z

Young Writers Society



Family Dinner

by niteowl



Baklava and apple pie
sit on the table, because
I loved apple pie once.

Yia-Yia says there's ice cream too,
because you don't leave the table 
until your stomach explodes. 

We were just saying 
that we need to lose weight,

my mother says, fighting
so that maybe she'll have
grandkids someday. 

But it's for my Nicole,
you like it, honey-mou?" 


My taste buds say yes, 
but my stomach won't yield.  

Dad says he'll have some
Matt! You can't have all that
sugar! 
Mother says

so she can take it 
and eat every
last 
bite.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
3821 Reviews


Points: 3891
Reviews: 3821

Donate
Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:29 pm
Snoink wrote a review...



Niteowl. I am really, really not hungry because I had a huge lunch. Like, I am not even sure how I ate that much (except that it was friggin' decision). In fact, I feel kind of like becoming a python and spreading out to digest, actually. But this poem makes me want to have baklava. *flails*

Anyway, this poem is really cute and I love how it joins the generations together over one of the best times to be a family ever -- dinner time. It's just really cute to see how the different generations interact with each other and everything!

The only thing is that I think it might have too many inside jokes? There were times, anyway, in which I kind of stared at the words and thought, "Eh... I don't quite understand that." So, it feels (to me) like peering in on someone else's family dinner, but not having all the context.

Still, it really is a cute poem... even though it highlights the fact that I don't have baklava. (Woe!)




User avatar
1334 Reviews


Points: 25864
Reviews: 1334

Donate
Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:21 pm
Hannah wrote a review...



Ohhh, nite. I like this premise. I think it's really relevant and true. Old time food didn't care at all about health. They needed to fatten their families up to keep them looking healthy from all the hard work they did. And now that we're going into a period in time when we don't really chop firewood anymore, that food goes to harming us instead. But we can't shake off the feeling that this good old comfort food should be GOOD for us, and refusing it is really hard.

I love that you have a four part environment going on. I love that you give a level that lots of people in the world can relate to. Only the grandfathers are really left out.

And what I really like is that it's not just about eating a piece of baklava or apple pie. It's secretly about respect or at what point family becomes less important than the individual, and what is support, and what does support mean, and when are you successful in supporting one another: when you make sacrifice so there's no temptation for others?

As for the writing in this poem, I'd like to see some attention paid to these lines:

my mother says, fighting
so that maybe she'll have
grandkids someday.

But it's for my Nicole,
you like it, honey-mou?"

My taste buds say yes,
but my stomach won't yield.


It's a hard passage to deal with because it tries to take us down from the fast pace of the first stanzas to the deliberateness of the last. I think it tries to say too much in a tone that doesn't match the kind of voice that would say,

because you don't leave the table
until your stomach explodes.


Maybe you need to think about where you'd bring that direct address in again. What would make the speaker speak to us one more time and keep us in the loop to carry us through to the end?

Hope this was helpful.
Good luck and keep writing!
PM me if you have any questions or comments about my review~




User avatar
20 Reviews


Points: 276
Reviews: 20

Donate
Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:07 pm
starlinks wrote a review...



I really like this poem and its originality! It brings family dinner alive, and it's a very relatable (yet seldom written) topic that leaps right off the page. I especially like your last stanza and how to ended with "every\last\bite."
I also like how you managed to engage dialogue in the poem. Good job!




niteowl says...


Thanks! :)



User avatar
20 Reviews


Points: 380
Reviews: 20

Donate
Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:45 pm
mayyda wrote a review...



Hey Niteowl,
First , let me appreciate that you dare chose an interesting yet a unique topic bringing out new dimension and diversity to the poem, that actually exists.
One thing that I always say is that once you come up with some idea, just revise it and make it more presentable so that others can grab the idea.
Obviously we can not get the real insight as poet intends, yet somehow one succeed relating it to one's own life.
Last try making the poem a bit symmetrical, you may have the liberty to use any style of writing, still using some pattern would be most appreciable.
You may not agree to all points but this is what I felt as a reader and being personally into the poem thing, hope it helps you some way.
Best of luck with your work, you've got the potential.
Best wishes.




niteowl says...


Thanks for the review!



User avatar
1260 Reviews


Points: 1630
Reviews: 1260

Donate
Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:45 pm
Elinor wrote a review...



Hey niteowl,

This is a really cute poem! It reminds me of the holidays and everything my family cooks around Thanksgiving and Christmas. It really evokes what it feels like to be with family during that time of year, which I like.

My one concern, though, is that isn't very poetic. There isn't much imagery or a real sense of rhythm, and I feel like if you took away the poetic formatting and added a few linking words, it would read like prose. I'm also not sure how I feel about the dialogue within the piece, because it just makes it confusing.

It's hard to follow. Who is the narrator? How old is he? Is Nicole his wife or his daughter? Who is Yia-Yia? Is it the holidays, or just a normal family dinner? What are the circumstances of this family. Why are they so concerned about apple pie?

I don't understand who is all at the table or what the point is really. They don't want to eat pie, but then they eat it anyway? I mean, I guess that's nice, but it's not the sort of thing that leaves much impression after you read it. I want a vivid picture of the table, the food, the family, I want to understand what this means.

Good luck! I'm sure you have it in you to make this great.




niteowl says...


Thanks for the review! Just realized my formatting didn't work (I had the dialogue in italics to make it less confusing). If this is cute, then I epic failed. It was for Challenge Corner, which was a fight over sweets. I was trying to show my family issues with food/weight. Nicole (me) is the narrator. Yia-Yia is my grandma, who is Greek and fails to understand that we don't want five desserts. I have some revising to do. Thanks again for reviewing! :)



User avatar
6 Reviews


Points: 240
Reviews: 6

Donate
Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:01 am
deleted12 says...



Hi Niteowl! This is a quick review...
Nice job on this poem! It was something I wouldn't of thought of writing a poem about!

But, was it about not being able to eat pie????? Or different opinions??
It kinda was confusing as to the point of the poem...but I'm usually confused all the time so If I say it's confusing it's probably perfectly understandable! :p

But it was a good idea to make a poem about a family dinner...:)

:) -Neon.




niteowl says...


Thanks for reviewing, neonmask! This was supposed to be about my family issues with food/weight as shown in a fight over dessert.




“Isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?”
— L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables