The Cosmic Dragon: Chapter 1

by Necromancer14

Alice Wilkins was sulking in her bedroom. She was fifteen years old, and her mother had just a few minutes ago punished her for "back talking her parents." She was wearing a bright pink hello kitty shirt and a pair of shorts, with her homework sitting in her lap.

Her parents had refused to let her go to a party at her friend Violet's house, and she had yelled at them and argued. Now she was sitting on her bed, working on some super boring and easy algebra problems. Why do my parents have to be so mean? she thought bitterly. She threw her homework on the floor.

After flopping backwards into bed and making an exaggeratedly loud groan, she sat back up and continued her homework. I mean, I'll have to do it eventually. she reasoned. As she figured out which answer was the extraneous root in the quadratic formula, her phone dinged. She pulled it out and looked at the text from her friend, Violet James.

Hey Alice, u wanna come over to my party? It read.

I can't, my parents won't let me. replied Alice.

Well, u could come anyway. Tell them u are going shopping. 

What? I'm not going to do that. 

Oh, come on. It's gonna be a really epic party.

Alice thought for a few seconds, but eventually gave in.

Fine. I'll come. She wrote.

Alice hopped out of bed and went down the stairs. What they don't know won't hurt them, she thought, trying to compensate for her guilt. Besides, if they were nicer I wouldn't have to do things sneakily.

She left her phone in her room, because she knew her parents had one of those tracker app thingies. She snuck out the door and jogged a couple blocks over to Violet's house, where she saw several cars in the driveway. Then she rang the doorbell.

It opened to reveal Violet, who let her inside.

"Hi Alice! I'm so glad you could make it without getting caught," said Violet cheerfully. Violet had raven black hair and was wearing red lipstick. Alice had blonde hair and hadn't had time to put on any makeup. she felt embarrassed.

"I'm glad too," Alice replied with a laugh, ignoring another slight pang of guilt she felt at deceiving her parents.

They went inside, where everybody was eating pizza and a boom box was playing rap music overly loud. Alice talked with Violet and some of the other girls when two guys walked up. 

"Hey, Violet, wassup?" said the more handsome of the two with a casual grin.

"Hi, Josh!" Violet almost squealed, staring at him.  Alice looked at her accusingly. She knew that look. That was the look Violet gave all the handsomest boys.

"I'll, uh, go now," said the other boy nervously.

"What?" said Josh. "You're not going anywhere until you've made some friends, Isaac. Stop being so introverted. Now say hi."

"Uh, hi, I guess?" said Isaac.

Josh gave a big sigh. "Sorry about Isaac. He's a bit... shy."

"Okay," said Violet in a high pitched voice. She turned to Alice and whispered in her ear. "He's actually talking to me! This is so cool! Can you believe it?"

Alice nodded. Really Violet? He's not that handsome, she thought.

Everybody continued partying late into the night, not noticing the multiple police and ambulance sirens that were going by outside. When the party was finally over, Alice said goodbye to Violet and her other friends. She left the house and began walking home. She looked up at the stars which were fairly dim. I suppose that's what you get for living in Chicago, or any city really, she thought. 

As she continued staring up at the night sky, she saw something strange. She frowned. She saw something moving swiftly through the air, blotting out the dim stars. She couldn't see what it was very well, but it looked sort of like a small, black airplane, yet not quite like an airplane... she couldn't see it well enough to tell what it was.

Suddenly, it swooped incredibly fast towards some area ahead, disappearing in a flash of lightning. what the... ? thought Alice, startled. A gust of wind blew by, and she wished she was wearing more than just a T-shirt. She ran the rest of the way home to warm herself up, confused and bewildered about the thing she just saw.

When she started to get near her house she frowned. Were those sirens? She sprinted faster until she turned a corner, whereupon she gasped. 

Alice then saw the most horrible thing she had ever seen, other than on TV. There were a bunch of police cars, fire trucks, and ambulances, all around her neighborhood, with sirens still going off. Her house, along with a dozen of her neighbor's houses, were burnt to the ground. Oh, no! she thought. She stared in horror and grief as eight people pulled her parents from the wreckage and rushed them to one of the ambulances.

