z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

[Review Contest] Queenstar Chapter 2

by BluesClues


All right, reviewers, enjoy this snippet from a "novel" written by baby BlueAfrica back in 2005. (Oh, my.) Happy reviewing!

A/N: In chapter one, ten-year-old Andumiel overhears her father and godfather arguing about something to do with the armed forces. Before she can learn more, her mother enters and sends her out of the room.

Andumiel ran through another hallway and out of the palace. She didn’t stop until she reached the palace gardens. They were wrought with soft colors and saturated with the sweet smell of flowers, but the girl paid no attention to them. Instead, she strode purposefully along the stone walkways that led through them, heading for the royal orchard.

The royal orchard was somewhat wild now, having been abandoned eight years ago in a time of war. The gardeners had joined the army, and those who had returned had forgotten the orchard. The old stone gardeners’ cottage had fallen into disrepair, wildflowers had taken over, the grasses on the banks of the small stream that encircled the orchard had grown tall. Still, the royal orchard was the tamest part of the Arlithien, the vast wood that covered most of Avonwood, and that, Andumiel thought, was why it had not gone entirely back to nature when it was abandoned. Although she would have rather gone exploring in Arlithien than playing in the orchard (Arlithien was not considered safe enough), she went there every chance she got.

Reevu was standing outside the door of the gardeners’ cottage when Andumiel reached it. He was fourteen to her ten, but he played with her anyway because they had known each other since he was six and she was two. Andumiel treated him a lot like an older brother, except that they didn’t annoy each other that much. He could see that she was in a mood that day.

“Your mother?” he asked, casting an amused glance at her muddy dress. They entered the roofless structure.

“Yes,” replied Andumiel, somewhat sullenly. “She hates it that father taught me horseback riding and that I’m such a horsewoman. She wants me to be—” The girl made a face—“a proper princess.”

Reevu laughed.

“Why don’t you want to be a proper princess, anyway?” he asked. “I thought most girls your age wanted to be princesses. Wear pretty dresses, get married, live in a palace and all that.”

“So? If they knew they’d also have to worry about grown-up problems and keep their pretty dresses clean, then almost none of them would want to be princesses.”

Andumiel grabbed a fallen leafy branch off the ground and started sweeping the floor of the cottage with extreme prejudice. She shoved leaves from overhanging trees and stones from the long-gone roof into a large pile. She violently swung the branch at the pile, so hard that it broke and half the rubble flew out the door. But she was small for a ten-year-old and the fierce exercise winded her.

Reevu shook his light brown hair.

“Watch where you’re sweeping,” he said, grinning. “I think you got some rubble on me.”

Andumiel giggled. Then she seemed detached from reality, staring vaguely past him at something in the forest. Reevu knew what was coming, but he didn’t move. Sure enough, Andumiel suddenly yelled, “You’re it!” and tapped his shoulder. She ran off, laughing, thinking her trick had worked as she always did, because Reevu never let her know he expected it.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
373 Reviews


Points: 46306
Reviews: 373

Donate
Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:41 am
View Likes
PrincessInk wrote a review...



Hey Blue! Here for the reviewing contest. I would like to preface that my review is just my opinion and what I say may not work out for this story, so take this with a spoonful of salt :)

Just a nitpick to get out of the way first: I feel like the sentences in the second paragraph have more "hads" than necessary. I know that it's a flashback describing how the orchard had become wild, but I ever read somewhere that you only need the "had" to slip into the flashback, and then out of into the present.

Setting:

I also think that the description of the orchard was a little lacking, at least to me. While I appreciate the background context of it as an interesting and important tidbit (at least to me) I would have loved to see it shown in the description of the scenery. Like specific nouns and verbs displaying a clear picture of how wild it became. For example, you could write that ivy was creeping up the walls of the cottage, and that beside the paths Andumiel and Reevu had probably cleared up, it was all matted with bracken. A few extra specific details would help me imagine the scene more clearly, I believe.

One other thing I'd like to point out is that the scenery could be livened up more if you had the characters interact a little more with it. Andumiel's sweeping was a great example of this interaction (like using branches) and I feel as though I'd have liked a little more placed in their dialogue. Like either one of them fingering a rock or something or (if there's fruit) Reevu munching on one of them when Andumiel arrives.

Characters:

I really liked the relationship between Andumiel and Reevu. Just a brother-sister kind of relationship. I can imagine that this is going to mentally benefit them greatly as the story progresses and (maybe) as something bad happens and possibly throws the characters in turmoil. Reevu's pretending not to already know Andumiel's trick felt pretty sweet of him, and it made him a likable character.

Though I liked their relationship, I also thought that Andumiel's complaints sound as though she and Reevu don't know each other as long as they do. Assuming she's been a princess all her life, she probably has those complaints longer for quite a while. Compared to Reevu's "Your mother" (which sounds very, very natural) Andumiel's elaboration on how her mother is quite stringent feels much less so. Maybe it would be better if Andumiel said something like "Yes, yes. She was angry with me yet again about this dress. How am I going to do anything if I've got to keep it clean and pretty?" or something like that. Maybe that example isn't particularly good, but the point is: Andumiel and Reevu's known each other for years, so their banter should show that in my opinion.

One final aspect that did confuse me a little was about how Andumiel jumped from (what I assume as) a bad mood to a cheery, playful mood. It's entirely possible that she's ten years old, and volatile, and has a red hot temper that easily cools down. And maybe that violent sweeping may have taken away the anger. /opinion And in the beginning, I didn't really see the "mood" in her as she headed to the garden. Maybe saying that she stomped through the garden or something that conveys frustration or anger or anything causing a bad mood would make this better. Again, it's possible I misread "she was in a mood that day" and may have a comment completely off the hook.

Hope this review helped!

-Ink




User avatar
498 Reviews


Points: 5966
Reviews: 498

Donate
Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:04 am
View Likes
Que wrote a review...



Hello Blue! Hopefully I'll have more luck in reviewing this than I've had in reviewing the Chosen Grandma. :)

Okay, so first I'd like to talk about the characters.

Andumiel sounds like a typical ten-year-old -- storming off but recovering from it pretty quickly. She seems stubborn as well, but the "I don't want to be a proper princess" part seems a bit cliche to me. I wonder what they want her to do at the age of ten other than not ride horses? Anyway, she's the main character, but doesn't seem very... aware? I wonder what she will end up doing, what the conflict will be, because I can't really see one happening unless there's an event which forces her into the world. She clearly has an interest in exploring, but she doesn't seem to see the gravity in any decision she might make.

Reevu, on the other hand, doesn't seem quite like a real character. Maybe a fourteen-year-old would still play with a ten-year-old, but it would be a lot closer to babysitting, which this doesn't seem to be. I also think that most fourteen-year-olds are rather ill-tempered -- maybe not all the time, but they're part of the way into the world of adults, so there's generally a different air about them which Reevu just doesn't have.

Another thing about him is his relationship to Andumiel. They've been friends since they were small, but she's a princess. Since she finds him outside the gardner's cottage, does that mean he's a gardener? If so, how do her parents feel about this friendship? Is there anyone else in the palace her age? From this short section, it seems as if the palace is sparsely occupied, as Andumiel doesn't run into anyone -- even guards -- on the way to Reevu.

There's also this part:

Andumiel treated him a lot like an older brother, except that they didn’t annoy each other that much. He could see that she was in a mood that day.

I think that the specifics of this relationship should be implicit rather than explicit. You don't need to tell us how exactly they treated each other -- show it instead. I also think that not only do brother/sister relationships have an annoying element, but all friendships. With Andumiel's personality, I'd think there would be quite a bit of annoyance between the two of them, even if it's fun annoyance. Smooth relationships are possible, but with two children of those ages, it's not very likely or realistic.

