Never Said Goodbye

by niteowl

I've been listening to someone else's playlist,
'cause who really needs their own taste anyway?
Her voice scares away all the monsters in my bed,
But the way that she lies makes me wish that I was dead.
Don't know when she tells the truth,
And I don't know what to do.

Oh but her hair is gold
like an old cliche
and her eyes are blue
as a summer day
and I don't know why
but she walked away
and she never said goodbye,
no she didn't even try.

'cause who really needs their own voice anyway?
She still sings along like a monster in my head,
But the way that she left makes our love taste like lead.
There was venom in her kiss,
Yet there's still so much I miss

Like how her hair was gold
like an old cliche
and her eyes were blue
as a summer day
and I don't know why
but she walked away
and she never said goodbye,
no she didn't even try.

I've been listening to a brand new playlist,
'Cause who really needs those old songs anyway?
My voice scares away all the monsters in my bed
And I don't need her lies when I've got a life instead.
Now I recall just a trace
Of that disappearing face.

I think her hair was gold
like a old cliche
and her eyes were blue
as a summer day
And I don't know why
but she left my brain
and I never said goodbye,
no I didn't even try

A/N: If you're feelling particularly masochistic today, you can check out this crude acapella recording I did. I know my voice sucks, but it gives you a rough idea of what it sounds like in my head. https://soundcloud.com/nkz_137/never-said-goodbye

Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:43 am
OMGhamsterdweeb wrote a review...

Hey, niteowl! OMGhamsterdweeb is here to review your song!

Well, I have to say, the lyrics are good. The structure of the song is good too, so I'll pat you on the back for that.

HOWEVER (sorry about the caps, it's to emphasise that I have raised my voice), this song is really, really, really, really repetitive. I mean, it's okay to repeat some things, like the chorus (obviously) and maybe one of the verses, but the words in each of the verses sound the same the whole way through.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but it's true.

Overall, this piece is great and I enjoyed reading it... if that makes sense.

Swagilicious huggles from OMGhamsterdweeb 8)

niteowl says...

Thanks for reviewing. I see what you mean about it being repetitive. Others said that too. My reasoning was to keep the rhythm of each verse the same, but I see how the words are too similar. I don't know if I'll change this, but I'll keep it in mind for the future. Thanks again!

Rapunzel321 wrote a review...

I really enjoyed this. I've always tried to make up my own lyrics but I was always unsuccessful. The part about this that impresses me the most is that you actually have a tune for it. When I heard you sing it, it made me smile and it made me want to sing along. I've never been able tot create a beat for the little bit of lyrics I have so congrats to you. <3
I really think that the more you write down lyrics the better you'll get. There is always room for improvement but this song really makes me want to bop my head along and sing.

Mon May 26, 2014 5:27 am
StealTheWorld wrote a review...

I like the tune and everything, but the lyrics sound a little too repetitive. Every other verse, you only change a few words around to make it different from the rest.

Also, what's the difference between the first and second verses? There's no transition from mood A to mood B, but then there's a pretty big difference between B and C. I think, if you rewrite the second verse to sound less "oh-I-miss-her" and more "I think I need to move on" then it would improve greatly.

I like the last chorus, especially how the narrator seems to have really moved on--so much so that they hardly remember what the girl was like.

Also, the playlist idea is great. Keep that forever, Kay? :p

This was pleasurable to read, and with the adjustments i mentioned earlier, it should make a great piece. :) happy writing!

Always,
DarkHeart

P.S. You should try playing it with these chords: C G Am F
You might have to adjust the key a bit (I don't remember) but I think it'll sound cool ;)

niteowl says...

Thanks for the review! I see how it's kind of repetitive. I would normally have a bridge to break things up, but I couldn't think of much. And if I had an instrument, I would totally do that (I'm probably buying a keyboard for unrelated reasons).

That's alright :) It's not too overwhelmingly repetitive, so don't worry about it!

Hey, Knight Nite!

I always feel like I'm missing the biggest part of the piece when I review lyrics 'cause I can't hear the music. Even if the words seem pretty unimpressive on paper, they can take on new life with a melody, so always keep that in mind~ haha.

That said, I felt like this song moved through really predictable steps -- together to pining to getting over her. I felt like the chorus, too, was cliche even as it mentioned a cliche. There's just nothing really new here for me to connect with, and it moved too quickly through the steps, so I didn't get to see the growth of the character enough to believe they'd be okay so quickly.

Maybe adding a bridge between the second and third section would help give a little bit more credibility to the last section?

I think the biggest problem might be that all the verses fit the same form and so not a lot of new words or new ideas come out except just the fact that it was reversed from the first.

I will say, however, that I really like the idea of listening to someone else's playlist, and I think you could work with this image, maybe in another way.

Hope these thoughts are helpful to you. >_<
PM me or reply to this review w/ questions or comments and we can talk more!
Good luck and keep writing!

Hannah

niteowl says...

Well, now you've got my lovely voice. Boom! What Lady Hannah wants, Lady Hannah gets. :P

Just for the record, this is maybe the fourth time ever I've gotten a hard-hitting review for my lyrics. Not saying I don't appreciate it, but it's weird.

You're right about the bridge. I just couldn't come up with anything not-lame and I wanted it up for Review Day. I was really excited about this song because the playlist bit has LITERALLY been in my head for MONTHS and I finally got an idea for it and a neat tune.

I also think I got stuck with the verse form because of the songwriting course I took from Coursera. Keeping the verse structure the same is probably the one concept from that I've held onto. But with this one I think I repeated just a tad much, maybe because I really liked the monsters bit.

I need to go back to hating everything I write. :P Thanks for reviewing! :)

Hannah says...

No don't hate everything you write, haha. Look at this. I love the words when you have them in a song. xD It totally works with a melody, and with the melody the repetition of the verse helps to move the story through without losing any bits of it -- it helps us remember the previous steps! Haha. MUSIC IS IMPORTANT PEOPLE. THANK YOU, Nite.

myjaspercat wrote a review...

Well, the beginning stanza of these lyrics seem like it was a bit rushed. I didn't really care for it either. Your lyrics seemed almost like a poem in my eye. You really repeated the same 2 stanzas over and over making it really hard to want to finish reading. There were really only a few changes making the lyrics not that interesting. I don't really know what else to say but good luck and continue writing.

niteowl says...

Thanks for commenting. I added the tune, so I don't know if that changes anything. I see how it's kind of repetitive, but I don't really know how to change it.

myjaspercat says...

I know that sometimes it is hard to create song lyrics. It takes time and patience. Good luck

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
— Thomas Edison