z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

I Need to Say No

by niteowl


He went down on one knee
On a beach in Hawaii,
And I said yes with glee
When I saw that giant ring.

Now it's heavy on my hand
When I should feel grand,
And when we look at bands
I don't know if he's the man.

I said yes to the dress,
yes to the venue,
yes to the perfect first dance song.
Got what I wanted,
all that I dreamed of,
so why does it feel so wrong?
I said yes to everything,
but maybe I need to say no.

I should want to be his wife
For the rest of my life.
In happiness and strife
We would vow for all of time.

But now I'm wondering
If that's really for me.
Is this monogamy
All that it's cracked up to be?

I said yes to the dress,
yes to the venue,
yes to the perfect first dance song.
Got what I wanted,
all that I dreamed of,
so why does it feel so wrong?
I said yes to everything,
but maybe I need to say no.

I couldn't tell you why on earth I want to leave,
Because the truth is he gives me near everything.
I guess I wanted to believe in destiny,
But I don't see us making it past the wedding.

Doesn't matter in the end
How much money we can spend.
I don't think I can mend
This love and I can't play pretend.

I said yes to the dress,
yes to the venue,
yes to the perfect first dance song.
Got what I wanted,
all that I dreamed of,
but now it all feels so wrong.
I said yes to everything,
but now I need to say no,
yeah, now I need to say no.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
624 Reviews


Points: 3571
Reviews: 624

Donate
Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:54 pm
Casanova wrote a review...



Heya, Niteowl! Casanova here to do a review.

I'm always ecstatic whenever I see lyrics posted- and this was a good set of lyrics! But I'm going to review it verse by verse, so let's get to the review!

He went down on one knee
On a beach in Hawaii
And I said yes with glee
When I saw that giant ring


Aye, so you start off strong here- but one thing bugs me. What style is this? I read it in a sort of hip hop vibe, and that just seemed a bit odd to me, so what style is this? It's hard to judge the flow of the song- lyrics are really hard to judge written, so I would like you to tell me. If you're up for it try recording your song and posting it either with the work or on your wall- this would help a ton. Anyway, onward.

Now it's heavy on my hand
When I should feel grand
And when we look at bands
I don't know if he's the man


Here's something every poem writer and song writer worries about- forced rhymes. It's hard to get a rhyme scheme, and keep it going, without it seeming forced. For this I would say don't worry about the rhyme- every line doesn't have to rhyme. Anyway, onward.

I said yes to the dress,
yes to the venue,
yes to the perfect first dance song
Got what I wanted,
all that I dreamed of,
so why does it feel so wrong?
I said yes to everything,
but maybe I need to say no


I really like these lines, and the fact they seem to have a good flow without rhyming is refreshing. Nothing to critique here, so onward.

I should want to be his wife
For the rest of my life
In happiness and strife
We would vow for all of time


I would say ditch the line,"in happiness and strife" for rhyme reasons. This isn't consistent with your previous rhyme scheme's, so either change it up, or drop it, is my opinion. Anyway, onward.

I couldn't tell you why on earth I want to leave
Because the truth is he gives me near everything
I guess I wanted to believe in destiny
But I don't see us making it past the wedding


I really like these lines, so props for that.

I'll stop nitpicking now. Anyway, all in all you have a decent set of lyrics with a decent flow, that could use some work in the rhyme department and how you word things. What I mean by this is how your verses sound- in some instances it sounds rather upbeat and chipper, in others it sounds dramatic and sad. But in its entirety it's rather decent.

That's all I have to say about this one, and I hope it helped.

Keep on doing what you're doing, and keep on keeping on.

Sincerely, Matthew Casanova Aaron




niteowl says...


Thanks for the review! Yeah, I think the first verse rhyme came more naturally, and I can see how trying to keep it throughout the whole thing led to some forced choices (like I hate life and strife when I review, haha). I might rethink the rhyming.

As for the style...uh, it definitely isn't hip-hop, but I don't really know what genre it is. I almost posted a recording, but I'm super self-conscious about my voice and I haven't been feeling well so that'll have to wait. Maybe I will after I do some revision and I'm feeling better! Thanks again!



User avatar
94 Reviews


Points: 3571
Reviews: 94

Donate
Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:36 am
deleted868 wrote a review...



Wow. This is really good! Your rhyming is really well done, and your theme is nicely developed in this. I like the first person view in this, rather than any others, because I love getting that true connection with the character from the beginning of the song, and not later on. I love reading people reflecting on their lives and such, so I'm definitely loving these lyrics!

One thing I notice in this is that the rhyme sequence kind of changes from each part of the song - first it's AAAB, then AAAA, and the chorus is a lot different, which I admittedly didn't really expect. I'm not saying that it's a bad thing to have different patterns, but I got way too distracted trying to figure out what you were trying to rhyme in the chorus. I like the distinction, but I found it a little weird how different the sections are from each other.

Another thing I noticed is that besides the fourth verse-thing, the only time you used punctuation was the chorus. If you like having some commas and all that, then I would like to recommend you add in a few to your verses, to make the ideas flow better, just like they do in your chorus. I'm curious as to why you only included it in certain parts, and sorry if it seems obvious. I'm not a huge reader of songs and all that, so apologies in advance if it's just be being ignorant about patterns in song writing.

Two lines I have a little issue with are "when I should feel grand" and "I couldn't tell you why on earth I want to leave." The former I feel that this line seemed to be restricted to trying to rhyme the idea, but to me, it's kind of flat, maybe because the count of syllables is a lot fewer than the previous line, and it doesn't work that well. Even if it was like "at the time I should feel grand," since it adds in a couple of needed extra words to not make the line seem really short or kind of sudden. I'm sorry if this doesn't make any sense.

I'm kind of perplexed with the latter, because I can't tell if that's the right tense or not. I think it would make more sense if you change "couldn't" for "can't" as I would now for sure that you're still speaking in the present tense. With a word like couldn't, I don't automatically think that it's present tense, but with can't, I can quickly realize that the tense is being continued. I hope that made sense. If not, then it's fine if you leave your poem like this.

Overall, I really like this poem! You formatted this really well, and I just love your ideas in this. Hope this review helps!




niteowl says...


Thanks for the review! As for the rhyme scheme, I was going for AAAA with some slant rhyme, but it doesn't seem like it came off well. As for the punctuation thing, I just have this weird tendency to ignore it in songs, but then I put it in some parts here. I will definitely fix that. As for the "couldn't/can't" thing, I think it fits grammatically but I can see how it might be unclear. Thanks again!



deleted868 says...


You're welcome! Your rhyming was way better than mine will ever be, so at least there's that, haha. XD. The punctuation thing is totally okay. You're welcome again!




The adjective should reinvent the noun.
— Leslie Norris