No, no, no, no! This can't be happening! She thought in terror. She ran up to a police officer in tears.

"How did this happen?" she cried.

"There seems to have been some sort of huge fire. Some of the witnesses say they saw an explosion, but nothing is certain yet," answered the police officer. "Are you okay?"

"I... I live... here... my parents..." Alice started crying some more. She ran up to the yellow caution tape at the edge of the wreckage of her house. She looked up at the smoldering pile of rubble that used to be her house, and she saw something that made her frown.

On top of the rubble there was a figure. his face was obscured by the darkness, but there was one feature she could definitely see.

His eyes were glowing, two pale ovals of blue light.

Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:55 am

Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening/Night(whichever it is in your part of the world),

And I'm back for the first chapter. It is starting to sink in that I signed up to review 15 chapters. Anyway.

First Impression: Tone Change. Bit out of the blue but not a problem. Really does a good job as an opening chapter.

So on with it,

Now she was sitting on her bed, working on some super boring and easy algebra problems(algebra is boring, I agree.)

As she figured out which answer was the extraneous root in the quadratic formula(*faints*), her phone dinged. She pulled it out and looked at the text from her friend, Violet James.

What? I'm not going to do that.

Fine. I'll come. She wrote.

Good little piece of banter. Helps us get a bit of an idea on her personality.

Now here it looks like she just straight up snuck out so why mention the shopping excuse earlier?

More development on the personality. Good.

"Hi, Josh!" Violet almost squealed, staring at him. Alice looked at her accusingly. She knew that look. That was the look Violet gave all the handsomest(I'm no expert on teenage girls but I don't think they would use that word. Maybe cutest) boys.

"Uh, hi, I guess?" said Isaac.

I assume these people play an important part.

Everybody continued partying late into the night, not noticing the multiple police and ambulance sirens that were going by outside. When the party was finally over, Alice said goodbye to Violet and her other friends. She left the house and began walking home. She looked up at the stars which were fairly dim. I suppose that's what you get for living in Chicago, or any city really, she thought. (Okay this paragraph is a bit weird. It starts out like a narrator then suddenly becomes Alice POV. Bit weird. I think you should just avoid the siren foreshadowing. It would give a better impact later too.)

Now this are a great couple of paragraphs. Draws the reader in.

"How did this happen?" she cried.

Okay I think it would be far more likely that she runs to the ambulance first to see her parents before doing anything else.

This is a great ending but I believe that a teenager would most likely only have one thought in mind at this point and that is to go look at her parents.

And that's that.

To finish off, this is a really good opening chapter and I definitely want to keep reading. Once again I hope I wasn't too harsh. Just trying to help out. Take what you think will help and forget the rest.

Onto the next chapter.

Stay Safe :)

felistia wrote a review...

Hi Necromancer14

I'm back again for another short review on the chapter. I'm glad you got right into things by the end of the first chapter. I was kinda worried that I'd have to read through a few chapters before we got back to the action, but yah for me that's not the case.

I've got a few theories already. Probably all wrong.

I'm wondering if that shape she saw was a dragon? Maybe it was what burned down the houses or maybe that was the boy with the blue eyes. I don't know. Just some random thoughts going through my head.

Anyway, no real criticism for this chapter. I might go more into depth once I get more into the story as you have a lot of reviews on this chapter covering most of the issues.

Keep writing,
Felistia

Thanks for the review! And I'm not going to tell you whether your theories are right or wrong. You'll have to read later chapters.

felistia says...

Cool. I'll just have to find out I guess. :D I reviewed chapter 2 as well, but I think that's all I'm going to do for tonight. :D

Okay, cool! And thanks again for reviewing my novel!

polishcommonwealth wrote a review...

Yolo! Here for another review.

The beginning was very good for a beginning, so I won't get into that. Just one thing, when you mention Violet James, personally, I would have thought up of some other kind of last name. But that's just me.