I could also use a lot more emotion from the characters. While Andumiel's emotions are shown a bit -- and they swing back and forth quite a bit -- there isn't much depth to either of them. Finalizing your point of view can help with that. It seems to be a little bit from Andumiel's perspective, but these lines:
He could see that she was in a mood that day.

thinking her trick had worked as she always did, because Reevu never let her know he expected it.

These are more from Reevu's point of view. If you decide on one and stick with it, then you can make that particular character's feelings come out much more clearly, and it will help your work to be stronger overall.

Plot

From the background statement at the beginning of the chapter, it seems like Andumiel is storming out of the palace because her mother sent her out while she was overhearing a conversation. Then there's this part --
“Your mother?” he asked, casting an amused glance at her muddy dress. They entered the roofless structure.

“Yes,” replied Andumiel, somewhat sullenly. “She hates it that father taught me horseback riding and that I’m such a horsewoman. She wants me to be—” The girl made a face—“a proper princess.”

--and this just doesn't sound at all like what I was expecting. She isn't thinking about what she overheard at all, and then she starts to talk about being a proper princess, when that doesn't appear to be the reason her mother sent her away. Maybe this section could be a little more focused on what she learned about the armed forces, or maybe just her frustration at being sent away rather than her frustration at having to be a "proper princess". The mud on the dress and the "Your mother?" part seem particularly out of place, although there may have been something in the first chapter about staining the dress with mud because of the mother.

Andumiel grabbed a fallen leafy branch off the ground and started sweeping the floor of the cottage with extreme prejudice. She shoved leaves from overhanging trees and stones from the long-gone roof into a large pile. She violently swung the branch at the pile, so hard that it broke and half the rubble flew out the door. But she was small for a ten-year-old and the fierce exercise winded her.

This part also makes little sense. She's sweeping the floor with a branch -- why? Why is she doing it with prejudice? Is she supposed to be cleaning this place? Then she simply abandons the task. This scene doesn't have much of a place here, unless you can find a way to clarify it or give it a purpose. Otherwise, it doesn't do much for the piece.

This line as well is odd:
Reevu shook his light brown hair.
Maybe he shakes his head and his hair shakes along with it? Also that's a bit of description that you don't really extend to the rest of the chapter. While you describe the orchard physically, giving us the bare shapes of the situation, there are no vivid colors or sounds or really much of anything. There could be a lot more of that, not only in the first part, but woven throughout the chapter.

Then she seemed detached from reality, staring vaguely past him at something in the forest. Reevu knew what was coming, but he didn’t move. Sure enough, Andumiel suddenly yelled, “You’re it!” and tapped his shoulder. She ran off, laughing, thinking her trick had worked as she always did, because Reevu never let her know he expected it.

The first part of this seems really ominous, like she's seen something in the forest. Then it simply dissolves into a game. Maybe you could lower the contrast between those two parts? It seems a little awkward, and sends mixed messages.

This chapter does seem a bit short and shallow as well. Even with more depth, it doesn't seem like the best length. Rather than drawing out this scene, perhaps it could be added onto the first chapter, which (I assume) is somewhere around this same length. That could make a stronger chapter altogether.

I think that's about all I have for this; those are really the main aspects I wanted to focus on. I hope that in later chapters, more of a purpose becomes clear! There isn't really much motivation or conflict in this chapter, so I hope it emerges later on.

Keep writing! :)
-Q




User avatar
472 Reviews


Points: 25
Reviews: 472

Donate
Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:59 pm
View Likes
Lightsong wrote a review...



Hey BlueAfrica, here I am to review for the contest! :D I'm pretty excited to review a chapter from your other fantasy novel. The title itself is gorgeous and attractive; I can imagine an equally beautiful cover that comes with it if it's published. ;) For this review, I will focus on characters, plot, setting, and others.

Characters

“So? If they knew they’d also have to worry about grown-up problems and keep their pretty dresses clean, then almost none of them would want to be princesses.”


