Layers

by niteowl

Tonight,
let's peel away
all our layers
of "never enough".

Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:52 am
Nargles wrote a review...

Right, haven't reviewed a poem this short in ages.
But! That shan't stop me!

I like this poem, it is interesting, refreshing and rather beautiful.

It has layers and layers of meaning. Several of people have already asked you what 'never enough' means, and to be honest I don't think there is one simple answer. With poems this short there is always going to be a zillion meanings behind something because as a reader you don't have enough content or context to form a clear understanding of the text. Which I think is fantastic. It leaves it open to interpretation, and allows the reader to define what it means. Making it truly a poem for the reader.

So, what do I think this poem means. Well, I feel as if it is a love poem. Where these people are so intoxicated by one another that they can't get enough of the other. That 'never enough' is almost a decleration of love, this vow to the other person that you are never going to get enough of them, you will always be craving more. It's terrifying yet beautiful at the same time. And for me that sums up the poem.

I really don't have any crticism for you. The line structure is great and you don't have any grammatical errors.

All in all I think that this is a wonderful poem, so great job!
Keep writing,
Love Nargles xxx

Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:01 pm
butterfliekisses wrote a review...

I like it. It's hard to review a short poem but this one is really good. I disagree with the reviewers below me and think that "never enough" can be used in your own interpretation. For me i see this in a romantic form. Keep writing more because this one is beautiful.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:25 pm
lostthought wrote a review...

Wow, this is hard. Ummmmm how do you do this. It different trying to review a big poem but this is so short. Wow, eerrrr....

I see that Layers is the title. It seems to fit the poem well I guess. What do the layers mean. Are they a symbol of something? Or are they just a literal meaning.

I can read this over and over again and I'll still be confused. What does "never enough" mean? The guy below me asked and now I am asking again. Is there an answer to this question anyways?

Here is one to end the review

Tonight,
Let's peel away the sorrow
From this
The end of the review

Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:55 pm
Alpha wrote a review...

Hiya, Niteowl!

So, this will be my first-ish attempt to review a short poem, but I'll give it a try. Bear with me through this!

I'll start with the title, Layers. Very simple choice, it portrays what the poem is about effectively. Now my first impression of the poem is one if confusion. This isn't about the layers, it's about what the layers *mean*.

And I read it again. And again. Each time focusing on the meaning of the poem,the *intent*.
That 'never enough' part got me thinking. What do you mean by 'never enough'? Is it the sense of not being good enough for someone? What would the core be, then, if you stripped all the layers of that? A sense of fulfillment? Or is 'never enough' a phrase which is supposed to be considered separately?
Another question: if it's the first case, why is self-inadequacy layers atop layers that need to be peeled? Why isnt it a mask, for example? And then I get it. So maybe it's been collected over the years, by different people, crust over crust over layer over layer. So maybe I got it xD

So there's the power in your poem c: It made me *think*, even though it's short, even though it's a bit vague. Subtlety is powerful.

Right, now this is the end of my review.
Keep on writing. Cheers!
Alpha

P.S. Sorry for any errors, I typed this on my phone xP

Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:38 am
GigiHarris says...

Hi there niteowl :3
WEEEWEW WEE :3
I LIKE LIKE YOUR POEM :3
WEWEW WEEEEEEE :3

The heavens laugh with you in your jubilee; my heart is at your festival.
— William Shakespeare