Anyway, The first problem I saw was when she said that she was in Chicago. I was thinking, "Where are we?" Before this part. It's just kind of strange for the reader to wonder where your main character is until at the middle of the chapter. You can state it at the beginning of the chapter. Something like, "Ever since her family had moved to Chicago, her parents never allowed her to go to her friend's parties." Something like that. Of course, I advise you not to use my example, if it doesn't fit with one of your characters attitudes or backgrounds.

I liked the random dialogue between Violet, Josh, and Isaac. It introduces the characters, but nothing important happens. Well, nothing except that houses are burning this instant, but we won't talk about that part right now. These characters you introduced during this dialogue though have to be important in some way or another. Otherwise, this will just be random, and your reader will be able to tell that this was just a fill in dialogue.

When Alice realizes that her house is burnt, something's missing in her description of dismay. You can't just say, "She was terrified." That's too bland.

Loved the ending. I loved how you introduce the guy who had blue eyes and all that. Loved it. It was amazing.

That's it! Hope I was helpful!

Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:49 pm
4revgreen wrote a review...

Hey there! I'm hoping to get to chapter eight sometime today, if I stay on track. I think I owe you a lot of reviews since you've done so many for me!

Like before, I'll start with the places I think could need improvement before moving onto my general thoughts :-)

I like the opening. I'm intrigued to find out how this relates to the prologue! But you've started two sentences in a row with the pronoun 'she'. This is a little repetitive.

I mean, I'll have to do it eventually. she reasoned.

Since you've now established that the italics are Alice's thoughts, you don't need the 'she reasoned' part

What? I'm not going to do that.
Fine. I'll come. She wrote.

I like this part! This is a nice insight into Alice's character :-)

She left her phone in her room, because she knew her parents had one of those tracker app thingies. She snuck out the door and jogged a couple blocks over to Violet's house, where she saw several cars in the driveway.

Like I said before, starting two sentences in a row with 'she' is repetitive and it doesn't flow as well.

"Hi Alice! I'm so glad you could make it without getting caught," said Violet cheerfully. Violet had raven black hair and was wearing red lipstick.

We know it's Violet, so you should just start the second sentence with 'she' or it's a little repetitive.

Alice then saw the most horrible thing she had ever seen, other than on TV.

The 'other than TV' part completely takes away from the fact that this is the most horrible thing she's ever seen. You don't need it.

Oh, no! she thought.

Her house just burnt down, and all she can think is 'Oh no! ?? This is a chance for some really horrific descriptions, to explore Alice's emotions!

I love this ending!

This chapter was interesting. It was so different from the prologue, but I'm guessing it all links together soon! I love the fact that you left it on a cliff hanger!

I do wish there were more descriptions. All your descriptions are very simple and though this may jus be your style, it makes the piece a little...bland. I don't mean this in a harsh way, but I think this story us great and has so much potential! You had the opportunity to give some detailed and emotional descriptions about the fires but you kinda just skipped over them!

Once again, I feel like the main character, Alice, is lacking characterisation. I want to like her! But she just seems like any other person. The interactions with Violet over text and her conversation with Isaac were nice, but they were the perfect opportunities to get across her personality! If you'd added more speech in, you could develop on her character. I want to know her personality!

I hope this doesn't seem too harsh. It's actually really good, but I think everyone has the chance to improve and so that's how I structure these reviews!

I love the concept of this story!

Thanks for the review! And yeah, descriptions were never my strong suit.

4revgreen says...

Maybe that's something you could practice during this coronavirus pandemic XD I can always try to help you out? I'm not sure how great of a teacher I can be though aha

Yeah, my strong suit is more stuff like plot and ideas, not descriptions. And yeah, I know generally how you're supposed to write good descriptions, what with describing about all the sense not just sight and stuff, but I'm not very good at putting it into practice. As for you teaching me, you can give me tips if you wanna, but even just reading you're chapters helps me!

4revgreen says...

