Home » Literary works » Novel / Chapter » Science Fiction

The Cosmic Dragon: Chapter 14

by Necromancer14

Isaac woke up abruptly from Unknown number one slapping his face to wake him.

“Ergh what time is it?” he asked, just just as the sun came over the horizon.

“Time for you to wake up,” was the alien’s reply. He was back in human mode, wearing his shades. “Now come. This is your parents house, I believe?”

“You are leaving me here?” asked Isaac.

“Yes,” replied Unknown number one.

“You know, I never caught your name. I’m guessing it’s not ‘Unknown number one,’” said Isaac.

“No, it’s not.” Unknown number one gave a slight smile. “It’s Shadowscale. And as for your name, there’s no need to introduce yourself; I know that you are Isaac Johnson.”

Isaac looked at his parent’s house. He hadn’t seen them for so long. They never approved of him joining I.S.U.E. “It’s a cool organization! And I’ll be making 50k bucks a year, which is a lot of money for a kid my age. What’s wrong with that?” he had asked.

“I don’t trust these guys. Extraterrestrials? Don’t be ridiculous. You’ve got your head in the clouds, son. Besides, what kind of government agency hires fourteen-year-olds?” had been his Dad’s response.

Isaac was sixteen now, and he realized that it had really been two years since he had seen his parents. Why didn’t I visit? He pondered. He answered his own question. Because you knew that they disapproved. You couldn’t bear to face them. You told yourself that you didn’t have the time.

Isaac had been living in an apartment nearby the underground I.S.U.E. bunker since he got the job. He again thought about what his Dad had said. “What kind of government agency hires fourteen-year-olds?” Well, his Dad had been right. His dream job of course had a catch, meaning the founder, Donnovan Gaver, was some sort of extraterrestrial psychopath who wanted to take over the world to enslave humanity and at the same time stop pollution.

Isaac of course wanted pollution to stop, but like Shadowscale had said earlier to Donnovan: “This planet can be fixed, but cruelty and force is not the answer.”

“Isaac,” said Shadowscale, adjusting his sunglasses.

“Yeah?” asked Isaac.

“Don’t tell your parents, or anybody really, about all of this. Donnovan might kill them to keep information from leaking out into the world,” Shadowscale told him.

“What about me?” asked Isaac. “Won’t he, um, kill me too for knowing this stuff?”

“Probably. I’ve got some saving business to do, and you would just be in the way. When I’m done saving Melissa Remington, the other scientists, and any other prisoners, I’ll come right back here to pick you up,” explained Shadowscale. “But in the meantime, lie low, and don’t cause any sort of commotion or anything that would get attention.”

“I wasn’t planning on it,” Isaac told him.

“Good. Now, I’ll see you in a few days.”

“Bye.”

“Bye.”

Isaac watched as Shadowscale zapped upward in a flash of electricity. Then Isaac turned around and walked up the driveway to his parent’s house. The house was not the nicest house, but at the same time it was not the worst. There was nothing special about it; just plain white paneling and a neatly-mown yawn. He looked up at the garage and saw that a certain broken window still hadn’t been fixed. He arrived at the front door, paused before ringing the doorbell, sighed, and then tentatively pushed the button, hearing the ding-dong! inside the house.

The door opened, and his Mom stood there. Isaac and his mother just sort of stared at each other awkwardly. What do I say? wondered Isaac. I’ve been away for just two years, and already my own mother seems like a stranger? What is this?

His mother ran up to him and wrapped him in a hug. He stood there and tentatively hugged her back, though he generally disliked physical contact.

“Isaac?” asked his mother. “Did... something happen? Were you fired?”

Isaac heard hopefulness in her voice even though she tried to hide it. He answered; “No, I quit the job because of, well… it’s classified, actually. I can’t say.”

“Oh. I won’t ask then,” she said, though she sounded relieved that he had quit.

“You do know that I’ll take the next investigator job opportunity that becomes available, right?” he said to her.

“Or you could get a less dangerous job,” she offered.

Isaac sighed. He knew that his mother still thought of him as her little baby boy.

“Anyway, would you like to come in? Your bedroom was made into a storage room, but we can take all of the stuff out,” she said.

“I guess,” he mumbled. He walked in, and stared around. He felt a strange feeling of nostalgia from seeing his parent’s house again after two years.

“How’s school?” she asked. “You’re still in school, right?”

“I was in the special I.S.U.E. training program. That was my school. I completed it about three months ago,” Isaac said. He chatted with his Mom some more, and then walked up to his old bedroom and sat on the bed next to the box of baby toys sitting there. He heard a ding, and looked at his phone. Jeez, Josh, really? he thought, seeing the billion or so texts from his popular friend. Half of them were Josh asking if Isaac was there or if he had died or something.

Yes, I’m alive. I was just a tad busy. Isaac wrote.

Busy wth what? came an almost instant reply.

Work. Isaac tapped.

Yeah, right. U never tell me about this “work” of yours. I’m not buying yur whole “government classified” excuse.

Well, I just quit my job. Happy now?

Yes. Now u have no excuse to not show up at my parties.

Isaac didn’t reply. He sighed. It would be hard to live life like normal after all that had just happened.

His phone got another notification, and he saw another text from Josh. It read, bty I actually do have a party planned this evening at 10 pm. U better come. And try not to be too late.

