z

Young Writers Society



Just Like Everyday

by Rainn


*/ This is a weird style that I don't normally do...actually I don't even think this is a style XP
But this is what came out, and I thought it was good enough to share. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Approx. 272 words. /*

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Restless soul
Distracted mind...
Always moving,
moving through time.
 
Never stop to wonder what is really going on,
just pass them by.
Just leave them alone.
You don't need to worry about them, right?
Why should you have to deal with their petty needs.
 
Just because they are starving doesn't mean you have to do anything about it.
Doesn't mean you have to care.
It's not your problem.
 
You pass every day.
Not a glance,
But maybe a thought.
 
Just a little thought.
 
Just a little thought....
 
No, it's not your problem.
Just pass them by.
Just leave them alone.
Just because they are cold doesn't mean you have to give them blankets.
Doesn't mean you have to care.
It's not your problem.
 
Thursday,
Just like everyday.
Sitting on the side of the road.
Waiting for someone.
 
Or no one.
 
Or no one....
 
But no, it's not their problem.
Why should they have to care?
I might make it through.
Might make it....
 
Friday,
Just like everyday.
Walking with my seven-dollar coffee.
Walking seven blocks to work.
Not even giving seven thoughts,
or seven cents for them.
Just like everyday.
 
Just...
 
Just like everday.
 
Monday,
Not like everday.
No more can I think about not thinking about them.
No more can I not be kind.
No more can I look to the ground and see him.
Sitting there.
No more can I not, not ignore.
 
Not ignore.
 
 Never ignore.
 
 Why ignore?
 
 I have cash.
 I have food.
 I have blankets.
 I have random junk I don't use.
 
 Just sitting there.
 
 Just...
 Not like everyday.
 
 The man is gone.
 
 No more not.
 
 Forever.
 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
6 Reviews


Points: 984
Reviews: 6

Donate
Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:15 pm
rosereader6 wrote a review...



Hey Rainn,

Though something that "just came out," I think this was a pretty cool poem to read:) I really liked the style you used. I think one of the themes from it was that someone can keep putting and putting something off, and then eventually it becomes too late to help it. You had a pretty hard concept to portray and I think you did a good job with it by using actual days to explain how it is all occurring over time and even then nothing changes.
I would review more, but I really don't think I would personally change anything about this beautiful poem. Sure maybe a little more imagery would be nice, but in the end, you're not trying to convey a sight, but a feeling.
Very good as always:) Keep it up, I love reading your poems:)
Rose




User avatar
89 Reviews


Points: 1028
Reviews: 89

Donate
Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:54 pm
Karzkin wrote a review...



Hey Rainn, sorry it's been so long. Life and such, y'know.

Ok, so I'm not really digging this poem terribly much. The topic is a potentially powerful one, and your handling of it is fine. All the ideas are there, you're just lacking the execution - the elements that separate poetry from other forms of literature. Most importantly, you're lacking imagery and evocative language.

Restless soul
Distracted mind...
Always moving,
moving through time.

Never stop to wonder what is really going on,
just pass them by.
Just leave them alone.
You don't need to worry about them, right?
Why should you have to deal with their petty needs.

You've told the reader what is happening, but not much more. It reads like a shopping list of actions. There is no colourful language, nothing to draw the reader in, nothing to keep them reading, nothing that makes them connect on an emotional level to what you've written. The problem isn't the ideas, it's how you've communicated them. You need more imagery, more lyricism, more evocative language. More of the things that mark this as a poem and not just prose with line breaks. To improve, I suggest you do two things: 1. practice, duh, and 2. read a whole bunch of stuff. Stuff by the great yws poets, stuff by famous poets, stuff by the most modern, contemporary poets around. To put good stuff out you need to put good stuff in. Develop good taste. How can you write good poetry if you don't know what good poetry is supposed to be like, ya feel?

Keep it up, request a review any time.

K.




Rainn says...


Thanks!



User avatar
100 Reviews


Points: 2878
Reviews: 100

Donate
Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:32 pm
gsppcrocks10 wrote a review...



Hi, Gsp here, and I’ll be your reviewer today! Or one of them, but you know.

Well, let’s jump right in shall we? We’ll start with the things that I noticed that I think could use changing and go from there.

Restless soul
Distracted mind...
Always moving,
moving through time.


Moving needs to be capitalized. As a general rule you should capitalize every line of a poem regardless of how it would be in a regular story format.

Never stop to wonder what is really going on,
just pass them by.


You should capitalize “just”.

Why should you have to deal with their petty needs.


Since this is a question it should be phrased as such. End it with a question mark.

Thursday,
Just like everyday.
Sitting on the side of the road.
Waiting for someone.

Or no one.

Or no one....

But no, it's not their problem.
Why should they have to care?
I might make it through.
Might make it....


This part confused me a bit and it took me a couple of read throughs to realize that this is from the point of view of someone else. I’m not sure what you can do about it, though. Also, the “…”s should come in 3s, otherwise it doesn’t look as good. It’s the same for the “Just a little thought” lines.

Just like everday.


You misspelled “every day” here, and a few more times further on. Also, it’s two words, not one.

No more can I not, not ignore.


This is a double negative. Not ignoring something is paying attention to it, but “not, not ignore” implies that they’re not not ignoring something, if that makes sense?

I have random junk I don't use.


This seems a bit out of place compared to the other lines in the poem.

Just...
Not like everyday.

The man is gone.

No more not.

Forever.


“No more not” doesn’t make that much sense to me, but it’s probably just me.

