that's wasting their life. In the next stanza you explain that the narrator's tried to reason with this other person, but this person's just not listening, so his going to get on with his life. Then you basically explain how the narrator feels with a whole lot of beautiful lyrics. It was very moving for me and was something that I could relate to. :D

Rhythm: The poem had a really smooth flow to it and I loved the rhyme scheme. You had an interesting lay out for the rhymes so that they were all over the place and yet they really worked. :D

Title: The title really works for the lyric and resonates what you are trying to say in the lyric. :D

Grammar and Punctuation: I had only one problem with this poem. First off this is probably just me, but I don't really like the repeat of anymore in your poem.

I won't fight you anymore, anymore
It disturbs the flow for me.

Overall it was a great lyric and I look forward to the next one. Never stop writing and I hope you have a great day\night. :D

Your friend, Felistia. :D

A thing of beauty is a joy forever; its loveliness increases...
— John Keats