I can always put together a little word document or something with how I come up with descriptions, as it's not like I have much else to do !
Usually, I just write descriptions as I feel like it should go, I don't go by the stuff taught in schools otherwise you're constantly worrying about whether you need a simile or metaphor or if you've got all 5 senses. You should only include those things if they come natural and feel right! That's my general advice

It's good advice.

Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:41 pm
KatjaDawn wrote a review...

Hey Necromancer14! Katja here to review Chapter one. As always please feel free to disregard any comments or suggestions I make if you find them unhelpful. Onto the review~

Overall Thoughts

Chapter one shifts to a fifteen-year-old character, Alice Wilkins. She is not allowed to go to her friend's party since she was backtalking her parents but she decides to sneak out anyway after some coercion from Violet, her friend hosting the party. When she returns home, several houses including her own have been burnt down. On the rubble stands a figure with glowing blue eyes (our teen boy from the prologue?).

Very interesting direction you took this chapter. I like how the tone is very different from the prologue. At the end of this chapter, it doesn't tell us definitely if the boy is responsible for the destruction, but we can assume so.

Overall very cool story so far!

Suggestions

Mainly I wonder why Alice doesn't react as strongly as one would expect a 15-year-old to. She has a bit of a falling out with her parents and snuck out (she even felt guilty about that at the party) yet the mentioned emotional reactions weren't very strong. I feel like there could be more emotion put into her reactions- she thinks her parents are dead and her house is destroyed- a strange figure can be seen in the rubble.... but she simply frowns upon seeing this... I feel like terror, fear, anguish, confusion packed in a little more would really seal the deal here. Just my thoughts, though!

Oh and also, if Alice was able to notice the figure, I wondered why nobody else did? The police, in particular, you'd expect to be paying close attention. Not so much a suggestion as a comment~

That's all I have for suggestions!

Summary

Loving the plot so far! My only suggestion is on focussing on character reactions and development to help the reader feel especially affected by what's happening and empathize with the character. Overall very excited to read the next chapter and see where this goes! :)

I hope my review was helpful!

Keep Writing,

~Katja

Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:47 am
raj2208 wrote a review...

Damn! When I started reading, everything about Alice screamed "TEENAGE". I liked how you wrote "Eventually gave in", to me personally, that made the whole dialogue sound like she hated her parents for not letting her go to the party, but she also wasn't that excited to go either, it was just the factor of "to spite your parents" thing. If I would have written that, I'd write "caved in" but "gave in" makes Alice a character with more depth. This is my first review so I don't know if any of this makes sense, but I need to review to get reviewed goddamit! And like, I am reading stories but I don't have anything to review until I saw this one.
Okay, in most writings, the story often focuses on developing the main character, or world-building, meaning there is some time before everything kicks into action, what I love is how your story makes it all effortless into one piece, where you also get what kind of person Alice is, and with, literally a fucking explosion(Which I wanna know what happened), you kickstarted the story into action, by defining the problem. It is also relatable, like a lot of times when you fight with someone you love a lot, and you realize they shouldn't get hurt while you're fighting, cause that would be the worst, so it speaks to me.
Atlanta is hot, like really, so the trope subversion "she wished she was wearing more than just a t-shirt" is appreciated. I mean, there are a lot of things to be said about this chapter alone. When you introduced the extra-ordinary element, I was actually thinking of things, like I bet it's a UFO, I bet its aliens, or maybe area 51. Apart from cultural influences, that might have clouded my judgment, I was so intrigued at whatever the heck is going to happen and the ambiguity of what is going on near the end, by just giving the obvious of details you've hooked me as a reader.
The ending of course, was a WHAT THE FUCK!?!? ending, If you go on, I'd want you to destroy the character of Alice even more(Cause I like that trope personally) but whatever you do, I WANT TO READ IT.
This might have sounded like a fan message rather than a review, and I'm really sorry that I didn't get you to get better in your writing, or improve it or whatever. But I mean, it's my first review, so forgive me, please?

Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:19 am
Asith wrote a review...

Hello! Glad to read another of your stories! I'm excited to see a long, coherent story cut up into chapters from you :)

I really enjoyed the way this started. It felt natural, which is often the piece that's missing with teenager-based openings. That being said, I do think Alice is missing a bit of character. Natural is great, but generic teenager shouldn't be taken for granted. Sure, it's easy for readers to slap the teenage character into Alice, but it would be much better for you to bring it out yourself. Focus on her decision making more -- sneaking away from her parents is still big, even if she's the rebellious type. Focus on the guilt -- maybe talk about her trip to the party and how she didn't feel secure until she'd entered. Basically, I think it would be better to focus on her fear and introspection than her affliction with cute boys. (Or just do both :p)

The description of the thing falling from the sky was pretty well done. I can definitely see it in my head, so that's a win for imagery. However, the bit with the wind seemed unnecessary. (It was great actually, but perhaps it should have come sooner). I'd have preferred focusing on the thing in the sky, or even just more of Alice's thoughts about getting home quickly.

The ending was very impactful, so that's a win. One thing that was the fact that she saw her parents and didn't immediately rush to that ambulance. It's a little off that she would explore the rubble of her house, and it's usually better to make characters do things that make sense for them rather than things necessary for the plot.

Regardless, the introduction of the figure was gripping, and makes me want to read on, so kudos :D

Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:53 am
keystrings wrote a review...

Hm interesting! I've come from the prologue to take a peek at this next chapter, yet this is a lot different than what I thought would happen. This seems like the scientists from before might not end up being too important in at least the first few chapters, and I'm not quite sure if I like that or not.

Either way, I do have a few notes on this first chapter, especially after reading the prologue.

1. As the other reviewer noted below me, I'm getting a whole lot of "teenager-vibe" here that I wasn't getting previously. In fact, if this is going to be more of the tone of the novel, as in, teenagers needing to deal with aliens and superpowers and saving the world, then I think getting rid of the prologue all together would do you a lot more good than harm. Especially because then the appearance of the mysterious teenage boy gives off even more of a surprise appeal since we didn't just read about the whole experimentation in the last section.

2. Furthermore, I don't know if I like Alice's character just yet. Especially with teenagers, and the unavoidable angst and poor decisions, I'm decisive whether I like most young adult characters, especially females ones and sometimes I can't connect well with them at all. I can certainly feel pity for her losing her parents, but I do think expanding on her emotions here could really portray a more realistic approach to her sudden grief, and why exactly she would risk getting more in trouble with her parents by sneaking out of the house.

3. I'm quite curious, however, about who this unknown figure will end up being (besides clearly otherworldly) and what role he will have in this story. Will other teenagers lose their parents? Is his goal really set in stone as far as apparently destroying parts of the Earth? Interesting stuff here. I kind of hope that the scientists make a reappearance sometime to give a little more of their logic and knowledge about the alien world.

That's all for now! I'll be checking out chapter two next. ^^

Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:33 am
Que wrote a review...

Hi again, Necromancer!

Wow, the first thing I noticed here was the sudden tone shift. If I hadn't read the prologue, I would have assumed this story would be going somewhere very different. It's interesting that you can switch things up like that. :)

What? I'm not going to do that.

I think she actually snuck out the back door? But I definitely think a shopping excuse wouldn't work, if her parents won't let her go out to a party, then they're probably not going to let her do anything else on her own that evening. So her sneakiness in getting out should probably be emphasized.

Sort of a weird side-note, but I feel like 15-year-old girls are more likely to squeal over boys being "super cute" rather than "handsome", which has a more formal tone. :)

Everybody continued partying late into the night, not noticing the multiple police and ambulance sirens that were going by outside.

Alice is narrating, though, so that means that they did notice... plus, I just feel like teenagers at parties in general would make a comment on sirens or whatever was going on outside just because that seems to happen. I'm not sure. But you sort of slip into an omniscient narration here when you talk about the others not noticing the sirens!

