z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Lovesick is a Disease

by dragonfphoenix


Lovesick is a disease.

It tears your heart apart.

Your chest is crushed,

Or exploding.

You don’t want to eat.

You don’t want to sleep.

When your other half

Is missing.

Things like books and phones

Become gateways to them.

The first reminds you of little things.

The second gives you their words.

Everything’s a reference to them.

Rain, the thing you sang in.

Tree, the thing you climbed in.

Love, the thing you fell in.

They hold your heart,

And you hold theirs.

They are your air, your life.

Apart you’re incomplete.

No wonder they call it lovesick.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar


Points: 100
Reviews: 0

Donate
Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:06 am
LynseyStaggs says...



I really liked this! I can definitely relate to it, but it is a bit cliche.




User avatar
241 Reviews


Points: 286
Reviews: 241

Donate
Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:05 am
Jonathan says...



I thought it the title was "Love is a Disease" ;P That one caught my interest faster oddly.






Ooh, good idea. :) Thanks. Guess what's probably coming down the pipeline next... ;P



User avatar
30 Reviews


Points: 110
Reviews: 30

Donate
Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:57 am
musicandme wrote a review...



This poem, wow, like DEFINES my thoughts 24/7 pretty much. I adore this poem because it's almost like you wrote it at me, for me. I didn't see any grammar mistakes or anything like that at all. I know I probably don't have a lot of advice that could be useful to you since I only have two stars and look at you, you're so experienced! Yet, maybe I can still offer you my praise and thoughts for this poem. Your three words here, rain, tree, love and how you connect them to the idea of "and we did that there at this time, I rember I was wearingm and the weather was-" it just shows how 'Lovesick' you are after any type of relationship how vulnerable your heart is, how much it meant to you, and everything in between! I can't thank you enough for writing those lines because it help me figure out a few of my own thoughts in reality.

Also, this, how you set up the line "When your other half (new line) is missing" that, for me, really gave me a tone for this term you call the title. I didn't quite catch the meaning at first, but looking back at its placement made it then very meaningful to the poem.

So overall, a huge thank youmfor writing this because it was so nicely written. It was short but it had a meaning to it. I know you sympathized with me and I can't imagine what it will do for others. So plainly, thanks for this poem.

~ Music




User avatar
621 Reviews


Points: 4984
Reviews: 621

Donate
Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:10 pm
View Likes
Rook wrote a review...



Hello

Interesting poem... I'm sorry if this is really personal and I'm not kind enough, but here we go.

I thought this is rather cliche. It reminded me of the classic heartbreak poem, many of which can be found here.

Become gateways to them.

Them? Who is them? It sounds like you're saying books and phones are gateways to books and phones. But after I reread it, I feel like you're talking about whoever you love or whatever, and that idea is reinforced later. My goodness. Just give them a pronoun (unless they prefer to be called "them" but even then, I'd tell you to make a sacrifice for clarity of your poem so that it's not about your person specificall). You don't need to make this applicable for everyone. You can change "them" to "she" and I, even though I am not romantically geared toward women, will still understand, and in my head, I will either replace "she" for "he," just in my understanding as taking this poem to myself as personal, or I will imagine someone else saying this about their love, which is tender too, as, for all I know, it could be about me. That second one is more likely, however, because I can't imagine myself saying this.
Wow. I hope that made sense. >.<

The think about your chest in the beginning is so cliche. I see it all the time. bleh. And also the eating and sleeping thing.

I've heard the thing about the "other half" a lot, so I'd like you to expand on that. You stuck a cliche idea in there, but it's a cliche idea that has room to be taken from cliche-ity to something better. Talk about what it would be like if you literally only had half a body, maybe. Or, if you have half a heart or something, wouldn't blood be pouring into your lungs or something? I dunno, make some nice concrete images in this! That's what makes poetry wonderful ^-^

I don't really like the part about books an phones and what they do. It seemed so abstract when it shouldn't have been, and I didn't derive much actual meaning from it. Honestly, if felt really out of place.

I like your rain, tree, and love lines a lot, actually, though (and this is me personally, which has nothing to do with your story), I would've picked something other than "sang" for rain, because then I get Gene Kelly in my brain. Personally I like to dance in the rain, because it makes more sense to dance that to sing on purpose in the rain. (But then I get Ricky Martin in my head singing Livin' La Vida Loca~)

...aand your last three lines read really cliche to me too. I've heard them lots of times before, and maybe I haven't heard exactly your last line, but of course it's called love sick because you feel sick. I've been really homesick before, and I could hardly function. Of course it is a disease, I'm just not sure why you've chosen to write a poem trying to convince us of something we already knew. Now, if you took a different approach on this, and told the story of how someone had to be admitted to the ER because of their lovesickness, that would be very interesting, and I would definitely read that. Taking a new approach on everything is how to write good poetry, in my opinion.

Anyway, I hope this helped somewhat.
Great job, keep writing!
~fortis




User avatar
75 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 75

Donate
Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:22 pm
Eldritch says...



Lovesick. OK.





Be sure you put your feet in the right place, then stand firm.
— Abraham Lincoln