z

Young Writers Society



Ashes and Shards

by niteowl


As glass shatters, new pages turn 
But ink stains can't mend broken skin,
For old love's remnants always burn. 

I keep past kisses in an urn
But with you, a new story begins
As glass shatters, new pages turn 

As love blooms primal passions churn
Which leads to tempers wearing thin
For old love's remnants always burn. 

Your soothing words I had to spurn
I knew they could not mend my sin. 
As glass shatters, new pages turn. 

To familiar arms I did return
And now into flames my heart goes in,
For old love's remnants always burn 

So many chapters, yet I never learn
With ashes and shards, I'll never win. 
As glass shatters, new pages turn
Yet old love's remnants always burn.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar


Points: 846
Reviews: 4

Donate
Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:47 am
christinaLoves wrote a review...



This is really beautiful. I absolutely love it. It gives me a feeling of sadness mixed with reminiscence. This is perfectly written and i think you should have more confidence in it. Im usually quite hard with my reviews, but i feel no need for much. Great job.




niteowl says...


Thanks! :)



User avatar
20 Reviews


Points: 493
Reviews: 20

Donate
Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:57 pm
ToriLynnea wrote a review...



i like the use of varying sentance lengths. you used alot of "advanced" words something i dont see in works very often. you seem to know what you"re doing and have a very vivid imagination and make it easy for the reader to connect and see what you saw while writing this peice. i didnt see many mistakes, if i saw any at all, but dont take my word for it, im not one who notices that kind of thing alot. but all in all, this is a good peice of writing.




User avatar
213 Reviews


Points: 150
Reviews: 213

Donate
Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:22 pm
dark wrote a review...



You seem to be desperate for rhymes here. Using words like churn, burn spurn and turn all together seem to be leading me to believe this. Sorry buts that just what I think. However this poem has no other flaws that I see. Please continue writing great poems like this. I really appreciate being able to read this.




niteowl says...


Hi dark! It does look strange and I'm not the greatest with rhyming poems, but the repetition and rhyming are key to the villanelle format. I do think it could be stronger. Thanks for the review! :)



User avatar
33 Reviews


Points: 2191
Reviews: 33

Donate
Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:32 pm
rwgbookwriter wrote a review...



It really works at driving the point home and you can't seem to get those repeated lines out of your head, its really cool!


While I enjoyed the subtle complexity of your rhyme scheme and structuring, a number of lines were conspicuously strained to adherence. "As love blooms primal passions churn/Which leads to tempers wearing thin" is awkward, and "And now into flames my heart goes in" is redundant. Other lines feel forced.

t's virtually the only line that directly hints at a story beyond the one narrated




User avatar
504 Reviews


Points: 21355
Reviews: 504

Donate
Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:22 am
Kafkaescence wrote a review...



This was done well. The repetition of destructive imagery works well to tune this piece to the angrily regretful ambience I think you were shooting for. Your symbolism was effective, if somewhat stereotypical.

While I enjoyed the subtle complexity of your rhyme scheme and structuring, a number of lines were conspicuously strained to adherence. "As love blooms primal passions churn/Which leads to tempers wearing thin" is awkward, and "And now into flames my heart goes in" is redundant. Other lines feel forced.

Finally, this line struck me.

So many chapters, yet I never learn

It's virtually the only line that directly hints at a story beyond the one narrated through this poem, and was powerful, in that sense. Also, could "chapters" be harking back to the undefined ink symbol in the second line?

Thanks for posting this. Hope I helped.

-Kafka




niteowl says...


Thanks Kafka! I know this is belated, but I haven't had time to work with these in a while. I agree with you about the rhyming. It's not my strong suite and it shows. Still, I enjoyed trying this and I do want to revise it.



User avatar
38 Reviews


Points: 700
Reviews: 38

Donate
Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:12 am
Laminated wrote a review...



Hello! Laminated here for a reviewing.

As has been said already, the lack of punctuation at the end of some lines is a bit distracting. I wouldn't punctuate it the way you have, with only midsentence commas, because it forces the reader into awkward breakless continuation, but without the urgency and simplicity of a poem without punctuation. So yeah, if I were you I would ponder it a wee bit.

I think I love the ABA rhyme that you carry throughout the poem. In fact, I like it so much that I would prefer if you made the last line a new "verse," or a stand alone line to give more impact to both the first three and last lines of the final stanza.

I'm not sure that I'm crazy about the repetition, but it does make the poem feel unified and fixes the problem of running out of words to rhyme with "-urn."

A fabulous use of imagery here, I felt like I was living in memories. Thanks a bazillion for sharing!




niteowl says...


Hi Laminated and thanks for the review! The structure is a villanelle, so it would be odd to have the last line separate. The repetition is key to that form as well. I should go back and check punctuation. I was more concerned with the rhyming. :)



User avatar
30 Reviews


Points: 2972
Reviews: 30

Donate
Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:27 am
mightaswellbuyacat wrote a review...



Okay so all in all a good piece.
First of your lines need punctuation at the end (commas for the first two lines, periods for the second). Also, I feel that the rhyme scheme is somewhat incomplete because you have only three lines. It is less pronounced that way (and begins does not actual rhyme with in which throws it off as well, try googling words that rhyme with 'in' there'll be lots of good suggestions). You also should only capitalize the first word in the stanza because they are not separate sentences. One last thing I will mention is that your last stanza should probably have the same amount of lines as the preceeding ones, for continuity.
What I love about this poem? THE REPETITION. It really works at driving the point home and you can't seem to get those repeated lines out of your head, its really cool! :)
Happy Writing!




niteowl says...


Thanks for reviewing! I should work on my punctuation and there are some weak spots in my rhyming. As for the structure, it's called a villanellle and is pretty strict. Look it up and see if you want to try sometime! :)



User avatar
34 Reviews


Points: 525
Reviews: 34

Donate
Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:45 pm
planve says...



ok..now i think am beginning to fall for your poems.
"As love blooms, primal passions churn"...that's my favorite part. am definitely following you. And please make sure to let me know when you write one again.




niteowl says...


Thanks! I have posted a couple more since then if you want to take a look.




cron
You are beautiful because you let yourself feel, and that is a brave thing indeed.
— Shinji Moon