Home » Literary works » Novel / Chapter » Science Fiction

The Cosmic Dragon: Chapter 9

by Necromancer14

Alice felt very confused and angry. Normally, she knew exactly what she wanted to happen to fix things. This time, however, she was extremely confused, and that heightened her anger. She wished that her parents hadn’t been injured, that her house hadn’t been destroyed, and that she would stop being completely bewildered with all this crazy stuff going on. She didn’t even know what to believe anymore. Everyone was telling her something different.

She sat in the interrogation room waiting for the person who was going to interrogate her to come in. The room was very sparse and dreary, with boring steel walls and no windows. She was sitting in a wooden chair with a table in front of her, and there was another chair on the other side. She heard a fan buzzing away somewhere.

The door opened, and a guy dressed in a black suit walked in. Two more people holding hand guns came in behind him and stood behind the man in the black suit. Alice looked at his face and noticed a scar on the man’s bottom lip. The man looked fairly old.

“Hello, Alice. My name is Donnovan Gaver,” he said gently. “I’m going to ask you a few questions. Is that all right?”

“Depends on what the questions are,” Alice replied grumpily. The man frowned.

“First question; what do you know about the alien?” he said, ignoring her statement. She noticed that his breath smelled like garlic.

“He’s a dragon,” she said bluntly. She thought for a second. “And he can read minds.”

Donnovan raised his eyebrows. “He can read minds?”

Oops, thought Alice. I’m not going to tell them anything more until I found out who actually hurt my parents. She didn’t believe it was the dragon at all anymore. He didn’t seem at all mean. Plus, he had even saved her life.

“I said, are you sure he can read minds?” asked Donnovan, pulling Alice out of her thoughts.

“Oh, um, maybe?” mumbled Alice nervously.

“Okay, what else do you know?” he interrogated.

“Not much,” answered Alice.

“But a little?”

“No, not really,” answered Alice. “When can I go? It’s like a jail in here.”

The man stared at her intensely for several seconds. Alice felt a strangely familiar headache explode in her brain.

“Hm. I suppose you can go now,” he said to her. “You’ve given me everything that I need.”

He left the room, followed by the other two men. Alice sat in the chair, rubbing her forehead. Where had that headache come from? It seemed to have come out of nowhere.

“Hello Alice, Time to go. We’ll bring you straight to your neighborhood.”

Alice looked up to see who had spoken. It was a young woman, dressed in gray office clothes. Alice stumbled off the seat, still rubbing her forehead. They both walked out into the hallway.

“Are you okay?” asked the woman.

“I’ve got a splitting headache,” Alice answered, just as it started to fade at a dramatically noticeable rate. “Wait... It’s gone now.”

“Oh, well okay then. So now you’re okay?” the woman questioned.

“Yes,” was Alice’s reply. They both walked out of the hallway, turning into a different hallway. They eventually arrived in a small room filled with a bunch of people. Alice looked around at them. She saw Dr. Remington. What? What is happening? she thought. She looked at her escort, who was suddenly looking very familiar. She was one of the scientists at the lab place. Alice then looked up at the security camera.

“Don’t worry, it’s running on a loop,” said the woman she was with. Alice blinked, confused. She looked over at everyone.

“Um… guys, what’s going on?” she asked, seeing a mix of resolve and nervousness in their expressions.

“Can we trust you?” asked Dr. Remington to Alice.

“For what?” Alice asked. Melissa sighed.

“I suppose we have no choice but to involve you, because we need to act now. We’re going to rescue Shadowscale,” Melissa stated bluntly.

“Oh! Um…” Alice was filled with fear. What if they were caught? They might put her in jail, possibly for the rest of her life! “No way. You guys go ahead. No way am I doing an illegal rescue mission. Not a chance. I’m not some kind of hero.”

Dr. Remington’s face was tight. “I know you don’t want to. You’re probably terrified. We all are. That doesn’t mean we’re not going to do the right thing.”

“But I don’t even know if it is the right thing to do! I mean, I think I do, but I don’t know for sure! I just have this doubt in the back of my mind that maybe I’m wrong… and still, I couldn’t. I’m too scared.” Alice did not mean to give that emotional of an answer. It didn’t help that she was starting to cry, as she felt tears welling up. She wiped them on her sleeve in an attempt to get rid of them. Unfortunately, they kept coming, and Jane came up and hugged her. She hugged back.

Dr. Remington watched, looking rather uncomfortable. “We need to leave and do this now. We can’t waste any more time. It’s now or never.”

Alice rubbed her eyes. I can do this, she thought, squashing her mountain of fear. “I… I guess I can help with the rescue mission,” she said to Melissa Remington. “What’s the plan?”

“Okay, sorry that this is so terrifying to you, Alice. So, first of all, everyone go to your assigned team. Alice, you’re on team one with us,” answered Melissa. “First, team four, you will go out, down hallway three.” She showed everybody the map. “When you get to the end, there should be the weapons storage. Use your key cards that we stole to get in and arm yourselves.

“While you’re doing that, team three will head down hallway two, along with team two, who will break off and head down hallway five when you get there. Team two, act as suspicious as you can. When team three arrives at the end of the hallway, you will be met with team four who will arm you. Unlock the door, and inside should be the security room with the security cameras. Now, I know you guys haven’t really fought before, but you have to take out the security guards, both outside and inside the door.