She looked up at the stars which were fairly dim. I suppose that's what you get for living in Chicago, or any city really, she thought.

Facts right there! XD

She ran the rest of the way home to warm herself up, confused and bewildered about the thing she just saw.

I imagine she's also running because she's a little freaked out and she's walking home by herself in the nighttime! Those might be good feelings to expand on, and maybe even regret for going to the party.

This would almost be the time to use the "she didn't notice" if you're going to use an omniscient point of view--"Through her blur of tears, she hardly noticed the figure standing atop the rubble, but she could've sworn there was a flash of bright blue, and she couldn't escape the feeling that it was someone's eyes." I just think that being a little more vague here might help--and I also think that Alice would be a lot more traumatized!!

I'm not sure if Alice is going to be a player in future chapters, or if she's just here to set the scene for our alien friend. Assuming the latter, I think you do a nice job of this! There's a girl sneaking out, partying with friends, worrying about guys and her parents. But it all becomes irrelevant when her parents are killed and her house is burned down, all because of Mysterious Figure. I think if you could heighten the emotional tension a bit, like maybe the party doesn't go well because Violet is too busy flirting, then Alice would be a lot more regretful and feeling bad about talking back to her parents, which would make it more devastating to see her house destroyed.

Again, I'm interested in finding out more about our alien friend! Clearly he's got some sort of destruction in mind... Can't wait to see what happens! Keep up the good writing. :)

-Q

Anamel wrote a review...

Alright, I'll start off with your first paragraph. I think it's not too bad if you introduce her name immediately, though you could also show instead of telling us and let her mother call her name from downstairs or something of that sort. I also don't think you need to tell us she's fifteen right off the bat. We could infer that later on with some details you give. It's important to have a balance of showing and telling.

" Violet James."
This is a small nitpick, but I suppose I just wonder why their last names are so important. Not anything you need to remove I'm just curious I guess.

"Hey Alice, u wanna come over to my party? It read."
I think you could leave the It read part out, although it's up to you.

"Alice hopped out of bed and went down the stairs. What they don't know won't hurt them, she thought, trying to compensate for her guilt. Besides, if they were nicer I wouldn't have to do things sneakily."

I like how you show us some of her personality in here.

"She left her phone in her room, because she new her parents had one of those tracker app thingies."
*Knew

"She snuck out the door and jogged a couple blocks over to Violet's house, where she saw several cars in the driveway. Then she rang the doorbell.

It opened to reveal Violet, who let her inside."

This is kind of just telling us again. Perhaps add some more detail. What does the street/neighborhood look like? What's the weather like? What's Violet's house look like, etc

"Violet had raven black hair was wearing red lipstick. Alice had blonde hair and hadn't had time to put on any makeup. she felt embarrassed."
Maybe reword the way you describe her black hair. Ex: "Raven's black hair swept over her shoulders and her bold, red lipstick could easily attract any man's attention." Sometimes going into a lot of detail on appearences can help the reader picture it more. Also, maybe you could describe how Alice's hair is messy or something.

"They went inside, where everybody was eating pizza and a boom box was playing rap music overly loud."

Overly loud sounds a bit awkward, maybe just replace it with "too loud" or "annoyingly loud".

"That was the look Violet gave all the handsomest boys."
I honestly have no idea of handsomest is a word or not, though I doubt it. Maybe just say the most handsome.

"She looked up at the stars which were fairly dim. I suppose that's what you get for living in Chicago, or any city really, she thought. "

Good way of sneaking where she lives in there.

"Alice then saw the most horrible thing she had ever seen, other than on TV."
I think you can leave the TV part out. Without it it sounds more bold.

Also, woah! I was not expecting that whole scene at all. I thought it was gonna be a standard teenage life story. I'm quite surprised and taken aback in a very good way. Great way of hooking the readers in.

Yes, it does sort of start out as a normal teenager story if you don't read the prologue. Also, "handsomest" is a word. Thanks for the review!

The author of my life has some ambitious ideas for me to become a super villain
— FireEyes