z

Young Writers Society


12+ Language Violence Mature Content

Why We Hate A Game of Thrones

by dragonfphoenix


Tits, sex, and men in the nude.

Gore to make a Ringer quail.

Humanity's darkest traits displayed for sport.

Vulgarity to put Urban Dictionary to shame.

Conspiracy to make a theorist tremble.

Executions to trump the French Revolution.

Fantasy degraded to a soap opera,

Prose more cliché than Hallmark cards,

And the title starts with an "A."


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
30 Reviews


Points: 1385
Reviews: 30

Donate
Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:32 pm
Teacake013 wrote a review...



Hi it's me teacake013 here to review.
I thoroughly and truthfully enjoy your work it was unique!:)

I'm not here to judge your work badly at all, so I'll tell you
I know it takes a lot to publish you're works so I respect that completely.

This is hilarious and it short and clean and not to mention darn outright funny and opinionated
Also I love the title it caught my attention for sure.

Hope you keep on improving and writing you're heart out!.!

Love, Teacake013




User avatar
760 Reviews


Points: 31396
Reviews: 760

Donate
Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:27 am
ExOmelas wrote a review...



Hello there. Just to let you know, I don't normally review poetry but I saw the title of this and jumped at it.

If I hear one more word about Game of Thrones, I am going to throw my three in one copy of Lord of the Rings at someone. I completely sympathise with your cause. I've heard it described as 'Lord of the Rings with boobs'. Now, I've neither seen it nor read it but, why is that so good? Thank you for bringing this to attention.

I think my favourite line was "Gore to make a Ringer quail." because it brought LotR to the forefront of the reader's mind and reminded them that GoT is a total rip-off. The Urban Dictionary one was great as well.

I like the way you kept referencing intelligently. Like, your comparisons required experience to understand which makes the reader feel more superior to GoT because it makes it seem amateur. And that ending is just perfect. It really strikes a nerve on a site like this.

Oh, but I'd change 'more unoriginal' to 'less original'

Well done! :)






Thanks for the review! Glad you liked it. (3-in-1 LotR is just a one vol. edition of the entire novel. ;) ). And there is absolutely no need to read/watch GoT. Not worth it.
With 'more unoriginal,' it gives more of a "dumping swine dung in excess onto the pile" feel than "less original" does, don't you think? At least that was the thought process.
Again, thanks for the review!



User avatar
62 Reviews


Points: 911
Reviews: 62

Donate
Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:41 pm
View Likes
ThePatchworkPilgrims wrote a review...



Greetings dragonfphoenix!
I cannot agree with you more! Game of Thrones is the rotten tooth in the perfect set of teeth we know as fantasy. Why people enjoy watching something like that is unfathomable.
Anyway, back to the poem. You have an excellent vocabulary, and an exquisite talent to effectively compare so many negative things from this series with things we hear about or use every day. Bravo.
"Executions to trump the French Revolution"
This line is by far my favorite line in this piece. Even though it is factually incorrect (The French Revolution and its Reign of Terror's execution-statistics cannot be trumped, except by the Holocaust and Josef Stalin's Purges, but no matter)
There isn't much more that I can say about this piece. I actually want to share this on Facebook with my friends who are GoT addicts (If I may, of course). Therefore this piece receives a staggering 9.5 out of ten. That's jolly good, mate! ;-)
Sincerely,
The Wandering Wizard






Thanks for the review! Glad you liked it. Of course pass it on! (I believe there are buttons underneath author profiles for that very reason. :D )
As far as genocides go, the FR was actually pretty small. Chinese, Cambodian, Russian, German, all were in the millions. The FR was only about 50k. (But I know what you mean about it being factually incorrect. ;) )
Again, thanks for the review!




Life’s disappointments are harder to take if you don’t know any swear words.
— Bill Watterson