Isaac collapsed backwards on his bed, using the stack of old magazines as a pillow. He was really tired and didn’t want to have to talk to a bunch of Josh’s acquaintances at another crazy party. He’d much rather just lay there in bed and take a nap for the whole day.

I should really stop letting Josh drag me to party after party, he thought. Unfortunately, he didn’t have any good excuse other than ‘It’s been a long night and I’m tired,’ to avoid the inevitable. Isaac internally grumbled a bit more and then decided to take a nap anyway, albeit a short one, because he still had the whole day to wait until ten o’clock in the evening. He didn’t know why he was so tired; after all, he had just slept a few minutes ago on Shadowscale’s back. Then again, before then he had been up all night for the last couple days working for I.S.U.E.

Isaac set his alarm for 7 pm and promptly fell asleep among all of the magazines and boxes of toys.

Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:12 pm

Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening/Night (whatever it is when you get around to reading this),

Two more chapters! Two more chapters!

Okay first impression: I think this is a great break from all the action. After all those action packed scenes that moved rather fast we've finally gotten a bit of a breather to sort out all of what's been going on. Its written pretty well.

That's kinda rude. Maybe have him shake him awake.

Isaac had been living in an apartment nearby the underground I.S.U.E. bunker since he got the job. He again thought about what his Dad had said. “What kind of government agency hires fourteen-year-olds?” Well, his Dad had been right.

This seems a little irresponsible on the part of his parents. It's hard to believe that they wouldn't do more to stop Isaac from taking this job. But then did his Donnovan character manipulate the parents somehow? That sort of thing seems to be the only plausible way.

Pretty good description.

Okay that seemed to be over rather quickly. You'd think a parent who hasn't seen her child for a couple of years would be interrogating him by now. I hope you put some more conversation between Isaac and his parents and have them act a bit more inquisitive.

So Josh is going to be back in the story. Interesting if he is going to play a bigger role and see how Alice's disappearance will have been noted among Violet and that crowd.

I should really stop letting Josh drag me to party after party, he thought. Unfortunately, he didn’t have any good excuse other than ‘It’s been a long night and I’m tired,’ to avoid the inevitable. (Can't he just say no. He is an agent. This seems silly how he can't seem to say no to Josh) Isaac internally grumbled a bit more and then decided to take a nap anyway, albeit a short one, because he still had the whole day to wait until ten o’clock in the evening.

And that's it for that chapter. One more to go.

Overall as I said earlier this was a nice break from the action and it's positioned pretty well too. I'm really liking the plot now that it's pretty clear what it's going to end up being. And hopefully Isaac's backstory gets explained a bit more thoroughly.

Anyway Imma head over to that final chapter. Then I can rest... correction start work on the third chapter of my novel.

As always not trying to be harsh. Sorry if I come off that way. Take what you think is useful and forget the rest.

Stay Safe :)

EditorAndPerks wrote a review...

Hello! I am excited to see where this goes next, and I like getting more of Isaac's view.

I always like learning more about characters' backstories, including any family, friends, history, anything like that, so I'm excited to learn more about Isaac, or at least see how he views himself and his past. To start as an "extra-terrestrial investigator" at fourteen makes me concerned about what kind of parents would allow their son to get that kind of job - i.e. child labor laws, the fact that he most likely hasn't been attending some kind of school for two years, (middle/junior-high and now high school at sixteen) is also worrisome.

The funny thing is the contrast between Alice and Isaac - both around the same age, but living completely different lives; and whereas the former has her life completely changed at the appearance of "different" creatures, Isaac has already been living a totally crazy life. It's interesting to see the different walks of life characters can have, and how they most certainly affected their personalities, motivations, and many more things entirely.

I suppose if Isaac hadn't been home in two years, then he was somehow living at I.S.U.E., and still, I can't wrap my head around parents allowing their child to just go and live somewhere else while working an obviously dangerous-sounding job? There can be such a thing of giving your kid independence, but that kind of independence seems just a little wrong in my book. I think letting this kind thing happen would make more sense if this world seemed more high-tech, or totally different futuristic world, but as far as I've read, things don't seem too unlike our typical world.

Yes, there are organizations looking for "alien" creatures and clearly researchers behind the scenes manipulating technological devices, but nothing really that strikes me as "changing around most social norms such as typical family relations and importance of school." Maybe if you want to make this a little more relatable, then the initial reactions of Josh/Alice/characters that find out Isaac is this kind of investigator could be something related to "Oh, I've heard about that program" or explained a little further in the "social" world development, if that makes sense.

I actually like that this chapter felt a little slower and established the next few plot points: Shadowscale going to rescue the researchers still captured in I.S.U.E., then Isaac somehow living a normal life for at least the next few days. Interesting! I also like to talk a lot about world development/social aspects because I'm very interested in those kinds of details. Looking forward to the next portion!

Thanks for the review! And yeah, I didn't really think about the fact normal parents wouldn't let him. Also for school the I.S.U.E. training program gives him high-school credit. But yeah. What you said definitely makes sense and I'll try and think of some sort of explanation to fit in. :)

I am a guard of the green order and I am the captain of the guard of troops who protect the strong holds of YWS.
— LadyBird