To My Future Niece

by RoyalHighness

I.

Your wild heart has been crowned;

crowned by the rose.

Let it love slowly

and deliberately.

Praise your heaven as if

the horizon were your home.

Hear the heartbeat of your smile’s

stunning, God-given soul.

Your wild heart has been

sun-lit by the crowning dawn,

But all stars vanish

with the star-kissed sun;

Stretching clouds and light

across your home like

Opening hands,

touching life to earth, and

Quiet love to your wild heart.

II.

The tired trees

asleep in the apple orchards

awaken,

strung together by flaking thread,

memory of dream still quaking

in leaves;

dreams of the crowning rose

and winter’s sleep.

III.

I wish you slow-burning days by the fire,

With one mind and faith 

To sweeten Sunday’s coffee.

I wish you high art and graceful falls,

Falls broken by roses and wild hearts.

And should the world

Outside your chest

Rage against your wild,

Star-silked soul,

I hope you keep quiet courage,

And let the world dream

Of roses

And wild hearts.

Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:52 pm
AfterTheStorm wrote a review...

Wow, Highness. I'm thoroughly impressed by the absolute magnificence of this poem. Your niece is a lucky little girl to have an aunt like you. :) *sniffle* II is especially my favorite (simply because I love poetry relating to nature), but the other two are no less gorgeous.

The way you so eloquently described simple things in such an elaborate yet not forced manner really blew me away. I reread this a few times just because I loved it so much! Haha

The advice that you give your niece is sweet and strong all at the same time, and I'm sure that, once she's able to understand this poem's meaning, she will inevitably fall in love with its ink-bound words just as I have. I like the theme of heart, soul, roses, and courage which echo throughout the piece. It kind of makes me want to go out and do something now! xD

Alright now that I'm done gushing (sort of), I have a few nitpicks to point out... Oh, wait? What's that? I didn't find any mistakes? ... Oh. Great! Haha

I just wanted to thank you, RoyalHighness, for sharing this piece with YWS. Please keep writing more poetry! See you around some time, and as always: Write on!

---Storm

RoyalHighness says...

Storm, your review made me cry a little thank you so much!!! More poetry to come <3

AfterTheStorm says...

Aww. <3

Sorry if there were any typos. xD I didn't have time to look over it before I submit it for Review Day. Maybe you'll end up having to review my review! Haha

RoyalHighness says...

Of course not! No worries, your review was flawless, just like yourself.

Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:49 pm
disheartedallure22 wrote a review...

Hello! Here for a review!
So, this is a very beautiful poem and I just love the imagery you used in it. It was very vivid and really there. I also love how specific it is. I really think you did an amazing job here! I really love the third stanza. It's absolutely gorgeous, I love the ending you have wrote there. I hope you keep writing because you really have something here!

Stay Awesome!
Valerie

RoyalHighness says...

Thank you!!
No, YOU stay awesome! :D

Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:47 pm
artemis15sc wrote a review...

I loved the idea of this. And the words you used flowed together so beautifully. It didn't feel like you were using a bunch of words to make it sound cool, yet your word choice was still refreshing and uncliched.

I'm not really fan a rhyming poetry, and I love how even though this was freeform it still flowed together like a cohesive poem, better than some rhyming poems I've read.

The one thing I found weird were the places were you broke up the lines. Some of them just didn't seam right, or felt awkward, particularly when you break up ideas. I don't know, maybe it was just me.

Overall though, a beautiful poem. Was this really written for your niece? She's a lucky girl, I loved the repetition of crowns, hearts, and roses. It's really cool how you connected these three things together.

Thanks for sharing!

-Art

This review was brought to you by The Black Knights!

RoyalHighness says...

Thank you!!
Yeah, I think you're right about the line breaks. I originally wrote this in one long stanza and broke it up later and I never could find the right flow. Hmm. Maybe one day...
thank you for the review!!

Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:39 pm
Transporter23 wrote a review...

RoyalHighness says...

I completely agree, thank your for your comprehensive dedication to this review! Hope to hear more delectable wisdom from you soon.

Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:56 pm
90skids wrote a review...

This is a beautiful poem about a beautiful event. I love all of the imagery that you use, especially the lines about dreaming of roses and wild hearts.
Whilst I think that the entire poem is beautiful, in my opinion, the final stanza is a work of a genius who paints a masterpiece with very few words.
I loved this poem and I can't find any nit-picks. Keep writing beautiful poetry :)

RoyalHighness says...

Wow, thank you so much! That means so much to me, you have no idea.

Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before.
— Captain James T. Kirk