z

Young Writers Society


12+ Mature Content

The fragile paper and a broken promise

by Clarity


I traced over fragile paper
being careful where
I placed the lines,
with my favourite
red crayon.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
5 Reviews


Points: 750
Reviews: 5

Donate
Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:28 am
justgottabeme13 wrote a review...



This is a really really cute little poem. It sounds really nice and has a child-like view on the world. I liked your choice of words like fragile. I like how you used italics for the words red crayon to add emphasis. Just one question, but why did you want to emphasize on that particular point? Thank-you. It was a really good poem. Happy New Year!
justgottabeme13




User avatar
172 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 172

Donate
Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:28 am
Laure says...



:D Nice.

Happy new year!




Clarity says...


Thank you. :)



User avatar
5 Reviews


Points: 240
Reviews: 5

Donate
Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:50 am
leahwoodhouse wrote a review...



Hi Clarity,
This poem is short and sweet and I do enjoy it myself. I find these kinds of poems can also be one of the more difficult types of poems to write. When I read it I think of children because of the red crayon. To me I think of parents trying to be careful as they raise a child which makes the words "fragile" and "careful" work perfectly
I love metaphors and I think that you nailed this.
Great choice of words and keep up the great writing!
I give it an A :)
-Leah




Clarity says...


Nice take on the poem, not my portrayal, but it's a good idea! Thanks for the review. :)



User avatar
37 Reviews


Points: 1433
Reviews: 37

Donate
Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:32 am
krishnathulasi wrote a review...



Hello Clarity :)

Well, its short and sweet. It must be really difficult to write poems which are short and contain meaning.
I am a little confused and yes, I have a few questions.

1. By usage of the word fragile, do you want to convey that the paper is really old?
2. You have placed the lines you said, what does it convey?
3. What is the significance of the red crayon?

Usually, red is used to portray danger or some unpleasant thing, eg. Bloodstain but that will not work here as you have mentioned the word 'favourite'.

And most importantly, in your title, '..a broken promise' , how does it connect to your poem?

Do not get discouraged. No offence meant!

All the best, Clarity!
Keep writing :)




Clarity says...


I think I've answered your questions in my replies below. Thanks for the review. :)



User avatar
935 Reviews


Points: 2806
Reviews: 935

Donate
Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:24 am
Shady wrote a review...



Hey Clarity!

Long time no see. I'm glad to see you've been writing. c:

As you know, I'm rotten at poetry-- but, hey, I want to give it a try for you anyway. Your pacing and rhythm is great. I like the topic you chose, too. As usual, you've got an interesting, abstract idea that you turned into some lovely verses. I enjoyed this piece quite a bit, even though I didn't fully grasp the idea (which is completely usual for me).

My only complaint is...

I traced over fragile paper
Fragile paper? I don't really understand why it's 'fragile'. Like...my Inner-literalist is coming out, probably, but... I'm sort of wondering about the 'fragile' paper. Why not just 'paper' or 'white paper' or... something. I dunno. I just sort of got hung up on that.

So, a good poem, as usual. :) 8/10

As always, if you need any more help or have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Keep writing!

~Shady 8)

P.S.- Congrats on your modliness. c:




Clarity says...


Thank you! Also, the whole thing is a metaphor for self harm. The fragile paper being the skin, etc... :)



User avatar
79 Reviews


Points: 1632
Reviews: 79

Donate
Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:11 am
RachelLeeAnn wrote a review...



Hello, there.
Rachel here to review! :)

Let me start off by saying this: the short length of this poem makes it hard to understand. It has no back story...
Why is this paper so fragile? Is it old?
Are you currently placing these lines, or are you tracing over where you once did so?
What's the significance of a red crayon?
What's the significance of this paper? How does this title relate to the writing?
I feel like these short and to-the-point lines that you've used could definitely make for a great piece, if you included a couple more. It feels as if this piece lacks emotion and/or meaning. Like it's incomplete.

Keep writing; I would love to see where you take this. I think it has great potential. The style you've used almost reminds me of a haiku- very short and vague sentences that come together to create a beautiful story. That's hard to do. Just add some more and this could be great!

-Rae




Clarity says...


The whole poem is basically a huge metaphor for self harm, the fragile paper being the skin... etc. :)



RachelLeeAnn says...


Ohhh... that makes so much sense now.




Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.
— Plato