For someone who is ten, this is quite wise coming from Andumiel. The dialogue is definitely her style, but it still carries a message or an awareness that I don't expect from someone her age. I would think a child like her wouldn't concern herself with serious issues and instead enjoys her childhood, unless her life is tough - which is unlikely although there's a conflict between her and Mother. I'll believe it more if she focuses only on the cleanliness issue that divides a princess with a horsewoman, not caring if her dress gets dirty or not.

I can see the dynamic between Reevu and Andumiel. While Reevu is laid back and easily humored, Andumiel is passionate and adventurous. It certainly makes for an interesting friendship and I wonder what Reevu's status is in the palace. Is he of a high enough rank to be Andumiel's friend of does she not care about that? I think this is something I want confirmation in future/past chapters. Also, since the chapter is quite short, I get more from Andumiel than Reevu, and I think it would be better to add in a few more paragraphs to give us more information about Reevu - I do have to say the last line tells us a bit more of him though.

Plot

The chapter is too short for my liking, and the reason for this is because nothing much happens here. I'm sure Andumiel playing with Reevu is something that happens regularly, and while I do understand if you want to show more of how their friendship works, I hope their mere interaction isn't the focus of this chapter. At the end of it I have my hope that Andumiel sees something crucial for the chapter, but alas, she's just tricking Reevu - and secretly fails - and it's just another game of hide-and-seek. I'm hoping to have a connection to the main or subplots so that I have a strong reason to continue reading.

Setting

The old stone gardeners’ cottage had fallen into disrepair, wildflowers had taken over, the grasses on the banks of the small stream that encircled the orchard had grown tall.


I would imagine when the setting is being described, there is a certain pause of time that is required to let readers visualize it. While this sentence is effective in portraying the place, the lack of 'and' to replace the last comma quickens the pace, forcing me to speed up my reading and disabling me to imagine the area completely.

Andumiel grabbed a fallen leafy branch off the ground and started sweeping the floor of the cottage with extreme prejudice. She shoved leaves from overhanging trees and stones from the long-gone roof into a large pile. She violently swung the branch at the pile, so hard that it broke and half the rubble flew out the door. But she was small for a ten-year-old and the fierce exercise winded her.


I like how you interwoven the setting with her action, as setting description is made more natural like that. Not only we see how she acts when she's not in a good mood, but the surrounding is established once again through the description. I would cut the adverb 'violently', however, since the fact that the branch breaks already indicates how strong the swing is. The same goes to 'fierce'. It's a given that what she does requires a lot of energy, so there's no need to emphasize that for readers. Most of the time adjectives and adverbs can be excluded without losing the message of a sentence.

Others

“Your mother?” he asked, casting an amused glance at her muddy dress. They entered the roofless structure.

“Yes,” replied Andumiel, somewhat sullenly. “She hates it that father taught me horseback riding and that I’m such a horsewoman. She wants me to be—” The girl made a face—“a proper princess.”


I have an inkling of what's going on here, but I can't be sure. What does Reevu mean by mentioning her mother? What does she have to do with Andumiel's muddy dress? Since it's explained Mother wants her to act like a proper princess, making her dress dirty is the last thing Mother would do. So I'm not sure if this is deliberately done by Andumiel to annoy Mother, because while it's more logical than Mother doing it, her sullen expression doesn't fit. I think perhaps you can elaborate what has actually happened here. While most likely it's described in the first chapter, Reevu doesn't know what readers know, so it's okay to summarize what has happened.

And that is all! In conclusion, this is an easy read. Reevu and Andumiel are likeable characters and the dynamic of their friendship is pleasant to read. However, it seems like this chapter is more of a filler, and while a filler isn't bad, the lack of connection to the important thing that is happening lessens its importance. I hope you can include a strong reason why readers have to read this chapter because I'm curious of what's actually happening in the story. Keep improving! :D





The thing about plummeting downhill at fifty miles an hour on a snack platter - if you realize it's a bad idea when you're halfway down, it's too late.
— Rick Riordan, The Son of Neptune