“After that, hopefully guards will be going after team two while the security cameras are out. So, team one will head to the containment cells and wake up Shadowscale with this anti-sedative, and he will probably be able to break us all out of here. Any questions?”

Melissa repeated the instructions several more times, and then teams two, three, and four were off. This is so terrifying, thought Alice. We literally just have to sit tight and hope they don’t run into any problems. This is even worse than being one of the people actually doing this part of the mission.

Alice’s hands were getting extremely sweaty, and her face was getting cold. She felt a hard knot at the bottom of her stomach. It didn’t go away. She took a deep breath. It’s just like in the movies. The good guys always win, she thought. But they usually run into problems and get caught first, she realized a moment later. That thought sent another huge wave of anxiety shooting down her spine, and the knot in her stomach got tighter.

The seconds felt like minutes, and she closed her eyes, wishing she were anywhere else. Where did her burst of bravery go? That burst of bravery that had caused her to challenge Shadowscale? She wished she knew the answer.

Finally, the communication device beeped, flashing a green light.

“That means they succeeded. Time to go,” said Melissa. Alice, Jane, Melissa, and the other scientists walked out the door. Nobody said anything as they walked. They were all too intent on the task at hand. They speed-walked through the gray walled, boring base, eventually arriving at the cell room hall. The cells didn’t have windows, and Alice could hear the occasional scraping on the other side of the thick titanium doors. I don’t want to know what’s on the other side of those, she thought.

“Here we are,” said Melissa, sounding relieved. They were at cell no. 13. “And without being caught, too.”

“I wouldn’t be too sure of that,” said a gravelly voice behind them. Alice turned around to see who it was. It was her interrogator, Donnovan Gaver. Oh no! thought Alice. Donnovan had a strange smile on his scarred face. “Nice try. You’re all going straight back to your cells, along with your other accomplices. Who, by the way, don’t know how to fight at all.”

He held up a communications device, the same kind that Melissa had. “I found this on one of your fellow trouble makers. You know what happened next, Remington.”

“You pushed the green button.” Melissa sounded completely dejected as she talked. She didn’t seem to have any hope.

“You guessed it. Now, since you’ve caused me this much trouble… I think I’m going to put you all in the genetic experiments room. We could use some more test subjects,” Donnovan said. Then he turned to Alice. “I’m disappointed in you, Miss Wilkins. You had a chance at normal life, and now you’ve ruined that chance.”

Alice stared at him in horror. How could this happen? The good guys are supposed to win! And this guy is supposed to just be mistaken, not evil, she thought. Also… What's the “genetic experiments room?”

Something told Alice that she didn’t want to know.

IIUMBRELLAZ wrote a review...

This is a really neat story. I’d say your biggest strength here is that you write really vivid descriptions. I really enjoyed your characters, especially Alice who is very interesting to read about and I love that she is stubborn enough to hold her own opinion.
Though I had a bad feeling once Alice recognized some of the people that this wouldn’t turn out well ... that’s very not good for her and the rest of the rescue team!

Your chapters are very interesting. My favorite line from this chapter though particularly is this one--

"She took a deep breath. It’s just like in the movies. The good guys always win, she thought. But they usually run into problems and get caught first, she realized a moment later"

I like how she made that relation because she isn't wrong, this is what superheroes have to go through because it's not all fun and games.

This is really interesting and I look forward to reading more pieces from you. I hope you continue to keep up the hard work.
As always, KEEP WRITING!
:)

JesseWrites wrote a review...

This was very detailed. I loved how you made Alice act throughout. This is a very promising piece. I can't wait for more chapters. Alice is a special character with a complex personality. She is interesting to read.

I really enjoyed this story and the characters you have made. The plot is also very cool and something I rarely see.

Good job!
~S.M.Locke~

Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:06 pm
EditorAndPerks wrote a review...

Hello hello! I’m excited to see this next chapter and dive more into Alice and who the I.S.U.E. are.

I like that Alice is stubborn enough to hold her own opinion about Shadowscale, that he wasn’t the kind of bad guy she thought he ha been, or that something had changed. However, I can appreciate that as a teenager, she sometimes doesn’t think hard about what she should really say to these interrogators, and probably said too much, with the whole mind reading thing.

However, although Alice might be the I.S.U.E.’s best interview at the moment as she had direct contact with Shadowscale, but she is a teenager, and I don’t know if they should take her words as the “absolute truth” regardless of what her answers would turn out to be. This seems like a really scary scenario for Alice though - being questioned about her circumstances and this dragon with no exit in sight?

I had a bad feeling once Alice recognized some of the people that this wouldn’t turn out well ... that’s very not good for her and the rest of the rescue team! One question I do have is whether Alice really was needed in this rescue mission or not. From her own words, she wasn’t going to be too useful as her current state of mind isn’t great and she’s a regular teenager, but I wonder if something will come up later in the story.

Right now though, I’m a bit nervous for everyone here. Genetic experiment can only mean and things for them, not to mention Alice can’t just go home now! I have a feeling that Isaac might come back to play a role in saving Alice in the future.

This was really interesting and fun! Alice’s personality is shining through, of her being stubborn but naturally unsure of what she should believe. I’m looking forward to the next chapter!

Thanks for the review! The reason she went with them is because, well, what else were they going to do with her? Leave her there?

Lol that is pretty fair. That would have been funny if they just left her there though haha.

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.
— Groucho Marx