z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

a drink at brengman's

by BluesClues


[alt text below]

[screen shot of a poem with the following text:

they ask

if you could have a drink with anyone

alive or dead

who would it be

and I know I'm supposed to say

edgar allen poe

maya angelou

tchaikovsky, stravinsky

a great thinker or poet or composer

someone important

but I think

if I could have a drink with anyone

alive or dead

it would be you

and you'd have your pint of killian's

a writer's digest

an erasable pen

books & notes

and I'd tell you about my book

and we'd catch up]


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
415 Reviews


Points: 31520
Reviews: 415

Donate
Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:52 pm
View Likes
keystrings wrote a review...



Sometimes simplicity works so nicely to establish this kind of longing, something that can be universally understood by anyone that has ever missed another person. I love it.

I am impressed by your choosing of something profound to be answered by what is probably in one of those "Ask your friends these questions if you're bored" lists I'll see across the internet every so often. Longing/heartache/missing someone can be described in so many different ways, but I also like that this poem feels slightly reminiscent of a Buzzfeed quiz. Or maybe that's one too many internet references today.

I also like that you specify which type of famous person you think would be counted as important, a thinker, a poet, or a composer. This could purely be personal taste, but to me, it's interesting to see what ideas people do have in which this question would best be used for. When I would ask my parents that, they would answer in terms of previous family members, but also famous people important to them, such as President Obama or Oprah.

The repetition in this is lovely since it reaffirms as to the point of this poem -- demonstrating that the reader/person is the most important person to the speaker, is the main person that they will always want to see, moreso than anyone who's famous or has done something significant in history. It's a quirk of bittersweet and sheer love coming from these short lines.

I do not drink much at all, so I do not know what a Killian's drink is, but I also love that there are specific details in this and not only common/generalities about the person being spoken about. It shows this true longing, since they are describing someone that is unique, is their own person with "a writer's digest" and an "erasable pen" although I truly did love the few erasable pens I was able to buy in school.

I also like the last line a lot, for it shows that this is a true friendship. The speaker wants so badly just to see this person again, to have a lovely conversation with them, to have them in front of them sitting like I'd assume they had before in the past. I truly want the speaker to have that opportunity again one day.

I always have and always will enjoy your poetry. <3




BluesClues says...


<333



User avatar
122 Reviews


Points: 1350
Reviews: 122

Donate
Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:42 pm
View Likes
GengarIsBestBoy says...



This poem was really sweet! I don’t know why, but I kinda of envisioned the poem taking place in some bar in a magical world where you could just summon someone, alive or dead, and have a drink with them (maybe it’s just my overactive imagination, lol).




BluesClues says...


Thank you for reading!



User avatar
240 Reviews


Points: 16328
Reviews: 240

Donate
Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:52 am
View Likes
AkuRashomon wrote a review...



Hi, hello there! This is Ina speaking. I am here to give you a quick comment/review. Anyways, let's get into it.

I love how chill and normal this poem is. Like I imagine a person walking into an empty bar with ghosts looking-people and real alive looking people. And they walk up to me so chill and down-to-earth, saying, "c'mon, have a drink with me. Don't worry I won't drug you, I just want to have a drink with you. I don't know if you are dead or alive, but I would like to catch up with you." Although, I think it might sad or happy because it's like this person is longing to just have a drink with anyone because they're lonely or they just want that one person, you.

Thank you for sharing a beautiful masterpiece of yours. Have a good morning, day, afternoon, or night.




BluesClues says...


Oops, I thought I had responded to this, but thank you!



AkuRashomon says...


You're welcome! c:



User avatar
51 Reviews


Points: 222
Reviews: 51

Donate

User avatar
1228 Reviews


Points: 144000
Reviews: 1228

Donate
Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:55 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...



This poem so perfectly captures the feeling of heartache / longing. It's beautiful and I keep thinking about it. <3




BluesClues says...


omg thank you <333



User avatar


Points: 414
Reviews: 4

Donate
Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:48 pm
View Likes
E11ie says...



This is somehow both sweet and sad. Bittersweet. Sweet because out of all those glorious thinkers and artists, the reader is the most interesting to you. Sad because the reader, or I suppose whoever you specifically were addressing when you wrote this, is dead and the thing you write about is the two people in your poem simply being together. There is a longing and a quiet love in the simplicity of this piece that sort of breaks my heart.

Thank you for sharing this.




User avatar
3821 Reviews


Points: 3891
Reviews: 3821

Donate
Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:47 am
View Likes
Snoink says...



I would have a drink with you too. <3 Though... maybe not a pint of killian's, lol.




BluesClues says...


<333



User avatar
455 Reviews


Points: 22123
Reviews: 455

Donate
Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:45 pm
View Likes
Hijinks says...



I really love the simplicity of this - it makes it feel so sincere <3




BluesClues says...


thank you <3




I would rather die of passion than of boredom.
— Émile Zola