The Beach

by Phillauthet

When you ever go to the beach,
You never come across a leech
The sunlight as it shines on the sea,
A wonderful sight to see!

Sometimes when there's a storm,
Bigger waves will form
But when the storm clears,
An amazing sight, my dear!

To see the rising sun,
Waking early you've got to learn,
It's worth, don't you think,
To see the sun without a blink!

But please keep the beach clean,
Don't ever be so mean,
What nature has gifted us,
We must care more, not less.

AkuRashomon wrote a review...

Hello there, this is Ina also known as loveissourgrapes and I am here to give you a review/comment for this poem about the beach.

Oh my, I love the beach and love it when people write poems about how refreshing the place is. I love the descriptions you gave, of the view of the beach and how the sun is so bright. I think the third stanza is funny. Then I read the end and I like, "Oh, it's kind of sad people don't take care of the beaches of the world." It is very beautiful but people just forget to maintain it properly. Overall, it's good. I know this is an old poem and you've possibly improve in your other writings. But it just catches my eye when the beach is mentioned. Keep on writing!

Have a nice morning, afternoon or evening everyone! Especially our great writer, @Phillauthet!

Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:07 am
FireEyes wrote a review...

Hey Phil (I guess that's your shortened name XD) Incoming review!

I was looking through your portfolio, looking for something to review, and once I saw this one I knew I had to review it. I love beach imagery so here I go. I'll go stanza by stanza.

When you ever go to the beach,
You never come across a leech
The sunlight as it shines on the sea,
A wonderful sight to see!
I understand using "leech" to say the beach is more enjoyable than a body of water leeches would be found in (e.g. rivers) but it's like how I would try to find a rhyme for the sake of rhyming. Sometimes its just better to say the words you wanna say rather than have them rhyme. I also found that rhyming "sea" with "see" doesn't come across too well especially if you're reading it out loud. Maybe something like, "A wonder sight for me!" could work.

Sometimes when there's a storm,
Bigger waves will form
But when the storm clears,
An amazing sight, my dear!
I like this feel of this stanza. I can see the cloudy sky and hear the crashing waves, with so little words! And I've always had an affinity to "sea after a storm" imagery mostly because of the Princess Bride lol. But it's beautiful and I'd understand wanting to put it in this stanza!

To see the rising sun,
Waking early you've got to learn,
It's worth, don't you think,
To see the sun without a blink!
I know what I'm about to say is contradictory, but the one-off non rhyme is off putting. It would be different if you would consistently have it be free verse or even have the line in the first stanza be not rhyming. But the part about the sun rising, sometimes it truly is a "blink and you'll miss it," type of thing. Especially with certain sunsets where you see the sun go down in real time. Truly gorgeous.

But please keep the beach clean,
Don't ever be so mean,
What nature has gifted us,
We must care more, not less.
Aaand last stanza. Eeee I love the message here at the end. It saddens me to see beaches with trash on it. Beaches are supposed to be these beautiful places where we go to have fun, not pick up other people's trash. We gotta cherish the beach. It's a great message I don't usually se in poetry, don't litter.

But that's all I have for today. I hope you found some of this useful! I see this work has gotten a lot of reviews so I hope some of my critique was different lol. Anyway byeeeeee<3

Phillauthet says...

Thanks for the review! Yes, it really helped me.
In the 3rd stanza, yeah, it doesn't rhyme. As I've said below, I wrote this when I was 10, so I had that mindset of 'If it ends with the same letter, it rhymes' %uD83D%uDE05
I totally agree, the beach has to be kept clean. People think that the water will wash the trash away, but they don't think about all the marine life which is in danger due to improper waste disposal.
Thanks again!

Sat May 08, 2021 7:06 am
Phillauthet says...

Thanks for all those reviews!!!
I'll work on the tips I've been given.
I actually wrote this poem when I was 10 yrs old so the vocabulary and everything isn't perfect...
I've improved now 😅

Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:42 am
nanda wrote a review...

Hello @Phillauthet
I have never been to the beach. But your poem really made me feel as if I was there itself. It's a beautiful work, I must say. And the topic is a unique one. The rhyming scheme has a great impact on the reader.
The sea, the leach, the storm ,the waves, the sun, the sand and everything else... Visualising all this was such a lovely experience!!
I am in love with the way you ended your poem. When one starts reading it, they can never imagine that a poem based on the beauty of the surroundings would end up giving a beautiful message about keeping them clean. But that was superb!! I really loved it.
Albeit, the vocabulary could have been better.
Overall your work was awesome. I enjoyed reading it.
And thank you for such a beautiful work and message.
Keep writing and good luck for future!

Hi Phil,

warm welcome to YWS - I hope you're enjoying it so far! I'm here to review your poem with a method called the Review S'more!

So starting with the First Graham Cracker - Interpretation:

I think the poem was a little clear to get 1 consistent method from. The first stanza seemed to be a reflection on the good things about the beach, the second stanza was about sometimes things being difficult like when storms come in, but then in the third stanza the conflict from stanza two gets solved by the sun, and the 4th stanza was about how we need to do our part to help preserve the good things about the beach.

There was a little bit of a problem I think with those themes feeling disconnected. 1) beach good, 2) beach not good, 3) beach good, 4) keep the beach clean. I think if you could find a way to bring some of the environmental concerns into the earlier stanza and connect how each of the first three relates a bit better it'd strengthen and clarify the poem.

Another interpretation is that the "beach" is a metaphor for life -> sometimes life is good, sometimes it's filled with storms, but we need to take care of ourselves and our bodies to keep living on.

Next part of this review is the slightly burned marshmallow -> Critiques:

As I just mentioned I think an important point of improvement would be to connect your stanza's themes a bit more to add continuity to the piece.