OKAY, now on to the stuff that I liked!

Restless soul
Distracted mind...
Always moving,
moving through time.


I like the strong start here. It catches your attention.

No, it's not your problem.
Just pass them by.
Just leave them alone.
Just because they are cold doesn't mean you have to give them blankets.
Doesn't mean you have to care.
It's not your problem.


I love the signs of character development here, with the main character doubting him/herself.

Thursday,
Just like everyday.
Sitting on the side of the road.
Waiting for someone.

Or no one.

Or no one....

But no, it's not their problem.
Why should they have to care?
I might make it through.
Might make it....


Despite the fact that this confused me at first, I really love that you did something from the other side of the spectrum. The fact that you wrote it in the same format as the other’s part is a very nice statement too.

Friday,
Just like everyday.
Walking with my seven-dollar coffee.
Walking seven blocks to work.
Not even giving seven thoughts,
or seven cents for them.
Just like everyday.


Seven dollars for a coffee? Wow, this person really is well-off. In all seriousness though, I really like that you continually use the number seven here.

Monday,
Not like everday.
No more can I think about not thinking about them.
No more can I not be kind.
No more can I look to the ground and see him.
Sitting there.
No more can I not, not ignore.

Not ignore.

Never ignore.

Why ignore?

I have cash.
I have food.
I have blankets.
I have random junk I don't use.

Just sitting there.


HUZZAH! Character development!

Not like everyday.

The man is gone.

No more not.

Forever.


Wow. I really love how it peters out like that. It captures a feeling of loss and is very well executed.

All-in-all, I really enjoyed this poem. It’s attention-grabbing and you did an excellent job at telling a story. (As someone who’s hopeless at poetry I’m quite envious). I’m impressed by your prose and your style is excellent. Just keep an eye out for typos and the flow of your words and this could be almost perfect.

Keep on writing!

~Gsp




WritingWolf says...


Thanks :)



User avatar
107 Reviews


Points: 8102
Reviews: 107

Donate
Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:34 am
View Likes
EnchantedPanda wrote a review...



Hello Rainn,

EnchantedPanda here to review your lovely poem as requested!

Wow! This is actually really cool. I see what you mean when you said this had a weird style but I actually really like it. It's got no real format and it's completely all over the place aesthetically but it's actually incredibly, incredibly amazing. I really like the whole theme of this, about caring and karma and all of that. It's a popular message nowadays with so many people starving and dying around us without us choosing to care. I think you showed that it is a choice whether we care or not and since we can help, that's exactly what we should be doing. Great job with the important messages, I think you really conveyed your point very well. Not only through your completely unique use of formatting and actual poetry style, but also through your consistency of original and new phrases.

The first thing I noticed about this when I read this was the really strong beat, you've got a really strong rhythm behind this and you can almost tap your foot along when you're reading this because it has such a solid syllable count. Have you ever considered turning this into a song? Because, really, all you need to do is add a tune and some guitar chords and voila, you're a songwriter! Just consider it, because this has the potential to be a really cool song.

My only major criticism of this is the grammar and a few other small nitpicks which I've pointed out below;

Why should you have to deal with there petty needs.


Simple mistake here. Should be "their" not "there".

But maybe a though.


This is just a typo. I think you mean "thought" not "though".

But no, it's not there problem.


I think you mean "their" not "there".

I favorite part about this was the use of repetition throughout the entirety of the poem. I like the use of different punctuation after the repeated phrase where you turned it around or into a question because I thought it was a really good way of making the reader think and think, this shows impact and it's exactly what you want in a poem. I also enjoyed your used of "Thursday", "Friday" and "Monday" to show that time had passed and the feelings of the person walking past the stranger had become stronger and too hard to ignore. This is also perhaps symbolic of our own lives, showing how our feelings change and grow until we can't ignore them anymore.

Overall I though this was, in one word, amazing. I can tell you've put a lot of thought into the story of the poem and the effect was really powerful and had a lot of impact on the person reading. Please don't fail to message me if you have any comments or questions about this and feel free to return to my review request thread if you want anymore reviews on any other poems that you have posted. I hope my review was helpful to you and I can't wait to see what else you have posted. This was really good and I encourage you to keep writing poetry. You have a lot of talent for it and I look forward to seeing your future writing. Keep up the awesome work.

From EnchantedPanda




Rainn says...


Thank you so much for this great review....I think I should write a song....Yeah...I will :)



User avatar
15 Reviews


Points: 833
Reviews: 15

Donate
Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:06 am
AUnicornNamedJay wrote a review...



HELLO! My name is JAY! :D
ACTIVATE UNICORN POWERS! :P

Well, well, well... I have to say I enjoyed this poem, I don't really know why but I did.

There are some errors in spelling and punctuation but they are minor and can be easily overlooked, but overall I quiet enjoyed this poem. :D

I love the beginning
(Distracted was spelled wrong so I changed it in this little quote unquote thingy below)

"Restless soul
Distracted mind...
Always moving,
moving through time."

And close to the end or the actual end:

" Just sitting there.

Just...
Not like everyday.

The man is gone.

No more not.

Forever."

Except the only problem I have with this is that for me, and I can't speak for everyone else but for me it doesn't quiet flow smoothly... but I did love the way you tried to portray this idea across at this last part. :D

Good Job, I enjoyed it like I said and well yeah... Kk BYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! :D

-Jay.xx. :D




Rainn says...


Thanks for your awesome review! c:




A classic is a book which people praise and don't read.
— Mark Twain