Another critique is the second line of the piece quite confused me and seemed a bit silly / implausible compared to the rest of the poem ->

When you ever go to the beach,

You never come across a leech

I think people do run into leeches at the beach, especially if it's a lake-beach, so I'm not really following how this makes sense or why it's included, it seemed a bit like a stretch to find a rhyming word. The other rhyme that seemed a bit forced was "sun" & "learn" in the third stanza, they're close but not really working I don't think -> maybe something like fun, done, hon, run could be used instead. Beach is a little bit harder to find something to rhyme with but you could use reach, teach, meet, leap, preach...

The next part of the review is the sweet part, the chocolate - Praise:

I think you did a good job keeping the lines even and keeping a consistent rhyme scheme of rhyming couplets throughout the whole poem! That helps preserve the flow of the piece and gives it a nice clean order. The punctuation and capitalization seemed consistent and clear too, except I thought perhaps you could have ended the last stanza in an exclamation point as you end every other stanza with one and it's kind of the big finale of the piece.

I also thought you did a good job being specific with what you liked about the beach, rather than just describing vague waves, you used specific experience / imagery -> I think it could be even more specific if you put the speaker within the poem and used an "i" voice" or even evoked memories -> ie. "i remember the sand between toes" or something. But overall you did paint a picture with your poem in a way that was interesting to read, and the length of the poem felt long enough to say what you wanted to say without it being too long to get boring or tedious for the reader.

The conclusion of our review is where it closes everything up with that last graham cracker -> Overall thoughts:

Overall, the main thing I'd work on going forward is paying a bit more attention to those rhyming words and continuity. But you've got some great building blocks in your form and nice consistency in your writing. Keep up the good work, I'm looking forward to reading more poetry from you!

~alliyah

Phillauthet says...

Thanks for the review! About the 'leech' part... I was actually comparing the freshwater lakes and the sea beaches. I do understand your concern in the continuity, I'll work on that.

Mageheart wrote a review...

Hello there, Phillauthet! I saw you just joined YWS today, so welcome to the site. <3

Nature poetry often comes across as deep and philosophical, but this poem did a great job capturing the side to nature that other poems sometimes fail to describe: the fun side! The beach was a fun, adventurous place for me growing up. I still see it as the perfect place to go on a hot, sunny day. Part of what helped you capture that fun tone was the rhymes you used throughout the poem. Rhyming every line runs the risk of including words that don't really make sense in order to keep the rhyming scheme going, but every rhyme here matched the theme of the poem.

I love your descriptions of the more majestic sides to the beach (waves and sunrise) but my favorite part is actually this stanza:

When you ever go to the beach,

You never come across a leech

The sunlight as it shines on the sea,

A wonderful sight to see!

Specifically, I really love those first two lines! I've gone swimming in both the ocean and freshwater lakes; growing up, no leeches was the first major distinction I made between the two of them. It made me smile when I saw you did the same thing here.

I just have two suggestions for this poem. One of them is a nitpick, and the other is some formatting advice from someone who's posted poetry on YWS for a few years. :)

The nitpick is about the punctuation you used. You mainly used commas at the end of your lines, with the occasional exclamation point. There's also a period at the very end of the piece to signify its conclusion. Since you use exclamation points and have that one final period, I would suggest putting periods at the end of sentences throughout the poem as well. You can also take out the exclamation points and replace them with commas, but I think that would take away the fun energy you have in the poem.

Formatting wise, there's actually a trick for making the spaces between lines smaller! If you don't want that space in between each line, just hit shift and enter at the same time. If you hit enter on its own, you'll be able to get a line break without having to hit enter multiple times.

So instead of looking like it does in the poem, the stanza I quoted earlier would look like this instead:

When you ever go to the beach,
You never come across a leech
The sunlight as it shines on the sea,
A wonderful sight to see!

I hope my review makes sense! Let me know if you have any questions about it or the site as a whole - I'd be happy to help you out. :)

Stellarjay wrote a review...

Hello Phillauthet,
First off welcome to YWS! I hope you are enjoying the site so far. But that's not why I'm here. Let's get to the review shall we? This poem was a joy to read. I love the ocean too and I think you expressed it's beauty in the best way.

To see the rising sun,

Waking early you've got to learn,

It's worth, don't you think,

To see the sun without a blink!

This stanza made me smile. Seeing the morning sun reflecting off the water in the morning is a sight you wouldn't want to miss.

In all it's simplicity and beauty, this poem was perfect in it's own way. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Keep on writing and have a great rest of your day!
Stellarjay

Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:46 am
ChrisCalaid wrote a review...

Hi @Phillauthet! I'm here for a quick review.
It's really a beautiful piece of poetry. I love reading this, it's a wonderful poem to read. It reminds us once again how beautiful nature is and how we've been forgetting to care about it every day. This poem is quite something to read with a simple title but unforgettable words decorating the simple and intriguing title. I don't know if this is imaginative or real expressions but it is truly impressive and I don't think I have anything critisim here. I loved reading this poem and would love to read more of your writings!

Thank you for writing this!
You made my day!

Best wishes,
Chris

Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:21 am
UsonaNaciisto says...

This poem made me laugh. However, it was not out of derision. I quite liked this poem. It reminds me of simpler times. I appreciate the unending positivity that radiates from your work. I noticed a few small grammar issues, yet they are minor and can easily be fixed.

It is a simple, focused piece that I appreciate a lot. It genuinely brought me a sense of nostalgia and joy. Please keep up the great work, as you are a talented poet and works such as this are endlessly valuable in these uncertain times.

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.
— Groucho Marx